Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Radio! posted:

Octavia Butler's Lilith's Brood.

Somebody wildcard me now please.

White Teeth by Zadie Smith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Dahl book sounds good. Thanks bookfriends.

(White Teeth is on my to-read list already)

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

Radio! posted:

Somebody wildcard me now please.

Interesting.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

High Warlord Zog posted:

Read the Dahl book.

:tutbutt:

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Radio! posted:

Really, really good book.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I don't think I will finish anything else this week so here's my September update:
Jon Ronson - So You've Been Publicly Shamed
Legs McNeil - Please Kill Me (booklord challenge #16)
Richard H. Popkin - Philosophy Made Simple (booklord challenge #4)
Jon Morris - The League of Regrettable Superheroes: Half-Baked Heroes from Comic Book History
Tana French - In The Woods (booklord challenge #22)

Ronson's book was really interesting and I'm going to read some of his other work this year. Please Kill Me was great, I'm glad I finally read it after owning it for years, but it really made me lose some respect for some people who I had tangential knowledge of previously. The philosophy book was just a basic primer but as someone who has never studied anything related to philosophy it was the basics. The Jon Morris book was a dud. The Tana French book was great, I loved it and have ordered the next couple of books in the series, so that was a nice surprise! Here's my progress on the Booklord challenge:

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year. (Currently at 46/35)
2. Read 10 books by female authors (Currently at 15/10)
3. The non-white author (Janet Mock - Redefining Realness)
4. Philosophy (Richard H. Popkin - Philosophy Made Simple)
5. History (Elizabeth Gillan Muir - Riverdale: East of the Don)
6. An essay (Paul Lockhart - The Mathematician's Lament)
7. A collection of poetry (Patricia Lockwood - Motherland Fatherland Homelandsexuals)
8. Something post-modern (Douglas Coupland - Worst Person Ever)
9. Something absurdist
10. The Blind Owl
11. Something on either hate or love (Joe Palca and Flora Lichtman - Annoying: The Science of What Bugs Us)
12. Something dealing with space (Mark Danielewski - House of Leaves)
13. Something dealing with the unreal (Margaret Atwood - The Year of the Flood)
14. Wildcard (George Macdonald Fraser - Black Ajax)
15. Something published this year or the past three months (Nick Cutter - The Deep)
16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time (Legs McNeil - Please Kill Me)
17. A play (Neil Simon - The Odd Couple)
18. Biography (Amy Poehler - Yes Please)
19. The color red (Josef Albers - Interaction of Color)
20. Something banned or censored (Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451)
21. Short story(s) (Heather O'Neill - Daydreams of Angels)
22. A mystery (Tana French - In The Woods)

I only have one more booklord challenge to finish, and I know what I am reading for it (A Confederacy of Dunces), so I guess I will probably finish the booklord challenge in October. Currently reading The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub, and after that I intend to start Brown Girl in the Ring by Nalo Hopkinson - then I'll likely move to my last booklord challenge book.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
September!

89. Tell the Wolves I’m Home - Carol Rifka Brunt
90. Gone Baby Gone (Kenzie and Gennaro #4) - Dennis Lehane
91. Purity - Jonathan Franzen
92. Lucky Alan & Other Stories - Jonathan Lethem
93. The Three-Body Problem - Liu Cixin
94. The Crossing (Border Trilogy #2) - Cormac McCarthy
95. Ghosts - Henrik Ibsen
96. Trigger Warning: Short Stories and Other Disturbances - Neil Gaiman
97. Stardust - Neil Gaiman
98. Iron Council (Bas-Lag #3) - China Mieville
99. Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts
100. Dead Beat (Dresden #7) - Jim Butcher
101. The Silence of Bonaventure Arrow - Rita Leganski
102. Cities of the Plain (Border Trilogy #3) - Cormac McCarthy

Reading a lot these days, in addition to various books pertaining to my impending dad-hood. (After that, who knows how much I'll read outside of Dr Seuss?) Some very good stuff, though: McCarthy's Border Trilogy ended as strongly as it began, as Cities of the Plain was excellent. (The Crossing was good, too, but I felt like I didn't really get a handle on the main character, Billy Parham, until Cities of the Plain.) Shantaram was a very interesting and entertaining read, though the author/narrator seemed a little full of himself at times. And both "Tell the Wolves I'm Gone" and "The Silence of Bonaventure Arrow" were fantastic books that I'm glad I tracked down. Tell the Wolves I'm Gone is about a young girl whose uncle dies of AIDS, and Bonaventure Arrow is about a boy who can't speak but has supernatural hearing. All in all, good stuff.

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year.: 102/100
2. Read a female author: 15 (Leganski and Brunt)
3. The non-white author: Liu Cixin
4. Philosophy
5. History
6. An essay
7. A collection of poetry
8. Something post-modern
9. Something absurdist
10. The Blind Owl
11. Something on either hate or love
12. Something dealing with space
13. Something dealing with the unreal
14. Wildcard (Some one else taking the challenge will tell you what to read)
15. Something published this year or the past three months
16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time
17. A play: Henrik Ibsen, "Ghosts"
18. Biography
19. The color red
20. Something banned or censored
21. Short story(s): "Lucky Alan" and "Trigger Warning"
22. A mystery

oliven
Jan 25, 2006

love all cats
September! I've managed to get more or less back on schedule, so that's good. A few shorter reads this month, which makes the list look more impressive than it is :shobon:

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year (37/45)
2. Read a female author (Little Women)
3. The non-white author (The Three-Body Problem)
4. Philosophy (Fear and Trembling)
5. History (The Five Stages of Fascism)
6. An essay (We Should All Be Feminists)
7. A collection of poetry (Samlede dikt)
8. Something post-modern (The Crying of Lot 49)
9. Something absurdist (Catch-22)
10. The Blind Owl
11. Something on either hate or love (Please Ignore Vera Dietz)
12. Something dealing with space (The Martian)
13. Something dealing with the unreal (The Colour of Magic)
14. Wildcard (Musicophilia)
15. Something published this year or the past three months (George)
16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time (Anna på fredag)
17. A play (The Importance of Being Earnest)
18. Biography (You're Never Weird on the Internet)
20. Something banned or censored (Brave New World)
21. Short story(s) (Perfect State)
22. A mystery (Murder on the Orient Express)

oliven posted:

Currently reading Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger.

26. Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger: Insufferable.

27. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell: Surprisingly not as messy as I thought it would be, considering that it's about a girl who writes a lot of fanfiction. Some parts were less convincing (the fictional excerpts from the in-universe author that was supposedly super famous for writing really well weren't great, for example), but overall I thought the main story was charming.

28. The Five Stages of Fascism by Robert O. Paxton: Turns out I knew very little about fascism, so this was an interesting read.

29. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley: Another classic I never got around to reading until now. I thought the universe was interesting and (sort of) well-constructed, however none of the characters really drew me in. Ultimately, I felt the idea was solid and the execution was so-so.

30. Samlede dikt by André Bjerke: Collection of poetry (literal title) by Norwegian poet André Bjerke. I remember reading his poems when I was a child, and they're still really good.

31. George by Alex Gino: George desperately wants to play the role of Charlotte in the class play version of Charlotte's Web. However, she's not even allowed to try out for the role because everyone thinks she's a boy. This story was short and sweet and not nearly as sad as I feared it would be.

32. We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: A great introduction to feminism. It's basic, sure, but it's well written and on point throughout.

33. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein: A story about two women (a spy and a pilot) during World War II. I don't normally care much for historical war stories or whatever but this was actually really good. The pace was slightly odd in places, but overall I enjoyed it a lot.

34. The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon: This didn't grab me at all.

35. Fear and Trembling by Søren Kierkegaard: Interesting discussion about the Binding of Isaac. Is Abraham sacrificing his son, or murdering him? One is ethical (ish), the other is not.

36. Asking For It by Louise O'Neill: This book was hard to get through. Not because it's not good (it is), but because of the subject matter. Emma is a narcissistic "mean girl" who gets sexually assaulted at a party by multiple people. She was drugged out and can't remember anything, but there's photos and videos and most people seem to think she has herself to blame. The book deals mostly with the aftermath and how she handles it all, not going into details of the actual assault, but it's still brutal as all hell.

37. The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness: I wish I knew the book ended in a cliffhanger before reading it, but oh well. It has a lot of cheap tricks like revealing some massive plot point to the protagonist, but not the reader, so it's all about his reaction to this terrible thing that we don't get to know about until the end of the book. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good enough to make me want to keep reading the series.

Currently reading The Red Notebook by Antoine Laurain, which will wrap up the booklord challenge for me.

Prolonged Shame
Sep 5, 2004

Prolonged Shame posted:

1) The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory
2) Akira Vol. 3 - Katsuhiro Otomo
3) Steel Magnolias - Robert Harling
4) The Four Feathers - A.E.W. Mason
5) Giant's Bread - Mary Westmacott (AKA Agatha Christie)
6) A Good Marriage - Stephen King
7) Eiger Dreams: Ventures Among Men and Mountains - Jon Krakauer
8) In the Heart of the Sea: the Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex - Nathaniel Philbrick
9) Foundation - Isaac Asimov
10) The Best of Edward Abbey - Edward Abbey
11) A Spy Among Friends: Kim Philby and the Great Betrayal - Robert Macintyre
12) Perfume: The Story of a Murderer - Patrick Süskind
13) Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn #1) - Brandon Sanderson
14) The Giver - Lois Lowry
15) Lost in the City - Edward P. Jones
16) The Blithedale Romance - Nathaniel Hawthorne
17) Akira Vol. 4 - Katsuhiro Otomo
18) The Art of War - Sun Tzu
19) William Howard Taft: The Travails of a Progressive Conservative - Jonathan Lurie
20) The Maltese Falcon - Dashiell Hammet
21) Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass - Frederick Douglass
22) Spring Snow - Yukio Mishima
23) The Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham
24) The Arabian Nights: Tales From a Thousand and One Nights - Anonymous
25) Arabella - Georgette Heyer
26) Woodrow Wilson: World Statesman - Kendrick A. Clements[
27) The Blind Owl - Sadegh Hedayat
28) Worm - Wildbow
29) The Rosetta Key - William Deitrich
30) Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
31) The Ohio Gang: The World of Warren G. Harding - Charles L. Mee
32) Shadow Scale - Rachel Hartman
33) The Well of Ascension (Mistborn #2) - Brandon Sanderson
34) A Royal Experiment: The Private Life of King George III - Janice Hadlow
35) Calvin Coolidge - David Greenberg[
36) Savage Summit: The True Stories of the First Five Women Who Climbed K2, the Worlds Most Feared Mountain - Jennifer Jordan
37) White Teeth - Zadie Smith
38) I Come From the Stone Age - Heinrich Harrer
39) Akira Vol.5 - Katsuhiro Otomo
40) An American Tragedy - Theodore Dreiser
41) Throne of Jade - Naomi Novik
42) The Hero of Ages (Mistborn #3) - Brandon Sanderson
43) Unfinished Portrait - Agatha Christie writing as Mary Westmacott
44) French Lessons: Adventures With Knife, Fork, and Corkscrew - Peter Mayle
45) Akira Vol. 6 - Katsuhiro Otomo
46) Herbert Hoover - William E. Leuchtenburg
47) The Enchanted April - Elizabeth Von Armin
48) Paris - Edward Rutherfurd
49) Shelley: Poems - Percy Bysshe Shelley
50) The Boleyn Inheritance - Philippa Gregory
51) Cod: A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World - Mark Kurlansky
52) Big Little Lies - Liane Moriarty
53) Black Hawk Down - Mark Bowden
54) FDR - Jean Edward Smith
55) The Running Man - Stephen King
56) Orange is the New Black - Piper Kerman
57) A Brief History of Seven Killings - Marlon James
58) The Mists of Avalon - Marion Zimmer Bradley
59) Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail - Cheryl Strayed
60) Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse #1) - Charlaine Harris
61) The Rose and the Yew Tree - Mary Westmacott (AKA Agatha Christie)
62) Black Powder War (Temeraire #3) - Naomi Novik
63) Foucault's Pendulum - Umberto Eco
64) Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania - Erik Larson
65) The Queen's Fool - Philippa Gregory
66) Truman - David McCullough
67) 41 Stories - O. Henry
68) If on a Winter's Night a Traveler - Italo Calvino
69) Eisenhower in War and Peace - Jean Edward Smith

September was another good month for reading:

70) The Circus Fire: A True Story of an American Tragedy - Stewart O'Nan: An account of the 1944 Hartford circus fire. Well written, almost too detailed when it comes to some of the details of the fire.
71) Russka: The novel of Russia - Edward Rutherford: This was so-so. He does better when writing about places he knows well (England). It was difficult to follow the threads of the families through history and I could barely muster up sympathy for any of the characters.
72) Pale Fire - Vladimir Nabokov: I really liked this, though it wasn't quite as good as Lolita.
73) Just Kids - Patti Smith: The autobiographical account of Patti Smith's time living in NY in the 70's-80's and of her relationship with the artist Robert Mapplethorpe. I really enjoyed this, much more than I thought I would.
74) A Daughter's a Daughter - Mary Westmacott (AKA Agatha Christie): Another of Christie's 'psychological' novels, about the relationship between a mother and adult daughter and how it impacts their lives outside the relationship.
75) Dark Rooms - Lili Anolik: Bad. I picked this up because it sounded interesting and because people kept comparing it to The Secret History, which I loved. It was awful. It started out mediocre and just slowly slid downhill. It seemed like an interesting premise but it just never delivered.
76) Unbroken: A World War II Story of survival, Resilience, and Redemption - Laura Hillenbrand: The true story of an Olympic runner whose plane goes down in the pacific during WWII. He survives over a month drifting on a raft, only to be captured by the Japanese and sent to a POW camp. Very, very good.
77) The Burden - Mary Westmacott (AKA agatha Christie) The last of the non-mystery novels. Excellent.
78) Fairyland: A Memoir of my Father - Alysia Abbott: A very good memoir by a woman who was raised by her gay single-father in San Francisco in the 70's-80's after her mother died. She has a unique perspective on the generation of men who were lost to AIDS during that time, including her father.
79) An Unfinished Life: John F. Kennedy 1917-1963 - Robert Dallek: This was ok. I would have liked more about his personal life and less excruciating detail about which adviser said what when and to who, but the sections on his health problems were interesting, and the chapter on the Cuban missile crisis was intense. Still, overall it was disappointing. His family post-election was barely mentioned, and his children may as well not have existed for all the attention they got.
80) Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse #2) - Charlaine Harris: This was a cute, quick read. I like seeing the differences from the TV show and these are fun little books to read.

Total: 80/100
Presidential bios: 9/12
Non Fiction barring prez bios: 19/25

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

saphron posted:

saphron posted:
1. The Last Man by Mary Shelley (2: Read a female author)
2. The Magician’s Land by Lev Grossman
3. The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (19. The color red)
4. The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde (17. A play)
5. Trust Me, I'm Lying: Confessions of a Media Manipulator by Ryan Holiday (6. An essay)
6. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (11. Something on either hate or love)
7. The Crown Tower by Michael Sullivan
8. Traitor's Blade by Sebastien de Castell
9-11. Riyria Revelations series (Theft of Swords, Rise of Empire, Heir of Novron) by Michael J. Sullivan
12. Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino (reread, 8. Something post-modern)
13. Ink and Steel by Elizabeth Bear
14. Vision in Silver by Anne Bishop
15. Autumn in the Heavenly Kingdom: China, the West, and the Epic Story of the Taiping Civil War by Stephen R. Platt (5. History)
16. Satin Island by Tom McCarthy

17. Academic Exercises by K.J. Parker (21. Short Stories)

18. The Paper Magician by Charlie N. Holmberg

19. Orlando by Virginia Woolf

20. Uprooted by Naomi Novik (15. Something published this year or the past three months)

21. The Future of the Mind: The Scientific Quest to Understand, Enhance, and Empower the Mind by Michio Kaku

22. Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear

23. The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett

24. What It Is Like to Go to War by Karl Marlantes

25. The Emperor’s Blades by Brian Staveley

26. The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin (12. Something dealing with space)

27. The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison

28. Sorcerer to the Crown by Zen Cho (3. A non-white author)

29. The Flamethrowers by Rachel Kushner

30. A Fighting Chance by Elizabeth Warren (18. Biography)

31. Wool Omnibus by Hugh Howey

32. The Rose and the Thorn by Michael J. Sullivan

Slacked off on posting for a while, but I managed to get through a bunch of books over the summer, if not any of the books I meant to get through at the start of summer. Standouts include Academic Exercises (which ended as enjoyable as it started), Orlando (probably the cheeriest of Virginia Woolf’s books, and the sweetest of love letters), Three-Body Problem, The Goblin Emperor, and A Fighting Chance (I’m wary of political biographies but Warren’s story left me feeling hopeful about America’s ability to unfuck itself, despite the odds).

I was also especially fond of Karen Memory and Uprooted, which had female casts that were awesome and that left me feeling warm and fuzzy inside. \o/

So far, I’ve read 32/30 books, which happened a lot faster than I expected, and have a lot of challenge books to go.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

January
  1. Chestnuts: A True Story about Being Bullied by Gilbert Ohanian
  2. The Kosher Guide to Imaginary Animals: The Evil Monkey Dialogues by Ann VanderMeer, Jeff VanderMeer & Duff Goldman
  3. The Black Queen (The Fey #6) by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
  4. The Black King (The Fey #7) by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
    February
  5. The Labours of Hercules (Hercule Poirot, #26) by Agatha Christie
  6. Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld
    March
  7. Harry Potter and the Natural 20 (Harry Potter and the Natural 20, #1) by Sir Poley
  8. Harry Potter and the Confirmed Critical (Harry Potter and the Natural 20, #2) by Sir Poley
  9. Women in Love (Brangwen Family, #2) by D.H. Lawrence
  10. A Mind Forever Voyaging: A History of Storytelling in Video Games by Dylan Holmes
  11. Due Justice (Justice Series, #1) by Diane Capri
  12. Yes Please by Amy Poehler
    April
  13. The Changelings (War of the Fae, #1) by Elle Casey
  14. Killer Cupcakes (A Lexy Baker Bakery Mystery, #1) by Leighann Dobbs
  15. The Long Goodbye (Philip Marlowe #7) by Raymond Chandler
    May
  16. Look Evelyn, Duck Dynasty Wiper Blades. We Should Get Them.: A Collection Of New Essays by David Thorne
  17. Spider-Man and the X-Men by Elliot Kalan
  18. Non Campus Mentis: World History According to College Students by Anders Henriksson
  19. Guards! Guards! (Discworld #8) by Terry Pratchett
  20. Twenty Years After (The D'Artagnan Romances #2) by Alexandre Dumas
    June
  21. College in a Nutskull: A Crash Ed Course in Higher Education by Anders Henriksson
  22. Pen Pal by Francesca Forrest
  23. What a Croc! by The NT News
  24. The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
    July
  25. Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves
  26. Maus by Art Spiegelman
  27. It's a Bird... by Steven T. Seagle & Teddy Kristiansen
  28. It Came from the North: An Anthology of Finnish Speculative Fiction ed. Desirina Boskovich
  29. Datura by Leena Krohn
    August
  30. The Happiest Refugee by Anh Do
  31. The Kewpie Killer by Falafel Jones
  32. The Little Princesses: The Story of the Queen's Childhood by her Nanny, Marion Crawford by Marion Crawford
  33. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
    September
  34. The Diamond Queen: Elizabeth II And Her People by Andrew Marr
  35. The Savior Cometh (Americosis, #1) by Haydn Wilks
  36. Taken at the Flood aka. There is a Tide... (Hercule Poirot, #27) by Agatha Christie
  37. The Phoenix Code by Catherine Asaro
Total: 37/52
Female authors: 16/24
Non-fiction: 12/12

Goodreads.

The Diamond Queen was entertaining and interesting, but obviously very pro-queen - as you'd probably expect. I wouldn't have read it if I hadn't been researching the queen, but I enjoyed it enough to finish it after I'd got what I needed from it.

Taken at the Flood is one of those Poirot books where the titular character shows up late and does very little, so I wasn't that into it, and the ending was bad. It seems like one character is thrown under the bus at the last minute for the sake of making sure the young woman ends up with the "right" man (who Poirot basically lets get away with murder, attempted murder and fraud). The solution does work, but it feels like it shouldn't, and Poirot himself comes across as disinterested. Unless you're determined to read every Poirot story, skip this one.

The Phoenix Code is another one I'd say to skip unless you're particularly keen on the author. It's pretty generic, the twist can be seen coming a mile off, and it doesn't really seem to have much to say. It does get better as it goes along, but the start is really awkward and it takes a while before the main plot even starts, but mostly it's just that there are a million books like this out there, and many of them are better.

The other book I read this month was one I was asked to read by the author (apparently because I gave a positive rating to John Dies at the End) and it was amazing. Just not in a good way. I've already posted some of the "best" quotes from The Savior Cometh to the PYF terrible book thread. There's a time traveller with a dick the length of his thigh, there's a presidential candidate taking orders from the archangel Gabriel, there's some kind of body-stealing sex-demon, there's dinosaurs... it's an incoherent mess and it's hilarious that someone not only wrote it but then asked strangers on the internet to give it honest reviews. If it were free, I'd recommend it for a laugh, but I can't suggest that anyone actually pay money for it, even if it is less than a dollar.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

September update: Please suggest a biography to read, otherwise I'll land on something lulzy like Morrissey's autobiography or whatever

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year. - 41/40
2. Read a female author - Gabriela Mistral, Ingvild Rishøi, Clarice Lispector, Flannery O'Connor
3. The non-white author - Ta-Nehisi Coates
4. Philosophy -
5. History
6. An essay -
7. A collection of poetry - A collection of Poems by Gabriela Mistral (includes poems from Desolación, Ternura, Tala, Lagar and Poema de Chile), The Collected Poems of Alberto Caeiro by Fernando Pessoa, Selected Poems by Percy Bysshe Shelley
8. Something post-modern - Inherent Vice by Pynchon.
9. Something absurdist - Waiting for Godot
10. The Blind Owl (Free translation if your ok with reading on a screen or cant find a copy!) I read this last year
11. Something on either hate or love - Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez
12. Something dealing with space - The Cyberiad by Stanislaw Lem
13. Something dealing with the unreal - Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino
14. Wildcard (Some one else taking the challenge will tell you what to read) - The Cyberiad by Stanislaw Lem
15. Something published this year or the past three months - Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time - Feast of the Goat by Mario Vargas Llosa
17. A play - Waiting for Godot
18. Biography -
19. The color red The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
20. Something banned or censored - Woodcutters by Thomas Bernhard
21. Short story(s) - The Russian Master and Other Stories by Anton Chekhov, Vinternoveller by Ingvild H. Rishøi
22. A mystery - Arguably The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum, I'll see if I cannot get something else too just to make sure I didn't cheat this.

1. Hear the Wind Sing, Haruki Murakami
2. Pinball 1974, Haruki Murakami
3. On The Beach, Neil Shute
4. Collected Poems by Per Sivle
5. History of the Siege of Lisbon, José Saramago
6. Wayfarers, Knut Hamsun
7. The Seed, Tarjei Vesaas
8. Morning and Evening, Jon Fosse
9. The Collected Poems of Alberto Caeiro, Fernando Pessoa
10. Doktor Faustus, Thomas Mann
11. Collection of poems, Gabriela Mistral
12. Doctor Glas, Hjalmar Söderberg
13. Love in the Time of Cholera, Gabriel García Márquez
14. Invisible Cities, Italo Calvino
15. Inherent Vice, Thomas Pynchon
16. Road to the Worl'd End, Sigurd Hoel
17. The Cyberiad, Stanislaw Lem
18. Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad
19. The Clown, Heinrich Böll
20. The Death of Ivan Ilyich, Lev Tolstoy
21. Fathers and Sons, Ivan Turgenev
22. A Theatrical Novel, Mikhail Bulgakov
23. Sleepless, Jon Fosse
24. Woodcutters, Thomas Bernhard
25. Confusion of Feelings, Stefan Zweig
26. The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum, Heinrich Böll
27. The Elephant's Jurney, José Saramago
28. Shyness and Dignity, Dag Solstad
29. Krysantemum, Rune Christiansen
30. The Feast of the Goat, Mario Vargas Llosa
31. Between the World and Me, Ta-Nehisi Coates
32. The Comfort of Strangers, Ian McEwan
33. The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera
34. Homo Faber, Max Frisch
35. Not Art, Péter Esterházy
36. Faust, Ivan Turgenev
37. Selected Poems, Percy Bysshe Shelley
38. The Russian Master and Other Stories, Anton Chekhov
39. Vinternoveller, Ingvild H. Rishøi
40. The Passion According to G.H., Clarice Lispector
41. Wise Blood, Flannery O'Connor

41/40

Getting back on track, and surprisingly meeting the goal too. I won't bother setting a new reading goal, but I'll keep reading just to see where I end up by new year's eve. I also have to figure out some of the last challenges (and get to reading the challenges I've already planned ahead). The Biography category is open for suggestions, because the one I originally planned is a massive two-volume biography.

Not Art was ... well, it's hard to describe really. It kind of draws on the trend of blurring the line between reality and fiction. He draws a lot from his own life, and uses his dying mother to reflect on Hungary in the cold-war, musings about love and sexuality and football.

Faust on the other hand, was an incredibly nice read. The books is a series of letters sent from the Narrator to an old friend of his, all about unrequited love, where he falls in love with a friend's wife while reading Goethe's Faust to her. The overall thematic is also typically Russian as it's all about a dude trying to accept that he's getting older.

Vinternoveller (lit. translated Winter short stories) consists of three short stories, about different people pretty down on their luck. The first one is about a single mum who's broke having to buy a new pair of underpants to her daughter, the second is about a recent ex-con needing to get a pillow to his son, and the third is about three siblings running away to avoid the child welfare services. They all follow the same format, where in parallell to the story, the narrating character also reflects on their life, their choices and everything that lead up to the situation they're all in at the moment. Worth a read imo, if you can read Norwegian. Don't think there's any English translations of her work.

The Passion According to G.H. was hella interesting, too. All it took to spark an almost spiritual and existensial crisis was a dirty room and a cockroach.

I haven't actually finished Wise Blood yet, but I'm gonna read the remaining part of it before I go to sleep tonight, so I added it up nonetheless, since I'll finish it before October hits us.

ulvir fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 30, 2015

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

1. The Forge of God by Greg Bear
2. The Icarus Hunt by Timothy Zahn
3. Under a Graveyard Sky by John Ringo
4. To Sail a Darkling Sea by John Ringo
5. Islands of Rage and Hope by John Ringo
6. Strands of Sorrow by John Ringo
7. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling
8. Foundation by Isaac Asimov
9. Reach for Infinity edited by Jonathan Strahan
10. The Pride of Chanur by C.J. Cherryh
11. The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde
12. The Martian by Andy Weir
13. Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino
14. The Girl With All The Gifts by M.R. Carey
15. Assassin’s Apprentice by Robin Hobb
16. A Personal Matter by Kenzaburo Oe
17. Cibola Burn by James S.a. Corey
18. Atomic Accidents: A History of Nuclear Meltdowns and Disasters: From the Ozark Mountains to Fukushima by James Mahaffey
19. The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi
20. Dr. No by Ian Fleming
21. The End is Nigh edited by John Joseph Adams
22. The End is Now by John Joseph Adams
23. Monster Hunters International by Larry Correia
24. Escaping the Dead by W.J. Lundy
25. A Hanging by George Orwell
26. Revelation Space by Alistair Reynolds
27. The Spirit Thief(Eli Monpress #1) by Rachel Aaron
28. Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami
29. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
30. Beacon 23 Parts 1 and 2 by Hugh Howey
31. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo
32. Foundation and Empire by Isaac Asimov
33. Life, The Universe and Everything by Douglas Adams
34. The Spirit Rebellion (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #2) by Rachel Aaron
35. Beacon 23 parts 3,4, and 5 by Hugh Howey
36. The Remaining: Allegiance (The Remaining #5) by D.J. Molles
37. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
38. Shakespeare: The World as Stage by Bill Bryson
39. The Dead Lands by Benjamin Percy
40. Nemesis Games(The Expanse #5) by James S.A. Corey
41. The Warrior’s Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold
42. Black Sun Rising by C.S. Friedman
43. The Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickenson
44. The Remaining: Extinction by D.J. Molles

September update: Doing a bit better in the reading department.

First up was my choice of a banned(or at least challenged book), The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. I’ll make a confession, somehow I got through all of elementary, high-school and college with never reading Mark Twain. I can see why many consider this book to be the first great American novel. It gives a snapshot of America, particularly along the Mississippi in good detail. I thought the section with the con artists went on a little long but overall it was pretty good. I can also see why so many people object to the book. While I understand that the book is is anti-racist and was written in a time that the words were in common use, the amount of times the N-word is used it staggering.

Next is Shakespeare: The World as Stage. I had little knowledge of Shakespeare before starting this book, and apparently the world knows about him as well. I needed a biography and I’ve liked other books by the author so I picked this to read. I guess this is not a run of the mill biography, first we know little of Shakespeare from written accounts, even the picture we know as him, may not actually be him! So this book took almost more of a sketch of what he should have been like based on what we know of where he was and the social history of the time. I thought the first bits were really good along with some of the reasons why other scholars are wrong about what we know. One it gets to his popular times, I kind of glazed over a bit because it started analyzing what he may or may not have written, patterns in play, etc… It ended well talking about his death, what we can extrapolate from his will, what happened with his plays after he died and why we have so many of his plays(and why there are many different versions of the same plays). It was good, short and I learned quite a lot about someone and a time period I knew little of.

The Dead Lands was recommended several times here. I liked it while reading, but after some thought, I like it less. The good, post apocalyptic travel story(retelling of the Lewis and Clark expedition). It had action, was relatively fast paced, ended okay. The bad, I did not like the whole evolution with powers, magic, whatever you want to call it. It felt really shoehorned in and nearly every instance that the powers were used, there could have been a better non-power way to accomplish the same thing. Even in the acknowledgements the author mentions the clunky magic system, and that is really what it seemed like. I think it would have been better dropping that storyline, using the two missing rangers briefly mentioned as a hook to travel and expand a bit on the experience traveling a wild world.

Finally caught up to the most recent Expanse book, Nemesis Games. I liked #3, #4 was okay, but this one was great. I liked that the alien stuff was not front and center like in previous books. It was a plot point in the book but not much new information at all. It was nice to get some backstory and time away from Holden for Alex, Amos and Naomi. Even with their connections to now all three rulers of the major factions, I thought it still felt small scale. Each character had their own problems and were not solved by calling in a favor and everything is fixed. Looking forward to #6 sometime next year I guess.

The Warrior’s Apprentice. Just Great! Will read more very soon, but a few other books to get through first.

My wildcard was Black Sun Rising. It was okay, I felt like it could have been about 1/3 shorter and been a tighter, better story. I also had some issues with the basics of why these people went on this journey. The priest meets an “adept” who he falls in love with in a matter of days. Said adept loses her powers so he and others(for equally odd reasons) go off on a journey to restore her powers. Reminded me of the goon with the printer story. The reveal of who Tarrant was did not surprise me at all. Once they got to the Rahklands, I liked it better with them overcoming problems during their travels. The way they beat the big bad guy was just so so.

The Traitor Baru Cormorant was good. Got a little confusing in the second half of the book with all the names of different dukes and duchesses, but it was good overall.

Finished up The Remaining series with The Remaining: Extinction. It was pretty solid all around. Some gripes abut the last book though. The final book does not wrap everything up, just the story of the horde of creatures coming down from the north. Would have been nice to have more closure on the story of the western states and their “President” vs the abandoned eastern states. Also the epilogue was pretty cringeworthy. I know these kinds of books cater to more politically conservative people, but this series had gone a long way without blatant politics. Then the end bit about not supporting the “president” and supporting the idea of America did not really flow with the rest of the book. I would still recommend it for post-apocalyptic series, just stop at the epilogue in book 6.

Booklord Challenge
1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year. 44/52
2. Read a female author The Pride of Chanur
3. The non-white author A Personal Matter
4. Philosophy The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
5. History Atomic Accidents: A History of Nuclear Meltdowns and Disasters
6. An essay A Hanging
8. Something post-modern Invisible Cities
9. Something absurdist Life, The Universe and Everything
10. The Blind Owl (Free translation if your ok with reading on a screen or cant find a copy!)
11. Something on either hate or love Norwegian Wood
12. Something dealing with space Foundation
13. Something dealing with the unreal The Girl With All The Gifts
14. Wildcard (Some one else taking the challenge will tell you what to read)Black Sun Rising
15. Something published this year or the past three months The Water Knife
16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time Dr. No
17. A play The Importance of Being Earnest
18. Biography Shakespeare: The World as Stage
19. The color red The Martian
20. Something banned or censored The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
21. Short story(s) Reach for Infinity
22. A mystery Murder on the Orient Express

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

ulvir posted:

September update: Please suggest a biography to read, otherwise I'll land on something lulzy like Morrissey's autobiography or whatever

Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
I've reached the 3/4 mark in my reading (90/120) so I figured I should update to there.

#84: Ms. Marvel, vol. 2: Generation Why - G. Willow Wilson: The follow-up to Ms. Marvel vol. 1. Less focused on Kamila Khan's family life, more on her superheroics against villainy, etc. Still a good read. 4/5.

#85: The Memoirs of Hector Berlioz - Hector Berlioz (duh): The memoirs by the aforementioned 19th-century French composer. Details his love life, his music, his difficulties against the musical establishment at the time (especially with the Paris Opéra) and his travels (to Germany and Russia, in particular). I'm doing a paper on 19th-century opera at the moment, so the parts about music were fun to read. The writing style is very much what you'd expect from a 19th-century Frenchman (i.e. florid), and he spent a bit too much time talking about his romantic relationships for my taste, but if you're interested in the man and his music, it's worth a look. 3/5.

#86: The Anti-Christ Handbook: The Horror and Hilarity of Left Behind - Fred Clark: A book collating a series of blog posts reviewing in excessive detail the first 200 pages of the first book of the Left Behind series, written by an evangelical Christian. If you want to find out just how much Left Behind sucks without actually reading it, then it's relatively cheap on Amazon. A minor note: He mentions both Patrick and Teresa Nielsen Hayden during the book, which I found amusing due to recent science-fiction-related stupidity. 4/5.

#87: The Shambling Guide to New York City - Mur Lafferty: An urban fantasy book about a human who takes a publishing job in New York City with supernatural beings (e.g. vampires, zombies). Commence weird poo poo. Read if you like urban fantasy with good world building. 4/5.

#88: My Fathers' Ghost Is Climbing In The Rain - Patricio Pron: I decided to read this book because I was searching for something on the library website and it suggested this. It was OK - I read it in English, so I don't know if it would have been better in Spanish. 3/5.

#89: Native Tongue - Suzette Haden Elgin (RIP): Holy crap. If you want to read a book that will make you *angry*, read this. It's set in the future where misogynists took over the United States government and forced them to send women's rights back to the 19th-century (complete with quasi-scientific bullshit). The story details children and learning languages and communicating with aliens, but the attitudes of the male characters will make you want to punch people (or at least that's what I felt). BTW: if you read this and think that the behaviour of the men is unrealistic, just go read 'Escape' by Carolyn Jessop, which is about her life as a fundie Mormon. Some of the comparisons between this book and the FLDS are chillingly similar. 4/5.

#90: Black Hole - Charles Burns: A graphic novel, drawn in chiaroscuro style, set in the '70s about high school kids and STDs. I wasn't a huge fan of the book. Decent artwork, but the story wasn't terribly exciting to me. 3/5.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

September.

51. The Prefect. Alastair Reynolds. The story was great and even if some mysteries were obvious, they work fine.
52. Thud!. Terry Pratchett. The Watch is the best and this confirms it.
53. Burning Chrome. William Gibson. A good collection of short stories, some good, some great.
54. Thus Spake Zarathustra. Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche. Weirdly philosophical. I think I need a guide to understand some of the images, but everything was very interesting.
55. Timeline. Michael Crichton. Regular, I actually think the movie was a little bit better. The story has more hard science in the book, but some of the plot holes were pretty ridiculous.
56. Wintersmith. Terry Pratchett. Good, but kind of slow. The antagonist wasn't that good.
57. Muhammad: A Biography of the Prophet. Karen Armstrong. An excellent biography full of facts and opposing views of one of history's most famous prophets.

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year: 57/60
2. Read a female author: Jojo Moyes and others.
3. The non-white author: Khaled Hosseini and others.
4. Philosophy: Thus Spake Zarathustra, Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
5. History: Monsters and Demons, Charlotte Montague.
6. An essay: Unless It Moves the Human Heart: The Craft and Art of Writing, Roger Rosenblatt.
8. Something post-modern
9. Something absurdist
10. The Blind Owl (Free translation if your ok with reading on a screen or cant find a copy!)
11. Something on either hate or love: We Need to Talk About Kevin, Lionel Shriver.
12. Something dealing with space: Transition, Iain M. Banks.
13. Something dealing with the unreal: Los mentales, Pgarcía.
14. Wildcard (Some one else taking the challenge will tell you what to read) (Amberville by Tim Davys)
16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time: Harry Potter and the Magician's Stone,J.K. Rowling.
17. A play
18. Biography: Muhammad: A Biography of the Prophet
19. The color red: Red 1-2-3, John Katzenbach.
20. Something banned or censored: Burmese Days, George Orwell.
21. Short story(s): Burning Chrome, William Gibson.
22. A mystery: The Prefect. Alastair Reynolds.

Discworld challenge 35/41

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Only one reread this month, and knocked down a whole bunch of challenges.

Booklord Challenge Update posted:

1. 84/96 books read; 15 nonfiction (18%), 26 rereads (31%)
Completed: 2-6, 9-22
New:
9. Something Absurdist: Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
10. The Blind Owl: The Blind Owl by Sadeq Hedayat
14. Wildcard: Theft: A Love Story by Peter Carey
17. A Play: Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard
20. Something Banned or Censored: Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

76. Homes and Other Black Holes by Dave Barry (reread)

Found this while doing some cleaning and read it in passing -- it's quite short, and like all Barry goes by very quickly. Still funny, and especially relevant right now with my mom moving into a new house. I prefer his columns to his books in general, though.

77. The Dracula Tape by Fred Saberhagen

The frame story here is that Dracula -- having survived his supposed death at the end of the novel -- has tracked down the descendants of the Harkers in an attempt to tell his side of the story and set the record straight. This book does a pretty excellent job of showing how a lot of Dracula's actions in the original novel can be explained as genuine misunderstandings or mistakes (such as might be made, for example, by a centuries-old nobleman used to living in isolation trying to reintegrate into society), inflated by fear and superstition in the retelling, and portraying Van Helsing as a murderous lunatic, while at the same time showing Dracula himself as someone who, while thinking of himself as a genuinely good guy, can't quite bring himself to view ordinary humans as people rather than livestock or, at best, favoured pets.

Apparently he teams up with Sherlock Holmes in later books, which sounds just crazy enough to be awesome.

78. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

A black comedy about WW2 where everyone is insane. Funny, but gets increasingly dark towards the end. Reminded me a lot of Lem's Memoirs Found in a Bathtub, actually.

79. The Blind Owl by Sadeq Hedayat, tr. Iraj Bashiri

:sigh:

Taken at face value, as a novella about a destitute painter's opium-fuelled descent into madness, this is a difficult and not particularly rewarding read.

According to the commentary, it is actually a brilliantly constructed allegory for Buddhist philosophy and beliefs, but one that requires years of study of said philosophy, the author's history and reading habits, and the text itself in order to unravel. Since I do not have the time or the inclination for such a study, and my understanding of the work in light of this is based entirely on blind acceptance of Bashiri's analysis with no way of verifying or refuting it, it remains unrewarding.

80. The Martian by Andy Weir

I haven't read a proper castaway story in years. :neckbeard: As usual, you can see the hand of the author setting things up for the protagonist -- the potatoes here, the crates full of suspiciously useful supplies in The Swiss Family Robinson, and so forth -- but that doesn't detract from the fun. You've never in any doubt that he'll survive, but the enjoyment is in finding out how.

81. Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard

What do minor characters do when off stage? Have existential crises, apparently. It was funny, but I think I'd have gotten more out of it if I'd read or seen Hamlet recently -- I kept having to context switch to look up characters and plot points I'd forgotten.

82. Theft: A Love Story by Peter Carey.

It's not bad, it just completely failed to take or hold my interest at any point. It doesn't help that I don't like any of the characters.

83. Dangerous Trades by Thomas Oliver et al.

A book from 1904 about hazardous working conditions, especially occupational diseases (as opposed to hazards). Weird to think that as little as recently as a hundred years ago things like "should children spend all day in the factory, or should they spend half the day in school" were still being debated. This book is the result of contributions from many experts in their various fields, and in the preface Oliver notes that he has not imposed any editorial "voice" on the contributors, as the book is meant to be informative rather than opinionated -- but is also quite open about the fact that his personal opinion is that worker protections do not go nearly far enough.

Unfortunately, the copy I was reading is a very bad OCR. I had to read it "in software", consciously correcting mis-scanned words, which makes for a slow and unpleasant reading experience. I gave up when it started consistently rendering "if" as "\{".

83. Germline by T.C. McCarthy

You know, I think a lot of interesting stuff could be done with the idea of a "subterrene war" (as the trilogy is called). Strategic manouvers in three dimensions, limited by the speed of a boring machine and impossible to hide from seismometers. Cramped firefights that either side can retreat from with impunity by collapsing the tunnel. A surface patrolled by drones and automated defences that no human can escape. The constant psychological weight of never seeing the sky. This is the picture painted by the first few chapters.

Unfortunately, after that, McCarthy completely forgets about the original premise, everything moves on to the surface and what we get is boilerplate MilSF from its plasma artillery to its vat-grown supersoldiers. Meh.

84. Sled Driver: Piloting the World's Fastest Jet by Brian Shul

You won't find any details about the Blackbird's capabilities or specific missions in this book, but it does a good job of getting across what it felt like to fly it. Short, though. I think the main draw of the book is meant to be the pictures, which are amazing and take up about a third of the book. At some point I'd like to read something more detailed about the Blackbird's design and operational history, though.

Next up is Neal Asher's Owner trilogy, and by the time I'm done that Ancillary Mercy should hopefully be out and I can finally read those as well.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I decided to write up some of my book lord challenge picks, my reasons for choosing them and my thoughts etc. Here are the first two:

Autobiography of Red by Anne Carson

I came upon this accidentally; I was looking for poetry and had seen Carson’s name tossed around as a good modern poet. This was the first book that popped up in an Amazon search and it intrigued me immediately because of the color red challenge. It’s a verse novel, definitely something I wouldn’t normally seek out so perfect for the challenge.

The story is based loosely on the myth of Geryon, a red monster who Hercules kills in one of his trials. In the retelling, Geryon is a young boy who falls in love with an older boy named Herakles. The color red is used throughout symbolically, and the language is beautiful in general.

The Best of the Best American Poetry

A selection of poems to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Best American Poetry series. I had no idea where to start with poetry and the Best American series are generally pretty solid, so this seemed like an all around good primer on modern poetry. I enjoyed it a lot and made a list of about 20 poems I especially liked to check out other works by those poets. My favorite was A Happy Thought by Franz Wright:

quote:

Assuming this is the last day of my life
(which might mean it is almost the first),
I’m struck blind but my blindness is bright.

Prepare for what’s known here as death;
have no fear of that strange word forever.
Even I can see there’s nothing there

to be afraid of: having already been
to forever I’m unable to recall
anything that scared me there, or hurt—

what frightened me, apparently, and hurt
was being born. But I got over that
with no hard feelings. Dying, I imagine,

it will be the same deal, lonesomer maybe,
but surely no more shocking or prolonged—
it’s dark as I recall, then bright, so bright.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Also since I haven't done this yet, here is a Big rear end Stat Dump:

Thru September:

Personal Challenges
Woman authors - 16/12
non-American/European authos - 13/12
Nonfic - 13/12
Gravity's Rainbow - 0/1

Booklord Challenges
1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year. - I've read 57 but am kind of glossing this one
2. Read a female author - Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay
3. The non-white author - Black Boy by Richard Wright
4. Philosophy - Fear + Trembling by Soren Kierkegaard and Tractatus Logico Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (recced by CestMoi)
5. History
6. An essay
7. A collection of poetry - The Best of the Best American Poetry
8. Something post-modern - A Frolic of His Own by William Gaddis
9. Something absurdist - Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard
10. The Blind Owl
12. Something dealing with space - Packing for Mars by Mary Roach
13. Something dealing with the unreal - In the Realms of the Unreal: Insane Writings
14. Wildcard - Lillith's Brood trilogy by Octavia Butler (recced by Dienes)
15. Something published this year or the past three months - Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
17. A play - Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller (recced by Blind Sally)
18. Biography - Shakespeare by Bill Bryson
19. The color red - Autobiography of Red by Anne Carson
20. Something banned or censored - Operation Dark Heart by Anthony Shaffer
21. Short story(s) - Italian Folktales by Italo Calvino
22. A mystery

List of stuff read
1. The Secret History by Donna Tartt
2. Alif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson
3. Lilith's Brood by Octavia Butler
4. The Complete Stories by Flannery O'Connor
5. The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2014
6. The Sound of Waves by Yukio Mishima
7. This Perfect Day by Ira Levin
8. Big Breasts and Wide Hips by Mo Yan
9. Get in Trouble by Kelly Link
10. Beware of Pity by Stefan Zweig
11. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
12. Physics of the Future by Michio Kaku
13. Flash Boys by Michael Lewis
14. What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe
15. The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks
16. Mr. Palomar by Italo Calvino
17. The Blue Book by A.L. Kennedy
18. Bad Feminist Roxane Gay
19. Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer
20. We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen J. Fowler
21. Autobiography of Red by Anne Carson
22. Dictionary of the Khazars by Milorad Pavic
23. The Complete Stories by David Malouf
24. In Other Worlds: SF and the Human Imagination by Margaret Atwood
25. Black Boy by Richard Wright
26. The Stone Gods by Jeanette Winterson
27. Half a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
28. Shakespeare by Bill Bryson
29. A Frolic of His Own by William Gaddis
30. Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh
31. The Best American Short Stories 2013
32. The Cloven Viscount by Italo Calvino
33. Packing for Mars by Mary Roach
34. Ficciones by Jorge Luis Borges
35. Censoring an Iranian Love Story by Shahriar Mandanipour
36. The Sports Gene by David Epstein
37. The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton
38. Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
39. The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi
40. In the Realms of the Unreal: Insane Writings
41. The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan
42. The Best of the Best American Poetry
43. The Museum of Innocence by Orhan Pamuk
44. The Pickup by Nadine Gordimer
45. The Day the Leader was Killed by Naguib Mahfouz
46. Tibetan Book of the Dead
47. The Invisible Bridge: The Fall of Nixon and the Rise of Reagan by Rick Perlstein
48. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard
49. The Blind Owl by Sadegh Hedayat
50. Embassytown by China Mieville
51. Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller
52. The Sorrow of War by Bao Ninh
53. Hear the Wind Sing/Pinball 1973 by Haruki Murakami
54. Number9Dream by David Mitchell
55. Operation Dark Heart by Anthony Shaffer
56. Fear and Trembling by Søren Kierkegaard
57. Tractatus Logico Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

September - 8:

The Year of the Flood (Margaret Atwood)
MaddAddam (Margaret Atwood)
Sourcery (Terry Pratchett)
The House of the Spirits (Isabel Allende)
A Personal Matter (Kenzaburo Oe)
Wyrd Sisters (Terry Pratchett)
3 Novels (Cesar Aira)
American Rust (Philipp Meyer)

I did good this month. I neaaarly finished a book about Tamerlane as well but didn't quite manage it in September. Oh well.

The Year of the Flood and MaddAddam are the second and third books in the MaddAddam trilogy. I read Oryx & Crake about this time last year and then never got around to following it up, but I bought both recently and dived right in. I really liked Year of the Flood, which did really well at telling the other side of the story in Oryx & Crake and the non-Compound part of the world. MaddAddam a friend once described to me as "sort of unnecessary" and I can absolutely see her point, since the story told in O&C/Flood gets wrapped up in those two books and MaddAddam doesn't really advance it very much. It was fun and put a nice cap on the whole thing, though.

Sourcery and Wyrd Sisters were Discworld Novels and that's about all that needs to be said about them. I don't really like Sourcery that much but I want to read in order at least once in my life, so there you go. I don't think I'd read Wyrd Sisters before, or if I did it was so long ago I don't remember doing it. I liked it and it's firming up the style that Pratchett was known for.

The House of the Spirits was great. It reminded me a lot of Love in the Time of Cholera in terms of the richness of its style and the level of magical realism involved. The arc through Chilean politics of the late nineteenth century through to Pinochet is well described by the actions and views of the characters. I think the thing it does best is the way the story of the family is strongly character-driven, with individuals acting based on their own motivations, but at the same time those actions are swallowed up by forces beyond their control i.e. the larger narrative of the social and political change taking place in the country.

After reading Spirits A Personal Matter was a very different animal. Instead of the sweeping multi-generational saga, it's short and spare and very tightly focused on maybe three truly important characters, that is Bird, his mistress and his wife, with the spectre of the "monster baby" a constant, oppressive background force. It's my first encounter with Oe and if it's all as good as this I'm going to be seeking out a lot more.

3 Novels I picked up in a bookshop as the only remotely appealling thing on the shelf (seriously everything else looked terrible apart from some classics I wasn't really in the mood for). The three in question are Ghosts, An Episode in the Life of a Landscape Painter, and The Literary Conference. Of the three I liked "An Episode" best; frankly I don't think I really got either Ghosts or The Literary Conference. Maybe if I knew more about Argentina or the specific ideas Aira was trying to get across I would have understood them better, but as it stands but they both left me a little cold.

American Rust was a stunning book. Meyer is absolutely amazing at communicating a sense of a time and a place, and like with House of the Spirits the characters really drive things forwards instead of "plot happens, characters respond as necessary to advance to next set piece." The portrayal of the Valley as a place left to die by interests more powerful than the people who live there, and the same people's inability to escape the trap closing around them, is deeply poignant.

I'm long past the 40 I declared as a goal. I'm not going to add to it; instead I'm just going to carry on and see how far I get by the end of the year (and in any case I still have some of the booklord categories to finish - I've been trying to work up to reading some Shakespeare for the play, but I'm very tempted to read something classical instead).

Year to Date: 45

01. The Establishment: And how they get away with it (Owen Jones)
02. Mussolini and Fascist Italy (Martin Blinkhorn)
03. Love in the Time of Cholera (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
04. All You Need is Kill (Hiroshi Sakurazaka)
05. Theft: A Love Story (Peter Carey)
06. Stalin (Kevin McDermott)
07. Heart of Darkness (Joseph Conrad)
08. Revenge (Yoko Ogawa)
09. The Good Soldier Svejk and his Fortunes in the Great War (Jaroslav Hasek)
10. The Buried Giant (Kazuo Ishiguro)
11. after the quake (Haruki Murakami)
12. The Colour of Magic (Terry Pratchett)
13. The Light Fantastic (Terry Pratchett)
14. The Girls of Room 28: Friendship, Hope and Survival in Theresienstadt (Hannelore Brenner)
15. Equal Rites (Terry Pratchett)
16. Invisible Cities (Italo Calvino)
17. Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe 1944-1956 (Anne Applebaum)
18. Running with the Kenyans (Adharanand Finn)
19. Notes from Underground and The Double (Fyodor Dostoyevsky)
20. First Novel (Nicholas Royle)
21. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (Junot Diaz)
22. Mort (Terry Pratchett)
23. Schlump (Hans Herbert Grimm)
24. Concrete (Thomas Bernhard)
25. The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich (William L. Shirer)
26. The Last Kingdom (Bernard Cornwell)
27. The Pale Horseman (Bernard Cornwell)
28. Beauty and Sadness (Yasunari Kawabata)
29. The Blind Owl (Sadegh Hedayat)
30. The Lords of the North (Bernard Cornwell)
31. Sophie's World (Jostein Gaarder)
32. The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared (Jonas Jonasson)
33. Selected Poems (Edgar Allen Poe)
34. The Bookseller of Kabul (Asne Seierstad)
35. Long Walk to Freedom (Nelson Mandela)
36. We (Yevgeny Zamyatin)
37. The Bell Jar (Sylvia Plath)
38. The Year of the Flood (Margaret Atwood)
39. MaddAddam (Margaret Atwood)
40. Sourcery (Terry Pratchett)
41. The House of the Spirits (Isabel Allende)
42. A Personal Matter (Kenzaburo Oe)
43. Wyrd Sisters (Terry Pratchett)
44. 3 Novels (Cesar Aira)
45. American Rust (Philipp Meyer)

Booklord categories: 1 - 11, 13 - 15, 18 - 22.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

56. Fear and Trembling by Søren Kierkegaard
57. Tractatus Logico Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein

What did u think of these 2? I think I'm the one that recommended them at the start of this thread for philosophy and it's cool to read that people have picked them up, even if the one guy who read Fear and Trembling that I saw earlier seemed to sort of miss the point imo.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CestMoi posted:

What did u think of these 2? I think I'm the one that recommended them at the start of this thread for philosophy and it's cool to read that people have picked them up, even if the one guy who read Fear and Trembling that I saw earlier seemed to sort of miss the point imo.

Yeah I did get those recs from you! I credit you earlier in my post. I actually am only a bit into Tractatus Logico Philosophicus but finished Fear and Trembling last week.

Fear and Trembling was...rigorous. I probably didn't do it justice since I mostly read it on the bus which was not the most conducive place to digest Kierkegaard's language, so I found myself needing to reread stuff a few times to get an idea of the argument he was making. Even then a bunch probably went over my head, but I feel like I got the key points. Some parts that stuck out to me: I liked the hypothetical about a dude hearing a preacher telling the story of Abraham and going home and deciding to do the same since his son is his most precious possession, and then the preacher who didn't really understand the story himself would be horrified at the man's misunderstanding. I also liked the story of Agnes and the merman and how the merman feels guilt at her falling in love with him, and it causes a cycle of them being miserable (the whole third problema in general was easier to relate to than the first two). And how the problemas all ended with the line "if this is the case, Abraham is done for and faith doesn't exist". I've been reading some essays/the wiki article to get a better handle on some of the stuff I didn't get (like the suspension of the ethical and the Hegelian stuff) but I have since returned the book to the library.

I am taking my time with TLP so that I can get more out of it. It probably helps that it is 80 years closer to my own time. I am enjoying it so far tho and will write something more substantial once I am done. These are my first strict philosophy texts and I am glad I went for both, I will probably get Thus Spake Zarathustra at some point too.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

would In the Shadow of the Silent Majorities qualify as a philosophical text? Or is this strictly sociology.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Progress: 17 of 25 books

1. The Bone Clocks, David Mitchell. 5/5.
2. The Martian, Andy Weir. 2/5. Booklord Challenge 1 completed: Read a book about space.
3. The Blind Owl, Sadegh Hedayat. 0/5. Booklord Challenge 2 completed: Read this lovely book.
4. Atlas of Remote Islands - Fifty Islands I have Never Set Foot On and Never Will, Judith Schalansky. 5/5 Booklord Challenge 3 completed: Read a female author.
5. The Golem and The Djinni, Helene Wecker. 4/5 Booklord Challenge 4 completed: Read a book about the unreal.
6. The Magicians, Lev Grossman. 5/5
7. The Magician King, Lev Grossman. 5/5
8. The Magician's Land, Lev Grossman. 5/5
9. Wolf In White Van, John Darnielle. 5/5
10. The Water Knife, Paolo Bacigalupi. 3.5/5 Booklord Challenge 5 completed: Read a book published in the last three months to a year.
11. Anathem, Neal Stephenson. 4/5
12. The Woman In the Dunes, Kobo Abe. 4/5 Booklord Challenge 6 completed: Read a book written by a non-cracker.
13ish - Drabin In Love, from City of Saints and Madmen, Jeff Vandermeer. 1 out of 5 stars. Booklord Challenge 7 completed: Read a short story.
14. Station Eleven, by Emily St. John Mandel. 5 out of 5 stars.
15. Broken Monsters, Lauren Beukes. 4 out of 5 stars.
16. The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History, Elizabeth Kolbert. 3 out of 5 stars/ Booklord Challenge 8 completed: Read a book about hate.

Came across another dud that was a real downer - Baba Yaga, by Toby Barlow. I loved his debut, the longform prose poem Sharp Teeth. Baba Yaga is his attempt at a first standard novel, and it just didn't do anything for me. In fact the beginning at least came off like a mediocre The Master and Magarita set in Paris. Then on to...

17. Walking On Glass, Iain Banks. Very slow build-up to a strange, almost over-the-top ending. You read seeds of other books here, particularly Player of Games. Interesting to see Banks' development in this pre-sci fi stage. Probably wouldn't recommend this to anyone but Banks completionists though. Not bad, but not terribly good either. 3.5 out of 5 stars. Booklord Challenge 9 complete: Read a book about love. (Albeit a really depressing take on that, to be sure. Poor Graham.)

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Oh yeah, reading Dawn now by Octavia Butler and it's pretty good, nerds.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

1: Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson
2: Irrationality by Stuart Sutherland
3: I think you'll find it's a little bit more complicated than that by Ben Goldacre
4: Testing Treatments, second edition, by Imogen Evans, Hazel Thornton, Iain Chalmers and Paul Glasziou
5: London Falling by Paul Cornell
6: The Shattered Streets by Paul Cornell
7: Neverwhere (Author's Preferred Text) by Neil Gaiman
8: Symbiont by Mira Grant
9: Pact by Wildbow/J C McCrae
10: The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas, Pere
11: Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart
12: Story of the Stone by Barry Hughart
13: Eight Skilled Gentlemen by Barry Hughart
14: Academic Exercises by K J Parker
15: Brayan's Gold by Peter V Brett
16: The Skull Throne by Peter V Brett
17: Perfect State by Brandon Sanderson
18: Sixth of the Dusk by Brandon Sanderson
19: Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell by Brandon Sanderson
20: Mitosis by Brandon Sanderson
21: A Slip of the Keyboard by Terry Pratchett
22: A Blink of the Screen by Terry Pratchett
23: When to Rob a Bank by Levitt & Dubner
24: Jacaranda by Cherie Priest
25: Thinking About It Only Makes It Worse by David Mitchell
26: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
27: Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
28: Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
29: Hard Times in Dragon City by Matt Forbeck
30: Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia
31: A Stranger to Command by Sherwood Smith
32: Neptune's Brood by Charles Stross
33: The Emperor's Blades by Brian Stavely
34: Glamour of the God-Touched by Ron Collins
35: Hairy London by Stephen Palmer
36: Facade by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
37: Recovering Apollo 8 by Kristine Katherine Rusch
38: The Diving Bundle by Kristine Katherine Rusch
39: Playing for Keeps by Mur Lafferty
40: Strong Arm Tactics by Jody Lynn Nye
41: Supervillainous by Mike Leon
42: Stars: the anthology by Janis Ian and Mike Resnick (Eds)
43: Strike! Hero from the Sky by Charlie Woods
44: Crossfire by Nancy Kress
45: Reluctant Genius: The Passionate Life and Inventive Mind of Alexander Graham Bell by Charlotte Gray
46: Night Watch by Terry Pratchett
47: Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett
48: A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett
49: Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett
It's difficult to summarise Reluctant Genius for me. It was long and in-depth, well-told and well-researched. It was a little measured in pace, perhaps, but it got into the details of the life of a man who did more than many, and was astoundingly ahead of his time. He was more than just the phone guy; among other things he built one of the first planes, pioneered tetrahedral frame construction, is among the first recorded with concerns over both global warming and non-renewable fuels, invented the principle behind fibre optic technology, and made massive advances in the development of hydrofoils, all whilst remaining apparently amazingly humble and driven much more by the pursuit of knowledge than by money. And all whilst speaking many languages including numerous varieties of sign and deaf-blind manual languages. Really an astonishing man, and the book was very good too.

I'm moving on to my long-awaited Pratchett retrospective (it took me a while to pick up my books from my parents') with Night Watch.

E: finished it (I started it a few days ago so)

Night Watch was hard for me. It's the first full-length Pratchett novel I've read since his death, and IMO his best single novel across his entire writing history. It's a fine bit of writing, a fine bit of parody, satire and pastiche, and Vimes is such a human character in it, stripped of his titles and shinies, but retaining all of his nous and skill. There are a few really emotional moments that tugged my heartstrings as well. I was sad reading it, but glad to have read it.

I'm moving on to the Tiffany Aching books. Some are rereads, some are new, but it's been a long wile since I read the first ones so I want to remind myself of them first.

E: Finished Wee Free Men. It was as enjoyable as I remembered it, but also I found as with many YA novels that the protagonist felt a LOT older than she was put about as. The voice I was reading really didn't feel like the voice of an eight year old.

I continue to like the Tiffany Aching books, but this has been a hard set of rereads, especially as I've gotten further into the series and hit books I've not yet read. It hurts, knowing this is the last time I'll laugh at a Discworld novel for the first time :smith: A Hat Full of Sky was pretty good, but I wasn't 100% set on the Hiver as a villain, and Wintersmith was a nice coming-of-summer myth story, but I can't help but feel overall that Tiffany is just a tiny bit too competent and too world-beatingly powerful. Things go badly for her, sure, but the things she's taken down are... pretty high powered.

I really love the Feegles though. Especially when they do things like nut Death.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 16, 2015

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
Lots of things got in the way of reading - I lost the book I was reading, I decided to read some really, really boring political books by some chap by the name of Milliband and life. Two books off the pile are

Golden Notebook, Doris Lessing. Life as a woman, c. 1960, as well as documenting communism, practical psychoanalysis and colonialism. I loved this book so much.
Count Zero, William Gibson. This was on my kindle and I fancied something a bit light. I vaguely remember liking Gibson 20 years ago. How did I not realise that he is terrible? lovely characterisation, cliche as brand, and weirdly nostalgic rather than futuristic.

Inherent Vice next.

1. 9 Books.
Wind up bird chronicle, Murukami
Brothers Karamazov, Dostoyevsky
Mindset: how you can fulfil your potential, Carol Dweck
Book of Strange New Things, Michael Faber
Chavs, Owen Jones
Skills-based Learning for Caring for a Loved One with an Eating Disorder: The New Maudsley Method, Treasure, Smith, Crane
Blind Assassin, Margaret Atwood
Golden Notebook, Doris Lessing
Count Zero, William Gibson
2. Female author - Dweck, Treasure et al., Atwood

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

3: I think you'll find it's a little bit more complicated than that by Ben Goldacre
4: Testing Treatments, second edition, by Imogen Evans, Hazel Thornton, Iain Chalmers and Paul Glasziou
45: Reluctant Genius: The Passionate Life and Inventive Mind of Alexander Graham Bell by Charlotte Gray
50: I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett
I can really motor on Pratchett. I've read his work so much I practically know how it'll go before I read it, and the Tiffany Aching books are shorter than his usual fare. I Shall Wear Midnight was certainly enjoyable, and it had a lot of high points, but I can;t help but feel it felt a little rushed - not surprising in the circumstances, but such a shame. There were just the occasional obvious copy-editing issues, and some slightly odd character moments in places. Good, but not his best. Again, not surprising.

The Shepherd's Crown is next, then I'll probably read some non-Pratchett stuff for a while. It's good so far, but it's tough going for entirely non-plot reasons.

Fedelm
Apr 21, 2013

It's called Ursa Major, not Ursula Merger. And that's not even it. That's Orion.
I thought I would have a lot of downtime this year, but I was wrong. I don't think I'm going to reach my 25 books for the year, but I want to see how many challenges I can meet regardless. Currently working on some Banana Yoshimoto because her name is repeatedly mentioned in TBB.

These fit into various Booklord categories so I will sort them out in the end of the year. May I also have a wildcard?

Fedelm posted:

1. Riders to the Sea and In the Shadow the Glen - J.M. Synge.

2. Shipping out and The Depressed Person - David Foster Wallace.

3. Homo Faber - Max Frisch.

4. Two or Three Things I Forgot to Tell You - Joyce Carol Oates.

5. An Irish literature reader - edited by Maureen O'Rourke Murphy. A sampling of everything. Probably the best bit was a poem a medieval monk wrote about his beloved cat.

6. The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. I thought I read this before but I must have been too young or didn't know much English or something, wow did it fly over my head as a child. Now I feel like too much of a grown-up.

7. The Death of Ivan Ilyich and other stories - Leo Tolstoy. I'm lucky this book came across my desk. Very intelligent stories about social class in nineteenth century Russia. (The other stories are The Two Old Men, How Much Land Does a Man Need?, The Forged Coupon, Master and Workman, and Alyosha Pot). I think it's the only solid 5/5 for this year so far. (Translation by Nicolas Pasternak Slater)

8. Quicksand - Nella Larsen's first novel about race, this is one about a young woman in the 1920s who had a white mother and black father and due largely to this keeps rejecting or being rejected in every community in which she tries to find a place.

9. Passing - Larsen's next, about African American women who can "pass" for white in various situations. Weirdly amusing when a woman who passes only occasionally, for example so she can get into in an upscale hotel restaurant on a hot day, is shocked when she comes across another person who passes as a way of life. These two novels help drive home the absurdity of racism but also made clear how little I know about it.

10. I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream - by Harlan Ellison. I read this short story because of TV tropes. Yikes!

11. The Book of Margery Kempe: I wanted to read a medieval primary source, and the story The Two Old Men by Leo Tolstoy got me interested in reading about some real-life pilgrimages. This book delivered. It was sort of fun trying to figure out if Margery was just crazy but it was more fun taking her seriously. Also, reading about a woman finding solace from dealing with persistent difficult emotions was sort of what I needed at the time. Working on a Goodreads review for this crazy book. (Translation by Anthony Bale)

Fedelm fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 19, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I read Peace On Earth by Stanislaw Lem and The One-Hundred Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out A Window And Disappeared. Both real good. I'll write more up about them in a bit, but I've been super busy and almost forgot I read them.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

50: I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett
51: The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett
52: Firefight by Brandon Sanderson
53: Thud! by Terry Pratchett

I finished The Shepherd's Crown.

Yeah, so, that happened. I've read Terry Pratchett's last book.

I'm not quite sure what to say, so I'll write from the heart. I... feel lighter because of it. Somehow. Pratchett has been part of my life since more or less as soon as I could read, and I've read more of his words than any other person's. By quite some margin. I've had my ups and my downs with him, I've been entertained and educated in equal measure. And I think I'd echo Brandon Sanderson's eulogy to him shortly after his death - I don't think there's a current author as important as him. His work will go down in history as a shining example of modern satire. I'll be disappointed if children in 100 years aren't reading Pratchett at school.

And you could feel the ending there; Granny's story really felt like Pratchett's own, and looking back you can see Granny as the closest thing to a self-insert he had, I think, though he was a good enough writer not to need that crutch.

I'll miss him. It feels like a friend has gone, and reading the last of his work has been a chance to finish the journey I've been on with him. I miss the books he'll never write, I miss the autobiography I would have dearly loved to read. I already miss seeing a new hardcover on the shelves.

The Shepherd's Crown was a fitting sendoff, in all respects, I think. You can see a new age of stories unfolding in front of Tiffany as the goblins ride the rails, the clacks keeps men's names alive after they're gone, men become witches, women become wizards, golems solve crimes, and goats become ambassadors. It's just a tremendous shame no-one will write them.

:smith:

(so sue me, I'm crossposting my review on this one.)
E: Firefight is one I've been meaning to read for a good while. It was pretty decent, I like the end that's being built to, but I can't help but feel like the plot is fairly similar to Worm, but it suffers for being a bit too tame. And oh, god, the fake swears. They're normally not so bad, and I can see Calamity being a genuine swearword in the situation, but 'sparks' and 'slontze' just stick out like sore thumbs. You're talking about a team of people who go around assassinating superheros, but they don't swear like normal people? Come on, Brandon. I know it's supposed to be YA, but it really doesn't feel that way in terms of content, but they still don't swear? Arg. I enjoyed the culmination of it, but overall, I just found it a little... light?

E: again: Thud was much as I remembered it - good, but a little heavy-handed with its satire via the deep-downer Dwarf religious extremists. I enjoy the plot, I enjoy Mr Shine (Him Diamond) but the Dwarfs were a bit too transparently jihadist analogues (something which continued in later books) for my taste. Solid but not the best of Pratchett.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 25, 2015

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

October update. And the month was kicked off with the most season-appropriate book

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year. - 49/40
2. Read a female author - Gabriela Mistral, Ingvild Rishøi, Clarice Lispector, Flannery O'Connor
3. The non-white author - Ta-Nehisi Coates
4. Philosophy -
5. History -
6. An essay -
7. A collection of poetry - A collection of Poems by Gabriela Mistral (includes poems from Desolación, Ternura, Tala, Lagar and Poema de Chile), The Collected Poems of Alberto Caeiro by Fernando Pessoa, Selected Poems by Percy Bysshe Shelley
8. Something post-modern - Inherent Vice by Pynchon.
9. Something absurdist - Waiting for Godot
10. The Blind Owl (Free translation if your ok with reading on a screen or cant find a copy!) I read this last year
11. Something on either hate or love - Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez
12. Something dealing with space - The Cyberiad by Stanislaw Lem
13. Something dealing with the unreal - Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino
14. Wildcard (Some one else taking the challenge will tell you what to read) - The Cyberiad by Stanislaw Lem
16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time - Feast of the Goat by Mario Vargas Llosa
17. A play - Waiting for Godot
18. Biography - On Overgrown Paths by Knut Hamsun
19. The color red The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
20. Something banned or censored - Woodcutters by Thomas Bernhard
21. Short story(s) - The Russian Master and Other Stories by Anton Chekhov, Vinternoveller by Ingvild H. Rishøi
22. A mystery - Arguably The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum, I'll see if I cannot get something else too just to make sure I didn't cheat this.

1. Hear the Wind Sing, Haruki Murakami
2. Pinball 1974, Haruki Murakami
3. On The Beach, Neil Shute
4. Collected Poems by Per Sivle
5. History of the Siege of Lisbon, José Saramago
6. Wayfarers, Knut Hamsun
7. The Seed, Tarjei Vesaas
8. Morning and Evening, Jon Fosse
9. The Collected Poems of Alberto Caeiro, Fernando Pessoa
10. Doktor Faustus, Thomas Mann
11. Collection of poems, Gabriela Mistral
12. Doctor Glas, Hjalmar Söderberg
13. Love in the Time of Cholera, Gabriel García Márquez
14. Invisible Cities, Italo Calvino
15. Inherent Vice, Thomas Pynchon
16. Road to the Worl'd End, Sigurd Hoel
17. The Cyberiad, Stanislaw Lem
18. Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad
19. The Clown, Heinrich Böll
20. The Death of Ivan Ilyich, Lev Tolstoy
21. Fathers and Sons, Ivan Turgenev
22. A Theatrical Novel, Mikhail Bulgakov
23. Sleepless, Jon Fosse
24. Woodcutters, Thomas Bernhard
25. Confusion of Feelings, Stefan Zweig
26. The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum, Heinrich Böll
27. The Elephant's Jurney, José Saramago
28. Shyness and Dignity, Dag Solstad
29. Krysantemum, Rune Christiansen
30. The Feast of the Goat, Mario Vargas Llosa
31. Between the World and Me, Ta-Nehisi Coates
32. The Comfort of Strangers, Ian McEwan
33. The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera
34. Homo Faber, Max Frisch
35. Not Art, Péter Esterházy
36. Faust, Ivan Turgenev
37. Selected Poems, Percy Bysshe Shelley
38. The Russian Master and Other Stories, Anton Chekhov
39. Vinternoveller, Ingvild H. Rishøi
40. The Passion According to G.H., Clarice Lispector
41. Wise Blood, Flannery O'Connor
42. Om høsten, Karl Ove Knausgård
43. Three Women, Sylvia Plath
44. Furuset, Linn Strømsborg
45. Thomas F's Last Notes to the Public, Kjell Askildsen
46. Rue des Boutiques obscures, Patrick Modiano
47. Herztier, Herta Müller
48. On Overgrown Paths, Knut Hamsun
49. Waiting for Godot, Samuel Beckett

49/40

A really mixed bag this month, with a heavy bias towards literature from my own place of birth.

Om høsten, lit. translated to In the Autumn or just Autumn or something, is the first in a new serial project by renowned the author Knausgård. There's gonna be one book per season, and the next one, Om vinteren (Winter), will be out within the next couple of weeks or so. The premise for these books is that he's writing a letter to his unborn daughter, and wanted to write about something in the material world. So he made a list of around 400 or so names of things, and tried to write something about all of them (not unlike part of Georges Perec's approach in Life a User's Manual (which I'm halfway through now)). What he writes about are the most mundane things around us, like tin cans, plastic bags, or the concept of pissing. He even has a chapter dedicated to the humble Labia majora. Even if he tries to look outward, the book still tends to get inside Knausgård's own life, as he often draws from his own memories and experiences with the different things he writes about. And in some cases he even draws upon philosophy and literary science. There's a chapter called Expreicenes where he starts to reflect on his own understanding of Heidegger, and in one of the "Letters to an unborn child" chapters, he even reflects on the definitions of poetry and what it's about. Definitely worth a read if/when it gets translated. And if you can read Norweigan, why aren't you already hauling rear end towards the book store?

Three Women. I assume this one doesn't need an introduction, since most of you are yanks. I really liked the way the different voices appeared in the poems, and you just kind of slowly realise what these birthing women were going through, physically and mentally, and how their experiences differed.

Furuset is named after a neighbourhood/borough in Oslo, and where most of it takes place. I read this one after someone suggested it, when I asked for contemporary Norwegian novels by female authors. I didn't really have a clue what I was going into, other than the summary which mentioned it was about a woman who had just finished her masters degree, and was struggling with the uncertainty of what to do next. It quickly became apparent that this was a YA novel though, both in style and conten, which really disappointed me. She gets back in touch with her childhood friends, and ofcourse they start hanging out in their old favourite spot from when they were 13. And ofcourse you get these heartfelt, clichéd platitudes about how friends "stick together god drat it!". And ofcourse everything turns out fine in the end, and ofcourse that one kid she starts talking to while working in the movie rental shop is in the gang that's creating mayhem in the parking lots, which she ofcourse manages to talk him out of just by acting like a archetype big sister. It's probably a good book if all you read is John Green or whatever, but I disliked this intensely. A "Verwirrung der Gefühle" or "Ansichten eines Clowns" this is not.

Thomas F's Last Notes to the Public is a collection of two short stories. The first one is about a man who starts questioning not only his identity, but his very existence, when a policeman asks him a few questions regarding his investigation of a sexual assault. I won't go into any greater detail than that, because it would probably spoil some of the fun in reading it. The second short story, and the one the title of the book is about, is about a very old man who feels more and more distant and enstranged by society as his age starts catching up with him. It kind of reminded me of The Death of Ivan Illyich in some ways, at least with how the protagonist acts and thinks.

Rue des Boutiques obscures (or Missing Person) is an interesting twist on the detective genre. Instead of trying to peice together a murder and who the real suspect is, it's about a bloke who had amnesia 10 or 20 years before the novel takes place. He worked as a private investigator, and when the agency he works for is about to close down due to retirement, he goes on to try to figure out who he, himself is. The first half of the book is really interesting, and probably even the strongest part, where interviews with different people raises various red herrings and dead-ends which becomes apparent after the story goes on.

Herztier (or The Land of Green Plums) is set under the Ceauşescu regime in cold-war Romania. It follows a group of German-Romanian friends under the totalitarian regime, but the characterization is neither the point nor the strength of the novel. I believe it was more about coping with the oppression and constant surveilance. The novel conveys this by blurring the lines between reality and dreams/fantasies. Very often it shifts between a typically narrative paragraph with longer poetic, almost stream-of-conciousness-like passages. It was quite good indeed.

On Overgrown Paths, Knut Hamsun's autobiographical and final work, consists of a series of thoughts and dated letters as he awaits his trial for treason right after the war. It's written very much like his regular fiction, but with a more deliberate and direct tone. One thing that's very noticeably absent, and for which it's been criticised, is that he doesn't really reflect too much over his sympathies with Nazi-Germany, other than very adamantly trying to press the point that it was a concious decision, and that he's not insane nor demented. It also includes a letter he sent to the chief of police, and an excerpt from his trial documents. It might not be his best work by any means, but I'd say it's just as important, as it at least gives you a bit of an insight, albeit a deliberately vague one, into who he was.

ulvir fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 31, 2015

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
PREVIOUSLY ON MAHLERCOCK'S READING CHALLENGE:

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

1. The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (reread)
2. The Rise of the Warrior Cop by Radley Balko
3. Unlocked: An Oral History of Haden's Syndrome by John Scalzi
4. The Dog Stars by Peter Heller
5. The Disaster Artist by Greg Sestero
6. The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss
7. Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer
8. The Martian by Andy Weir
9. Falstaff by Robert Nye
10. A Boy and his Dog by Harlan Ellison
11. Fiction Ruined My Family by Jeanne Darst
12. One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories by B.J. Novak
13. The Blind Owl by Sadegh Hedayat
14. Half the World by Joe Abercrombie
15. Legion: Skin Deep by Brandon Sanderson
16. The Gods Will Have Blood by Anatole France
17. Agent to the Stars by John Scalzi
18. The Machine Stops by E.M. Forster
19. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
20. All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy
21. Inventing Human Rights: A History by Lynn Hunt
22. Theodore Rex by Edmund Morris
23. The Meaning of It All: Thoughts of a Citizen-Scientist by Richard Feynman
24. The Human Division by John Scalzi
25. Zoe's Tale by John Scalzi
26. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick

TODAY ON THE SHOW:

quote:

27. The Android's Dream by John Scalzi
28. The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X, as told to Alex Haley
29. The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
30. The End of All Things

The Android's Dream, like Agent to the Stars earlier this year (man I read a lot of Scalzi), was fun but fluffy, though it did have more of the ethical dilemmas that mark a lot of Scalzi's other work.

Malcolm X was a hell of an interesting read for the historical perspective, and he is definitely super articulate and intelligent in many ways, but I was mostly shocked at his persistent anti-Semitism and misogyny. Also, the Nation of Islam is kiiinda insane, so it was a relief when he moved from it to "normal" Islam, though he stayed adamant about his stance on Jewish people. I wonder if that could have changed too, had he not been murdered. Guess we'll never know.

The Name of the Rose was loving fantastic. It took me a little bit to get into because it's super dense and the style is pretty particular, but I loved all the digressions about philosophy, theology, and logic (which weren't really digressions since all of those are central, both to the themes and plot). William of Baskerville is one of the best characters I've encountered in a book recently.

Finally, cross-posted from the "what did you just finish" thread: I loved The End of All Things. I really appreciate how far the series has moved since Old Man's War - neverending war, particularly under a fascist regime like the CU/CDF (I enjoyed Powell's call-out of the CD's fascism immensely, particularly since up until that point it had simply been an assumed background element of the setting that even the characters took for granted) is unsustainable, thus the ever-increasing emphasis on diplomacy and cooperation (however reluctant) with previous/traditional enemies. Also, that the various actors only act rationally to a certain extent makes the conflicts that much more believable. On one hand, humanity as a whole doesn't want to get wiped out and will do whatever it takes to avoid that conclusion. On the other, the CU has been disingenuous and bellicose for so long that it barely even knows how to navigate conflicts without resorting to military duplicity.[/spoiler] Similar faults are just as clear on the Conclave's part. In short, Scalzi is great at subtly getting into difficult problems of state, existence, and survival while still writing what boils down to a fast-paced space opera.

A VERY SPECIAL BOOKLORD CHALLENGE:

quote:

1. The vanilla read a set number of books (45) in a year - 30 so far! Hella behind schedule but whatever!
2. Read a female author - Jeanne Darst
3. The non-white author - The Autobiography of Malcolm X
4. Philosophy - The Name of the Rose (I considered counting it as a mystery, which it obviously is, but the philosophical aspects far, far outweighed the murder mystery story)
5. History - Inventing Human Rights
6. An essay
8. Something post-modern
9. Something absurdist
10. The Blind Owl - Done!
11. Something on either hate or love - Frankenstein
12. Something dealing with space - The Human Division
13. Something dealing with the unreal - Annihilation
14. Wildcard - Falstaff
15. Something published this year or the past three months - Half the World
17. A play
18. Biography - Theodore Rex
19. The color red - The Martian (it's the Red Planet!)
21. A short story - A Boy and his Dog
22. A mystery

COMING UP NEXT:

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers (one of the best book titles I've ever seen and the book stands up to it as of the halfway mark) and Stelle di Cannella by Helga Schneider(Italian book set in a little German town shortly before WWII - my Italian is halfway-decent if I'm being generous, but since this is written for middle-school-ish age readers it's going pretty well anyway)!

Prolonged Shame
Sep 5, 2004

Prolonged Shame posted:

1) The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory
2) Akira Vol. 3 - Katsuhiro Otomo
3) Steel Magnolias - Robert Harling
4) The Four Feathers - A.E.W. Mason
5) Giant's Bread - Mary Westmacott (AKA Agatha Christie)
6) A Good Marriage - Stephen King
7) Eiger Dreams: Ventures Among Men and Mountains - Jon Krakauer
8) In the Heart of the Sea: the Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex - Nathaniel Philbrick
9) Foundation - Isaac Asimov
10) The Best of Edward Abbey - Edward Abbey
11) A Spy Among Friends: Kim Philby and the Great Betrayal - Robert Macintyre
12) Perfume: The Story of a Murderer - Patrick Süskind
13) Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn #1) - Brandon Sanderson
14) The Giver - Lois Lowry
15) Lost in the City - Edward P. Jones
16) The Blithedale Romance - Nathaniel Hawthorne
17) Akira Vol. 4 - Katsuhiro Otomo
18) The Art of War - Sun Tzu
19) William Howard Taft: The Travails of a Progressive Conservative - Jonathan Lurie
20) The Maltese Falcon - Dashiell Hammet
21) Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass - Frederick Douglass
22) Spring Snow - Yukio Mishima
23) The Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham
24) The Arabian Nights: Tales From a Thousand and One Nights - Anonymous
25) Arabella - Georgette Heyer
26) Woodrow Wilson: World Statesman - Kendrick A. Clements[
27) The Blind Owl - Sadegh Hedayat
28) Worm - Wildbow
29) The Rosetta Key - William Deitrich
30) Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
31) The Ohio Gang: The World of Warren G. Harding - Charles L. Mee
32) Shadow Scale - Rachel Hartman
33) The Well of Ascension (Mistborn #2) - Brandon Sanderson
34) A Royal Experiment: The Private Life of King George III - Janice Hadlow
35) Calvin Coolidge - David Greenberg[
36) Savage Summit: The True Stories of the First Five Women Who Climbed K2, the Worlds Most Feared Mountain - Jennifer Jordan
37) White Teeth - Zadie Smith
38) I Come From the Stone Age - Heinrich Harrer
39) Akira Vol.5 - Katsuhiro Otomo
40) An American Tragedy - Theodore Dreiser
41) Throne of Jade - Naomi Novik
42) The Hero of Ages (Mistborn #3) - Brandon Sanderson
43) Unfinished Portrait - Agatha Christie writing as Mary Westmacott
44) French Lessons: Adventures With Knife, Fork, and Corkscrew - Peter Mayle
45) Akira Vol. 6 - Katsuhiro Otomo
46) Herbert Hoover - William E. Leuchtenburg
47) The Enchanted April - Elizabeth Von Armin
48) Paris - Edward Rutherfurd
49) Shelley: Poems - Percy Bysshe Shelley
50) The Boleyn Inheritance - Philippa Gregory
51) Cod: A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World - Mark Kurlansky
52) Big Little Lies - Liane Moriarty
53) Black Hawk Down - Mark Bowden
54) FDR - Jean Edward Smith
55) The Running Man - Stephen King
56) Orange is the New Black - Piper Kerman
57) A Brief History of Seven Killings - Marlon James
58) The Mists of Avalon - Marion Zimmer Bradley
59) Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail - Cheryl Strayed
60) Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse #1) - Charlaine Harris
61) The Rose and the Yew Tree - Mary Westmacott (AKA Agatha Christie)
62) Black Powder War (Temeraire #3) - Naomi Novik
63) Foucault's Pendulum - Umberto Eco
64) Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania - Erik Larson
65) The Queen's Fool - Philippa Gregory
66) Truman - David McCullough
67) 41 Stories - O. Henry
68) If on a Winter's Night a Traveler - Italo Calvino
69) Eisenhower in War and Peace - Jean Edward Smith
70) The Circus Fire: A True Story of an American Tragedy - Stewart O'Nan
71) Russka: The novel of Russia - Edward Rutherford
72) Pale Fire - Vladimir Nabokov
73) Just Kids - Patti Smith
74) A Daughter's a Daughter - Mary Westmacott (AKA Agatha Christie)
75) Dark Rooms - Lili Anolik
76) Unbroken: A World War II Story of survival, Resilience, and Redemption - Laura Hillenbrand
78) Fairyland: A Memoir of my Father - Alysia Abbott
79) An Unfinished Life: John F. Kennedy 1917-1963 - Robert Dallek
80) Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse #2) - Charlaine Harris

October:

81) The Virgin's Lover - Philippa Gregory: I don't know why I keep reading these as they are getting progressively worse.
82) Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse #3) - Charlaine Harris: These, on the other hand, I am still enjoying immensely.
83) Lyndon B. Johnson: Portrait of a President - Robert Dallek: I opted to read the condensed 1 volume bio of LBJ rather than the multivolume set the author wrote, and I made the right decision. This wasn't bad, but it suffered from the same problems as his Kennedy bio, mainly that as soon as LBJ becomes president, the book becomes a list of his public accomplishments/failures rather than a portrait of the man himself. I may as well have read his Wikipedia entry.
84) The Black Moth - Georgette Heyer: This seems pretty cliched for it's genre, but it's pretty good considering the author was 17 when she wrote it in 1921. Parts of it were funnier than I expected.
85) Sharp Objects - Gillian Flynn: Awful, awful, awful. I picked this up to see what all the Gillian Flynn hype was about. I still don't know, because this was terrible. Loathsome characters, a weak plot with a stupid ending, and terrible, cringe-worthy writing. Avoid.
86) Hell House - Richard Matheson: A good Halloween read. Very good and extremely creepy, though a little bit dated.
87) Empire of Ivory (Temeraire #4) - Naomi Novik: This one picked up a bit from the last couple. It was both an enjoyable self-contained story and an advancement of the overarching plot, so that was nice.
88) My Life in France - Julia Child: I picked this up on a whim and loved it. You get a great sense of her and her husband's personalities, and they seem like fun people to be around. She's also a good, evocative writer. Highly recommended.
89) The Crucible - Arthur Miller: A play about the Salem witch trials. This was a little difficult to get into at first, but the last scene was gut-wrenching. As is usually the case with plays, it is probably better when performed than when read.
90) A Little Princess - Frances Hodgson Burnett: I loved 'The Secret Garden' as a child and thought I would love this one as well, but it never quite got me. I don't know if I'm just too old for it, but the main character was annoyingly perfect and not overly sympathetic. It is also definitely dated in it's treatment of non-white characters ("orientals")
91) The Sunne in Splendour - Sharon Kay Penman: Historical fiction detailing the life of Richard III from his childhood to his death. Fantastic. Probably the best book I read this month.

Total: 91/100
Presidential bios: 10/12
Non Fiction barring prez bios: 20/25

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Update through October.

Previously:

1. Menneskefluene by Hans Olav Lahlum.
2. Teckla by Steven Brust.
3. Ultima by Stephen Baxter.
4. Satellittmenneskene by Hans Olav Lahlum.
5. REAMDE by Neal Stephenson.
6. Atlas of Remote Islands by Judith Schalansky
7. Annihilation by Jeff VanDermeer.
8. The Last Ringbearer by Kirill Yeskov.
9. Njålssoga (aka Njåls saga, the Saga of Burnt Niall, etc. in various translations) by unknown author.
10. The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin.
11. Katalysatormordet by Hans Olav Lahlum.
12. The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks.
13. De Fem Fyrstikkene by Hans Olav Lahlum.
14. Pastoralia by George Saunders.
15. Kameleonmenneskene by Hans Olav Lahlum.
16. Academic Exercises by K.J. Parker.
17. Straits of Hell by Taylor Anderson.
18. Seveneves by Neal Stephenson.
19. My Real Children by Jo Walton.
20. Forrådt ("Betrayed") by Amalie Skram.
21. Nemesis Games by James S.A. Corey.
22. On the Steel Breeze by Alastair Reynolds.
23. Landfall by Stephen Baxter.
24. The March North by Graydon Saunders.
25. The Long Utopia by Terry Pratchett and (probably mostly) Stephen Baxter.
26. Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson.
27. Castaway Planet by Ryk Spoor and Eric Flint.
28. Ørnens Sønn by Olaf Havnes.
29. The Annihilation Score by Charles Stross.
30. The Dark Forest by Liu Cixin.

New:

31. Spring's Awakening by Frank Wedekind. A late 19th-century play, frequently banned and censored. Ignorant teenagers stumble into sexuality, there is no sex ed and these things are really not talked about at all, almost everyone dies or suffers horribly. Not really enjoyable but not really supposed to be either.

32. Poseidon's Wake by Alastair Reynolds. #3 in the series started with Blue Remembered Earth. Slower-than-light interstellar exploration, weird aliens, cosmological questions. Good stuff.

33. Extinction Game by Gary Gibson. Pretty quick little book about alternate-earth travel where the main characters are all survivors from various different post-apocalyptic scenarios, rescued and then used as field agents by a rather shadowy agency. Not bad but not all that good either, I've read some other books by the same author before and liked them better.

34. The Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson (a goon). Now this was loving great. Epic geopolitical fantasy, mean and spiteful. All you other goons, go and read this.

35. Havlandet by Olaf Havnes. #2 in that obscure Norwegian fantasy trilogy which started with Ørnens Sønn. Just as concise and sweetly badass as #1, this shows the influence of Norse sagas and involves a geographical/cultural area clearly inspired by same.

36. Svart Storm by Olaf Havnes. #3 in same and holy gently caress, this was good stuff and it's an awful shame the author died so soon. The whole trilogy was more epic than most other stuff I've read and it all clocked in at about 750 pages altogether. The cost and price of ultimate victory is shown, as well as bits and pieces of the world's history far removed from the main plot -- the goddamn framing prologue/epilogue could have spawned a whole trilogy of its own, for example.

37. Authority by Jeff Vandermeer. #2 in the Southern Reach trilogy, about a geographical area which just isn't right and human beings' attempts to understand this. Again, what the actual gently caress.

So far:
37/40 overall goal, of which 1/5 allowed rereads
9/10 Norwegian books
4/5 nonfiction

Booklord challenge points met:
2 (Forrådt; technically met earlier but saved for a book where the gender of the author was the POINT rather than an accident)
3 (Three-Body Problem)
5 (Njålssoga),
8 (Pastoralia)
11 (My Real Children)
12 (Ultima)
13 (Teckla; teleporting sorceror-assassins aren't particularly real)
14 (The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat)
15 (Ultima again, published November 2014)
16 (Njålssoga)
17 (Spring's Awakening)
19 (Three-Body Problem)
20 (Spring's Awakening)
21 (De Fem Fyrstikkene)
22 (Menneskefluene).

Nicely on track to meet and exceed my main goal, have to pick a few particular selections to fill out the last few challenge points.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

1. The Forge of God by Greg Bear
2. The Icarus Hunt by Timothy Zahn
3. Under a Graveyard Sky by John Ringo
4. To Sail a Darkling Sea by John Ringo
5. Islands of Rage and Hope by John Ringo
6. Strands of Sorrow by John Ringo
7. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling
8. Foundation by Isaac Asimov
9. Reach for Infinity edited by Jonathan Strahan
10. The Pride of Chanur by C.J. Cherryh
11. The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde
12. The Martian by Andy Weir
13. Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino
14. The Girl With All The Gifts by M.R. Carey
15. Assassin’s Apprentice by Robin Hobb
16. A Personal Matter by Kenzaburo Oe
17. Cibola Burn by James S.a. Corey
18. Atomic Accidents: A History of Nuclear Meltdowns and Disasters: From the Ozark Mountains to Fukushima by James Mahaffey
19. The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi
20. Dr. No by Ian Fleming
21. The End is Nigh edited by John Joseph Adams
22. The End is Now by John Joseph Adams
23. Monster Hunters International by Larry Correia
24. Escaping the Dead by W.J. Lundy
25. A Hanging by George Orwell
26. Revelation Space by Alistair Reynolds
27. The Spirit Thief(Eli Monpress #1) by Rachel Aaron
28. Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami
29. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
30. Beacon 23 Parts 1 and 2 by Hugh Howey
31. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo
32. Foundation and Empire by Isaac Asimov
33. Life, The Universe and Everything by Douglas Adams
34. The Spirit Rebellion (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #2) by Rachel Aaron
35. Beacon 23 parts 3,4, and 5 by Hugh Howey
36. The Remaining: Allegiance (The Remaining #5) by D.J. Molles
37. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
38. Shakespeare: The World as Stage by Bill Bryson
39. The Dead Lands by Benjamin Percy
40. Nemesis Games(The Expanse #5) by James S.A. Corey
41. The Warrior’s Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold
42. Black Sun Rising by C.S. Friedman
43. The Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickenson
44. The Remaining: Extinction by D.J. Molles
45. The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers
46. Red Rising by Pierce Brown
47. The Complete Poetry of Edgar Allen Poe by Edgar Allen Poe
48. The End of The World As We Knew It by Nick Cole
49. The Spirit Eater (Eli Monpress #3) by Rachel Aaron
50. The End has Come edited by John Joseph Adams

October update!

The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet was really good. A small group of people on a tunneling(wormhole) ship get hired to travel to a planet to connect it to the rest of the galaxy. Character driven story, not a lot of fighting action, stuff happens related to members of the ship at each stop along the way. Some human/alien and human/AI romance stuff, but doesn’t get graphic. Looking forward to the sequel whenever it is finished

I have seen The Hunger Games, but never read any of the books or similar stories so Red Rising was new for me. Again this was really good. The protagonist makes mistakes along the way seems to learn from them and grows. The story is all from the viewpoint of Darrow, and sometimes I think his train of thought was to foreshadowing in some ways but it was still enjoyable. I guess the second book switches up to space opera so looking forward to it.

My poetry selection was The Complete Poetry of Edgar Allen Poe. I don’t know why I picked it, but I did. Except for some of his more famous work, it was quite difficult to get through. I think some of that comes down to my lack of knowledge about poetry and how old the writing is so I feel I did not get a lot out of it. I should have picked something more contemporary, but what is done is done.

I really like reading stuff by Nick Cole. It’s not too heavy reading, it’s just solid writing about end of world stuff so I picked up his newest, The End of the World As We Knew It. This was another good one. It’s a historical view of a zombie apocalypse through three artifacts left over and analyzed much later, a voice recorder, a notebook and a newspaper article. His books are on the short side, but still wrapped up a good story without really leaving anything hanging.

Finished up my Eli Monpress Omnibus with The Spirit Eater. Still fun reads, this one is a bit different, no heist just story and a lot of world building going on. In addition to the Bandit King focuse, the League of Storms, demons, and Benehime all get pages devoted to them and more information about who they are and what they do is presented. I don’t know if I’ll get to the last two in the series this year, but definitely early next year I will be finishing the series.

The End has Come is the final book in a series of short stories. As it has been a long time since I read the first two in the series and we are looking at many short stories, I was lost on the background of many stories. Some of them I remembered(Nod, the mold stories, the Howey Wool connected ones, the child aliens) but others were not familiar. If I had either a quick 1 paragraph reminder before the story or read all three books back to back, I think it would have been better. There was enough good to make it a worthwhile read, but next time I attempt a series of short stories like this, I will approach it differently.

Finishing up my challenge and the booklord challenge with The Three Body Problem and The Blind Owl in the next week or so!

Booklord Challenge
1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year. 50/52
2. Read a female author The Pride of Chanur
3. The non-white author A Personal Matter
4. Philosophy The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
5. History Atomic Accidents: A History of Nuclear Meltdowns and Disasters
6. An essay A Hanging
7. A collection of poetry The Complete Poetry of Edgar Allen Poe
8. Something post-modern Invisible Cities
9. Something absurdist Life, The Universe and Everything
11. Something on either hate or love Norwegian Wood
12. Something dealing with space Foundation
13. Something dealing with the unreal The Girl With All The Gifts
14. Wildcard (Some one else taking the challenge will tell you what to read)Black Sun Rising
15. Something published this year or the past three months The Water Knife
16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time Dr. No
17. A play The Importance of Being Earnest
18. Biography Shakespeare: The World as Stage
19. The color red The Martian
20. Something banned or censored The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
21. Short story(s) Reach for Infinity
22. A mystery Murder on the Orient Express

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
October!

103. The Other Wind - Ursula K. Le Guin
104. In the Woods - Tana French
105. In the Garden of Beasts - Erik Larson
106. The Waste Land and Other Poems - T.S. Eliot
107. The BFG - Roald Dahl
108. Two Years, Eight Months, and Twenty-Eight Nights - Salman Rushdie
109. The Bridge of San Luis Rey - Thornton Wilder
110. Talking at the Gates - James Campbell
111. The Blind Owl - Sadegh Hedayat
112. Planet of the Apes - Pierre Boulle
113. For Whom the Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemingway
114. Proven Guilty (Dresden #8) - Jim Butcher
115. The Gay Place - Billy Lee Brammer

Overall, a good month, though nothing really stood out. In the Woods was a solid mystery, The Other Wind was a solid conclusion to the Earthsea Series, In the Garden of Beasts was a good nonfic about Hitler's rise to power, and Planet of the Apes was a good sci-fi novel (and interesting to see how the movie/movies developed from the books).

I guess the biggest thing is that I completed the booklord challenge! Just in time, too, because I just had a kid, and I doubt I'll ever read again. At least not until he's over 3-4 months. He's cute tho.

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year.: 115/100
2. Read a female author: 16 - Tana French, as well as another Le Guin book
3. The non-white author
4. Philosophy
5. History
6. An essay
7. A collection of poetry: The Waste Land and Other Poems
8. Something post-modern
9. Something absurdist
10. The Blind Owl
12. Something dealing with space
13. Something dealing with the unreal
14. Wildcard: Planet of the Apes
17. A play
18. Biography: Talking at the Gates
19. The color red
21. Short story(s)
22. A mystery

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

January
  1. Chestnuts: A True Story about Being Bullied by Gilbert Ohanian
  2. The Kosher Guide to Imaginary Animals: The Evil Monkey Dialogues by Ann VanderMeer, Jeff VanderMeer & Duff Goldman
  3. The Black Queen (The Fey #6) by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
  4. The Black King (The Fey #7) by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
    February
  5. The Labours of Hercules (Hercule Poirot, #26) by Agatha Christie
  6. Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld
    March
  7. Harry Potter and the Natural 20 (Harry Potter and the Natural 20, #1) by Sir Poley
  8. Harry Potter and the Confirmed Critical (Harry Potter and the Natural 20, #2) by Sir Poley
  9. Women in Love (Brangwen Family, #2) by D.H. Lawrence
  10. A Mind Forever Voyaging: A History of Storytelling in Video Games by Dylan Holmes
  11. Due Justice (Justice Series, #1) by Diane Capri
  12. Yes Please by Amy Poehler
    April
  13. The Changelings (War of the Fae, #1) by Elle Casey
  14. Killer Cupcakes (A Lexy Baker Bakery Mystery, #1) by Leighann Dobbs
  15. The Long Goodbye (Philip Marlowe #7) by Raymond Chandler
    May
  16. Look Evelyn, Duck Dynasty Wiper Blades. We Should Get Them.: A Collection Of New Essays by David Thorne
  17. Spider-Man and the X-Men by Elliot Kalan
  18. Non Campus Mentis: World History According to College Students by Anders Henriksson
  19. Guards! Guards! (Discworld #8) by Terry Pratchett
  20. Twenty Years After (The D'Artagnan Romances #2) by Alexandre Dumas
    June
  21. College in a Nutskull: A Crash Ed Course in Higher Education by Anders Henriksson
  22. Pen Pal by Francesca Forrest
  23. What a Croc! by The NT News
  24. The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
    July
  25. Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves
  26. Maus by Art Spiegelman
  27. It's a Bird... by Steven T. Seagle & Teddy Kristiansen
  28. It Came from the North: An Anthology of Finnish Speculative Fiction ed. Desirina Boskovich
  29. Datura by Leena Krohn
    August
  30. The Happiest Refugee by Anh Do
  31. The Kewpie Killer by Falafel Jones
  32. The Little Princesses: The Story of the Queen's Childhood by her Nanny, Marion Crawford by Marion Crawford
  33. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
    September
  34. The Diamond Queen: Elizabeth II And Her People by Andrew Marr
  35. The Savior Cometh (Americosis, #1) by Haydn Wilks
  36. Taken at the Flood aka. There is a Tide... (Hercule Poirot, #27) by Agatha Christie
  37. The Phoenix Code by Catherine Asaro
    October
  38. The Cipher by Kathe Koja
  39. Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits by David Wong
Total: 39/52
Female authors: 17/24
Non-fiction: 12/12

Goodreads.

I've mostly been wasting my time playing The Sims this month, so I haven't read much. Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits was a bit of a disappointment, but still a fun read. It just didn't work as well as John Dies at the End and a lot of it doesn't really make sense if you think about it at all. It also felt like it should have been serialised, because it's kind of broken up into episodes, little self-contained bits of the story, before it reaches the final, unsatisfying conclusion.

The Cipher was pretty good though. It wasn't as scary or creepy as it seemed like it wanted to be, but the characters are pretty great.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Chamberk posted:

104. In the Woods - Tana French

I read this a few months ago and loved it. I guess it's part of a series, where a non-POV from one book becomes the POV character of the next. I bought the 2nd and 3rd books but I haven't dived into them yet. Also congrats on the kid!

October update:
Stephen King and Peter Straub - The Talisman
Michael Lewis - Moneyball
Sarah Vowell - Assassination Vacation

The Talisman is now one of my favorite King books, just a great adventure story. Moneyball was surprisingly interesting, I think I will watch the movie mostly because I'm curious how they're going to turn that into a movie. Assassination Vacation was kind of a dud. I still have one booklord challenge to finish, but I'm 2/3 through A Confederacy of Dunces so I will finish that in the next week or so. My work schedule combined with post-season baseball really sidetracked my reading in October.

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year. (Currently at 49/35)
2. Read 10 books by female authors (Currently at 16/10)
3. The non-white author (Janet Mock - Redefining Realness)
4. Philosophy (Richard H. Popkin - Philosophy Made Simple)
5. History (Elizabeth Gillan Muir - Riverdale: East of the Don)
6. An essay (Paul Lockhart - The Mathematician's Lament)
7. A collection of poetry (Patricia Lockwood - Motherland Fatherland Homelandsexuals)
8. Something post-modern (Douglas Coupland - Worst Person Ever)
9. Something absurdist
10. The Blind Owl
11. Something on either hate or love (Joe Palca and Flora Lichtman - Annoying: The Science of What Bugs Us)
12. Something dealing with space (Mark Danielewski - House of Leaves)
13. Something dealing with the unreal (Margaret Atwood - The Year of the Flood)
14. Wildcard (George Macdonald Fraser - Black Ajax)
15. Something published this year or the past three months (Nick Cutter - The Deep)
16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time (Legs McNeil - Please Kill Me)
17. A play (Neil Simon - The Odd Couple)
18. Biography (Amy Poehler - Yes Please)
19. The color red (Josef Albers - Interaction of Color)
20. Something banned or censored (Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451)
21. Short story(s) (Heather O'Neill - Daydreams of Angels)
22. A mystery (Tana French - In The Woods)

The Berzerker fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

October - 5:

Tamerlane: Sword of Islam, Conqueror of the World (Justin Marozzi)
Union Man (Jack Jones)
The Smartest Guys in the Room (Bethany McLean & Peter Elkind)
Lord of the Flies (William Golding)
Pyramids (Terry Pratchett)

Some good stuff this month.

Tamerlane was absolutely fascinating to read. Marozzi has clearly spent a lot of time on it and done some pretty extensive travelling to support the book research, and he tells the story in a compelling fashion. It's crazy to think how little traction Tamerlane gets in the West compared to Alexander the Great and Genghis Khan, but there you go. One thing that's done really well is to balance the clear admiration for his achievements (which are pretty incredible) with the absolutely horrifying human cost of that kind of grand conquest.

Union Man was ok I guess. I learned a lot about the history of 20th century trade unionism, since Jack Jones was part of most of it up until the mid 70s, but there's a fair part of the book which is laying out union politics and this and that negotiation in mind-numbing detail.

Despite being business journalism, The Smartest Guys in the Room was fascinating and pretty pacey. McLean & Elkind manage to make the various players in the Enron scandal great characters in and of themselves, and they're merciless in setting out exactly how the scam operated and the increasingly desperate lengths to which Enron senior management went to create the fiction of profit even as they haemoragged actual cash at an astonishing rate. The way this enormous company unravelled practically overnight is chilling, even moreso when you think that it was only another seven years before the whole thing happened again on an even grander scale.

Lord of the Flies is a book I really should have read but never got around to. Golding was a teacher at my school ffs. I'm glad I did though. It's obviously dated now (I don't know that you'd have Piggy screaming about the kids being "painted up niggers" nowadays unless it was meant to be a character trait!) but the core is still effective. Golding is strong on showing, not telling, how the social dynamics at play are operating and telling the story of the loss of civilisation, and the way it all ties together at the end (and the sudden shift in viewpoint to see the whole thing through adult eyes, reducing the kids from these wild savages back to being naughty little boys) is done really well.

Pyramids is another Pratchett. It doesn't have the best reputation among Discworld books but I've always rather liked it. It probably suffers from being early on and not taking place in Ankh Morpork (much) which is what most people seem to find interesting about the setting, but I enjoy the skewed look at ancient Egypt. 7 down now, only 34 (!) to go.

I failed to booklord this month, but the next two I have lined up take care of all the categories except the play, which I really need to get on with.

Year to Date: 50

01. The Establishment: And how they get away with it (Owen Jones)
02. Mussolini and Fascist Italy (Martin Blinkhorn)
03. Love in the Time of Cholera (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
04. All You Need is Kill (Hiroshi Sakurazaka)
05. Theft: A Love Story (Peter Carey)
06. Stalin (Kevin McDermott)
07. Heart of Darkness (Joseph Conrad)
08. Revenge (Yoko Ogawa)
09. The Good Soldier Svejk and his Fortunes in the Great War (Jaroslav Hasek)
10. The Buried Giant (Kazuo Ishiguro)
11. after the quake (Haruki Murakami)
12. The Colour of Magic (Terry Pratchett)
13. The Light Fantastic (Terry Pratchett)
14. The Girls of Room 28: Friendship, Hope and Survival in Theresienstadt (Hannelore Brenner)
15. Equal Rites (Terry Pratchett)
16. Invisible Cities (Italo Calvino)
17. Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe 1944-1956 (Anne Applebaum)
18. Running with the Kenyans (Adharanand Finn)
19. Notes from Underground and The Double (Fyodor Dostoyevsky)
20. First Novel (Nicholas Royle)
21. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (Junot Diaz)
22. Mort (Terry Pratchett)
23. Schlump (Hans Herbert Grimm)
24. Concrete (Thomas Bernhard)
25. The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich (William L. Shirer)
26. The Last Kingdom (Bernard Cornwell)
27. The Pale Horseman (Bernard Cornwell)
28. Beauty and Sadness (Yasunari Kawabata)
29. The Blind Owl (Sadegh Hedayat)
30. The Lords of the North (Bernard Cornwell)
31. Sophie's World (Jostein Gaarder)
32. The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared (Jonas Jonasson)
33. Selected Poems (Edgar Allen Poe)
34. The Bookseller of Kabul (Asne Seierstad)
35. Long Walk to Freedom (Nelson Mandela)
36. We (Yevgeny Zamyatin)
37. The Bell Jar (Sylvia Plath)
38. The Year of the Flood (Margaret Atwood)
39. MaddAddam (Margaret Atwood)
40. Sourcery (Terry Pratchett)
41. The House of the Spirits (Isabel Allende)
42. A Personal Matter (Kenzaburo Oe)
43. Wyrd Sisters (Terry Pratchett)
44. 3 Novels (Cesar Aira)
45. American Rust (Philipp Meyer)
46. Tamerlane: Sword of Islam, Conqueror of the World (Justin Marozzi)
47. Union Man (Jack Jones)
48. The Smartest Guys in the Room (Bethany McLean & Peter Elkind)
49. Lord of the Flies (William Golding)
50. Pyramids (Terry Pratchett)

Booklord categories: 1 - 11, 13 - 15, 18 - 22.

• Locked thread