Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I dunno I remember a shocking amount of parliamentary procedure in those movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Quorum posted:

Don't most malls and things already have unisex bathrooms, in the form of those "family bathrooms"? They handily solve the problems of trans people who want a bathroom nobody will yell at them about, moms who want a space to change their baby's diaper, and people with terminal poop shyness, without much fuss! :v:

It makes me smile every time I see a family bathroom because bigots so frequently use the word "Family" as a dog whistle for their beliefs, and it's being used to facilitate transgender bathrooms. We're taking that word back!

greatn posted:

The only thing those scenes were missing was a point where the chairman asks for a second to a motion, and then has to ask again because no one said "second" and then like three people say "second" all at the same time.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 30, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Shageletic posted:

This made me look up Bail Organa, and apparently he did this in the prequel movies

Jesus, those movies sucked.

This just tells me that the chair of the Galactic Senate was a moron. How hard is it to figure out you can delay with a quorum call?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Zoran posted:

That didn't happen in the movies.

Have you heard that they're making a fourth one?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Quorum posted:

Don't most malls and things already have unisex bathrooms, in the form of those "family bathrooms"? They handily solve the problems of trans people who want a bathroom nobody will yell at them about, moms who want a space to change their baby's diaper, and people with terminal poop shyness, without much fuss! :v:

Not really because now instead of saying "you're a man" or "you're a woman" it's "you're a weirdo who has to use the weirdo bathroom for weirdos."

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

quote:

How they got their powers is a story left untold. Female healers are a storytelling staple - we just don't tell the story of them seeking to master their craft or struggling with the knowledge that their failures harm others.

Let it goooo....

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

greatn posted:

And it all sucked. I don't give a poo poo about senatorial decorum in Star Wars, somebody please pull out a blaster.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Oh right, it's time for Halloween-themed campaign memes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM3aRFEtnv0

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Litany Unheard posted:

Bathrooms are HEAVILY monitored and policed by the populace. Going into the wrong bathroom can actually be life-threatening for a transgender person.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LZbU_JygzQ

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Riosan posted:

And it all sucked. I don't give a poo poo about senatorial decorum in Star Wars, somebody please pull out a blaster.

I wish there had been more. When I saw the crawl in The Phantom Menace and it mentioned a trade dispute, I did a fist pump. I was still disappointed. Why was the Trade Federation blockading Naboo?

Also, not surprising that Republicans hate Bail Organa, considering he was once elected President of the United States as a Democrat.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Riosan posted:

It's amazing that the lightsaber fight in the senate managed to be almost as bad as the actual debate scenes. It only comes out ahead because Jarjar isn't there.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Shifty Pony posted:

E: seriously though "men in women's bathrooms!!" is the go-to conservative freak out over nondiscrimination policies covering transgender persons.

People are really weird about restrooms and it pisses me off.

Like, I generally like single-gender restrooms because I'm shy about making GBS threads right next to a gorgeous stranger--but there is nothing threatening about someone using an 'inappropriate' restroom.

So loving stupid.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ashcans posted:

It's amazing that the lightsaber fight in the senate managed to be almost as bad as the actual debate scenes. It only comes out ahead because Jarjar isn't there.

Right? How do you gently caress up Yoda vs. Palpatine? The two of them should've destroyed the entire senate chamber with crazy force magic and lightsabers.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Joementum posted:

I wish there had been more. When I saw the crawl in The Phantom Menace and it mentioned a trade dispute, I did a fist pump. I was still disappointed. Why was the Trade Federation blockading Naboo?

Also, not surprising that Republicans hate Bail Organa, considering he was once elected President of the United States as a Democrat.

The TPP has some very strong provisions about members that don't allow corporations to use the most favorable regulations.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I came across loads of unisex coed bathrooms while I was in Europe where it was basically just stalls and everyone used them. The obsession over gender is attached to our fun American hang-ups about boys 'n girls sexin' just by being close to each other.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

Why was the Trade Federation blockading Naboo?

IIRC from wookiepedia it was to protest a tax.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Did you ever see the original drafts of episode 4? They were incomprehensible political gobbledygook and that's what comes out when Lucas has no filter.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I came across loads of unisex coed bathrooms while I was in Europe where it was basically just stalls and everyone used them. The obsession over gender is attached to our fun American hang-ups about boys 'n girls sexin' just by being close to each other.

Abstinence only education is very common in the United States, as are confusing sex/flower analogies.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Yeah I think the general consensus is that the biggest reason the prequels were terrible is that by that point Lucas was a cult hero and didn't have people to edit him and override him when he was being dumb. The original trilogy was a collaboration, the prequels were all Lucas (as were the dumb things he added when he redid the originals).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Naboo's actually an example of the whole Republic vs Democracy thing that sometimes comes up: Amidala was a queen, which meant that Naboo might not have had a Legislative / Executive branch that she would answer to or limit her powers, but at the same time she was elected to be a queen, which means Naboo is technically a Republic since the selection of the next monarch is not by birth, even if the head-of-state does have monarchical powers.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

gradenko_2000 posted:

Naboo's actually an example of the whole Republic vs Democracy thing that sometimes comes up: Amidala was a queen, which meant that Naboo might not have had a Legislative / Executive branch that she would answer to or limit her powers, but at the same time she was elected to be a queen, which means Naboo is technically a Republic since the selection of the next monarch is not by birth, even if the head-of-state does have monarchical powers.

And also, apparently Amidala introduced term limits on the monarchy. Meanwhile, Alderaan was also an elective monarchy, but their Crown Prince / Princess was voted on by the noble houses, so it worked more like the Holy Roman Empire.

And these worlds participated in a Galactic Republic, which really functioned as a confederacy.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm surprised that a show in the 90s figured out bathrooms, and that was Ally McBeal.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Did you ever see the original drafts of episode 4? They were incomprehensible political gobbledygook and that's what comes out when Lucas has no filter.

From everything I heard, the editors saved Episode 4. There was so much cut content from original principle photography (and a bit of it made it back into the Special Edition). I wonder how people would have reacted had they kept the Luke & Biggs on Tatooine scene in there.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Ashcans posted:

Zeroisanumber posted:

Right? How do you gently caress up Yoda vs. Palpatine? The two of them should've destroyed the entire senate chamber with crazy force magic and lightsabers.

Even as a child, I knew that Yoda flipping around waving a tiny lightsaber was laughably cringe worthy. Particularly in Attack of the Clones.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

Not really because now instead of saying "you're a man" or "you're a woman" it's "you're a weirdo who has to use the weirdo bathroom for weirdos."

Another problem would be mandating buildings to have them. People still bitch about needing to pay for wheelchair access.

Also about the relative grossness of gendered bathrooms: While working at a restaurant I'd have to clean ours from time to time. The men's always looked bad, but the women's always smelled worse.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Joementum posted:

Unisex bathrooms was one of the main complaints of Phyllis Schlafly's STOP ERA campaign, along with women in combat and gay marriage.

Gods wounds I am looking forward to when everything this hateful lady campaigned against comes into being. I hope she is still alive to see it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Most people forget that George Lucas was married to Marcia Lou Griffin who is a brilliant editor/ filmmaker who won one of the six Oscars for Star Wars. She also was credited with Han Solo and Leia being a couple and the love triangle between Luke, Han, and Leia. Also a lot of the ideas surrounding Star Wars were actually hers.

Basically she and another guy who's name I forget always pushed for more personsal stories and involvements which is what makes the first 3 films so great.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Jazerus posted:

He was

A. From New York

B. Unable to construct a sentence that didn't include "9/11"

B is really really the issue here. I was at a convention that had him as the keynote speaker in 2013 - 12 years after the event and 5 after he was last running for office. He spent an hour and a half talking, and the only subjects he touched on were 9/11 and Obama Bad. He didn't even bring up being mayor of New York (to a bunch of New Yorkers) except in the context of 9/11. It was bad enough that a room full of old, white conservatives in the finance sector thought he was boring and uninteresting.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

evilweasel posted:

Yeah I think the general consensus is that the biggest reason the prequels were terrible is that by that point Lucas was a cult hero and didn't have people to edit him and override him when he was being dumb. The original trilogy was a collaboration, the prequels were all Lucas (as were the dumb things he added when he redid the originals).
Despecialized Edition 2.5 plus Machete order (4,5,2,3,6) is all you need to make Star Wars watchable again.

edit: only downside of the Despecialized Edition is for some reason they kept the old explosions, which are real bad. Don't know why they did that.

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 30, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"There's only three things he mentions in a sentence -- a noun, a verb, and 9/11. There's nothing else! There's nothing else!" - Joe Biden, on Rudy Giuliani

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lucas adding that stupid song piece to Jabba's lair when redoing the originals always sticks with me as particularly blatant and I'm not even a real fan of the series.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

gradenko_2000 posted:

"There's only three things he mentions in a sentence -- a noun, a verb, and 9/11. There's nothing else! There's nothing else!" - Joe Biden, on Rudy Giuliani
It's like mad libs. :allears:

"Give me a noun!"
"Bush"
"and a verb"
"did"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FAUXTON posted:

Lucas adding that stupid song piece to Jabba's lair when redoing the originals always sticks with me as particularly blatant and I'm not even a real fan of the series.

Laserdisc version best version

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Laserdisc version best version

my man

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Hollismason posted:

Most people forget that George Lucas was married to Marcia Lou Griffin who is a brilliant editor/ filmmaker who won one of the six Oscars for Star Wars. She also was credited with Han Solo and Leia being a couple and the love triangle between Luke, Han, and Leia. Also a lot of the ideas surrounding Star Wars were actually hers.

Basically she and another guy who's name I forget always pushed for more personsal stories and involvements which is what makes the first 3 films so great.

I think the differences are best captured in the final fights of both series (Luke vs. Vader and Annikin vs. Obi Wan). They are both the final duels that the three movies have been leading to, there is a lot of personal drama involved, the whole scenes are even roughly the same length. But they are so incredibly different. The OT duel is a lot of character stuff, Luke getting suckered into an attack, trying to avoid fighting, getting taunted by Vader, building up to the eventual turn by Vader. The actual fighting is pretty sparse, but when it happens it has a lot of weight (Luke and Vader on the gantry, for instance, is awesome even if the choreography isn't remarkable). The prequel duel though is like three lines of canned dialogue and then an interminable amount of backflipping in various setpieces before Obi wan wins and runs away crying. It's so bland that I completely forgot that there was a section where they surf on a lava river.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Haystack posted:

Offhand? Million Dollar Baby. Which... is also a tragedy about an ambitious woman getting randomly murdered by the universe after ignoring the misgivings of her gruff father figure. Hmmm. I see your point.

Does dancing count? I would think there's a few movies about dancers. Besides Black Swan.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Kafka Esq. posted:

Despecialized Edition 2.5 plus Machete order (4,5,2,3,6) is all you need to make Star Wars watchable again.

edit: only downside of the Despecialized Edition is for some reason they kept the old explosions, which are real bad. Don't know why they did that.

Because they're the despecialized editions. The whole point is purity to the original.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Riosan posted:

Even as a child, I knew that Yoda flipping around waving a tiny lightsaber was laughably cringe worthy. Particularly in Attack of the Clones.

You take that back!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Speaking of evil empires, we're sending special forces to Syria to fight ISIS.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yoda throwing down is pretty much the best loving thing and if you can't enjoy that you have no joy left in your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Fix posted:

Because they're the despecialized editions. The whole point is purity to the original.

Star Wars cannot fail, it can only be failed.

• Locked thread