Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Dave Brookshaw posted:

The new lead Storyteller for the World of Darkness at Paradox is the guy who modeled for the picture of Dracula in V20.
:allears: That is just the best fuckin' thing ever. Actual Dracula is lead ST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lightning Lord posted:

Even this doesn't prevent NWoD stuff from being utilized - maybe Requiem becomes an alternate universe in some video game.
Using Requiem stuff with Masquerade seems a lot easier than using, say, Forsaken stuff with Apocalypse.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Swagger Dagger posted:

As long as my deluxe copy of M20 shows up I don't really care what else happens.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

fspades posted:

You guys are forgetting one important detail: Paradox Dev Studio won't make an rpg; it's outside their expertise (they tried once with that viking game but weren't satisfied with its progress and scrapped the project). But Paradox published Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity and it was a great financial success for them. And I'm pretty sure Obsidian once mentioned they were seriously considering doing a WoD game and approached WW for it just before CCP bought them. They are setting this up for Obsidian.

Don't you loving tease me with getting my hopes up.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Soonmot posted:

Don't you loving tease me with getting my hopes up.

Obsidian has "coyly" tweeted some stuff that basically confirms they'll be in talks soon, if they're not already.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I was JUST talking with my group yesterday about how bloodlines was cool and it sucked there was absolutely no chance of us getting another one because CCP was too busy with it's EVE stuff. Did the universe just conpire to make me look like an rear end in a top hat? I need to be more pessimistic.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Prison Warden posted:

I was JUST talking with my group yesterday about how bloodlines was cool and it sucked there was absolutely no chance of us getting another one because CCP was too busy with it's EVE stuff. Did the universe just conpire to make me look like an rear end in a top hat? I need to be more pessimistic.

Somewhere the God-Machine beeps and boops to itself in satisfaction.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Now you mention it I'm pretty sure I never met my best friend for 8 years until last week.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I've never read an oWoD book. I don't plan to. I've spent too long learning all the lore for nWoD and don't really feel like learning all new (or all old) stuff again.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I'm going to soulforge all the Old World of Darkness fans into ashtrays after hitting them with spirit nukes.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
I really hope that oWoD doesn't make a comeback. Even with all of nWoD's faults, it's way better thematically than oWoD. You really want the Ravnos and the Ascension poo poo over the Ordo Dracul, Demons, and Exarchs? FOH with that poo poo

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

tatankatonk posted:

I really hope that oWoD doesn't make a comeback. Even with all of nWoD's faults, it's way better thematically than oWoD. You really want the Ravnos and the Ascension poo poo over the Ordo Dracul, Demons, and Exarchs? FOH with that poo poo

You're way too late on that

Also just because g.txt is closed doesn't mean you can dump your stray grog in whatever threads you want!

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 30, 2015

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

Also just because g.txt is closed doesn't mean you can dump your stray grog in whatever threads you want!

We all eventually become the Old Bolsheviks

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

tatankatonk posted:

We all eventually become the Old Bolsheviks

now I am getting afraid for the nWoD second editions :(

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Lightning Lord posted:

If you find yourself defending the Ravnos in an internet argument, throw your computer in the garbage and move somewhere without electricity.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
All I'm saying is I would play the poo poo out of a Demon: The Descent video game.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

If you find yourself defending the Ravnos in an internet argument, throw your computer in the garbage and move somewhere without electricity.

Hoping Paradox perpetuates edition wars is pretty silly. No matter how badly the Ravnos were handled, and how right Justin Achilli was to downplay them in the most OWoD way possible.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

ZiegeDame posted:

All I'm saying is I would play the poo poo out of a Demon: The Descent video game.

ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!! RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

The oWoD is mostly bad. The parts most people remember fondly are the products of 90s nostalgia, which is a disease of the mind. The New World of Darkness is good. Instead of living as racist stereotypes, vampires are able to choose their jobs. Instead of whatever the hell is going on in Ascension, mages get to fight the Exarchs. I hope this clears things up.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

tatankatonk posted:

The oWoD is mostly bad. The parts most people remember fondly are the products of 90s nostalgia, which is a disease of the mind. The New World of Darkness is good. Instead of living as racist stereotypes, vampires are able to choose their jobs. Instead of whatever the hell is going on in Ascension, mages get to fight the Exarchs. I hope this clears things up.

That's all true if you play OWoD straight, not as 70s horror comics and early Vertigo the RPG and don't realize the books are full of unreliable narrators and are from the point of view of the different splats - and if you're into edition warring.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Lightning Lord posted:

That's all true if you don't play OWoD as 70s horror comics and early Vertigo the RPG - and if you're into edition warring.
I know Halloween's close and all but do you think you could leave some of the straw out of your men for everyone else

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Lightning Lord posted:

That's all true if you play OWoD straight, not as 70s horror comics and early Vertigo the RPG and don't realize the books are full of unreliable narrators and are from the point of view of the different splats - and if you're into edition warring.

What is "edition warring" and how might the game company Paradox perpetuate it?

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
My suggestion here is to see if you can work "edition war" into your posts a bit more prominently.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

That's all true if you don't play OWoD as 70s horror comics and early Vertigo the RPG - and if you're into edition warring.

I don't know what pejorative weight "edition warring" has for you. It has none for me. As a fan of the World of Darkness, I hope that any future video games set in it choose the better edition of the two.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Well clearly people think their favored game line is going to be axed for spurious reasons, and they're taking it out on a game they don't like. I'm just saying, there's room for both game lines, as the last 3 years has demonstrated.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

tatankatonk posted:

I don't know what pejorative weight "edition warring" has for you. It has none for me. As a fan of the World of Darkness, I hope that any future video games set in it choose the better edition of the two.

Hell, why not take the third option and combine the best aspects of the two? Bloodlines was hardly a 1:1 representation of VtM, for example.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

Hell, why not take the third option and combine the best aspects of the two? Bloodlines was hardly a 1:1 representation of VtM, for example.

That's true. The best parts of Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines were the parts that studiously ignored its connection to the unwieldy metaplot of Vampire: The Masquerade. The worst part was anything involving the Kuei-Jin, which did not.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Generally, anything called Vampire that didn't include the clans(bloodlines)/covenants dynamic of Requiem would be worse for it. It can have all the biblical apocalypse plots it wants, but clans as broad vampire species rather than cliquey vampire cultures is just better, as are things like the Ordo Dracul or Lancea Sanctum.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Lightning Lord posted:

Well clearly people think their favored game line is going to be axed for spurious reasons, and they're taking it out on a game they don't like. I'm just saying, there's room for both game lines, as the last 3 years has demonstrated.

Agreed. Personally, I like both, I just think nWoD is better. I like having two WoDs, as it let me have my cake and eat it too.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Lightning Lord posted:

RPS posted:

Paradox have since revealed a little more on what they intend to do with White Wolf, including a post on the latter’s site confirming that “this vision will be realized in multiple digital games titles.” However, an interview on VentureBeat suggets they’re going even further than that. ““We’re going to start licensing out the brand again from the beginning,” said Wester. “We’ll start with one World of Darkness. We’ll start, basically, from day one to unite the community under one flag.” The feeling is that “no-one has really been paying attention to what the community has been up to in the last few years. There’s going to be an immediate change.”

Existing White Wolf licensing agreements will be re-evaluated, and only those which are working will be retained. Paradox also reveal that negotiations have been going on behind the scenes for the last year. Unclear at present is how many, if any, existing White Wolf and CCP staff will be joining the new endeavour, which will be headed up by Tobias Sjögren, formerly Paradox’s executive vice president of business development.

None of this is the rosy "nothing's going to change, everything's fine, we're just going to get some cool video games" attitude a lot of people hope Paradox is bringing to this.

We are, at the very least, probably going to get a decent video game or two out of it though.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Crion posted:

None of this is the rosy "nothing's going to change, everything's fine, we're just going to get some cool video games" attitude a lot of people hope Paradox is bringing to this.

We are, at the very least, probably going to get a decent video game or two out of it though.

There have been quotes from others since then, some highlighted in this thread, that seem to indicate that this is likely strictly referring to video games.

ScaryJen
Jan 27, 2008

Keepin' it classy.
College Slice
I'd just be happy if they brought back humanity and retaining it as the major themes. I do get that it's a lot less marketable than the seven dot celerity power hour stuff, but that stuff has always bored me to tears. Setting wise, there's gold and garbage in both lines. I hope they cherry pick the good out of them both to make a really good one.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
The only oWoD games to compare to the nWoD stuff are things like Wraith and Orpheus and oDemon, which, amazingly, mostly do their own thing.

*uses oVampire combat to freeze oWoD fans in place while I ready Heinrich Himmler, Tzimisce, for deployment*

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ScaryJen posted:

I'd just be happy if they brought back humanity and retaining it as the major themes. I do get that it's a lot less marketable than the seven dot celerity power hour stuff, but that stuff has always bored me to tears. Setting wise, there's gold and garbage in both lines. I hope they cherry pick the good out of them both to make a really good one.

To me, the nWoD being lower powered always read as deliberate and a selling point. The powering-up of the later gamelines and second editions always rubbed me wrong. :shrug:

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Lightning Lord posted:

There have been quotes from others since then, some highlighted in this thread, that seem to indicate that this is likely strictly referring to video games.

All I'm seeing is "we'll clarify soon" surrounded by vague, soothing PR talk. I mean, take that stuff at face value if you want, but it's probably safer to wait on the new contracts to get signed before trusting in anyone's love for the brand. Paradox didn't buy this vast IP catalog out of a sense of community stewardship.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The only thing I want out of the new ownership is to punt Beast: the Primordial and its Dark Mother metaplot back into the passion-project ooze it crawled out of.

It'd be nice if they came out of the gate with a "One World of Darkness" Vampire video game that was neither new fish nor old fowl to hype up a tabletop release of a 100% fresh system sometime down the road.

The only thing I'd fear in the near-term is if OPP released bad products in the interim.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm a mixed bag of emotions.
Literally 25 minutes before the announcement, I ordered the 2nd edition books. There's no goddamn way that Paradox would think to scrap all that work for some idiotic "unified vision".

Then again, my games are huge mash-ups anyway. I don't really give a gently caress about what is canon.

ScaryJen
Jan 27, 2008

Keepin' it classy.
College Slice

MonsieurChoc posted:

To me, the nWoD being lower powered always read as deliberate and a selling point. The powering-up of the later gamelines and second editions always rubbed me wrong. :shrug:

Same here. That and the all the racist stereotype clans/bloodlines.

nWod did a lot mechanically I liked, but the overuse of gritty grimdark lens on Vampire in particular really soured me on the line. The other lines were hit or miss for me, but this was the case for oWoD too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011