Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
#realtalk

I've always found it interesting to chat up cab drivers (before uber) to hear about what the business practices are like, what kind of fees they pay, how the lease works, etc.

Every cab driver I have ever talked to has insisted that it is absolutely miserable, and they have to pay out of pocket (or increased leasing fees) for accidents, maintenance, "rent" essentially - and their employer makes money regardless of if they pick up enough fares or not. Average monthly income for cabbies I've gathered (after rent, expenses, etc) is around $2000-3000 at most. someone throws up all over your cab? deduct $75-150. and there's a long term commitment. you have to prove your loyalty to a company, and if you give your boss poo poo or don't check in one day to go out on your shift, you get shafted, they hit you with extra fees, or reject your lease on the cab at worst. it's like a mafia almost in most cases.

this might be different in places like new york or london, but at least in atlanta, gently caress cab companies. they're small mafias that try to push competition out of the market and treat their contractors/employees like poo poo.

PLUS there's the consumer side. Uber is infinitely better from a consumer perspective. I won't go into detail because I don't think I need to.

I get all the #fairpay / Uber is manipulative and profiteering stuff, but in my opinion, that's better for all parties involved than what basically amounts to slavery. I'd rather give some kid the chance to earn whatever fees uber gives him and see if its a fit for his/her lifestyle, than support a mafia like infrastructure that gives jobs to (primarially) african/south american immigrants stuggling to support their families in return for capitalist slavery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

If taxis were regulated as tightly as sandwiches we wouldn't have this problem.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

bloody ghost titty posted:

Big picture, I hope that the ~disruption~ of Air BnB and Uber lead to better regulation across the board, gently caress everybody who wants to shave a dime into a nickel and gently caress late-stage capitalism.

Agree. Seems like nearly everything like this is broken in the US. Smart phones and dodgy companies exploiting workers as contractors can only be a good thing if it improves the regulated services I guess.
Here there's no major problem with public transport and the only problem with taxis is the lack of them, not the service.
Lack of them (ie regulated taxi plates), forces costs up so they should just release more. But then they can't because current plate owners will get less profit in the less busy times. But anyway, that's the only problem with taxis down here.

E: VVV
True, harder cookies are biscuits. :v:

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 30, 2015

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

chewy cookies are the only cookies.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

In a country where you call all biscuits "cookies", this couldn't be more wrong. Ginger nuts aren't chewy, and they are the greatest.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Scientastic posted:

In a country where you call all biscuits "cookies", this couldn't be more wrong. Ginger nuts aren't chewy, and they are the greatest.

Ginger nuts are only for dunking. Confirm/deny?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Hey

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Fo3 posted:

Or for cheesecake bases. Never eaten alone.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

See, an inherently crispy cookie designed for dunking I'd call a "crisp" or a "wafer".

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Deny. Ginger nuts are excellent for dunking, but are also good on their own.

Disappointing no-true-biscuit fallacy, Kenning

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Oct 30, 2015

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Deny. Ginger nuts are excellent for dunking, but are also good on their own.

Disappointing no-true-biscuit fallacy, Kenning

Confirmed. I'd add that if they aren't fresh or properly stored they can become chewy.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Ground ginger is an incredible spice.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Kenning posted:

See, an inherently crispy cookie designed for dunking I'd call a "crisp" or a "wafer".

That implies an inherent thinness.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Force de Fappe posted:

to bake chewy cookies with.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Force de Fappe posted:

I agree. But Mrs. Squashy is such a fresh ginger fiend that she refuses to acknowledge the powdered kind at all.

Her loss.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
They're just totally different products, like fresh v dried oregano, or fresh garlic vs garlic powder. They each have their place and don't always replace each other well.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I like ginger in all its forms. A lot.

Look out for Buderim Naked ginger. They say it's not crystallised but it basically is crystallised ginger, but the best I've ever had. Just delicious.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Fo3 posted:

I'd link to a video of dunking ginger nuts but it just occurred to me that we are referring to two drastically different things.

That said, I made brunch for my lady a perfect sausage egg and cheese by slicing sourdough, slicing sopressata for the base and toasting same gently while making sunny side eggs, seasoned lightly, and draping white american over them and hitting them on the broil. I have had two consecutive days off for the first time in ~6wks and :feelsgood:

In another week I have a 3 day weekend, which in the service industry is basically like saying that I captured, hosed, and butchered a unicorn and plan on throwing a BBQ. God. drat.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Just discovered that if you chug an ice ice cold ginger beer, you burp fire and get a little lightheaded for a minuet or so.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Squashy Nipples posted:

I agree. But Mrs. Squashy is such a fresh ginger fiend that she refuses to acknowledge the powdered kind at all.

Her loss.

I'm with Mrs. Squashy. Fresh ginger is sooooo great.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Dino, make a treacle tart once. With a big heaping pinch of dried ground ginger in there. Not from an old bag that's been in the back of your spice rack since before time. Mmm.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Use both, achieve enlightenment. Fresh ginger bites more, while ground ginger has more of a sweet burn.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

dino. posted:

I'm with Mrs. Squashy. Fresh ginger is sooooo great.

It is, but the best cookies in the universe (ginger bread) require the powdered kind.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

bloody ghost titty posted:

In another week I have a 3 day weekend, which in the service industry is basically like saying that I captured, hosed, and butchered a unicorn and plan on throwing a BBQ. God. drat.

Aw yea. 3 day weekend after tomorrow, and the week after I have an industry party featuring Dushan Zaric and lots and lots of 86co booze.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Reposting from GBS because it requires even more mockery:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

how do you guys feel about PewDiePie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi6eop4nDhw&t=40s

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

The Maestro posted:

Aw yea. 3 day weekend after tomorrow, and the week after I have an industry party featuring Dushan Zaric and lots and lots of 86co booze.

I do have to do a 65 hour week leading up to it but see also: cryptid sodomy.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Anybody ever eaten anything good in Krakow?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Force de Fappe posted:

Anybody ever eaten anything good in Krakow?

Yeah, I can give you her number.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Squashy Nipples posted:

That kid should dress up as Mr. Peanut for Halloween.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Did a quick google and watched some of the video.

No.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Where do folks source mutton?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Sphinxster posted:

I have an Indian market near me with a al halal meat counter. That's where I get all my mutton, goat, lamb, etc. etc. Everything but beef and pork.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

The Sphinxster posted:

The ranchita. Or the carniceria. Or the 4H livestock auction.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

The Sphinxster posted:

When I want mutton, I call one of two local butchers (the other one is basically a farm reseller and doesn't ever order anything unusual in), they make some calls, and I get however much mutton I want of whatever cut in about a week. They also order suet, leaf lard, chicken fat, and pretty much anything I want. They get most of my business - the other one has tastier beef, but it's almost twice as expensive, and no unusual cuts.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
If you live in East Texas, I can put you in touch with a guy that does organic, local, free-range mutton.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Yeah, I can give you her number.

I'm so glad I could count on this pass being caught.

Went down to Kazimierz to an old kosher restaurant, got gorged on gefilte fish and cholent (Sabbath after all). Wifey had best lamb any of us has ever had in a restaurant. Hamantaschen with poppy seed and walnut filling and coffee for dessert. A+ would Jew again

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Force de Fappe posted:

I'm so glad I could count on this pass being caught.

Went down to Kazimierz to an old kosher restaurant, got gorged on gefilte fish and cholent (Sabbath after all). Wifey had best lamb any of us has ever had in a restaurant. Hamantaschen with poppy seed and walnut filling and coffee for dessert. A+ would Jew again

As I say, kosherlicious! (In reality much kosher food is not v good and is v pricey.).

If it was really kosher how was it open on Shabbat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Squashy Nipples posted:

I thought eating all your lovely kid's candy was the whole point of going through the trouble of dressing them up for Halloween, and parenthood, in general.