Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

this game was the worst present anyone could possibly receive for their birthday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lovely Senorita posted:

this game was the worst present anyone could possibly receive for their birthday

This... this is also me.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

It's a disappointing game but it's not that bad.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

randombattle posted:

It's a disappointing game but it's not that bad.

I agree with this (I had just meant that I got it for my birthday). The worst part about all of this is how different the game is from what we were hyped about before it came out.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This keeps happening to me. Supernorn, I try not to be a downer on this game, and I know there's still a lot to be worked out in terms of progression, but the beginning of the game is such a crazy slog, it leaves a lot of us feeling :negative:

I think what might help would be to have early access to something really fun, so to make the rest of the progression easier. Like the grappling hook; incredibly useful and fun, but I always cheat it in because I want it right away. I'm fine with doing the extra work for a lot of other things, but that and the matter manipulator are the two tools I just want fully-functional from (near) the very beginning.

Also, I want to send other players rude letters with rare items attached, dammit.

Rope works well enough and is craftable on the fly, but the grappling hook takes WAY to long to get hold of as a replacement. There's no reason it should require building on the third tier of crafting table, it's just made with rope and metal. You can make more complicated poo poo on the wooden crafting table.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

So is there any actually enjoyable game around that expands on the Terraria formula? I know there's Edge of Space that looks kinda iffy, and there's some steampunk thing that also looks kinda iffy. I just want to travel to cool planets, find interesting things and maybe build something, and Starbound is bad.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Signs of life is goon-made and looks very promising. Check it out at this thread.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cicadas! posted:

Signs of life is goon-made and looks very promising. Check it out at this thread.

This is very good advice

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

QUACKTASTIC posted:

This is very good advice

Oh my god, that's incredible.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also not it hasn't had an update since about June.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Cicadas! posted:

Signs of life ... looks very promising.

:yikes:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think signs of life is that game where they try to sell it based on gifs alone and that's not a very good sign

just get earthtongue and watch mold grow. it's fun

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i think signs of life is that game where they try to sell it based on gifs alone and that's not a very good sign

It's still a little sparse but it has neat things to make and explore. It could use some balancing but it's still in implement every random equipment idea they have mode.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I played it with a friend but couldn't get into it at all. The UI and graphics are really off-putting but the gameplay just felt too clunky to look past.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

usually i have trouble recommending games in this overall genre to people because the vast majority are sparse, half-finished messes. i guess it's fitting that i'm saying this in the starbound thread. i mean, i enjoyed playing cortex command but there's no way in hell i'm going to try and sell it to someone.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vib Rib posted:

I played it with a friend but couldn't get into it at all. The UI and graphics are really off-putting but the gameplay just felt too clunky to look past.

So it's QWOPbound. maybe I won't try it out.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's not much there, so unless you wanna invest in another thing that might not ever be actually 'finished' then it's probably not worth it

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You can cut up an underground monster and turn tight into tight leather leather pants that make your rear end visible from space while you jump high. And then you're done because it's a tiny world that doesn't yet have much in it :v:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

just get earthtongue and watch mold grow. it's fun

Guys guys guys, I know we're in a thread about a certain type of game but you should totally try this other type of game that is totally nothing like what we're talking about except 2D and some stars. STARS GUYS.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Supernorn posted:

:eyepop:

Yes, I should definitely be taking this thread seriously.

I don't have any sunk cost or history in these threads, I mainly just skimmed them before release, but I did play and love Terraria to completion, so I hope that's enough credentials for this quoted post:

Neurolimal posted:

It's a good example of how negative-incentive game design can falter when applied to a mechanic that doesn't feel overpowered. It just makes the entire mechanic less enjoyable overall.

The positive-incentive counterpart to this would instead be to create animal and melee weapon skills which give increased speed or even a dash ability, that ranged weapons/ranged enemies would not have available.

being able to scarf down infinite food or backpedal-shooting melee enemies/players is an obvious problem, but the most obvious solution to these aren't always the best ones.

Making plants refuse to grow while you're away is just retarded design from any viewpoint though. It's farming. This is literally how it works in real life. There is no entertainment value in forcing players to basically watch them grow.

I've no interest in scoring points off the developer or embedding myself among goon-hate in the thread, these are just my observations regarding the game.

Additionally, it seems like players are disappointed with the colonization system because of the poor rewards it grants; in Terraria this was handled by making NPC's provide special services, materials, or convenient shops. It seems like the system here is better for brute-forcing Content to Do, but doesn't actually provide much fun value; you're always going to get a couple of generic materials easily obtained yourself. Obviously designing unique mechanics and systems around the colonials would take more time, but it would result in a far more entertaining system as well as provide an additional avenue to introduce new, low-effort content (such as rare NPC's that require a certain factor in colony design, which opens up a recipe for some cosmetic or weapon or vehicle or etc.)

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 30, 2015

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

So the answer to my question is no. Good to know, thanks!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Long before the game was released, I recall the thread being a very active place that the developers enjoyed chatting in. It still remained that way at release. That it's no longer active nor a friendly place for developers to chat should be a heavy sign that something has gone immensely wrong in the development of your game. These community changes don't happen for no reason overnight.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Neurolimal posted:

I've no interest in scoring points off the developer or embedding myself among goon-hate in the thread, these are just my observations regarding the game.

Additionally, it seems like players are disappointed with the colonization system because of the poor rewards it grants; in Terraria this was handled by making NPC's provide special services, materials, or convenient shops. It seems like the system here is better for brute-forcing Content to Do, but doesn't actually provide much fun value; you're always going to get a couple of generic materials easily obtained yourself. Obviously designing unique mechanics and systems around the colonials would take more time, but it would result in a far more entertaining system as well as provide an additional avenue to introduce new, low-effort content (such as rare NPC's that require a certain factor in colony design, which opens up a recipe for some cosmetic or weapon or vehicle or etc.)

People are disappointed because they/we loved what we saw a year/year and a half ago and thought this would be an awesome Terraria-style game BUT IN THE FUTURE, WOAH, SPACE SHIPS! Then nothing was actually "released" (as beta, not nightly) for a really long time and when that beta release finally came out it was chock full of extremely lame quests, gateways to progress and negative changes to already fun elements.

"Hey you, bring me coffee beans!"
"Sweet, thanks, NOW I MUST HAVE CUP!"
"poo poo job there peon, how can I stir my coffee cup WITHOUT A SPOON?!?"
"Hey, go look in trash cans for some poo poo item because it's fun to click on everything in a given zone."

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

RandomBlue posted:

People are disappointed because they/we loved what we saw a year/year and a half ago and thought this would be an awesome Terraria-style game BUT IN THE FUTURE, WOAH, SPACE SHIPS! Then nothing was actually "released" (as beta, not nightly) for a really long time and when that beta release finally came out it was chock full of extremely lame quests, gateways to progress and negative changes to already fun elements.

"Hey you, bring me coffee beans!"
"Sweet, thanks, NOW I MUST HAVE CUP!"
"poo poo job there peon, how can I stir my coffee cup WITHOUT A SPOON?!?"
"Hey, go look in trash cans for some poo poo item because it's fun to click on everything in a given zone."

That's kinda what I was getting at in the quoted post; when you start making your game available and open to players it's important to build on positive elements to keep players' attention. Unless you're doing something silly like an E-Sports game combat rebalances can happen long after you've developed a pile of fun mechanics for the player to perform and stay busy with. If a player tries to stick with your game and only ends up seeing combat become more difficult, farming become more difficult, colonies not being worthwhile, armor becoming useless...it's just not something that encourages the player to play on. You-the-Dev might have fun redesigning these basic elements multiple times, but that fun doesn't carry on to the actual players.

Does the game even have a hint at all the neat civilization ideas they had pre-release?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

That's kinda what I was getting at in the quoted post; when you start making your game available and open to players it's important to build on positive elements to keep players' attention. Unless you're doing something silly like an E-Sports game combat rebalances can happen long after you've developed a pile of fun mechanics for the player to perform and stay busy with. If a player tries to stick with your game and only ends up seeing combat become more difficult, farming become more difficult, colonies not being worthwhile, armor becoming useless...it's just not something that encourages the player to play on. You-the-Dev might have fun redesigning these basic elements multiple times, but that fun doesn't carry on to the actual players.

Does the game even have a hint at all the neat civilization ideas they had pre-release?

There's a portal. It goes to a laggy mall.

That's about it.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Patware posted:

There's a portal. It goes to a laggy mall.

That's about it.

Where you have to dig through the trash to find a manuscript and coffee utensils and materials. Like all malls, of course.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
starbound:

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

It has gated content and everything!

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
This made my day

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Just came here. i bought Starbound way back when it was a pretty recent release, just installed it again and played with a friend to see what new stuff they had added, Im honestly pretty disappointed. I dont think Starbound is a bad game as such but I think its been like a year or more, maybe two since I last played and the changes are... lackluster.

Dont bother reading below unless you wan't to read an effort post of my complaint's and thoughts on improvements.

The weird hub thing is kind of cool and I honestly enjoyed some of the quests even though many were "go find a tomb and loot an emblem", an excuse to explore more was cool but the loving golden duck tiny statue bullshit nearly made me ragequit.

Pointedly, I cant see why there aren't more quests, most are just "go here, get this, bring it back" kind of thing, there should be more or less an infinite amount of those, surely it can't be that difficult to add some random generated npcs which offer random rewards, if only for a bit more flavor to the world.

On top of that it still suffers from the same problem of unlocking the higher tech becomes quick and easy and you end up burning through expansion quests until you have the biggest ship ( Don't talk to me about the layouts)

So my thoughts so far on how to improve the game as it stands right now.

• Random quests with random rewards with more breadth than what you get right now, some supplies of ore, medical supplies, patterns, those compressed pixel blocks etc.
  • Expand the tech system to incorporate other elements, not just requiring metal for everything but rarer more esoteric elements.
  • Some explanation on food when cooking it to give an idea what bonuses it gives, possibly introducing animals that can be farmed for resources?
  • Change what dictates a planets difficulty, this relates to the gating of the current content and tech, but every planet with high tier ore is volcanic, mid to low high is icy etc.
  • Change the gating on content, the nano upgrades or whatever they are at the moment are absurd, they immediately remove the entire problem.
  • Introduce other methods of dealing with the hazards, sealed spacesuits allowing limited time without 02 with the option of filling an area with oxygen to form a base camp. Medication giving resistance to radiation, a hazard suit to prevent heat damage etc
  • Keep the nano upgrades as a very high tier difficult to get option, could be recieved as part of a secondary crafting tree ( nano tech specifically or bioengineering etc)
  • Balance the godamn dungeons, usually a pain to get to the chests to recieve some worthless trash, makes it pointless to deal with.
  • Figure something out with assault weapons, dodging is almost impossible and a few at a time can obliterate you.

That's all I can think of right now, as it is some mods have addressed some of these issues allready or at least attempted to, some of these ideas are minor things and some would require heavy changes (unless its changed oxygen at the moment is a yes or no question planetwide for example) I'm also sure some of these ideas will be controversial and that's fine, i've never tried to balance a game before and these are just some of my ideas for improvement.

TL:DR The game could be so much more than it is with some minor changes and it sucks that it's changed so little so far.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
http://playstarbound.com/what-to-expect-from-the-next-update-1-0-and-beyond/ Well, looks like they're doin this stuff. Could be good.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

most of what i'm seeing is 'hey, maybe modders will have something remotely stable to work with at some point'

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Those boxing gloves look cool but would probably be a complete bitch to actually use in combat. But hopefully overall it will be an improvement and-

quote:

The general weapon classes have also been revamped in their primary fires. Hammers require a charge up

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Why can't I stop being an idiot, why can't I stop being hopeful combat will stop being a loving bitch as everything I use to make my life bearable in combat slowly gets taken away bit by bit while they throw on things like slow backwards walking, energy lockdown, and needing to charge my hammer to use it :negative:

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

This... actually looks kind of rad :negative:

Please stop reaping my taint, Starbound.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It looks cool but remember how clunky everything in starbound is.

It will be bad.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Update looks interesting, charging hammers promises to be a royal pain considering how fast enemies move in general. If they can put out something nice and stable for modders to work with alongside good documentation I imagine a lot could get done. Some of the allready existing mods are really impressive and seeing more high quality additions would be amazing, especially multiplayer wise.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm actually okay with hammers needing to charge, since they already had a delay before swinging but it was hard to work out exactly how long it was in the heat of combat, so being able to charge/release would actually make it easier for me to time hits.

There's a lot of cool-looking stuff in there but whether it will actually be fun in practice is the real question. And even with good combat, you still need a reason to play. There still needs to be an attraction, some reason to push on. Last I checked, there was still no real reason to explore or wander the universe, and even settling with renters only yielded some cash or food items, which made it feel pretty useless.
But hey, maybe this actually is a step in the right direction. Time will tell.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Considering the update basically says "we know our game isn't much fun, but with this next patch everything will actually be fun" I think it's probably better to wait and see how the game is before praising it

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Prop Wash posted:

Considering the update basically says "we know our game isn't much fun, but with this next patch everything will actually be fun" I think it's probably better to wait and see how the game is before praising it
As depressing as it is to think about, the starbound team going "we know our game isn't much fun" is actually a good sign because it means they finally face the same reality as everyone else playing it. Gotta recognize you have a problem before you can fix that problem.
Then again "but we added special moves to weapons so now it's fun" is probably not the best way to end that thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
"this time it'll be different, they patch in boring things just cause they love us" - Wife of starb ound

• Locked thread