Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

amuayse posted:

I've always used the GEP gun as a magical lock opening tool

If youre not using the GEP Gun to open doors you're not using it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is that coming from someone in China, I mean, The People's Republic of China? He would get shot for saying bad stuff about the government. Did you forget the government got shut down because reality is the complete opposite of what the guy said?

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 28, 2015

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Well, it's Hong Kong, which I'm given to understand is kind of different from mainland China.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Remora posted:

Well, it's Hong Kong, which I'm given to understand is kind of different from mainland China.

It was back then. It is not, now. The British handed control of Hong Kong back to China a few years after DX came out.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Fuzz posted:

It was back then. It is not, now. The British handed control of Hong Kong back to China a few years after DX came out.

A few years before, in 1997. Hong Kong is still socially very different.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

China also promised as part of the return deal to leave Hong Kong alone and let it function under its own system without interference. They've only started really reneging on that in the past couple of years, at the time of Deus Ex they were respecting it and gave no indication about changing it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

amuayse posted:

I've always used the GEP gun as a magical lock opening tool

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

MrL_JaKiri posted:

A few years before, in 1997. Hong Kong is still socially very different.

... which is the code to Tong's compound.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is that coming from someone in China, I mean, The People's Republic of China? He would get shot for saying bad stuff about the government. Did you forget the government got shut down because reality is the complete opposite of what the guy said?

China isn't The West, and is indeed quite pro-money?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Figured out why the wiki doesn't even bother to list Jock's pistol - it's poo poo. You get it long after you had a chance to acquire Jojo's Lo Bruto, yet it's worse in every conceivable way. Lower damage, rate of of fire (way lower) reload speed, recoil and accuracy. There's an argument to be made for using the Magnum over Lo Bruto - those 3 extra damage points may come in handy on occasion - but there's absolutely no use for Jock's pistol.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Here's the full conversation.

quote:

ISAAC
Beer is 15; wine is 120.

JC DENTON
Can I ask you something?

ISAAC
What do you want to know?

JC DENTON
Despite all I've read about the Triads, I wasn't prepared to see them operating in the open, on the streets, and wearing uniforms. Doesn't the Chinese government care?

ISAAC
The Chinese leave Hong Kong alone. They barricade the roads to control trade to the mainland, but they know how business is done.

JC DENTON
I would think the secret smuggling operations of the Triads would disturb the Chinese government.

ISAAC
Maybe the Luminous Path, but China knows that the Red Arrow are business owners, entrepreneurs, community leaders, and that they protect the city from outside influences.

JC DENTON
You said "outside influences." What does China fear?

ISAAC
China is the last sovereign country in the world. Authoritarian but willing -- unlike U.N.-governed countries -- to give its people the freedom to do what they want.

JC DENTON
As long as they don't break the law.

ISAAC
Listen to me. This is real freedom, freedom to own property, make a profit, make your life. The West, so afraid of strong government, now has no government. Only financial power.

JC DENTON
Our governments have limited power by design.

ISAAC
Rhetoric... And you believe it! Don't you know where these slogans come from?

JC DENTON
I give up.

ISAAC
Well-paid researchers -- how do you say it? -- "think tanks," funded by big businesses. What is that? A "think tank"?

JC DENTON
Hardly as sinister as a dictator, like China's Premier.

ISAAC
It's privately-funded propaganda. The Trilateral Commission in the United States, for instance.

JC DENTON
The separation of powers acknowledges the petty ambitions of individuals; that's its strength.

ISAAC
A system organized around the weakest qualities of individuals will produce these same qualities in its leaders.

JC DENTON
Perhaps certain qualities are an inseparable part of human nature.

ISAAC
The mark of the educated man is the suppression of these qualities in favor of better ones. The same is true of civilization.

JC DENTON
I'll get a drink later.

The idea that democracy is a farce because large firms, which can't be held accountable for their actions, control the world is a common theme in Cyberpunk literature. The bartender believes that Western governments have sold out their people to multinational corporations. Subsequently, he argues that China/Hong Kong is a much better place to live because it keeps the companies in check. You obviously can't go against the regime, but as long as you're willing to play by its rules, you have the chance to live a decent life. Basically, he thinks that a dictatorship is still better than the freedom to starve in the streets. Whether that's true is up for debate of course, but the point of the conversation is to contrast JC's naive ideal of the US as a perfect democracy with the bartender's cynical view of the US as an oligarchy.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Yeah, I know it is a theme in cyberpunks.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EywgiSjkfkw

The grimdark future is now.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Prenton posted:

... which is the code to Tong's compound.

1776. Please turn your nerd card at the front desk on your way out.

edit: gently caress why did I look that up AFTER I made the post? I will see myself out. I don't even know where the heck I got that from

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 28, 2015

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I love how that conversation is a totally optional piece of side content with a bartender. Just like finding Morpheus' room. :allears:

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

1776. Please turn your nerd card at the front desk on your way out.

edit: gently caress why did I look that up AFTER I made the post? I will see myself out. I don't even know where the heck I got that from

Isn't that the date the Illuminati was founded?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Apolis posted:

Isn't that the date the Illuminati was founded?

Correct, although the game cares more about 1723, when it claims Weishaupt was born. Which he wasn't, he was born in 1748 (23 is a reference to Illuminatus!, however, and in those pre-Wikipedia days they may just have gotten it wrong)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Correct, although the game cares more about 1723, when it claims Weishaupt was born. Which he wasn't, he was born in 1748 (23 is a reference to Illuminatus!, however, and in those pre-Wikipedia days they may just have gotten it wrong)

I've never heard the whole of that conversation. They drop it right at a level transition so it's really easy to get it cut off.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Party Plane Jones posted:

I've never heard the whole of that conversation. They drop it right at a level transition so it's really easy to get it cut off.

quote:

Seems to be some inventory data there; VersaLife has been synthesizing the Gray
Death Virus in great quantities. The entire stockpile has been loaded onto a
superfreighter going to New York. Interesting... the previous owner of the ship
was Stanton Dowd. Ever heard of the Illuminati? Come back to the compound. I
have much to tell you.

...tracking down this Dowd connection. Illuminati fingerprints all over the
sterics -- I'm talking about the molecule's shape: 17 segments, 23 coupling
points... Only Illuminati technicians use sleeve bearings with 34-fold and 46-
fold symmetry; multiples of 17 and 23. 1723. The birth of Adam Weishaupt. Not a
coincidence.

It's not that exciting. If Tong's wrong about the birthdate, that's funny because Tong getting it wrong is a consistent theme in DX. New Dark Age my rear end.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
1723!?!??!

I'll never forget Tong's delivery on that line for some reason. And how silly it is that the Illuminati hides conspiracy clues in the tailoring of their shirts. What if one of their technicians is a fat guy?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

And how silly it is that the Illuminati hides conspiracy clues in the tailoring of their shirts. What if one of their technicians is a fat guy?

I don't get it

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I don't get it

This prompted me to look up what a sleeve bearing is. Based on the context of the line above, I assumed they were talking about shirts. I have shamed myself twice in the Deus Ex thread in a matter of hours.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I don't get it

sleeve bearings. it is a bad joke. :v:

e: what Tong is actually referring to is the Grey Death's mechanical structure because it's a nanomachine as opposed to a true biological plague and :words:

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Sleeve bearings are not on shirts

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Psion posted:

It's not that exciting. If Tong's wrong about the birthdate, that's funny because Tong getting it wrong is a consistent theme in DX. New Dark Age my rear end.

The dumbest part about his 'Dark Age' is that even if you destroy the infrastructure you haven't destroyed the knowledge to build said infrastructure. People like the internet and they're going to rebuild it as fast as possible.

It's like politicians patting themselves on the back for getting rid of (old, obsolete) nuclear weapons.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Ekster posted:

The dumbest part about his 'Dark Age' is that even if you destroy the infrastructure you haven't destroyed the knowledge to build said infrastructure. People like the internet and they're going to rebuild it as fast as possible.

One thing I'll give invisible war is that even that muddled box of crap said "uhhhh well the internet's back, Tong just sorta got it damaged for a while."

the whole concept of centralized routing defies the laws of physics anyway. It never really worked for me. If they'd framed it more as centralized surveillance where all internet traffic is captured at peering points or whatever and copied to Area 51, I guess that's a little more plausible? But the idea of the entire internet literally routing through Page's bunker was just pfffff, nah.

e: I should say "stayed" at that level because I remember a datacube indicating Aquinas was surveillance first, and then they just bullshitted it into being an internet replacement.

I try not to take it literally since it works just fine in the context of the game. They got it right with Daedalus, so I have to give them credit for trying.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 28, 2015

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Psion posted:

Don't forget that Tong is ultimately a gangster, and a new dark age would put the now unified Triads in pretty good position to completely rule Hong Kong openly. Like everyone else he's using JC for his own agenda.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

DoubleNegative posted:

Don't forget that Tong is ultimately a gangster, and a new dark age would put the now unified Triads in pretty good position to completely rule Hong Kong openly. Like everyone else he's using JC for his own agenda.

Yeah, if I remember right the first thing Helios does is to lock Tong in his own compound :laugh:

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

The endings are left fairly vague (except the Illumanti ending) because they're to be taken at face value rather than analysing what would actually happen with all of the characters and their lives. They were more exercises in philosophies rather than actually trying to choose the 'best' ending (Destruction ending was always my favourite) Wherether Tong is a fuckup or not doesn't matter to me, as far as the Destruction and Helios endings go I think they were both intended to be on the level, rather than being read into too much.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
It's actually amazing how well-balanced the endings are.

I always liked the Helios ending because it sort of provided an avenue for me, JC Denton, to stay in control and keep making decisions. Of the other endings, one leaves JC probably dead or scratching out some kind of farming existence and the other leaves him supposedly running the Illuminati but actually taking a back seat and not being able to get anything done except indirectly. Thinking about it, the Helios ending even leaves the option open to say "nah" later and burn the whole thing down or hand control over to Morgan Everett. Or have a dance party.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I love how that conversation is a totally optional piece of side content with a bartender. Just like finding Morpheus' room. :allears:

I liked how the voice actor didn't seem to understand the script. His delivery of the think tank bit always sounded like he was making an exclamation rather than a question.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

qntm posted:

It's actually amazing how well-balanced the endings are.

I always liked the Helios ending because it sort of provided an avenue for me, JC Denton, to stay in control and keep making decisions. Of the other endings, one leaves JC probably dead or scratching out some kind of farming existence and the other leaves him supposedly running the Illuminati but actually taking a back seat and not being able to get anything done except indirectly. Thinking about it, the Helios ending even leaves the option open to say "nah" later and burn the whole thing down or hand control over to Morgan Everett. Or have a dance party.

I've never really liked the Helios ending, since it goes directly against what JC stood for the entire game. He never wanted to become a god, he thought the abilities of people working together was the best way to run a country.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I liked how the voice actor didn't seem to understand the script. His delivery of the think tank bit always sounded like he was making an exclamation rather than a question.

Rhetoric? And you believe it?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Momomo posted:

I've never really liked the Helios ending, since it goes directly against what JC stood for the entire game. He never wanted to become a god, he thought the abilities of people working together was the best way to run a country.
He had to know that or he wouldn't have voluntarily merged.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Momomo posted:

Well, what's the alternative? Let the Illuminati screw everything up again or Tong's short lived 'Dark Age'?

They both go against that ideal I think.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Momomo posted:

I think the concept, at least, is that that is precisely why Helios prefers to merge with JC instead of with Page. Helios wants the alternate viewpoint.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I don't see the endings as a positive choice but more of a "lesser of three evils" sitiuation - what the lesser one is depends on your point of view - enlightened despotism, anarchy or oligarchy.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Maybe that's what they originally intended, but as we see in the sequel, JC ends up forcing everyone in the world to link themselves up as one. I could never see JC agreeing to that.

Ekster posted:

Well, what's the alternative? Let the Illuminati screw everything up again or Tong's short lived 'Dark Age'?

They both go against that ideal I think.

To be totally honest the Illuminati endings in all three games have always seemed the least awful to me. Yeah, it's a shadow government that controls the world, but everything else is even more unappealing. A blackout is dumb and would cause more problems then it's worth, and creating a god from an AI and a guy that quit his job on the first day sounds like a terrible idea.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I thought the Helios endings were less a hive mind with a reigning AI God controlling everyone akin to the Borg from Star Trek and more of a way to monitor everyones needs on a ridiculously fast scale so Helios Denton knows exactly how to divert its resources to ensure equality for everyone?

That's how I always read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I think either Tracer Tong or Morgan Everett mentions near the end that Helios used its powers to lock the triads inside of their compunds and disable government buildings. Based on that, I'm assuming the Helios ending is basically Helios/JC Denton taking over all technology in the world and shutting down critical resources if people don't obey their orders.