Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
...perhaps he should have hired a lawyer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nern
Oct 29, 2005

RIDE RIDIN LIKE THE DEMON INSIDE YOUR DREAMS

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Unless he is specifically excluded from the policy the child may be covered anyway if he lives with the parents, and even if specifically excluded his parents may be liable if he's a minor. But we can't know for sure without knowing where you are or what the policy says.

And in some states it doesn't matter whether the kid cooperates--if you provide the insurer with proof of your loss (what this is varies from state to state), they are obligated to pay within a certain time or they are in bad faith, subjecting them to attorney's fees, penalties, and sometimes even double or treble damages.

I am in Rhode Island

how appropriate would it be for me to contact the other driver directly? obviously in a respectful, civil fashion (not threatening or angry or what have you), just ask them to please make a statement to their insurance so the process can move on and we get this all squared away.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

nern posted:

I am in Rhode Island

how appropriate would it be for me to contact the other driver directly? obviously in a respectful, civil fashion (not threatening or angry or what have you), just ask them to please make a statement to their insurance so the process can move on and we get this all squared away.

It doesn't appear to be in their best interests to do this, so I don't think you have anything to gain by going that route.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Phil Moscowitz posted:

...perhaps he should have hired a lawyer

...perhaps you should read the whole tale. They've been attempting to, allegedly your honor, and perchance for this reason or that forthwence moneypenny, have not been able to secure the accomidations of a barrister.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
They're also going to be very upset with their lawyer when they get MSJed instead of the plaintiff rolling over and settling

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
So I was in an accident and needed an ambulance ride earlier this year. My health insurance paid for all the bills, but for some reason I never got an ambulance bill (should have been a $50 co pay for me). Instead the ambulance company sent my bill to collections. Since I have good credit which I don't want to gently caress up I paid $1300 when the collections agency called. In retrospect this might have been a mistake.

I called the ambulance company and they said they never sent me a bill because they couldn't get my contact information because of hipaa. So, I filed a claim with my inurance to get back my $1250, which promptly got denied with of some cryptic remark codes and a note that I can appeal the decision.

If anyone has some expertise or experience in this area, let me know. $1200 is right at the point where I feel like putting up a little fight. The directions that I got on how to appeal read like documentation you get with your product from Aliexpress.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Withnail posted:

So I was in an accident and needed an ambulance ride earlier this year. My health insurance paid for all the bills, but for some reason I never got an ambulance bill (should have been a $50 co pay for me). Instead the ambulance company sent my bill to collections. Since I have good credit which I don't want to gently caress up I paid $1300 when the collections agency called. In retrospect this might have been a mistake.

I called the ambulance company and they said they never sent me a bill because they couldn't get my contact information because of hipaa. So, I filed a claim with my inurance to get back my $1250, which promptly got denied with of some cryptic remark codes and a note that I can appeal the decision.

If anyone has some expertise or experience in this area, let me know. $1200 is right at the point where I feel like putting up a little fight. The directions that I got on how to appeal read like documentation you get with your product from Aliexpress.

Did you try calling your insurance company and talking to a person? Ask for clarification on how to appeal, what the codes mean etc. It is probably loads easier to start with them than to go a legal route

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres
If I have a VW diesel, what's the best course of action right now? There are firms offering to represent on a contingency basis - what's a fair % for this? Does it make sense to sign up with one now, or wait to see which firm(s) end up as lead counsel in the various class actions? Does it make sense to try to sue or negotiate an offer individually from VW?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Ani posted:

If I have a VW diesel, what's the best course of action right now? There are firms offering to represent on a contingency basis - what's a fair % for this? Does it make sense to sign up with one now, or wait to see which firm(s) end up as lead counsel in the various class actions? Does it make sense to try to sue or negotiate an offer individually from VW?

It's all class action, named plaintiff filings are already done. Unless you are some jurisdictional person that will give a firm a larger footprint (not sure there are any left) odds are you are just going to end up a class member. Our firm already filed and I can ask if you want, shoot me a pm (city state, year of car), at a minimum I can let you know where things are. Not sure of the contingency basis, since you get your share of whatever is awarded to the class and the attorney fees etc are approved by the court.

xxEightxx fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 29, 2015

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
What consumer products should I be investing in to maximize my chances of winning the lawsuit lottery?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

joat mon posted:

What consumer products should I be investing in to maximize my chances of winning the lawsuit lottery?

A. Class action or one on one?
B. What sort of harm are you willing to suffer?
C. (related to B) Is your next of kin sympathetic?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

joat mon posted:

Drugs. Take some poo poo and when you have no bowel or lose a leg in a few years pm me.

the shadow toker
Apr 22, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

joat mon posted:

Online legal advice

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

xxEightxx posted:

Drugs. Take some poo poo and when you have no bowel or lose a leg in a few years pm me.

Unregulated herbal supplements might be a better bet.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Does asbestos count as a consumer product?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Asbestos hasn't been sold since like 1972.

An I guess it is still used in products but in low amounts.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 29, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Go huff low end brake pads.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

A. Class action or one on one?
B. What sort of harm are you willing to suffer?
C. (related to B) Is your next of kin sympathetic?

A. Doesn't matter.
B. Notional to mild inconvenience.
C. Probably moot.

Maybe I need to try a different tack:
Is there some venture capitalist out there willing to buy me a couple diesel VWs? I'll split the lawsuit proceeds 50/50.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Lol if you want to hit it big class actions are not the way to do it, just find a commercial tractor/trailer driving badly and stage a rear end collision, it's criminally easy. If you're willing to have some quack cut open your spine afterwards, even better.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

fordan posted:

Does asbestos count as a consumer product?

When you get cancer in 30-50 years pm me.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

euphronius posted:

Asbestos hasn't been sold since like 1972.

An I guess it is still used in products but in low amounts.

Mid to late 70s for construction material, 80s for auto and truck brakes, mid 90s for some other commercial products like water/sewer pipe, still not banned in the U.S. and used in speciality industrial products. All the asbestos companies packed their poo poo up and moved to India and China, which will have their own epidemic in about 30-50 years.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

joat mon posted:

Farmers insurance.

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012
I have a question about labor law.

I'm considering leaving my job, and my employer is a small private nonprofit organization (over ten, under fifty employees). I have a lot of sick and vacation time, and I'm wondering if it is required that it be disbursed to me when I leave. In previous jobs that I have resigned from, I've been paid for the vacation and sick time I had remaining, but I don't know if this was policy or law. I looked over my employment contract and I didnt find anything on this, aside from listing the rate of sick and vacation time accrued.

Also, does it matter how I leave? I ask because the company has a bad track record with employees leaving. In one instance an employee was fired three days after she put her two weeks notice in.

I work full time hours and this is in the state of Colorado. (Edit) I've been with the company for over two years and have no write ups, grievances, or documented disciplinary actions of any kind.

Thanks in advance, I would really appreciate any advice for this.

Macaroni Surprise fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 29, 2015

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

First that is employment law not labor law second see what cos wage law is. Most states have them.

I doubt you have an employee contract but mAybe your handbook will say.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Macaroni Surprise posted:

I have a question about labor law.

I'm considering leaving my job, and my employer is a small private nonprofit organization (over ten, under fifty employees). I have a lot of sick and vacation time, and I'm wondering if it is required that it be disbursed to me when I leave. In previous jobs that I have resigned from, I've been paid for the vacation and sick time I had remaining, but I don't know if this was policy or law. I looked over my employment contract and I didnt find anything on this, aside from listing the rate of sick and vacation time accrued.

Also, does it matter how I leave? I ask because the company has a bad track record with employees leaving. In one instance an employee was fired three days after she put her two weeks notice in.

I work full time hours and this is in the state of Colorado. (Edit) I've been with the company for over two years and have no write ups, grievances, or documented disciplinary actions of any kind.

Thanks in advance, I would really appreciate any advice for this.

You should get your accrued vacation pay if you leave.
CO Revised Statutes Section 8-4-101(14)(a)(III) (on page 2)

quote:

If an employer provides paid vacation for an employee, the employer shall pay upon separation from employment all vacation pay earned and determinable in accordance with the terms of any agreement between the employer and the employee.

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012
Edit: ∆ wow thanks for that. ∆

Thanks for the reply, looking up wage laws led me to a phone line which will help, though they're not available today. I'm trying to find an employee handbook now.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Macaroni Surprise posted:

Edit: ∆ wow thanks for that. ∆

Thanks for the reply, looking up wage laws led me to a phone line which will help, though they're not available today. I'm trying to find an employee handbook now.

You probably don't get sick time paid out, FYI.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Burn the leave now, then quit.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Zauper posted:

You probably don't get sick time paid out, FYI.

But some places do allow you to donate your sick leave to a pool for people who get megasick, so that's always a nice option.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Burn the leave now, then quit.

This wasn't a joke suggestion. Go on vacation, call in sick every week, then quit.

Tingles
Jul 26, 2006

Please forgive me if this sounds stupid for posting this here. I'm just curious.

Today, someone used my credit card to buy approx. $1000 in merchandise in two separate stores (twice in one, once in another.) Fortunately my awesome bank alerted me and declined the card after their 4th attempt and shut it down. We are able to see where the money was spent.

Is it a bad idea to call the retailers and alert them about the purchases, just to see if the cashiers recall the transactions? The only reason I ask is because I work in retail and customers are a blur toward the end of the day.

I realize that my bank will handle it for us, and they have been amazing so far, but shouldn't retailers be alerted asap about people to watch out for? Especially if it may take my bank a few weeks to deal with this? At my job, an email is sent throughout the district whenever something like this happens so all are aware of suspicious activity.

Like I said, I'm just curious. I am not going to do a thing because time doesn't permit and I trust my bank.

Thanks for the replies!

edit- I do not know who used the card. Seems to have been swiped (? if that is the correct term)

Tingles fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 30, 2015

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Nobody in retail is ever going to give a poo poo about that.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
The creditcard company will probably open an investigation with law enforcement to go after the people doing this. Your only concern should be getting the charges reversed and your credit card replaced.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

joat mon posted:

A. Doesn't matter.
B. Notional to mild inconvenience.
C. Probably moot.

Maybe I need to try a different tack:
Is there some venture capitalist out there willing to buy me a couple diesel VWs? I'll split the lawsuit proceeds 50/50.

You want one on one, and it sounds like asbestos exposure(which frequently only pays when you get cancer) or a slip and fall. Try publicly owned offices in historically conservative states that are also undergoing construction for the former, and midlevel grocery chains, especially failing or subpar ones, for the latter. You don't want dietary supplements- the companies are either a) too poor or incompetent to pay or b) surprisingly vicious litigators, if they're big enough.

Also, for the record, I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, and this is a post on the Something Awful Comedy Forums.

Tingles
Jul 26, 2006

Toshimo posted:

Nobody in retail is ever going to give a poo poo about that.

OK, speak for yourself.

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

The creditcard company will probably open an investigation with law enforcement to go after the people doing this. Your only concern should be getting the charges reversed and your credit card replaced.

And that is what is happening. Agreed and thanks HS.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

He's right. Nobody in retail is going to give a poo poo.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

He's right. Nobody in retail is going to give a poo poo.

Basically.

"So could you tell me if you remember someone using a credit card a week or two ago, approximately at this time? Like, was he shifty and cackling as he threw open his coat and pulled out a fake credit card with a cart full of mountain dew? No?"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Also, this person will almost certainly never get caught or face any consequences for their actions.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Tingles posted:

Please forgive me if this sounds stupid for posting this here. I'm just curious.

Today, someone used my credit card to buy approx. $1000 in merchandise in two separate stores (twice in one, once in another.) Fortunately my awesome bank alerted me and declined the card after their 4th attempt and shut it down. We are able to see where the money was spent.

Is it a bad idea to call the retailers and alert them about the purchases, just to see if the cashiers recall the transactions? The only reason I ask is because I work in retail and customers are a blur toward the end of the day.

I realize that my bank will handle it for us, and they have been amazing so far, but shouldn't retailers be alerted asap about people to watch out for? Especially if it may take my bank a few weeks to deal with this? At my job, an email is sent throughout the district whenever something like this happens so all are aware of suspicious activity.

Like I said, I'm just curious. I am not going to do a thing because time doesn't permit and I trust my bank.

Thanks for the replies!

edit- I do not know who used the card. Seems to have been swiped (? if that is the correct term)

This is the MO of organized crime. Your card data was read by an ATM skimmer or restaurant employee, sold on the black market, and purchased in bulk by criminals who recruit people on craigslist, send them a stack of cards and pre-printed shipping labels to buy small expensive poo poo and ship it to a drop location to be resold. The person you're trying to track down didn't steal your card, they may not even realize what they did was a crime because they're probably pretty dumb. Everyone from the bank to the retailer is a lot better equipped to handle this than you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Last time my credit card got compromised, the CC company wouldn't even tell me where it happened, because as often as not, retailers and employees are victims of fraud just as cardholders are.