Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

SRM posted:

It makes sense why they've been so eager to release conversion kits for MKIV guys over the last few months. I imagine this box is gonna be a hell of a gateway drug into the Heresy.

Oh yeah - the more I try to follow the logic of GW it's easy to see that at least recently they've coordinated releases amongst the 3 or 4 divisions they have. They've just released a Calth graphic novel (http://www.blacklibrary.com/horus-heresy/hh-feat/macragges-honour-hardback.html) and all the latest FW releases have led up to this as well: Guilleman, everything Word Bearer, everything Ultramarine, whatever else in the last few months, and presumably they have a good stock of Word Bearer and Ultramarine pads, heads and torsos stocked up and ready to ship out.

They may not have a marketing department but the individual and varied marketing efforts they do have spread out among individual employees and departments somehow work to get the word out. Their product coordination team must be very busy.

also, crossposting from the Terrain thread:
Got my 6' x 6' table as close to finished as I could last week, and it made its public debut!

Imgur album: https://imgur.com/gallery/oiKc9

Some piccies:

finished pic first

12 2400x1200x25mm styrofoam sheets

Casting up tons of plaster rocks

First hill done

About 50 batches of rocks were cast up, this is just a small selection

Starting the second canyon

The hillsides with 28mm figure for scale

Don't like the direction of the river? Swap it!

Putting the boards together for the first time

gap filling

First attempt at gluing the rocks in place

This took forever

Covered the foam with plaster, then PVA sprinkled with sand, rocks and fine soil

A wash of brown paint and watered down PVA darkened things up nicely

Filling in gaps with a paste of neat PVA and soil

Transporting the boards to their first display

And what the boards are actually meant for!

(very) Luckily I was able to do this during my day job, gaining loads of experience on how to do all this stuff so I can make a bunch of terrain and modular boards for myself and my friends. Next up: modular trench boards!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!

boom boom boom posted:

They switched to red after Istvaan

Was it to show their new allegiance or something?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

not lame! posted:

Was it to show their new allegiance or something?

Basically. The First Heretic is about the Word Bearers' fall, and is easily one of the best books BL has put out. Definitely worth a read if you have any interest in the Horus Heresy, even if you don't want to read the other 30 books in the series.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So, uh, Dawn of War 2 got some random new DLC today. It's just a stupid thing called the Ridiculously Bloody Blood Pack, presumably for Halloween. Still, that was kind of out of nowhere.

Aaaaand since I mentioned Dawn of War I have to get in the obligatory: Where's Dawn of War 3? :orks:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SteelMentor posted:

Slowly, but surely, my Mechanicum trundle along.

Was originally going to hold off painting any more 30k duders until I finish my long suffering Skitarii. But after a brilliant showing against Tau the other day, involving mincing several squads and tearing a Commander in half on his own, I figured V-IIILX here deserved a lick of paint.

That's a well painted Vorax, dude bro. Glad they murdered some filthy animes into pulp for the machine god's vast bio sludge factories. I'm picking up a few of these for my own admech- how was it to put together? I had a bitch of a time with the Castellax arms and legs.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

So, uh, Dawn of War 2 got some random new DLC today. It's just a stupid thing called the Ridiculously Bloody Blood Pack, presumably for Halloween. Still, that was kind of out of nowhere.

For only two canabucks you too can get amazing stuff like:

code:
Massively increased frequency of blood 
Ridiculous blood effects upon unit death 
Blood effects upon projectile impacts 
Resized and enlarged blood effects 
Did we mention the blood?
Once upon a time, that poo poo would have been a cheat code you unlocked in-game.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pretty much. It's really dumb that they're charging for something like that. I just don't see many people bothering to buy it. I'm definitely not.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

BULBASAUR posted:

That's a well painted Vorax, dude bro. Glad they murdered some filthy animes into pulp for the machine god's vast bio sludge factories. I'm picking up a few of these for my own admech- how was it to put together? I had a bitch of a time with the Castellax arms and legs.

Weren't too bad to put together in all honesty. You'll wanna play around with the legs/feet as there's no set way to build them, with the instructions outright telling you to play around with posing them. Trickiest parts are probably lining up the ammo-feeds to the magazines after you've bent them and sliding that fiddly little armour plate into the shins (if you'll look, the one I posted is missing his atm, one of his pair came snapped in half and the other I just plain forgot to stick on). Definitely a fun build though.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Thanks man. I might just leave the ammo feeds off and give them drum mags or something. I didn't even notice the missing armour plate.

In other news, I'll just leave this here:
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/MKIV-Maximus-Armour

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Availability: No Longer Available

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This is still available :colbert:
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Legion-MKIV-Maximus-Armour

For now.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

krushgroove posted:

finished pic first
This is a board that any ham should be proud to play on. It looks awesome! Can't wait to see what you can do with the trench board.

Safety Factor posted:

Aaaaand since I mentioned Dawn of War I have to get in the obligatory: Where's Dawn of War 3? :orks:
They also released a new map for Dawn of War 1 out of loving nowhere last month, the Temple of Cyrene. I have no idea why they're putting out extra content for a game that's over a decade old but I can't complain. There's clearly some folks who still really care about the franchise, and I hope it's indicative of them doing something new with the series. The thought of DoW3 makes me randy.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

SRM posted:

This is a board that any ham should be proud to play on. It looks awesome! Can't wait to see what you can do with the trench board.

They also released a new map for Dawn of War 1 out of loving nowhere last month, the Temple of Cyrene. I have no idea why they're putting out extra content for a game that's over a decade old but I can't complain. There's clearly some folks who still really care about the franchise, and I hope it's indicative of them doing something new with the series. The thought of DoW3 makes me randy.

Thanks for your comments on the board! There's plenty I learned that should make the trenches go much smoother...I hope!

I'm wondering if the DLC is a slow tease for DoW3...

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That's exactly correct, actually. Whenever a games company starts re-kindling interest in an older game franchise it's almost always because they're working on the same IP and are raising brand awareness again.

What exactly for? That's the question. It could be a new DOW game, but it could just as well be another game SEGA is working on based on the 40k franchise.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

krushgroove posted:

Thanks for your comments on the board! There's plenty I learned that should make the trenches go much smoother...I hope!

If you're using styrofoam, this stuff

http://www.panelsystems.co.uk/ffd.html

is higher density, and I've used it to craft scenery And props for cosplay:
(Photos from my facebook)

It's more expensive, but so much better to work with- takes an edge and can be sanded to right shape you want.

Only thing was I had to order it by the box (30 sheets of 10mm, 2 foot square at about £2.50 a sheet) - so no good for small projects

Might be an option for the 'Surface Layer', bulking the rest out in the cheaper syrofoam

Renfield fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 29, 2015

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

That's exactly correct, actually. Whenever a games company starts re-kindling interest in an older game franchise it's almost always because they're working on the same IP and are raising brand awareness again.

What exactly for? That's the question. It could be a new DOW game, but it could just as well be another game SEGA is working on based on the 40k franchise.

Dawn of Sigmar.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

BULBASAUR posted:

Space Marine 2 developed by Platinum.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Buschmaki posted:

Space Marine 2 developed by Platinum.
Don't make me beg
(although they'd be better doing an Eversor Assassin game or something)

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

SRM posted:

an Eversor Assassin game or something)

This is called Alien:Isolation.. although you don't get to play as the assassin

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
You play as Kharn during the Heresy, the last level is Skallathrax or w/e the gently caress it's called.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Saints Row, 'cept you're part of a Necromunda gang and killing furries with a chainsword shaped like a dildo.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The chaindildo, truly a weapon for this grimdark age

SRM fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 29, 2015

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Just watched 16 minutes of footage of a battle between Dwarves and Goblins in Warhammer: Total War.

Stoked level: Super stoked.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Haven't checked anything 40k in a while and when I finally get around to it there's confirmation of a 30K plastic box set? My word. :allears: This is everything I wanted from you FW/GW.

:rip: HERE LIES MY BANK ACCOUNT

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
What were the blood angels like during the horus heresy? Which book do I need to read?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DJ Dizzy posted:

What were the blood angels like during the horus heresy? Which book do I need to read?

No one knows yet, they don't have rules. Supposedly they and the other missing legions* will be in the next book, VI. Rules and rites of war only, no special units or primarchs. FW put out Mk IV bits for them though so the new plastic set would be a perfect starting point for them.

*Except Space Wolves and Thousand Sons

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

DJ Dizzy posted:

Almost falling to Chaos because of the Black Rage. It's covered in Fear to Tread

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

I have a bit of blue foam, but nowhere near the amount needed to cover a 4x8 board (I'm going to make a 4x6 board of interlocking modular trenches but also make 2 tiles that are just craters so we can have a no-man's-land between the trenches). It is super expensive compared to the crumbly white foam.

I was able to negotiate that I'd use my own tools and supplies if I can take home the leftover stuff (foam, boards, glue, etc), so I have enough foam to make the trenches plus lots of other terrain. There's also the leftover 6mm MDF to use as bases for the terrain which should help them last a while...and 3 liters of good PVA glue.

I already had enough 2x2 boards cut and waiting to make at least 2 and a half complete 4x6 tables, so the foam is a huge bonus. And the supplier of the plywood mysteriously sent a whole 2400x1200mm sheet of the same 15mm plywood and haven't asked for it back even after I told them, so that may be the base of another 4x8 table.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

Almost falling to Chaos because of the Black Rage. It's covered in Fear to Tread

Wasnt the black rage only post-sanguinius death?

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

You're an eldar cosplayer too? What colors your dress?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Wasnt the black rage only post-sanguinius death?

Nope. Its a dark secret!!!!

Broguts
Oct 16, 2014

Hixson posted:

You're an eldar cosplayer too? What colors your dress?

Dye, presumably.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

serious gaylord posted:

Nope. Its a dark secret!!!!

It's the red thirst, get it right nerds

(The gently caress is the real difference besides hallucinating you're sanguinus)

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

No one knows yet, they don't have rules. Supposedly they and the other missing legions* will be in the next book, VI. Rules and rites of war only, no special units or primarchs. FW put out Mk IV bits for them though so the new plastic set would be a perfect starting point for them.

*Except Space Wolves and Thousand Sons

Fluffwise you nerd.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

boom boom boom posted:

A bad book by a very, very bad author.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DJ Dizzy posted:

Fluffwise you nerd.
:negative:

I think there was some dumb demon-related junk somewhere, but I really have no idea. I tend to stay away from BL books not written by a few specific authors.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

DJ Dizzy posted:

They were a bunch of artists and poets, you know, general pussies, and then their crybaby angel primarch got slapped to death by the greatest hero the Imperium has ever seen.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So they were the Emperor's Children?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

panascope posted:

They were a bunch of artists and poets, you know, general pussies, and then their crybaby angel primarch got slapped to death by the greatest hero the Imperium has ever seen.

This guy gets it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Fsmhunk posted:

So they were the Emperor's Children?

Yeah, but they're really into vampires and more emo

• Locked thread