Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I want to print and frame this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Joementum posted:

Yeah, they're probably an even better buy today.

even 538 disagrees at this point

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/jeb-bush-cnbc-republican-debate/

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Winkie01 posted:

Trip Gabriel
‏@tripgabriel
This is frustration: for Jeb in Iowa, 70,000 calls made, 76 county chairs & 129 precinct leaders recruited. But only 1,281 Id'd supporters.

:lol:

this is obscene

recruiting 4 volunteers in a week? 63 supporters? these numbers would be embarrassing for a small town municipal campaign.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Jeb's campaign is like an old, sick dog that can no longer get up to go outside to piss and poo poo. It's sad, almost heartbreaking to watch, and the dog still has a will to live, but you know you have to do the right thing and put it out of its misery.

Jeb: Imagine a dog making GBS threads all over the floor -- forever.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

I don't think you understand the point. In all likelihood Bush's shares will rise and fall several more times before March even if he's not the nominee. That is what makes him a good buy right now.

He's not going to drop out tomorrow and that's not what 538 is saying.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mitt Romney posted:

Didn't some of the anti-Marco slides make an appearance about a week ago?

Yes, the campaign have about the third of the deck to reporters last week.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 22, 2016

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

PT6A posted:

Jeb's campaign is like an old, sick dog that can no longer get up to go outside to piss and poo poo. It's sad, almost heartbreaking to watch, and the dog still has a will to live, but you know you have to do the right thing and put it out of its misery.

Jeb: Imagine a dog making GBS threads all over the floor -- forever.

Except this dog is also a piece of poo poo that is getting what it deserves.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

WTF is this crap? This is like something that would get you laughed out of a business school class, and believe me, business school is a joke (except for Wharton where Trump went, it's great and so is Trump).

If some goober presented this to me I wouldn't give 'em a nickle. That is some 4th grade quality crap.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Your PowerPoint presentations are amatuer-level, Jeb.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Peachstapler posted:

Your PowerPoint presentations are amatuer-level, Jeb.

Some of them are nice slides, I've seen them. The people who made them are my friends, but let's face it, the presentation's a total disaster.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Sort of.

quote:

And Republicans have a lot of alternatives. While Rubio has some problems too — his third-quarter fundraising was pretty abysmal, for instance — he fits the profile of the electable conservative. If Rubio were to falter, the Republican establishment would have a few backup options left, such as Christie or John Kasich (or in an emergency, even Mitt Romney). These candidates also have flaws, Christie especially, but they aren’t necessarily more severe than Bush’s.

Not exactly a carillon ringing BUSH IS DEAD

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
What did !JEB! do at the debate? I hear he hosed up bad?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Pinterest Mom posted:

this is obscene

recruiting 4 volunteers in a week? 63 supporters? these numbers would be embarrassing for a small town municipal campaign.

lmao they searched for an entire week, made 10,000 phone calls

and came up with 53 supporters

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Skellybones posted:

Everything he said was stupid and every interaction he had with other candidates ended with him looking like a loser.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Skellybones posted:

He tried to call out Rubio for missing votes and got dunked on pretty hard.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Teddybear posted:

He tried to call out Rubio for missing votes and got dunked on pretty hard.
Because I only saw highlights I dunno the full context of Jeb's attack. Was there any?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Because I only saw highlights I dunno the full context of Jeb's attack. Was there any?

The moderators bring up an editorial in a Florida newspaper about Rubio's attendance. He knocks the question out of the park. Jeb! hasn't had enough, and whines that "as a constituent" he's offended.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I feel the fact checking should be relegated to the post-debate analysis, but that's just my opinion and I don't know that I'm right

I like you and agree with almost everything you say, but expecting the media and the American populace at large to pay attention to fact-checking after a debate just feels naive in the worst way. I mean, Carson's ludicrous tax plans weren't presented for the first time at these debates.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

iJeb! tried a "gotcha" attack on Marco and then Marco responded and then iJeb!... well... have you ever had one of those dreams where you're in some public space and you suddenly discover that you're naked or only clad in your underwear and you're mortified, wondering how the hell this could have possibly happened and how you're gonna escape? We witnessed a person experiencing a waking version of that dream on live national television.

Yeah, I'll never understand this. I can see walking into something like that if it's off-the-cuff and spontaneous, but this was his prepared attack. Did he just figure that Rubio would fold up and start crying on stage and just not have a response?

I think they all were hoping that they'd be the next Candy Crowly starring in this year's version of the Please Proceed Governor clip that would go viral and make them a superstar.

Do the media actually recognize that this was a correct and good thing to do? My understanding is that Crowley doing that was and is controversial.

Joementum posted:

:lol: The Texas Land Commissioner is listed as a "notable endorsement" on page 77.

I kinda figure he was in the room - less about looking good to donors and more about acknowledging him.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Don't forget that the biggest debate moment in 2012 was a moderator fact checking Romney

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
This one is pretty eye popping. We loaded the question hard and 1/3rd still said "what the gently caress are you trying to start Iraq war part 3?"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 22, 2016

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Double Down describes the Romney campaign as being absolutely livid over Crowley's intrusion into the debate. They had carefully negotiated the debate rules beforehand and she was not to opine or otherwise insert her own views into the debate. I don't know that the level of criticism was fair, at least in terms of how vehement it was from the right. She is actually kind of timid about her comments and it's only after prompting from Obama that she flat-out backs up Obama's statement, but she's reticent about it.

The Crowley incident and an MSNBC primary debate were repeatedly cited by Reince when they came up with the list of networks allowed to sponsor debates this time.

Now they're complaining about CNBC (and there were complaints about the last two debates as well) because they don't seem to understand that outside of their little hugboxes their policies make no sense.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, I get it. There's that tension between being a journalist (and your duty to inform the public) and an impartial moderator and there's most likely a fair amount of pre-debate negotiation over the role of the moderators and the balance between the two.. The thing is, if you start in with the fact-checking, then you're in danger of falling down the rabbit hole and spending most of the debate having to correct every asinine statement made by every candidate and it's gonna be a rough night for you.

That's fair. I just worry that if you're that worried about that rabbit hole, you end up spending the debate just giving candidates a rotating 30-60 second spot for them to deliver parts of their stump speeches. Which, blech -- that doesn't tell me anything. But I can see the problem.

Joementum posted:

Now they're complaining about CNBC (and there were complaints about the last two debates as well) because they don't seem to understand that outside of their little hugboxes their policies make no sense.

This is my basic reaction. The democrats, aside from complaints about time (Webb, Lessig if he counts), haven't whined about what the moderators asked. And I don't think that's because the media is pro-Democrat.

Xenophon fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 30, 2015

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
They should just use the crawl underneath to relay a crack fact checking teams running findings

4 mins previous - Ben Carson - I didn't sell fart pills - false - see: any hit from googling ben carson and fart pills

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Nah, I come at it from a different angle. It was the worst moderation that I've seen at a presidential debate, full stop.

We could have had some righteous inter-party squabbling if the moderators had just mellowed out, asked normal questions, and let these clowns do their thing. Instead, the moderators wanted to get in on the action and drop some sick burns in response to some of the answers they got to their questions like it was a hard-hitting 60 Minutes piece or something. Let the other candidates chime in to dispute the questionable claims someone made, you retards! In fact, the candidates tried to do that but they were shouted down -- by the moderators!

CNBC was scrub league trying to do "investigative journalism" during a debate lol. Ask your question then sit back and let everyone have at it. Keep everyone honest about the clock and bam -- you'll have fireworks naturally. That's all that was needed.

You know, I like this analysis better than the way I was approaching it. Thank you.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
For the next Republican debate, I want a format where everything a candidate says has to be phrased in the form of a scathing attack on one of the other candidates on stage. And if a non-Republican candidate gets mentioned, whoever does it gets publicly whipped, because I'm so sick of them using Hillary as some sort of punchline (not that I like Hillary, I just find it stupid).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Joementum posted:

The Crowley incident and an MSNBC primary debate were repeatedly cited by Reince when they came up with the list of networks allowed to sponsor debates this time.

IMHO, any time moderators fact-check obvious lies from the candidate they're doing a service to the democracy. From what I watched last night, I saw the moderators asking legitimate followup questions, which seems like exactly what they should have been doing.

These people are running for president. The country deserves for them to be asked actual tough questions. If they're such whiny babies that they can't handle getting asked a followup, or so reliant on spin that they can't handle having their lies called out publicly, maybe they should just go spend more time with their families.

I really don't get why people are buying into this :cry: BOOHOO THE MODERATORS WERE SO MEAAAANN :cry: narrative. It isn't their job to be nice.

EDIT: there were some truly bad questions yes but some of the moderators asked actual real followup questions, which is so rare to see in American media that I think it balanced out the bad questions.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 30, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Xenophon posted:

The democrats, aside from complaints about time (Webb, Lessig if he counts), haven't whined about what the moderators asked.

Well there was, "The American people are tired of hearing about your drat emails!"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Joementum posted:

Well there was, "The American people are tired of hearing about your drat emails!"

Yeah, that's fair. On the other hand, it compares pretty directly with Christie's complaint about the fantasy football question. Maybe I'm biased somehow but both those seem like legitimate media critiques because they're criticizing the media for following non-story, non-issue bullshit instead of asking substantive questions.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So, according to Politico, there's going to be a summit meeting of many of the campaigns this weekend to discuss overthrowing the RNC's debate schedule and working out something different amongst themselves. The only problem is that all the campaigns have different ideas of what that something else should be.

The meeting is being led by the Trump, Carson, Jindal(!), and Graham(!!) campaigns, and will be attended by the Fiorina, Huckabee, Paul, Rubio, and Santorum campaigns. (That's 9 out of 14/15 candidates depending on whether you count Gilmore)

The short version is Trump wants shorter length, Carson wants easier questions, Jindal wants to get into the big kids' table, Graham wants two debates of 7 candidates each with the candidates randomly selected.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/gop-campaigns-rnc-debates-215371

Reince is not invited to this get together.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Patter Song posted:

The meeting is being led by the Trump, Carson, Jindal(!), and Graham(!!) campaigns, and will be attended by the Fiorina, Huckabee, Paul, Rubio, and Santorum campaigns. (That's 9 out of 14/15 candidates depending on whether you count Gilmore)

whoa, are they not asking Bush what his opinihahahahahaha

Patter Song posted:

Carson wants easier questions
yeah I'll bet ahahahaha

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Apparently Jeb! is a fan of RSF's rather fun take on graphs:

Seriously there has got to be a better way to display that data.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 22, 2016

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Xenophon posted:

whoa, are they not asking Bush what his opinihahahahahaha

Those are just the ones that are going to the Trump/Carson/Jindal/Graham-thrown party. They said they invited everyone. (I do not know whether Jim Gilmore is part of "everyone")

The list of those not (yet?) attending are Cruz, Kasich, Jeb!, Christie, and Pataki. Of these only Cruz is relevant and I expect his campaign will not challenge Trump and Carson on this given hating debate moderators is his new thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
TALK RADIO ROUND UP:

Rush: The debate was terrible, Cruz was amazing, Rubio did really well. He also spun this into an attack on Romney, since Romney criticized alternative media(internet/talk radio), stating if it was up to Romney ALL MEDIA WOULD BE CNBC... Rush also thanked Donald Trump for changing the Republican party forever - They are now fighters...(I think most of them are trying to be Trump)

Laid heavy criticism at the feet of Jeb, thinks it was a massive mistake to go after Rubio on a night where no one was attacking (save Kasich) thinks Kasich and Jeb stood out at the obvious establishment guys, and losers. Thinks Jeb should fire his hack campaign managers, reset.

I turned it off after the first hour because I actually had to work.

Hannity: More Cruz love, worst debate ever, CNBC should be ashamed, Jeb is a mess, Hannity is really tough and does MMA, asked Carson about the magic drink, Carson dodged again. Turned it off as my brain started melting.

Levin/Master Shake: Screamed that it was the best debate ever. That Republicans are finally FIGHTING BACK AGAINST THE LAMESTREAM MEDIA. Thinks Prince Pubious should be fired and killed. Cruz is the greatest, they all followed Cruz. Trump was ok. Thanked Donald Trump for changing the Republican party. Went easy on Jeb, feels sorry for him at this point, thinks Kasich is a huge DOPE and a RINO. Turned it off after 45 minutes. Closed my eyes and all I see is Master Shake screaming about THE CONSTITUTION AND THE LIBERAL GOVERNMENT MONSTER OF TYRANNY COMING FOR YOUR RIGHTS WE THE PEOPLE.

• Locked thread