Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

That was a hard-fought Timurids to Mughals run, Delhi ended up crazy big and got an alliance with the Ottomans and it took a while to find a weakness. But then I did, took all the provinces I needed, clicked the button, and enjoyed the soothing new color. Then I promptly quit when I saw all my claims on India, which I just knew were going to expire before I got to use a lot of them, and remembered that in Cossacks they'll be permanent claims.

Timurids are a good start for a mid-level player, because you really have to keep an eye on your stability. Low religious unity, not a lot of development and rebels of drat near every flavor mean that you're only a few dice rolls away from REBELS EVERYWHERE. Your ruler is 1/1/1, his heir is 1/1/1, and they're both like 50 years old. Plus you get an event a little while in that raises the unrest in every Shia province by 10%. No wonder the Timurids end up exploding in pretty much every CS game I play. Oh, and you can't ally the Ottomans because they're ~historical rivals~. Whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Baron Porkface opinions#16: increasing stability while negative should cost Military points rather than admin.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
So what is the secret to being made emperor by winning the League Wars? It always sounds like the Protestant League leader is made emperor upon its victory, even as someone outside of the Empire, but I've lead it to victory multiple times and it always goes to some tiny Protestant duchy that contributed nothing.

One time it even went to a Protestant member of the Catholic League, which just feels wrong.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jazerus posted:

Well, Expansion and Quantity together are not actually as bad in this situation as they would be apart, since they give a +1 Colonist policy. You might as well pick up Exploration next as well at that point and be all-in on colonization since you have 2/3 of the colonization idea groups already. Having 3-4 colonists running by 1550 is exponentially more useful than just one or two, and it isn't too ambitious to plan on being able to colonize and funnel trade from the west coast of the Americas to Asia as well as eventually dominate the Ivory Coast to capture the Caribbean trade. It takes a little more work to become a Britain-like global trade parasite when you aren't in Europe but if you start early it's very rewarding. Plus as Vijay you should be fairly secure at home and not really need the bonuses of the other idea groups for a while.

That policy is a hell of a lot worse for a non-Western nation though, because you need those military points that much more.

QuarkJets posted:

Thanks for the posts guys, it's good to know that I'm not just stupid and that the siege tooltips really are difficult to comprehend. I had read all of them, but the fact that there are 12 phases did not come across at all.
Well that's because there aren't really 12 phases. What that is is a Length of Siege modifier. How sieges work is that as long as you have the minimum number of men to maintain a siege, the siege progress counter tricks up. Once this is filled (an average of 28 days or something, loads of modifiers) a Siege Tick takes place. Dice are rolled, and according to how well you rolled, modified by the other numbers in the siege window (+leader siege, -for no blockade, etc), an effect happens. This can be status quo, water shortage, defenders desert, disease outbreak, walls breached, garrison surrender, and likely a few more. Most of those events increase the Siege Progress counter, typically by +1 or +2. Siege Progress then applies as a modifier to future siege rolls. It counts up to 12 for level 2-3 forts, and 14 for more advanced forts.

You can see the likelyhood of each event if you mouse over the dice icon in the siege view. The odds of the garrison surrendering on the next tick is the percentage that's shown beside the attacking army on the map. Particularly if you have a leader with an excellent siege score, up against a low level fort, sieges can end in way less than 12 ticks. I've seen it happen in 1 before, for a properly garrisoned fort even.

GSD posted:

So what is the secret to being made emperor by winning the League Wars? It always sounds like the Protestant League leader is made emperor upon its victory, even as someone outside of the Empire, but I've lead it to victory multiple times and it always goes to some tiny Protestant duchy that contributed nothing.

One time it even went to a Protestant member of the Catholic League, which just feels wrong.
Upon conclusion of the league war in favor of the protestants, all the Catholic electors are removed, and a new election takes place. The remaining protestant electors have a free vote, and whoever they like best will win. Leading the league war has no impact, although it probably should.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 30, 2015

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What if all electors are catholic?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Leagues are only enabled if there are 1 or more Protestant electors. If say there were only 1, then leagues fired, and then that elector was annexed or converted, I don't know what would happen. My guess would be an auto-victory for the Catholics.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Is, uh, this supposed to happen?

They didn't convert or anything.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

They were actually a member of the Protestant League in real life to weaken their Rivals, Catholic Austria. :eng101:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

GreyPowerVan posted:

They were actually a member of the Protestant League in real life to weaken their Rivals, Catholic Austria. :eng101:
Really! The motivation certainly makes sense, but I had thought that in the game the leagues were limited to the proper religion.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Strudel Man posted:

Really! The motivation certainly makes sense, but I had thought that in the game the leagues were limited to the proper religion.

All you need to join one of the Religious leagues is to have your Capitol in Europe.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks for the advice on Vijay guys, guess I'll pick up Exploration next and go all out on colonization.

This is my first game as a non-western nation and I'm having a lot of fun, what are some other good and fun medium sized nations outside of Europe?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I'm playing Bahmanis and it's kind of like a Vijay game. I'm going to be able to form Hindustan soon and right now I have religious for CBs and missionaries and Quantity because wars in the tropics are horrible. I've been wondering what to do next, a Diplomatic group seems like a natural fit because I'm up to a good pace in Dip tech but a bit behind in Admin (all those new provinces to core!). Exploration to waltz into Africa? Trade to take advantage of Ceylon and Goa and go hog wild in Asia? The fun part is that I'll run into more developed nations inevitably so it's not like the PLC game where you're unstoppable after a certain point. Some western power can push my poo poo in before I can westernise.

Also, Ming is already giving me the stink-eye.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Strudel Man posted:

Is, uh, this supposed to happen?

They didn't convert or anything.

I like how this same question has been asked at least ten times total in these threads. Truth is stranger than fiction indeed.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Because everyone is playing Admin up, is the idea group really worth it if you're planning to stay (relatively) small in Europe? As Netherlands at least I've never found the benefits to be that compelling because if I'm limiting myself to the low countries plus vassalizing some of France/Germany's minor cultures, the 25% coring discount doesn't seem like it'll get me all that much points saved?

The mercenary bonuses seem decidedly average as going tall with quantity gives you what seems to me to be a decent enough pool of manpower that mercenaries aren't really necessary. Maybe the auto-merc-upgrade slated for the next patch will make it better but in my mind I'd rather be building ships so I can privateer and protect trade and get more ducats. The +1 adviser bonus might as well not exist with how often I find myself thinking "man i wish i had more advisors" (never)
Interest per annum is also pretty unnecessary as I'm often swimming in so much cash that loans are a distant afterthought.

So that leaves me in the end with the goods produced modifier at the end when you complete it, and cheaper admin tech. Doesn't seem worth a whole idea group for two useful effects? Feel free to tell me how I'm a horrible player and can use Administrative to supercharge my France-whupping game though, because I'm not really seeing it.

E: Is there also a way to figure out which colonial provinces will have a changed name for a colonizer, or add new ones? (like how Manhattan changes to New York or New Amsterdam)

E2: V you are right.

Hambilderberglar fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 30, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

It's cheaper admin tech, not diplo. I think.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
If you don't think you will need mercs and you're not expanding then you can pretty much just ignore it. Though if you're playing a small nation mercs will probably be more important to you than to larger nations.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
+1 advisors is kind of useless now that you can buy away useless advisors.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Admin is mostly good on the back of the coring discount. If you are not planning to use it, the idea group loses most of its oomph. As a small Netherlands, you'd be better of with an Exploration/Expansion combo if you want to colonize.

londonmoose
Mar 22, 2011
Speaking of the leagues, what determines whether the AI (especially outside of the HRE) joins in, and is there any way to influence this as a player? I'm playing my first game as emperor with Austria. France are rivalled to me so could they in theory join the Protestants? Ottomans already did. I'm allied to Spain and wouldn't mind them joining me but I suppose as allies they'd get called in anyway?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Yashichi posted:

+1 advisors is kind of useless now that you can buy away useless advisors.

I sort of feel like the advisor system could use an overhaul.

Like maybe you can recruit any kind of advisor at any time but they have a 'base cost' on how useful they are (colonial range is cheaper then discipline) which is then multiplied by how many monarch points you want.

Or, possibly, decouple advisors from monarch points, get rid of the current 'national focus' and have a system where you can buy monthly monarch points at a suitably steep rate. Like each category has a + & - key with a price underneath.

Repeatedly firing advisors until you get one you like just feels... kludgy.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Too bad you can't hire foreign advisors at all.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Cynic Jester posted:

Admin is mostly good on the back of the coring discount. If you are not planning to use it, the idea group loses most of its oomph. As a small Netherlands, you'd be better of with an Exploration/Expansion combo if you want to colonize.
Exploration, Expansion, Quantity is my usual opening order, I just kept hearing admin admin admin so I wanted to make sure I'm not missing out on anything cool. I fill the rest out with Trade (for the merchants) Maritime (coastal seazone repair plus thalassocracy merchant) Econ (development cost) Plutocratic (merchant, caravan power, tech discount, manpower recovery) and a wildcard humanism/innovative/another mil idea thats not naval.

Poil posted:

Wasn't this different in the past? I think EU3 at the very least had foreign advisors move in to your court after not being hired for X amount of time? I was under the impression this happens in EU4 as well, since as Netherlands you do get a discount on all the advisors it spawns for you, with those advisers being 50% cheaper to hire. I would assume not hiring them means that Erasmus or whomever can decide to move his rear end to Paris or London and be hired at full price by them?

Hambilderberglar fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 30, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Poil posted:

It would be neat if domestic advisors were cheaper and became available to a regional pool of advisors that anyone could hire after x amount of time; foreign advisors would cost more to hire and maybe a bit more monthly.

Hambilderberglar posted:

Exploration, Expansion, Quantity is my usual opening order, I just kept hearing admin admin admin so I wanted to make sure I'm not missing out on anything cool. I fill the rest out with Trade (for the merchants) Maritime (coastal seazone repair plus thalassocracy merchant) Econ (development cost) Plutocratic (merchant, caravan power, tech discount, manpower recovery) and a wildcard humanism/innovative/another mil idea thats not naval.

Wasn't this different in the past? I think EU3 at the very least had foreign advisors move in to your court after not being hired for X amount of time? I was under the impression this happens in EU4 as well, since as Netherlands you do get a discount on all the advisors it spawns for you, with those advisers being 50% cheaper to hire. I would assume not hiring them means that Erasmus or whomever can decide to move his rear end to Paris or London and be hired at full price by them?
I do not remember EU3 that well but that is definitely not the case in EU4.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Sokrateez posted:

Thanks for the advice on Vijay guys, guess I'll pick up Exploration next and go all out on colonization.

This is my first game as a non-western nation and I'm having a lot of fun, what are some other good and fun medium sized nations outside of Europe?

Ethiopia is super fun. Take exploration first to size the Cape and as much of Africa while you can. Race to take Egypt from the Mamluks before the Ottomans can get a mission for it. By the time you're bumping up against the Ottomans you should be big enough to ally the Commonwealth or another major Christian power from across the Mediterranean. Oh and you start with a God-King so you can eke out a tech advantage on all of your neighbors.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

I couldn't wait for France to get weakened because she and her allies kept winning every war they fought decisively so I just waited until I could get England, Scandinavia and the Ottomans to be willing to join me who then proceeded to distract all their allies while France and I rammed our stacks of ~200k into each other in the Pyrenees. Even though I was Military 24 vs France's 23 and I had Offensive/Quality/Quantity filled out they could still beat me in an even fight thanks to Elan but at least the AI doesn't spam mercs prior to a big fight.

Still sad that Andalusia is another one of those formables with an inferior colour to the original nation(s).

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's a balling rear end Hamburg.

And yeah. Hannover, Scandinava, Germany, HRE/Prussia (if you hate gray), Hindustan, Arabia... The list goes on and on.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Larry Parrish posted:

That's a balling rear end Hamburg.

And yeah. Hannover, Scandinava, Germany, HRE/Prussia (if you hate gray), Hindustan, Arabia... The list goes on and on.

You should be able to open the custom nation interface at any time to change your countries flag/name/rgb color.

tia Wiz.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I'm pretty bummed that after refusing to change Prussia for so long, they're now changing Bavaria's map color to blue. It's just not right...

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

PittTheElder posted:

I'm pretty bummed that after refusing to change Prussia for so long, they're now changing Bavaria's map color to blue. It's just not right...

Have you considered that you might care far too much about map colors in a computer game?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Wiz posted:

Have you considered that you might care far too much about map colors in a computer game?

I'm pretty sure map colours in a map painting game is of primary importance.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wiz posted:

It's the one thing you can't change, influence, or make up for except through formables so really it is the most important aspect of playing. Way to out yourself as a Terrain Mapmode user though :smug:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Wiz posted:

Yes right, and you'll be telling us next that pretty borders are of no consequence :rolleyes:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Wiz posted:

I have. But this is a map painting game. Map colour is of primary importance.

The change of Bavaria is particularly interesting, since it's pretty unique in it's region, looks fine, and has been the same for as long as I can remember. Those same things apply to Prussia's current colour as well, but if the grey was fine, why change Bavaria in the first place? :crying0-49-83:

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Wiz posted:

It's what you look at most of the time.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wiz posted:

I find myself suddenly questioning your competence and moral foundation.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

All the bonuses for trading in X are kinda silly if you think about them too hard.

I like the +fort defense for trading in coffee.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Bavaria is light blue in Victoria/2. This is just the prep work to make it easier to convert EU4 to V3.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Some guy tweeted at me and asked me to make Bavaria blue so I did. I'd change Prussia but it's grey by Decree of Johan.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Wiz posted:

Some guy tweeted at me and asked me to make Bavaria blue so I did. I'd change Prussia but it's grey by Decree of Johan.

Bring back yellow-green Prussia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Wiz posted:

Some guy tweeted at me and asked me to make Bavaria blue so I did.
This is an approach to game developing I really can appreciate.

• Locked thread