Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Prison Warden posted:

Still better paced than Paranatural.

C'mon man :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Still updated more than HXH or Berserk

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Okay, so, spoiler talk about this arc it's in, but I feel it ties too much with the current pacing discussion, but yeah, if you haven't read ONE's version really don't click here I read ONE's a bit after the Garou arc had ended, so I got to blitz through the seemingly endless pages of "Everything is going to poo poo exclusively because Saitama isn't there yet" and I was happy because it got hilariously frustrating while binging, so it must've been pure frustration reading as it came out in its erratic schedule, so I'm guessing i'll get to experience that frustration now that the updates are getting smaller and are also for "filler" in the longest arc.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Kild posted:

Oh hey, we're into year 2 of the current HxH hiatus. This has to be one of the longer ones.

Looking forward to the next anime remake in 2025.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i wonder how many decades it will take for all japanese sites i visit to not be totally reliant on flash

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://imgur.com/a/jY8Ak

Translated chapter 82, courtesy of ultimateking on /a/ as usual.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Kild posted:

STILL ON THE BOAT!

(in the anime last I checked)

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Quickly becoming a big fan of Metal Bat

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Not so say I'm not enjoying the interludes with Metal Bat and the tournament, but isn't ONE done with the Garou arc? Why does Murata need to do filler at all, anyway?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Because once Garou's done there is barely anything left

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Also it gives us more Saitama so it's worth having.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The existence of this filler's not a bad thing, it's the pacing of it that is. The filler will make the whole thing read better in the end.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Who's saying Murata is the one making this "filler"?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's his version of the manga and it's easier than saying "filler drawn by Murata and written by ONE".

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Terper posted:

Who's saying Murata is the one making this "filler"?

I think it's been established that Murata and One have decent amount of control over OPM. So it's not like some suit told them to do a Tournament arc just to sell more merch or something.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
We call it filler, but really, it's just a bunch of "meanwhile, this happened"

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
This is for all intents and purposes the "official" version of OPM. Doesn't seem right to call extra content that wasn't in the ONE version filler. That would be like calling the extra pages that Murata goes back and adds in later filler.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's filler because it's not in the original and this is an adaptation, currently. There's no real way around that. It's different to most in that it's being written by the original's author and is serving to flesh out the world and characters more, which is only going to improve the total package when it finishes. It's what all filler should aspire to be, minus the pacing.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ONE's version will always be the definitive one in my heart.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Does anyone have the gif that Murata added to the Atomic Samurai vs Alien part? The alien is knocked back and spins like a tire cartoonishly.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Little late to say this, but I also thought it was kind of funny when a manga is better animated than the anime.

Also, I tried showing someone else the anime, and we reached the scene with Genos's lengthy explanation - yeah, my friend was giggling for a while at the beginning, but man, does it go on for forever... It wasn't too too painful to rewatch though.

Overall, really enjoying the anime adaption though.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

Also, I tried showing someone else the anime, and we reached the scene with Genos's lengthy explanation - yeah, my friend was giggling for a while at the beginning, but man, does it go on for forever...

:thejoke:

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

It did work better in print, where the whole thing was a giant block of text that the reader could skim over quickly, than in the show. I can see how a first time viewer might feel that it's a little much while they're watching it.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.

Shadow0 posted:

Also, I tried showing someone else the anime, and we reached the scene with Genos's lengthy explanation - yeah, my friend was giggling for a while at the beginning, but man, does it go on for forever... It wasn't too too painful to rewatch though.

I did the same thing, you could see his face go "this is going on for ages, make it stop", but when you have the close up of Saitama losing his poo poo and his twitching leg, the joke got through pretty hard. He also went pretty "the gently caress just happened" when Saitama slapped Mosquito Lady, it was pretty good. He's still wondering how a dude that can defeat anybody with One Punch stays relevant after 4 episodes, but he enjoyed the first 2.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The joke fully delivers on its premise of being intentionally long winded and boring and the visuals do help alleviate it but long winded and boring are not good traits to have, intentional or not, so it's always going to be at least questionable as to whether pulling off long winded and boring is a good thing.

But it's like 2 minutes and after 4 episodes in, they've nailed just about every single thing so only having around 2 minutes of "eh" is forgiveable or straight up admirable.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The joke fully delivers on its premise of being intentionally long winded and boring and the visuals do help alleviate it but long winded and boring are not good traits to have, intentional or not, so it's always going to be at least questionable as to whether pulling off long winded and boring is a good thing.

I disagree; Endless Eight should have been longer.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I had no idea this version of the Sparring Session was drawn a bit differently: http://manga.life/read-online/OnepunchMan/chapter-17/index-1/

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

PaganGoatPants posted:

I had no idea this version of the Sparring Session was drawn a bit differently: http://manga.life/read-online/OnepunchMan/chapter-17/index-1/

Probably the printed volume edition, since, y'know, tens of pages for a rushdown sequence is too much for print.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I hope they make a few special edition prints just for that, just so I can do a flip-book impression when introducing new people to One-Punch Man.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Some of the pages just didnt fit to normal page size either.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

If anyone's worried about Serious Punch, the printed volumes seem to preserve the flip-book style stuff. I checked it like a week or two ago and my iBooks copy of it looks like what the fan translator worked with.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Probably the printed volume edition, since, y'know, tens of pages for a rushdown sequence is too much for print.

That's just a scanned and cleaned version of the viz volume for sure. It uses their names, has page numbers etc. Kind of surprising they've not been hit by the DMCA guys, especially considering other large manga sites have taken it down as a precaution when working from the free to read online version.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Nov 1, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Viz doesn't have that volume out in print last I checked? Viz has up to volume 8 digitally though and it's super easy to crack DRM on iBooks or Comixology so it's unfortunately really easy for assholes to try pass off Viz's release as a scanlation. :(

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, maybe it's a digital rip. Either way, chapter 20.6 still has the Viz credits page in at the end so they're not really hiding it either.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
What does "amai" translate to then? I mean, I can see why you wouldn't want some long rear end name since it doesn't match the lip flaps, but I did think Handsomely Masked Sweet Mask gave you a better instant idea of what that guy was all about.

I completely forgot the scene at the udon place even happened. Saitama completely wrecking the physical trials remains completely hilarious. Whack-a-mole!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Prison Warden posted:

What does "amai" translate to then? I mean, I can see why you wouldn't want some long rear end name since it doesn't match the lip flaps, but I did think Handsomely Masked Sweet Mask gave you a better instant idea of what that guy was all about.

I completely forgot the scene at the udon place even happened. Saitama completely wrecking the physical trials remains completely hilarious. Whack-a-mole!

Number 1: ★ 甘い (amai) means sweet in Japanese. ※ When used as an adjective to describe a person, 甘い (amai) does not mean sweet, but naive.

I vote no more translation discussions though! :argh:

Anyway, now i want some udon...

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

The scene with the udon didn't happen! That was new to the anime

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The sparring scene was awesome, and they touched on the main points of the flipbook scene too even if it wasn't 1:1. 5/5 on great episodes so far.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
I liked that they added additional tests to the physical test for Saitama to completely dominate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Zero_Tactility posted:

I liked that they added additional tests to the physical test for Saitama to completely dominate.