Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

drrockso20 posted:

I understand the vicious part, I just figured the size difference between a goose and an ostrich would lead to to the latter stomping the former if attacked

I imagine that once the goose takes flight and lands on your back and you literally have no arms it's all over

Just like a mountain lion, one deadly bite to your neck :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ostriches have incredibly long legs, the goose wouldn't even have to aim carefully to break one.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Ostrich leg bones are incredibly thick and strong, there's no way a goose could break one. More likely the ostrich got scared and ran into something/got tangled in a fence/broke its own neck. Because if there's one thing ostriches are built to do, it's run away very fast.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
:golfclap:

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

cash crab posted:

I feel like it would have that weird, woodsy aftertaste that llama or deer has

Growing up on the reserve, I've had a fair bit of moose. Moose sausage is pretty decent. Ground moose can be mixed 50:50 with a fattier ground beef for a lot of dishes, and is great in shepherd's pie and other savoury but not spicy dishes. My kukum liked to just slice it up and fry it in lard due to the low fat content. It was horrible for you, but still pretty good.

Also, deer makes really good jerky.

Tiberius Thyben has a new favorite as of 05:09 on Oct 30, 2015

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

They had a sale on Tombstone pizzas awhile back, so I bought a couple supremes and they were great. So great that I bought more. And more. I ate a Tombstone supreme pizza for dinner every day for 8 days in a row.

Luckily I hardly eat anything outside of dinner, so it's not as bad as it sounds health wise, and I did make some homemade chinese tonight, but the last 8 days were pretty embarrassing.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Growing up on the reserve, I've had a fair bit of moose. Moose sausage is pretty decent. Ground moose can be mixed 50:50 with a fattier ground beef for a lot of dishes, and is great in shepherd's pie and other savoury but not spicy dishes. My kukum liked to just slice it up and fry it in lard due to the low fat content. It was horrible for you, but still pretty good.

For weird ungulate sausage, I am going to vote buffalo.

On that note, I haven't seen any moose for sale , but if I ever do, I will be sure to make it into a burger

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

cash crab posted:

For weird ungulate sausage, I am going to vote buffalo.

There are no Buffalo in the United States. They are Bison, and they are delicious. They are very dry, though, so a good Bison patty will be fattier than the usual 80/20 mix for cows. A 70/30 bison patty with non-American cheese and a toasted bun will never need a condiment, and only onions/jalapenos as toppings if you want it to have a little more flavor. Nothing else required.

Also, I planned out the funnel cake burger and I should have most ingredients, but I got invited out to supper and there's no way in a single goddamn hell that I am going to eat a full-sized burger at the local lodge and then come home to cook Funnel Cake Juicy Lucies and managed to eat one. Consider that postponed until I get bored this weekend and surprise you all with a trip report that should never happen.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

OctoberBlues posted:

They had a sale on Tombstone pizzas awhile back, so I bought a couple supremes and they were great. So great that I bought more. And more. I ate a Tombstone supreme pizza for dinner every day for 8 days in a row.

Luckily I hardly eat anything outside of dinner, so it's not as bad as it sounds health wise, and I did make some homemade chinese tonight, but the last 8 days were pretty embarrassing.

Here lies OctoberBlues

He died from eating too much peperony and chease
(also onions, green peppers, sausage, and black olives)

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

cash crab posted:

I have a bunch of pictures of my boyfriend chasing after geese on the island; because they didn't attack him, I don't think he believes me that they are dangerous.

content:

There's something that really offends me about chicken skin that's been boiled. No amount of sauce can cover up that awful fat flap.

Anyway here's either someone's risotto or homemade wall putty.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

Meatwave posted:

There's something that really offends me about chicken skin that's been boiled. No amount of sauce can cover up that awful fat flap.

Anyway here's either someone's risotto or homemade wall putty.

Gruel! :buddy:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Moose also makes some pretty decent jerky.

death .cab for qt posted:

There are no Buffalo in the United States. They are Bison, and they are delicious. They are very dry, though, so a good Bison patty will be fattier than the usual 80/20 mix for cows. A 70/30 bison patty with non-American cheese and a toasted bun will never need a condiment, and only onions/jalapenos as toppings if you want it to have a little more flavor. Nothing else required.

Also, I planned out the funnel cake burger and I should have most ingredients, but I got invited out to supper and there's no way in a single goddamn hell that I am going to eat a full-sized burger at the local lodge and then come home to cook Funnel Cake Juicy Lucies and managed to eat one. Consider that postponed until I get bored this weekend and surprise you all with a trip report that should never happen.

Also goes really nicely as part of a bison chili chiliburger.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I've had many a fantastic bison or elk burger. To the point I won't order beef if those are on the menu. They usually have more interesting toppings rather than regular old ketchup, mustard, and barbeque. I spent a lot of time working in Canadian Rockies over the summer so I got too many great burgers.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Risotto's supposed to have cream in it, right?

Philippe has a new favorite as of 09:21 on Oct 30, 2015

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

zedprime posted:

I knew a guy at work who explained the brilliance of rabbit is it should always be free. So you could hunt it. Or also look for free rabbit classified listings after Christmas and Easter. You know, when people put pets ads up for readoption because it didn't work out because of kids

From a couple pages back, but...

A friend of mine (who hunts regularly) once bought, slaughtered, butchered, cooked, and ate a rabbit from a pet store, and he said that, 1, he felt loving terrible, because it was an animal born and raised to trust humans, and he betrayed that trust by killing it, and, 2, the meat was terrible, and not at all worth it.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

The saddest grilled cheese.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Guys

Guys what if you made the burg out of the reeses

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Risotto's supposed to have cream in it, right?

I'm certain that in some alternate universe cream is naturally taupe.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That could be bad, if those are supposed to be slices of apple or something.

That's just mildly interesting because of how it slides from black to white.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

waht the gently caress?!?! did people actually spray paint lobsters back in the 70s? I mean, I guess you aren't going to be eating the shell, but there's no way at least some of the paint wouldn't get into the meat.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

Guys

I had one of these, I wanna say like four years ago or something now? It's not bad, but the chocolate to peanut butter ratio is so skewed by the size that it's pretty nasty. Really, for all they've tried, they just can't beat the original formula.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

AnonSpore posted:

Guys

That would be stupidly messy to eat.

Also so would the 'burg.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

E: And on that note, borscht ice pop

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 11:33 on Oct 30, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The more I look at these things, the more I feel like people somehow didn't know how to eat food in the past.

Have a disturbing cake

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Kakairo posted:

I've only had rabbit once, difficult for me to get over since I used to have a pet rabbit. It was okay, much preferred the duck Ruben I was having. ("Duck season! Rabbit season!")

I had rabbit and duck at a (supremely inauthentic) Korean BBQ today. Delicious!

Another rabbit-based local delicacy:

It's like trying to gnaw meat off a football, or something. I've also heard that it's considered a snack for girls. It tastes all right, but I always quail at the idea that there might be boogers in there, for some reason. Will stick with my BBQ eggs on a stick, thanks very much. http://www.chinesestreetfood.com/2012/02/rabbit-heads.html

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

bringmyfishback posted:

I had rabbit and duck at a (supremely inauthentic) Korean BBQ today. Delicious!

Another rabbit-based local delicacy:

It's like trying to gnaw meat off a football, or something. I've also heard that it's considered a snack for girls. It tastes all right, but I always quail at the idea that there might be boogers in there, for some reason. Will stick with my BBQ eggs on a stick, thanks very much. http://www.chinesestreetfood.com/2012/02/rabbit-heads.html

I would totally gnaw on the skull of another animal but imagine if it had boogers

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

AnonSpore posted:

I would totally gnaw on the skull of another animal but imagine if it had boogers

You cannot tell me that the boogers of a poop-eating stranger ain't grosser than the microscopic amount of meat you can chew off of its face.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

RareAcumen posted:

The more I look at these things, the more I feel like people somehow didn't know how to eat food in the past.

This was a modern photo shoot to poke fun at the 1960's style recipe cards. Each has a little joke: the spray-painted lobster, the prawns on the fingers (and an entire tray of limes), stirring the coffee with a hotdog, cutting the "party loaf" from underneath the table.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

red plastic cup posted:

waht the gently caress?!?! did people actually spray paint lobsters back in the 70s? I mean, I guess you aren't going to be eating the shell, but there's no way at least some of the paint wouldn't get into the meat.

Those are all art pieces, not actual food illustrations

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Eponine posted:

This was a modern photo shoot to poke fun at the 1960's style recipe cards. Each has a little joke: the spray-painted lobster, the prawns on the fingers (and an entire tray of limes), stirring the coffee with a hotdog, cutting the "party loaf" from underneath the table.

oh

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

PubicMice posted:

From a couple pages back, but...

A friend of mine (who hunts regularly) once bought, slaughtered, butchered, cooked, and ate a rabbit from a pet store, and he said that, 1, he felt loving terrible, because it was an animal born and raised to trust humans, and he betrayed that trust by killing it, and, 2, the meat was terrible, and not at all worth it.

Man if I did that to a pet animal, even in a survival scenario, I don't think I'd ever stop crying, but then I'm the sort of huge softy who feels bad about the baby birds inside balut, or indeed pretty much any food that requires the animal to still be alive at some point during preparation

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=how+many+calories+in+a+cubic+lightyear+of+butter

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Where do I have to go to eat this?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I think they might be the same animal, with bison just being the scientific term and buffalo being the colloquial expression. Also, for whatever reason, they market it as buffalo in some places up here. :canada:

edit: the picture i chose doesn't work anymore, so phhhbbbbt NO CONTENT FOR U

cash crab has a new favorite as of 16:08 on Oct 30, 2015

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

There are no Buffalo in the United States. They are Bison

Wait, so the buffalo chicken wings I ate last night were actually bison chicken wings? Those fuckers :argh:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Hey, blend it with a banana, and you have a smoothie.

WALLA!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Aye our toaster does that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

cash crab posted:

I think they might be the same animal, with bison just being the scientific term and buffalo being the colloquial expression. Also, for whatever reason, they market it as buffalo in some places up here. :canada:

edit: the picture i chose doesn't work anymore, so phhhbbbbt NO CONTENT FOR U

American and European buffalo are both Bisonus. Water buffaloes are Bubalus. Cape Buffaloes are Syncerus.

All of these species of animal are called "buffalo" in English.

I have only eaten Bisonus meat, but Bubalus milk makes some loving delicious yogurt.

• Locked thread