Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

So I found out I am getting a record player for xmas from my wife, and was wondering if there were any must have albums, or if collecting vinyl was more along the lines of find poo poo you like in a familiar genre and listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

numerrik posted:

So I found out I am getting a record player for xmas from my wife, and was wondering if there were any must have albums, or if collecting vinyl was more along the lines of find poo poo you like in a familiar genre and listen.

You get to do whatever you want!

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Yeah, there's no one record out there on vinyl that will change your life even if you don't like the music. Just get what you like, but look out for crappy pressings and being swindled too hard as a consumerist of physical goods! I swear to you, you do not need $45 reissues (usually...) of albums that were the largest selling albums in their day.

"AUDIOPHILE", "180g VINYL" are buzz words to attract you and they should not be trusted all that often.

WASDF fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 28, 2015

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

numerrik posted:

a good rule of thumb is to buy music you'd like to listen to.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

numerrik posted:

Just about any Jean Michel Jarre is high quality dollar bin purchases if you enjoy analog synthesizer goodness.

And buy at least one Chuck Mangione record to do cocaine off of, if you're into that sort of thing.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

Just about any Jean Michel Jarre is high quality dollar bin purchases if you enjoy analog synthesizer goodness.

And buy at least one Chuck Mangione record to do cocaine off of, if you're into that sort of thing.

If you go to the last day of any used record sale, that is literally all that will be there

that and Tijuana Brass

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Thanks for the feedback, I was a little concerned about it after looking up articles about how to store and maintain records and every loving article turned into a must have list article.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

numerrik posted:

Thanks for the feedback, I was a little concerned about it after looking up articles about how to store and maintain records and every loving article turned into a must have list article.

All you need to know about record storage:

That and store them vertically, give them a dusting before you play them, and don't melt them.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Puppy Galaxy posted:

a good rule of thumb is to buy video game soundtracks

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

numerrik posted:

All of these people are wrong.

Frampton Comes Alive

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

numerrik posted:

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

numerrik posted:

you don't need to store them in any special way. just don't stack them on top of each other it will warp the vinyl over time. you definitely don't need to buy a special vinyl desk ...

just remember everyone over 40 owned records long before you could sperg out on the 'net about it. Hold them by the edges when you're handling them, keep them in their sleeves between plays and you're good.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

The Electric Fetus is having a 20% off sale starting today, so I stopped by on my way home. My first time there, and they were either picked over already from the sale or they keep a small stock.

Anyway, I picked up a couple randoms from the dollar bin:

Elton John whatever, sexy man and his thrill hill, and a live double-album involving cowboy hats. I like live albums.

More interestingly, I grabbed the new Metric album ($20 for a brand new double-album? OK). It had a first for me, a transparent record:

Unsurprisingly, it's really good. Side 1A ends with "The Shade," which I've been hearing for months on our local indie radio station and have been craving to buy. In the middle is "For Kicks," a really nice bass-heavy track. The album ends with this gorgeous, sweeping synth instrumental. Really good album.

Probably going to back again this weekend to pick up another new album (local singer Caroline Smith's Half About Being a Woman). I thought it was too expensive when I was there, but now that I'm home I'm kicking myself for not taking the 20% off.

I got the Journey soundtrack. It's Grammy-nominated! gently caress you!

Also the FTL soundtrack. I have no excuse for that one.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

ColdPie posted:

I got the Journey soundtrack. It's Grammy-nominated! gently caress you!
Is that the picture disc? How's that sound? If you've got positive words, I've got money to spend.

My local record store now has a little hutch in the back specifically for video game soundtracks. I still might get that Shenmue disc. I am the problem.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I wonder if I'll get my Manos Ham of Fat LP before Christmas.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I mean I don't care I just thought of Ham of Fat and wanted to post it.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

caligulamprey posted:

Is that the picture disc? How's that sound? If you've got positive words, I've got money to spend.

Yes. The album art is gorgeous. The discs look a little wonky, they've got this weird moire pattern that I can't figure out why is there, but the idea is nice. I've only listened to it once, but it seemed like a fine pressing. It's orchestral music, so probably not something you'd throw on for guests, but if you've played the game it'll invoke some vivid memories.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 28, 2015

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I wonder if I'll get my Manos Ham of Fat LP before Christmas.
I check my tracking number every day, no matter how many apology emails they send.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

I check my tracking number every day, no matter how many apology emails they send.

Don't torture yourself.

I believe.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
The repress of Built To Spill's There's Nothing Wrong With Love should be arriving tomorrow, so that's cool. I spent all day listing to Big Black so I picked up Atomizer on the way home from work. Love that album.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

It wouldn't be a goon-run Manos project without endless delays.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ballz posted:

It wouldn't be a goon-run Manos project without endless delays.

Goons don't run so :shrug:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Keep your eye on the stuff you like that's going to be released in small number special editions. It's a nice feeling to buy something that immediately sells out and has people drooling over your copy. My favourite pickup was the Carpenter Brut trilogy, which wasn't cheap to start with, because I knew it would sell out instantly as the splatter version was limited to 100 copies. Paying over the odds for that kind of thing sucks, get there early and have cool stuff.

Boxsets with unique artwork and interesting coloured vinyl are always my favourite. It still blows my mind I could flip quite a few of my records and actually make money. A foreign concept when I'm selling most of my DVD collection for 50c a disc.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Another thing that was fun was collecting comic books with foil covers in the 90's and watching their value go up in the price guides. Good times.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

We're trying guys, I swear!

It's been really hard with this new pressing plant...the black vinyl copies they turned out sounded great, but almost immediately after they pressed those, their machinery has been breaking left and right. I keep thinking that the spirit of Torgo is somehow involved.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

We're trying guys, I swear!
I have no doubts, but maaaaaaaaaaannnn(os), I'm really excited.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Another thing that was fun was collecting comic books with foil covers in the 90's and watching their value go up in the price guides. Good times.

This dumb bullshit is happening all over again and all the same people still fall for it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

ColdPie posted:

Elton John whatever

There was a video album made for The Fox. You should be able to find all the videos on YouTube.

"Chloe" is my favorite song off that one.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Lol if you collect anything expecting to make a profit.

Good rule of thumb.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Possibly Chicken posted:

Good rule of thumb.

so what about.... record stores... huh... smart guy....

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

stay depressed posted:

so what about.... record stores... huh... smart guy....

I stopped collecting record stores years ago.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Possibly Chicken posted:

Good rule of thumb.
Magic Cards, but you can't hold them for long to make actual money. gently caress that game and the people who play it btw.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

bowmore posted:

Magic Cards, but you can't hold them for long to make actual money. gently caress that game and the people who play it btw.

jeez lighten up on the poor kids

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

CPL593H posted:

I stopped collecting record stores years ago.

[angry face emoji not the red one though just the regular one]

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Thom and the Heads posted:

jeez lighten up on the poor kids

Kids?

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

yes the children collecting playing cards :smuggo:

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Anyone want to post pictures of their signed records?

I just got this back through the mail today!

He signed it in a little over a month.

USPS mangled the corner but it's up in a frame now anyway. I couldn't add any more cardboard to the return envelope without going over the 13oz rule for stamped mail.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
Did you mail it with the record inside?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

cf posted:

Did you mail it with the record inside?

No, just the sleeve.

I put it in a self addressed stamped bubble mailer with two sheets of cardboard inside and a short letter, it was about 12oz and took 9 stamps.

Then I wrapped that up in a big cut up sheet of cardboard like this:

I also contacted his production company first (Storm King Productions) to make sure he would sign and to ask what his fee was. They said to just send it on in with a return envelope and he'd sign it for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BigFactory posted:

:v: It's the same for records of course: the value of any given record you have is not decided until you actually sell your copy.

e: I wonder if the US "philatelic" market has crashed yet? Back when I collected stamps all the dumb gringos were buying new mint stamps straight from the USPS and since they sold in the tens of millions, they're probably worth considerably more as postage than as collectibles.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Oct 30, 2015