Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
I read somewhere that Bajoran episodes were apparently not very popular with fans so the writers stopped doing so many. Yeah I suppose the Dominion War and the wormhole make Bajoran membership a given. It's not like Starfleet would tolerate any other great power controlling the wormhole and the Bajorans would need Starfleet help defending it even in peacetime. Makes you wonder why the Bajorans didn't just set up a toll booth and charge ships going through, then they could rebuild all they schools/hospitals/temples with the space money they'd get.

Oh and its a bit silly that after seven years, the Bajoran government is still the provisional government because it's seeming pretty permanent to me

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Their reconstruction efforts certainly would benefit from being in close proximity to one of the most important places in the galaxy. Their economy is probably booming, and the Federation would probably have Starfleet drafting plans for a proper Starbase to replace the aging Terek Nor. They just have to present the plans to Colonel Kira and the new Kai.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Figaro posted:

Oh and its a bit silly that after seven years, the Bajoran government is still the provisional government because it's seeming pretty permanent to me

They really should've just dropped the word provisional after a few years. Don't need to get into details.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
It's funny to think that at the end of DS9, the player that's best off is the Bajorans, considering how hosed they were at the beginning of the series.

Federation- massive loss of ships/personal
Klingons- lots of ships destroyed
Romulans- again lots of ships lost plus 1x suspicious Romulan senator
Dominion- falls back to their own territories with tail between their legs
Ferengi- turning into a egalitarian society to Quarks horror
Cardassians- lol

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Figaro posted:

It's funny to think that at the end of DS9, the player that's best off is the Bajorans, considering how hosed they were at the beginning of the series.

Federation- massive loss of ships/personal
Klingons- lots of ships destroyed
Romulans- again lots of ships lost plus 1x suspicious Romulan senator
Dominion- falls back to their own territories with tail between their legs
Ferengi- turning into a egalitarian society to Quarks horror
Cardassians- lol

Don't you dare diss my Cardassian pals. They had O'Brien go out there, so everything would have been tickety boo in no time. In the books, anyway. That also featured Sicko's immortal daughter. In conclusion, idk

E: Bajoran government. I always thought it was provincial government and the evil Hezekiah assembly had the whip hand. Dear old Winn wasn't hosed about being First Minister, it was Kai or bust.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 30, 2015

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Figaro posted:

Maybe.
But they learned their thousand old religion is fake as poo poo, their leader hosed the last Cardie you should want to gently caress, who then turns into the Satan of your fake rear end religion, and your spiritual leader and emissary both die to him in a needless suicide pact.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Trickjaw posted:

Don't you dare diss my Cardassian pals. They had O'Brien go out there, so everything would have been tickety boo in no time. In the books, anyway. That also featured Sicko's immortal daughter. In conclusion, idk

As much as I love the Cardassian people, they had it coming. It's funny because outside of humans, they're probably the most balanced of all the Star Trek great powers. They can be aggressive and violent but not as much as Klingons. They are paranoid and duplicitous but not half as bad as the Romulans. Their literature is boring but not as dull as future earth/federation

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Figaro posted:

As much as I love the Cardassian people, they had it coming. It's funny because outside of humans, they're probably the most balanced of all the Star Trek great powers. They can be aggressive and violent but not as much as Klingons. They are paranoid and duplicitous but not half as bad as the Romulans. Their literature is boring but not as dull as future earth/federation

gently caress you. Spoonhead Holmes and the case of Dukars treason is excellent cardie reading.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Bacontotem posted:

gently caress you. Spoonhead Holmes and the case of Dukars treason is excellent cardie reading.

"So how will you find which people in this village helped Dukar in his treasonous act?" asked the Bajoran villager

It's elementary my dear Bajoran" said Spoonhead Holmes "I already know who the guilty party is"

"I see" said the Bajoran, looking a little relived "so who is it?"

"Well you see my first clue was that the entire village is Bajoran" explained Spoonhead Holmes

"I don't quite follow Holmes... " interjected the Bajoran

" Well my dear Bajoran, if you're all Bajoran, than the only logical conclusion is that you're all guilty!" explained Spoonhead Holmes

"My golly! What a frightfully intelligent deduction Holmes! That's brilliant! " admired the Bajoran as he was dragged off to the nearest work camp for his punishment.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I just double checked and apprently they already have Cardassian Sherlock Holmes and he's called Shoggoth

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I think that detection implies possible innocence and that Cardassian Sherlock would not be a detective and instead be a lowly crime scene cleanup worker who with a clear conscience space-bleaches away the DNA and fingerprints, crushes up the Romulan detonator modules to ensure there is conformity with the arrest, with the verdict and with the sentence.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

shadow puppet of a posted:

I think that detection implies possible innocence and that Cardassian Sherlock would not be a detective and instead be a lowly crime scene cleanup worker who with a clear conscience space-bleaches away the DNA and fingerprints, crushes up the Romulan detonator modules to ensure there is conformity with the arrest, with the verdict and with the sentence.

Every Cardassian Sherlock story would end the same way with only the crime and circumstances changing from novel to novel. Thus conforming to the great Cardassian literary tradition of the repetitive epic. Once again the state is proven infallible in all things, justice prevails, the guilty are tortured and punished. And the cycle repeats

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Everyone is guilty, the puzzle is to figure out who is guilty of what.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

quote:

im permabanned poster spoonheadstomper58. i first started reading the star trek thread when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "irony" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "spoonhead balls" and "i love making GBS threads inside spoonhead assholes" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "ironic" style of the star trek thread humor was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" the star trek thread to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Oct 30, 2015

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

No Cardassian Sherlock would summon all the suspects to the drawing room at the start of the novel and tell everyone how he figured out who the killer was, the killer would be arrested and dragged away.

He would then continue about how in the course of his investigation he found all the other suspects had committed other crimes such as tax evasion, paedophilia, and Jay walking.

Each by each they would be dragged of the room, all found guilty by the courts, and all executed.

And it would basically be that story every time.

Maybe in the odd one the murder suspect didn't actually commit the murder, but then it is proven that they were somehow complicit in the crime, or some other, worse crime, proving the only people ever arrested are always guilty of something.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 30, 2015

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Speaking of spponheads, Garak is arguably the best chatacter from DS9. Only Quark is even competition.

https://youtu.be/t02v9EUHs30

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Nathilus posted:

Speaking of spponheads, Garak is arguably the best chatacter from DS9. Only Quark is even competition.

Arguably? The only argument to be made about Garak is if he's merely the best character on any TV show or actually any medium ever.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

chaosbreather posted:

Arguably? The only argument to be made about Garak is if he's merely the best character on any TV show or actually any medium ever.

:agreed:

There are so many characters who are secretive and mysterious with a murky past, but with Garak it's great because he talks a LOT. Often the mistake is made to make such characters quite and brooding and you never learn anything about them.

With Garak though you hear him say a lot but you can never be 100% about anything he says or does.

The problem is if they did a TV show about him it would be utter poo poo.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

chaosbreather posted:

Quark gives him a run for the money. In particular, Quark's exit scene is better.

"That man LOVES me. It's written all over his BACK." Lol.

EDIT: one cool thing about garak though is that his lies are literally more true than when he's telling the truth. He says as much but you aren't supposed to buy it. However, it's true. For instance, he continually denies being a plant and spy, claiming to just be a tailor. This is absolutely true till the very end of the series. He was kicked out of the obsidian order and is literally a refugee stuck aboard ds9, the closest he's allowed to get to cardassia. No one believes him and for good reason, he used to be a superspy, but his untruth is utterly sincere. He doesn't get invited back into the fold until the end of the series.

Nathilus fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 30, 2015

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Garak is so well written and well acted and so well supported as a character that he is indecipherable. No other series has a Garak. Garak IS DS9.

Really though, Tucker not laying with Phlox's wife was unbelievable.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Sometimes Phlox watches from a stool, sometimes from inside a closet, and almost always wearing a Superman costume.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Kitchner posted:

The problem is if they did a TV show about him it would be utter poo poo.

That's the Kevin Spacey version of House of Cards.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Bacontotem posted:

That's the Kevin Spacey version of House of Cards.

That's the problem, star trek house of cards with Garak wouldn't work. You know too much about the main character. With Garak the most we ever learn about him was he was a super spy and he worshipped his trainer and mentor.

Everything else is a murky "is it true? is it not true?" sort of thing. You can't have the main character of a TV show like that

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Tujague posted:

I'm a huge Star Trek nerd who looks down on all the other Star Trek nerds because of some abandonment issue or something

lol

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

He's our Tuvok. Trapped in here with us for the long haul, re-breathing our air, ingesting our microbes and danders, but struggling ever so to maintain intellectual separation the way only a kal-toh master can.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

He's our Tuvok. Trapped in here with us for the long haul, re-breathing our air, ingesting our microbes and danders, but struggling ever so to maintain intellectual separation the way only a kal-toh master can.

Also he gets super angry and aggressive if he doesn't have sex.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Kitchner posted:

so all the time ohh :thejoke:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TEAYCHES posted:

so all the time ohh :thejoke:

Except that one time Tom hooked him up with a blow-up doll.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I dont see why he couldn't have just pon-farred into a sock.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Nathilus posted:

Garak is the best character, and I haven't watched Star Trek beyond some random youtube clips.

Runner up: Gul Dukat.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Kitchner posted:

Why can't the holodoctor just shoot him up with some synthesized Vulcan nano-hormones and shine some goober-rays at him.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

My Man Shran posted:

Why can't the holodoctor just shoot him up with some synthesized Vulcan nano-hormones and shine some goober-rays at him.

It turns out they already found a better cure:

I dont see why he couldn't have just pon-farred into a sock.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Masturbation is illogical, like most fun things.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Kitchner posted:

That's the problem, star trek house of cards with Garak wouldn't work. You know too much about the main character. With Garak the most we ever learn about him was he was a super spy and he worshipped his trainer and mentor.

Everything else is a murky "is it true? is it not true?" sort of thing. You can't have the main character of a TV show like that

He's Naked Snake?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Kitchner posted:

No Cardassian Sherlock would summon all the suspects to the drawing room at the start of the novel and tell everyone how he figured out who the killer was, the killer would be arrested and dragged away.

He would then continue about how in the course of his investigation he found all the other suspects had committed other crimes such as tax evasion, paedophilia, and Jay walking.

Each by each they would be dragged of the room, all found guilty by the courts, and all executed.

And it would basically be that story every time.

Maybe in the odd one the murder suspect didn't actually commit the murder, but then it is proven that they were somehow complicit in the crime, or some other, worse crime, proving the only people ever arrested are always guilty of something.

This is an interesting reading because it seems to imply that guilt is an important emotion in Cardassian psychology, to the point that it's not seen as a bad aspect of society. All Cardasians know they are guilty of crimes, and build their emotional states around the acceptance of potentially being discovered at any moment, perhaps inevitably. Garak is of course a great example of this, and is why Cardies make great spies. In this model Dukat becomes the atypical Cardassian. He doesn't fit the model and thus rises and falls, like a space-equivalent Gatsby or Trump.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
lol they're gonna make another TV series...

http://io9.com/holy-crap-they-are-officially-making-a-new-star-trek-t-1740024705

... based on the JJTrek movies.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

quote:

The show will premiere in January 2017 with a preview episode on CBS and then, in the U.S., move exclusively to the CBS video on-demand and streaming service, CBS All Access. It’ll be the first developed specifically for the CBS streaming service.

The good news is that it will look exacty like regular trek as the budget will be about $5,000 an episode with the miserable projected viewer outlook that comes with platform-exclusivity. Just look at how much money Yahoo had to fess up to losing on their Yahoo! Screen video platform. I imagine CBS would take heed from that, but then again they probably see Trek as the property they can magically get all sorts of coveted 30+ demographics to buy an expensive new subscription for when it barely works for HBO and game of thrones.

Still this is some awful loving news because it is the 'reboot' universe. I hope the global economy and bee colonies are simultaneously wiped out in 2016 to prevent this bag of poo poo from ever making its way past the "cast Rick Berman's kids" phase.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Exclusively on CBS On-Demand? Oh boy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film “Star Trek Beyond,” which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016.

• Locked thread