Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

TFW you're eating eggs and some guy won't shut up about radical Islam.

I wonder if the people of Iowa and New Hampshire know how cool it is to get to talk to candidates one on one? I mean, that's the man that should thirteen or so simultaneous wacky accidents strike gets to be crushed by a horrified public in the general. You just can't put a price on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jerk1000
Dec 3, 2014
Jeb taking on Big Syllable.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
There's a big space open on the Republican side for a realistic critique of the Obama / Clinton foreign policy, which has neither been definable nor particularly effective.

But they're all so wed to the neoconservative fever dream that building a thousand aircraft carriers will somehow deter Putin that they have to resort to name-calling.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Jeb! needs to go back on Tumblr and blog about not having enough spoons or w/e introverts with fibromyalgia are supposed to do

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

gradenko_2000 posted:

So, still theoretically possible, then.

I think Jeb! would be a terrible president but I honestly think he is the most qualified to go up against Clinton. Carson/Trump/Cruz would be utter disasters from the Republican party and probably have a major effect on down tickets, Clinton would chew up Rubio and it would probably cause serious harm to the Republican brand so honestly where does that leave them at the convention?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Three Olives posted:

I think Jeb! would be a terrible president but I honestly think he is the most qualified to go up against Clinton. Carson/Trump/Cruz would be utter disasters from the Republican party and probably have a major effect on down tickets, Clinton would chew up Rubio and it would probably cause serious harm to the Republican brand so honestly where does that leave them at the convention?

If Clinton can chew up Rubio, Jeb! wouldn't even slow her down. Honestly Trump, with all his faults, is probably the most electable Republican. His only insanity is narcissism and he has good fighter's instincts.

Their real choice is Kasich but he's too moderate for the base and is tarred with the Lehman Brothers brush ( much like O'Malley is tarred by The Wire).

What's really going on is two separate parties trying to pick a unifying candidate. But any candidate the Tea Party likes is too radical for the Republicans and vice versa.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Joementum posted:

There's a big space open on the Republican side for a realistic critique of the Obama / Clinton foreign policy, which has neither been definable nor particularly effective.

But they're all so wed to the neoconservative fever dream that building a thousand aircraft carriers will somehow deter Putin that they have to resort to name-calling.

You mean a critique of Obama's drone program... from the left???

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Rush just said: "Our foreign policy is so incompetent I think Jeb's campaign is running it."

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Joementum posted:

TFW you're eating eggs and some guy won't shut up about radical Islam.

They didn't tell me they let the spring chickens out of the hen house! All jokes aside I'd like to talk with you about the greatest danger our nation has ever faced. Should I grab some Mimosas or Bloody Marys before we start?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Three Olives posted:

I think Jeb! has one of the worst matchups. Like it not there's going to be people talking about political "dynasties" with Clinton in the race and Jeb! is the only one who can't take advantage of that, in fact he'd be rightfully regarded as worse than her in that regard.

This is in addition to his obvious incompetence at campaigning.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

There is also a love of hyperbole that does them no favors. Instead of "Russia's influence has been allowed to increase, as has Iran's, and rather than increase stability in the Middle East our policies have actually further destabilized the region" it's always "WE ARE LIVING IN A TIME OF CRISIS AND CATASTROPHE, AND OBAMA IS SURRENDERING TO OUR MORTAL FOES; WE MUST DECIDE NOW, IF WE WILL CHERISH AMERICA OR SEE HER GROUND INTO DUST."

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If Clinton can chew up Rubio, Jeb! wouldn't even slow her down. Honestly Trump, with all his faults, is probably the most electable Republican. His only insanity is narcissism and he has good fighter's instincts.

Their real choice is Kasich but he's too moderate for the base and is tarred with the Lehman Brothers brush ( much like O'Malley is tarred by The Wire).

What's really going on is two separate parties trying to pick a unifying candidate. But any candidate the Tea Party likes is too radical for the Republicans and vice versa.

Which means what we already knew. Republicans are simply not electable. And when they accept this they'll have to cut off their gangrene teaparty legs. The house gains haven't been worth it it only gave them the freedom caucus.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fancy people don't say the word fancy.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Congratulations to Cruz, Huckabee and Jindal for literally agreeing with ISIL that gay people should be murdered.

Montasque posted:

Rush just said: "Our foreign policy is so incompetent I think Jeb's campaign is running it."
:eyepop:

Wow, that's Rush straight-up comparing Jeb! with Obama. There can be no greater insult.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Three Olives posted:

The "benefit" of Jeb! winning the nod would be that down ballot GOP candidates could bad mouth their own candidate and blame his insufficient conservatism for the eventual thrashing by Hillary. At this point Jebs greatest value would being an effective fall guy to shield conservatism. Sort of the role Boehner has played this last year.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
What hooting is my schizophrenic friend talking about?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

And just when I was starting to feel kind of bad for Jeb!. Yes, Jeb!, nuance in foreign policy is always bad and never good. You got it.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Peztopiary posted:

I wonder if the people of Iowa and New Hampshire know how cool it is to get to talk to candidates one on one? I mean, that's the man that should thirteen or so simultaneous wacky accidents strike gets to be crushed by a horrified public in the general. You just can't put a price on that.

I've had Jon Huntsman, The Newtinator, and Lindsay "Warmachine" Graham all come to my place of work. I'm sure this year we could have had more, but the new company president considers the visits a distraction. It's pretty nifty, but we will be forgotten the next day after the primary, and our four electors will be all we are to the general election. Not really enough to matter regardless of our status as a swing state.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Mr. Andrew Lack
Chairman, NBC News
30 Rockefeller Plaza
New York, New York 10112

Dear Mr. Lack,

I write to inform you that pending further discussion between the Republican National Committee (RNC) and our presidential campaigns, we are suspending the partnership with NBC News for the Republican primary debate at the University of Houston on February 26, 2016. The RNC’s sole role in the primary debate process is to ensure that our candidates are given a full and fair opportunity to lay out their vision for America’s future. We simply cannot continue with NBC without full consultation with our campaigns.

The CNBC network is one of your media properties, and its handling of the debate was conducted in bad faith. We understand that NBC does not exercise full editorial control over CNBC’s journalistic approach. However, the network is an arm of your organization, and we need to ensure there is not a repeat performance.

CNBC billed the debate as one that would focus on “the key issues that matter to all voters—job growth, taxes, technology, retirement and the health of our national economy.” That was not the case. Before the debate, the candidates were promised an opening question on economic or financial matters. That was not the case. Candidates were promised that speaking time would be carefully monitored to ensure fairness. That was not the case. Questions were inaccurate or downright offensive. The first question directed to one of our candidates asked if he was running a comic book version of a presidential campaign, hardly in the spirit of how the debate was billed.

While debates are meant to include tough questions and contrast candidates’ visions and policies for the future of America, CNBC’s moderators engaged in a series of “gotcha” questions, petty and mean-spirited in tone, and designed to embarrass our candidates. What took place Wednesday night was not an attempt to give the American people a greater understanding of our candidates’ policies and ideas.

I have tremendous respect for the First Amendment and freedom of the press. However, I also expect the media to host a substantive debate on consequential issues important to Americans. CNBC did not.

While we are suspending our partnership with NBC News and its properties, we still fully intend to have a debate on that day, and will ensure that National Review remains part of it.

I will be working with our candidates to discuss how to move forward and will be in touch.

Sincerely,

Reince Priebus
Chairman, Republican National Committee

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Mr. Andrew Lack
Chairman, NBC News
30 Rockefeller Plaza
New York, New York 10112

Dear Mr. Lack,

Oh god they're coming after me oh god oh god

Sincerely,

Reince Priebus

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Ahhhhhhahahaha that's hilarious

:circlefap:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In which the Chairman of the Republican National Committee defends Donald Trump from a media critique:

quote:

The first question directed to one of our candidates asked if he was running a comic book version of a presidential campaign, hardly in the spirit of how the debate was billed.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
LIEBRAL MEDIA is now an official Republican position. NICE.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Joementum posted:

Mr. Andrew Lack
Chairman, NBC News
30 Rockefeller Plaza
New York, New York 10112

Dear Mr. Lack,

I write to inform you that pending further discussion between the Republican National Committee (RNC) and our presidential campaigns, we are suspending the partnership with NBC News for the Republican primary debate at the University of Houston on February 26, 2016. The RNC’s sole role in the primary debate process is to ensure that our candidates are given a full and fair opportunity to lay out their vision for America’s future. We simply cannot continue with NBC without full consultation with our campaigns.

The CNBC network is one of your media properties, and its handling of the debate was conducted in bad faith. We understand that NBC does not exercise full editorial control over CNBC’s journalistic approach. However, the network is an arm of your organization, and we need to ensure there is not a repeat performance.

CNBC billed the debate as one that would focus on “the key issues that matter to all voters—job growth, taxes, technology, retirement and the health of our national economy.” That was not the case. Before the debate, the candidates were promised an opening question on economic or financial matters. That was not the case. Candidates were promised that speaking time would be carefully monitored to ensure fairness. That was not the case. Questions were inaccurate or downright offensive. The first question directed to one of our candidates asked if he was running a comic book version of a presidential campaign, hardly in the spirit of how the debate was billed.

While debates are meant to include tough questions and contrast candidates’ visions and policies for the future of America, CNBC’s moderators engaged in a series of “gotcha” questions, petty and mean-spirited in tone, and designed to embarrass our candidates. What took place Wednesday night was not an attempt to give the American people a greater understanding of our candidates’ policies and ideas.

I have tremendous respect for the First Amendment and freedom of the press. However, I also expect the media to host a substantive debate on consequential issues important to Americans. CNBC did not.

While we are suspending our partnership with NBC News and its properties, we still fully intend to have a debate on that day, and will ensure that National Review remains part of it.

I will be working with our candidates to discuss how to move forward and will be in touch.

Sincerely,

Reince Priebus

He's right that the debate was terribly run.

Hope NBC hits them for contract damages though.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Reince trying really hard not to get fired

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

Mr. Andrew Lack
Chairman, NBC News
30 Rockefeller Plaza
New York, New York 10112

Dear Mr. Lack,

Sincerely,

Reince Priebus

I believe he will find the response... lacking.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Wanna see Anderson Cooper moderate a GOP debate.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Apparently I have a new av, hopefully it will emphasize that I am Here For the Blood.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Vox Nihili posted:

Wanna see Anderson Cooper moderate a GOP debate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XUN7BfmIpk

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Outstanding.

The echo chamber shrinks some more, leading to more delusion and more unskewing of polls and more "nobody I listen to is voting Democrat". The GOP is kettling their own voters.

Karl Rove may literally have a heart attack or stroke on-air on election night.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Why are any of these debates happening anywhere other than Fox News and AM radio?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Reince is trying desperately to keep the Donald from going off and having his own debate with blackjack and hookers

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 22, 2016

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Is there anyone who could conduct a GOP debate without widespread claims of liberal or establishment bias? If the questions are lighthearted they get bashed for being unsubstantial, if they dare the challenge someone on policy or past actions its "gotcha" journalism. I mean I agree that the media in general in this country is garbage, but once you start cancelling with the big networks who does it even leave with the thinnest veneer of objectivity? Do we just have Rush and Master Shake audibly fellating Ted Cruz at future debates?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

skaboomizzy posted:

Karl Rove may literally have a heart attack or stroke on-air on election night.

Hold on, Karl Rove is on Fox News saying that toast may not be burnt quite yet...

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Xenophon posted:

how can one man be this bad at politics
I keep oscillating between "He never wanted to run for President in the first place and he says stuff like this on purpose because he wants out" and "He really is just this dumb and bad at politics"

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Subvisual Haze posted:

Is there anyone who could conduct a GOP debate without widespread claims of liberal or establishment bias?

People seemed to be mostly happy with the CNN debate, I think?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Joementum posted:

Obama's foreign policy is ineffective, but that's far better than 'complete, unmitigated disaster that will haunt us for decades'.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zoran posted:

I think I've figured it out.

From a couple pages back—I was catching up on the debate post-chat—but this is really great. I'm glad the floundering of the Jeb! campaign has not diminished our dedication to quality pie charts. :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Phlegmish posted:

Obama's foreign policy is ineffective, but that's far better than 'complete, unmitigated disaster that will haunt us for decades'.

And that is where, if the GOP had any integrity or grey matter between their ears, they would focus. Instead they seem to just want to carpet bomb the world's problems away.

• Locked thread