Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
There seems to be some kind of unit gently caress-up.
GasProperties.sbc gives the energy density of hydrogen as 0.001556 MWh/L (the unit is specified in a comment), which matches with the ideal value of compressed hydrogen on Wikipedia. Cubeblocks.sbc shows power output of reactors and consumption of thrusters in MW. However, in-game a thruster rated at 10 MW consumes 10 MWh per second, i.e. 3600 times faster than it should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Hey, so I figured I'd finally try to get into this game and do the tutorial. Only problem is, this door, about 2 minutes into the first tutorial likes to close really fast. Any idea how to get past it?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Doors are buggin out at the moment, might wanna wait for the hotfix to drop.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Yeah, this week's patch has been a bit dodgy because of all the new stuff they're trying to fiddle with to get planets ready. If we're really lucky, we might see a hotfix come Monday (it's happened before for some of the more worse weeks). By-and-large the game is really stable, it's just that they're ramping up to add a decent chunk of new content and over the last few weeks a lot of the back-code has to been changed (ie; broken, fixed) to accommodate it.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Fayez Butts posted:

Hey, so I figured I'd finally try to get into this game and do the tutorial

For those of you just joining us, Keen has a furiously fast patch cycle. They can drop hotfixes up to twice a day if they have do, and do a substantial patch every week. So when we say "wait for the hotfix", don't worry, it won't be long :)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention from watching the stream; Apparently planets are complete whole entities, there's no barrier past a certain depth. It's just you and how long you can last before you run out of RAM from digging Too Deep towards the other side.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
But the server would need to hold that information as well, right?

So the real limitation would be the server hardware restricting everyone, and further restrictions imposed by low-end client hardware.

As I have at least as much ram as any dedicated hosts I've seen for rent for games of this style (last time I looked anyway), I wonder if that means I can base like a submarine, beyond the reach of those with less than 32 GB.

Edited to induce coherency.

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 25, 2015

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

GotLag posted:

There seems to be some kind of unit gently caress-up.
GasProperties.sbc gives the energy density of hydrogen as 0.001556 MWh/L (the unit is specified in a comment), which matches with the ideal value of compressed hydrogen on Wikipedia. Cubeblocks.sbc shows power output of reactors and consumption of thrusters in MW. However, in-game a thruster rated at 10 MW consumes 10 MWh per second, i.e. 3600 times faster than it should.

Are you saying it consumes 36GW?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Made some changes to the upper hull to fix how flat it was (I never really liked it, and it's a holdover from the ship I used the hull from originally). Cant decide if I should leave the little step between the forward Mk.3 cannons empty or add some extra guns there though. I was also gonna slap it onto the Workshop as a Blueprint because it's pretty much finished (saving a World version until Planets are out so I can show off some of the subcraft properly), except that something in this week's patch also borked Artificial Mass Blocks so the gravity cannons aren't working properly until that gets taken care of (:argh:).

But that's not much fun on its own, so I instead decided to try out one of my new airburst nukes on it. With the shields off (not that they make much difference against a Nuke).

RADIOLOGICAL ALARM! :byodood:

Surprisingly the drat armor actually ate it.

The interior's fine except for one minor breach closest point to the blast, right outside the CIC.

edit: There's a sneaky undocumented change this week I came across that should please most people; Looks like KSH got fed up with everyone complaining about the Connector's pull being varying degrees of too-strong, because now there's a manual slider to adjust it :v:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 25, 2015

Random Encounter
Jul 19, 2007
Freeform for life

Neddy Seagoon posted:

edit: There's a sneaky undocumented change this week I came across that should please most people; Looks like KSH got fed up with everyone complaining about the Connector's pull being varying degrees of too-strong, because now there's a manual slider to adjust it :v:.

Thanks for spotting that, reducing the strength of the connectors minimizes ships spinning out of control when connected.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Neddy, can you double-check the mods that your hangar bay module uses?

I pasted it on my world and the game complained that some blocks are missing. It's nothing critical, though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HardDisk posted:

Neddy, can you double-check the mods that your hangar bay module uses?

I pasted it on my world and the game complained that some blocks are missing. It's nothing critical, though.

Is that the one ripped out of the Endeavour? I'll give it a quick look.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Yeah, that one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HardDisk posted:

Yeah, that one.

Gave it a quick poke (and a minor cleanup), and I think it was just a few extra Interior Conveyor blocks that eventually got folded into the main mod (corner pieces and such). Nothing that'll actually affect the bay itself.

I've also actually been fiddling with a new Endeavour-sized ship, incidentally.

No Gravity Cannons or programming core like it's big brothers (the openings at the front are a set of Sidonia-style reverse thrusters), it's just a simple (relatively) cheap mass-fire Frigate to go exploring with without any system-chugging at all.

The size of it may be partly so it can be produced by Construction Limpets :v:.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I am never not amazed by the things you make, Neddy. Thanks for the continual entertainment.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

VanSandman posted:

I am never not amazed by the things you make, Neddy. Thanks for the continual entertainment.

I'm mostly making neat poo poo for fun, partly seeing if I can dial in a personal tech tree to see about going from small-start to colossal battleship as quickly as possible. Once you get to the remote-controlled Construction Limpets though you're pretty much there if you can gather enough resources, as they eat ships and poop new ones from blueprints. Or self-replicate to make more Limpets to build bigger/multiple ships together :v:.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Thanks. :v:

I feel like I'm running in circles trying to build that asteroid base on survival. It's always way more cramped than I had imagined, and when I build a bigger room, it takes a lot more space and a lot more materials Steel plates. And the interiors are all just the plain and boring armor blocks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HardDisk posted:

Thanks. :v:

I feel like I'm running in circles trying to build that asteroid base on survival. It's always way more cramped than I had imagined, and when I build a bigger room, it takes a lot more space and a lot more materials Steel plates. And the interiors are all just the plain and boring armor blocks.

Have you tried Sektan's Interior Walls? They look really cool, have a lot of blocks for various design situations (intersecting corners, double-sided walls, etc) along with variants that have conveyor tubes.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

But then I will have squishy interior walls exposed to the outside. :ohdear:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Played around with Hydrogen Thrusters a bit, and while they're not so great on Large Blocks (compared to most mod versions), goddamn are the small-block ones amazing.

Added some to my Bumblepods and with just eight of the drat things it's able to keep itself airborne, fully-loaded, in 1G gravity. Also added it to the Workshop. Basically build the tool "hands" you want, do the job, detach them into the hellish death of your base/ship's grinders, weld on whatever you need next from its onboard projectors (welders, grinders, drills, or guns). No idea what the actual flight time on them is like with four filled gas tanks though :v:.

I was actually hoping to use the maglocks added to the tool hands to keep them stationary so they can be collected for re-use later, but the breaking force of the merge block just unlocks them :sigh:. Either that or it's a fun bug from disconnecting the Connectors.

HardDisk posted:

But then I will have squishy interior walls exposed to the outside. :ohdear:

You'll just have to encase them in an extra layer of light armor for a sweet interior and exterior :colbert:.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Your base should be super secret stealth anyway.

I built a pretty simple full glass enclosure on the surface of 'roid, but underneath made a minuscule man sized tunnel that opens into a giant container/refinery/assembler blob. Tunnel is not accessible due to decoy blocks built over it, so no one will ever find your stuff/have reason to attack you due to you seeming to be small fry.

Looks like a peaceful little truck stop with no defenses, actually a full sized frigate shipyard using this mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=507705420

I just need to hollow out another section in the naturally tunneled out section, insert this into it and give it a full Hanger Door covering and then it's finished. I will post a screenshot once the LOD asteroid bug is fixed and I can safely leave my base without getting lost in nothing.

Tonight I'm going to see how small you can make a remote miner, as a complex base distributed throughout an asteroids internal man made pathways would be very hard to kill with lighter weapons.

Edit: The Automated Inventory Sorting mod appears to no longer work for me, though other mods like the LCD one do. I have looked in the pages discussion section for people with the same problem but they tend to not get answers.

Has any of you had a problem with it, and if so, how did you rectify it?

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Oct 27, 2015

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

So I'm having some issues with getting through the tutorial. It's been a long time since I've played and wanted a refresher, but apparently hanger doors keep instantly shutting closed and not opening back up. I was able to get around it in the first tutorial but when I get right to the end of the 2nd one it literally instant-shuts me out when I get close...

Should I just wait for planets and spiders?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ass_Burgerer posted:

So I'm having some issues with getting through the tutorial. It's been a long time since I've played and wanted a refresher, but apparently hanger doors keep instantly shutting closed and not opening back up. I was able to get around it in the first tutorial but when I get right to the end of the 2nd one it literally instant-shuts me out when I get close...

Should I just wait for planets and spiders?

Airtight Doors are kinda buggy this week, sadly. Best guess is they changed something when coding the new sliding doors and broke all of them by accident.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

What am I doing wrong when I'm trying to build a station? I have Station Voxel Support turned on, that means I should build the starter block halfway into a piece of asteroid if I'm not entirely mistaken. If I try to build it too far "inside", the game won't let me, or the starting light armor piece goes tumbling away into space. Apparently if I just barely embed it the station can still go tumbling away if I nudge it too hard? I've tried this three times now and I can't get a station to stay put. Should I just accept fate and turn off voxel support so stations stay in place in open space?

Maybe it's just kind of lovely since the last patch? I notice my astronaut seems to be clipping through walls too.

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

Darth Various posted:

What am I doing wrong when I'm trying to build a station? I have Station Voxel Support turned on, that means I should build the starter block halfway into a piece of asteroid if I'm not entirely mistaken. If I try to build it too far "inside", the game won't let me, or the starting light armor piece goes tumbling away into space. Apparently if I just barely embed it the station can still go tumbling away if I nudge it too hard? I've tried this three times now and I can't get a station to stay put. Should I just accept fate and turn off voxel support so stations stay in place in open space?

Maybe it's just kind of lovely since the last patch? I notice my astronaut seems to be clipping through walls too.

There seems to be some texture/rendering issues in this patch which might be what you are having happen with clipping through walls.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Various posted:

You are mistaken. All Station Voxel Support means is that when you blow pieces off of a Station they become Large Ship chunks that go tumbling off. Or falling to the ground on a planet because your building just got leveled.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

McGiggins posted:

The Automated Inventory Sorting mod appears to no longer work for me, though other mods like the LCD one do. I have looked in the pages discussion section for people with the same problem but they tend to not get answers.

Has any of you had a problem with it, and if so, how did you rectify it?

There is a new mod with the same name but ending with the word "fixed" that does what it says, at least for basic functions. I never got crazy with it, but the basic functionality has really become required for me. The fixed mod brings that back.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
How the gently caress did I manage and miss noticing this for so long?

Good thing I have to add a few more lights around anyway :cripes:.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How the gently caress did I manage and miss noticing this for so long?

Good thing I have to add a few more lights around anyway :cripes:.

God, what a piece of poo poo ship you have there. I suggest you blow it up and start a new one from scratch with properly aligned lights.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

counterfeitsaint posted:

God, what a piece of poo poo ship you have there. I suggest you blow it up and start a new one from scratch with properly aligned lights.

I tried nuking my mistake away to hide the shame.

The ship just started healing itself :ohdear:. Especially once I actually add the blueprint to its onboard repair projector.

Lazermaniac
Sep 2, 2007
Do not stare into beam with remaining eye.
Does anyone have any experience with modding this game? I've got some Issues(tm) with a mod I'm working on, the Keen modding forum completely ignored my plea for aid, and the official SE modding skype convo has been discussing the finer points of politics and high school life for the last couple of days...

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Lordshmee posted:

There is a new mod with the same name but ending with the word "fixed" that does what it says, at least for basic functions. I never got crazy with it, but the basic functionality has really become required for me. The fixed mod brings that back.

Ah, this is great, I never thought to look for a modified version.

Thanks a lot!

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You are mistaken. All Station Voxel Support means is that when you blow pieces off of a Station they become Large Ship chunks that go tumbling off. Or falling to the ground on a planet because your building just got leveled.

How do I make a station... stationary then? What I did was to start on Asteroids with the rescue ship and try to butcher it for parts for a station. Worked out okay until I made a small grinder ship and tried to grind down the medbay from the station to move it. This pushed the entire station into the asteroid (breaking the refinery, so that save is probably screwed now). Did I just build the station too small since a small ship could push it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Various posted:

How do I make a station... stationary then? What I did was to start on Asteroids with the rescue ship and try to butcher it for parts for a station. Worked out okay until I made a small grinder ship and tried to grind down the medbay from the station to move it. This pushed the entire station into the asteroid (breaking the refinery, so that save is probably screwed now). Did I just build the station too small since a small ship could push it?

Try it with Station Voxel Support disabled. Maybe it's somehow converting both pieces instead of one into a ship.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
We finally have some patch notes for the week and a big fix we've all been wanting - rotor and piston heads no longer explode at high speeds! :peanut:

quote:

Summary
This week’s update is focusing on bugfixes and improving multiplayer, pistons and rag doll performance. We have fixed the pistons performance issue - pistons and rotor parts are now automatically locked in speeds above 100 m/s making them unable to move, turn and/or explode in high speeds. We also fixed various issues and improved the performance related to ragdolls. From now on, after a character dies, a body remains there for limited time and after that only a backpack with inventory stays behind. Additionally, hydrogen tank capacity has been increased 2.5 times for large grid and 4 times for small grid version. And finally we solved the issue with the incredibly heavy client in MP/DS (a.k.a. “hulk mode”) so the client is no longer pushing small ships around.

And since it is that period of year when you go trick or treating, we have prepared something for you. Do not miss the Halloween inspired teaser in the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtCfdHVG6ds

Features
- backpack with inventory spawned after death

Balancing & Performance
- increased hydrogen tank capacity
- piston locking and performance improvements
- no windows on conveyors (increasing performance)

Fixes
- fixed invisible voxels
- fixed UPS drops with character on large ships
- fixed character clipping inside cryo chamber
- fixed ship name change on DS crash
- fixed all door opened in tutorials and older saves
- fixed crash with physics
- fixed crash when changing suit in medical room
- fixed hand tools stay in the hand when stored in container
- fixed incredibly heavy client in MP/DS (hulk mode)
- fixed battery can be set to recharge and discharge at once
- fixed air vent missing in assembler
- fixed connectors exploding in MP

Also, I don't know what they're talking about fixing bugs; Those bugs clearly fixed that guy up good and proper :stonk:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

It's just me or the yellow interaction boxes kinda screwy when you are hovering with your jetpack.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

HardDisk posted:

It's just me or the yellow interaction boxes kinda screwy when you are hovering with your jetpack.

My camera seems to shake when I hover real close to things.

e: Yeah, I'm seeing that I can't pick things up now. Somethings weird with the pointer.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 30, 2015

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
- fixed invisible voxels
Well, now I can see gold again, there goes my weekend :ohdear:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HardDisk posted:

Yeah, I've noticed that too. It's been in the game for ages, but I haven't noticed it in the past few weeks so they must've broken something with the latest patch (as-usual). One thing I have noticed is there's a pretty big FPS drop with this patch, and hopefully that'll get taken care of in the hotfix.

Who wants to see a magic trick?

Abra

Ca

Dabra! :science:

Still need to work on the spacing for some of them and it's not going for a complete regeneration, just the big key sections like the cannons, broadside guns and armor around the main crew deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

So, after doing some testing and looking up of stuff, I found out how much thrust my fighter design has in the final version of it (well, most recent). Apparently it's 37N/kg. :psyduck: I knew it was fast but goddamn. I guess that's what happens when you cram 2 sage thrusters into a ~24,000kg ship.

• Locked thread