Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Xenophon posted:

There is also a love of hyperbole that does them no favors. Instead of "Russia's influence has been allowed to increase, as has Iran's, and rather than increase stability in the Middle East our policies have actually further destabilized the region" it's always "WE ARE LIVING IN A TIME OF CRISIS AND CATASTROPHE, AND OBAMA IS SURRENDERING TO OUR MORTAL FOES; WE MUST DECIDE NOW, IF WE WILL CHERISH AMERICA OR SEE HER GROUND INTO DUST."

Nuance has never been the strong point of american conservativism even on a relative basis among other political parties. It's hard to make a detailed argument in favor of vague notions of tradition or its policy abstractions. Hence "Make America Great Again" being a winning slogan. Gonna be great again, don't ask me how or why just fuckin' trust me on how great its gonna be.

Now, a decent critique would be something like decrying the paralysis that results from a political existence in the shadow of our escapades in Iraq and Afghanistan, but that's impossible to heap onto one person so it can't be used as the cudgel they need. It doesn't help that we have this cultural fear of all things Islam so we can't take a pragmatic look at some of the major players in the region as possible allies, something further complicated by having been shackled by our forebears to the antagonism of old Israeli men who still think the Iranians, Jordanians, and Egyptians do nothing but face Mecca and swear blood oaths to eradicate every Jew.

We're dealing with political paradigms that have a lineage so incestuous it would make a Habsburg run away screaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Farm Frenzy posted:

jebs killin it on this weird chart that doesnt have donald on it or any dates on the x axis

holy poo poo i think jeb is on to something

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
NBC's troll game is strong.

http://press.nbcnews.com/2015/10/30/statement-from-nbc-news/ posted:

Statement from NBC News:

“This is a disappointing development. However, along with our debate broadcast partners at Telemundo we will work in good faith to resolve this matter with the Republican Party.”

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 22, 2016

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
You're completely right, but the questions that made Carson and Cruz fly off the handle were nothing like that

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Am I really in the minority of people who thinks Jeb!! still has a way better chance to secure the nomination than Trump or just about anyone else except Rubio? Because none of this 'gaffe' poo poo matters except as a way to potentially spook some thin skinned donors. But Bush's SuperPAC is loaded and his campaign was recently restructured to be a bit leaner, so he can potentially ride out months of bad press. His poll numbers are low but that could change as other candidates run out of money and are forced to drop out, and especially as other candidates are scrutinized further voters might turn to Bush as the least bad option. Donors already gave truckloads of dough to Right to Rise because they believed Bush was the least bad option. He doesn't have to be a good candidate to get the nomination. Romney signed proto-Obamacare into law, didn't believe that Jesus was God, and said dumb, offputting poo poo every week. The joyful tortoise thing actually isn't the worst potential characterization of what this might turn into.

Except Jeb doesn't look like he's having fun, which is good because his deserves to be miserable.

Joementum posted:

amazing

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Joementum posted:

I wish this election never ends.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Do It Once Right posted:

I want TRUMP to take the primary and general election, because I believe he'll spend 4 years continually slamming Jeb Bush at every opportunity. And I can't imagine how awesome his State of the Union speeches would be.

:smuggo:"My fellow Trumpericans, on this day I'd just like to remind you all that JEB! is a loser and his brother did not keep us safe."
:foxnews: "And now we go to the Democratic Party's response."
:sigh: "While President Trump didn't address our nation's issues in his speech we do agree with what he said."

Xenophon posted:

how can one man be this bad at politics

Pretty easily when his last name is Bush.

Montasque posted:

Rush just said: "Our foreign policy is so incompetent I think Jeb's campaign is running it."

:pusheen:

Subvisual Haze posted:

Is there anyone who could conduct a GOP debate without widespread claims of liberal or establishment bias? If the questions are lighthearted they get bashed for being unsubstantial, if they dare the challenge someone on policy or past actions its "gotcha" journalism. I mean I agree that the media in general in this country is garbage, but once you start cancelling with the big networks who does it even leave with the thinnest veneer of objectivity? Do we just have Rush and Master Shake audibly fellating Ted Cruz at future debates?

"Welcome to the True Conservative Debate, with your host Rush Limbaugh." :unsmigghh:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 22, 2016

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

A Bag of Milk posted:

Am I really in the minority of people who thinks Jeb!! still has a way better chance to secure the nomination than Trump or just about anyone else except Rubio?

We're probably in the minority, but I agree with this. Though it's becoming more likely that Jeb!'s slump will lead to one of the second-tier candidates (most likely Cruz) moving up to compete with him and Rubio.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Bad moderation is bad, but its not as bad as having the RNC have to come in and soothe the crying field of 10+ presidential candidates who need saving from big bad cnbc.

Just call the moderation team lovely and figure out how to make your candidate look above it. What good does any of this do? There are better and worse places to host the debates but which one of them is going to make a Trump/Carson led shitshow look good? Which one of them is going to not ask any specific policy questions? Why does anyone in the GOP think turning the primary debates into easy mode is a good idea when you're already in a bind with voters?

Why are you beating up the strawman media when your campaigns suck rear end and you are so unprepared this lovely strawman media seems to be tripping you up?

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 30, 2015

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Seriously, my majorly conservative "nuke the palestinians" coworker just said "If they bitch about debate questions from NBC, how are they going to deal with ISIS"

Wise words indeed. The optics on this are terrible to anyone but the very very brainwashed.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vox Nihili posted:

Apparently I have a new av, hopefully it will emphasize that I am Here For the Blood.

I did not even know that arena was a thing! Also hi DF LP friend. :buddy:

In other news, I am finally caught back up after the debate. After carefully considering the alternatives, I am torn between wanting to support Lindsey "Make Me Commander-in-Chief (World War III: All War All The Time)" Graham and Carly "I don't smile enough because I'm literally the grim reaper and here is my twelve-point plan to start World War III" Fiorina. Can a discerning goon sir please walk me through the defining points of each of their campaigns? tia

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

A Bag of Milk posted:

Am I really in the minority of people who thinks Jeb!! still has a way better chance to secure the nomination than Trump or just about anyone else except Rubio?

Yeah, the fall of Jeb has to be viewed in light of the fact that most of the other candidates are either straight unelectable (Trump, Carson) or also doing terribly (Christie, Huckabee, Kasich, etc.).

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Bad moderation is bad, but its not as bad as having the RNC have to come in and soothe the crying field of 10+ presidential candidates who need saving from big bad cnbc.

Just call the moderation team lovely and figure out how to make your candidate look above it. What good does any of this do? There are better and worse places to host the debates but which one of them is going to make a Trump/Carson led shitshow look good? Which one of them is going to not ask any specific policy questions? Why does anyone in the GOP think turning the primary debates into easy mode is a good idea when you're already in a bind with voters?

Why are you beating up the strawman media when your campaigns suck rear end and you are so unprepared this lovely strawman media seems to be tripping you up?

Most of the campaigns are actually happy that the moderation was bad. Christie probably had the best night of his campaign because he got to do his tough guy shtick and attack the moderators. Donald Trump's entire campaign is based on attacking perceived "dummies" and "losers". The complaints of the campaigns were all crocodile tears.

According to a couple of reporters, Reince didn't run this by any of the campaigns before sending that cancellation notice. Had he, they'd probably have tried to stop him.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Obama's foreign policy is ineffective, but that's far better than 'complete, unmitigated disaster that will haunt us for decades'.

in fact id say its the complete, unmitigated disaster that will haunt the us for decades from the previous administration that is making foreign policy so ineffective. americans are feeling a general malaise about the effectiveness of war and the world knows it

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Surely, surely the RNC knows they just told the most influential hispanic news and entertainment network to gently caress off, right?

If they don't fix this fast they might as well give up even bothering trying to get any of the hispanic vote, all they are going to hear for the next several months is the RNC cancelled their debate with the Hispanic audience.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Three Olives posted:

Surely, surely the RNC knows they just told the most influential hispanic news and entertainment network to gently caress off, right?

If they don't fix this fast they might as well give up even bothering trying to get any of the hispanic vote, all they are going to hear for the next several months is the RNC cancelled their debate with the Hispanic audience.

Maybe Jeb! will offer to show up anyway.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Oh my God I just remembered this was after Trump lobbied NBC to change the rules.

Now it looks like even when the candidates write the rules they can't stomach the tough questions.

This is so so so so bad. Why, why why would you ever do this.

fakedit: Reince's tweet about this is full of gifs that pretty much all build on this theme:

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

A Bag of Milk posted:

Am I really in the minority of people who thinks Jeb!! still has a way better chance to secure the nomination than Trump or just about anyone else except Rubio? Because none of this 'gaffe' poo poo matters except as a way to potentially spook some thin skinned donors. But Bush's SuperPAC is loaded and his campaign was recently restructured to be a bit leaner, so he can potentially ride out months of bad press. His poll numbers are low but that could change as other candidates run out of money and are forced to drop out, and especially as other candidates are scrutinized further voters might turn to Bush as the least bad option. Donors already gave truckloads of dough to Right to Rise because they believed Bush was the least bad option. He doesn't have to be a good candidate to get the nomination. Romney signed proto-Obamacare into law, didn't believe that Jesus was God, and said dumb, offputting poo poo every week. The joyful tortoise thing actually isn't the worst potential characterization of what this might turn into.

You still need to be able to convince voters to vote for you. Money helps in that , but you still need to convince people. And no one wants to vote for Jeb because he's loving terrible and unlikable and bad at politics. Romney was also off-putting at times (although much less so to the Republican primary electorate) but at least he could try to make an argument about electability. Jeb doesn't have any credibility in that regard because he's run a horrible campaign and looked loving awful. So he's hardly electable, and no one in the base likes him, and no one in the base agrees with his views, and no amount of money is really going to overcome those two factors. Trump might be unelectable and crazy but at least some part of the base likes and agrees with him.

I think, for Jeb to end up getting the nomination from here, the narrative where that happens has to involve him completely changing everything about his campaigning style and presentation and basically learning to be a good politician. And it's not impossible but there's almost nothing that we've seen to this point that makes it likely.

You know, with a Kasich or a Rubio, you can make an argument about electability. And with a Cruz or a Carson or a Trump, you can appeal to the base. But Jeb can't do either. Ultimately, it's just really drat hard to overcome being a total incompetent fuckhead. And that's what Jeb is.

E: lol avatar

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Joementum posted:

There's a big space open on the Republican side for a realistic critique of the Obama / Clinton foreign policy, which has neither been definable nor particularly effective.

But they're all so wed to the neoconservative fever dream that building a thousand aircraft carriers will somehow deter Putin that they have to resort to name-calling.

Realistic criticism on the Republican side of Obama's foreign policy would no longer be Republican. Are there Republicans with reasonable foreign policy running for President?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Joementum posted:

We're probably in the minority, but I agree with this. Though it's becoming more likely that Jeb!'s slump will lead to one of the second-tier candidates (most likely Cruz) moving up to compete with him and Rubio.

Nah Jeb is done. His current polling doesn't matter except in relation to his previous polling and the narrative that surrounded him. If he was always at his current level then I'd say he was one big move away from breaking out but his decline has doused him in loser stank.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Joementum posted:

Most of the campaigns are actually happy that the moderation was bad. Christie probably had the best night of his campaign because he got to do his tough guy shtick and attack the moderators. Donald Trump's entire campaign is based on attacking perceived "dummies" and "losers". The complaints of the campaigns were all crocodile tears.

According to a couple of reporters, Reince didn't run this by any of the campaigns before sending that cancellation notice. Had he, they'd probably have tried to stop him.

Makes sense. It's the primary equivalent of mitt romneys naacp visit only they get to be even more open with the hostility.

I guess I just underestimate the value of showing Iowans that you also hate news that dabbles in fact.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
I guess at least they dropped this dramabomb on a Friday.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

It's a good move by Reese's Pieces. It's a shot at dropping some debates, and all these debates do is show why these people shouldn't be president.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Is prince rebius sabotaging the campaigns?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Oh my God I just remembered this was after Trump lobbied NBC to change the rules.

Now it looks like even when the candidates write the rules they can't stomach the tough questions.

This is so so so so bad. Why, why why would you ever do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnosjQ9eBeA

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Sounds like Reince is trying to save his job.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

They could always do it on http://www.oann.com/

One America News Chanel

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Joementum posted:

The thing is Jeb has very little going for him at his point besides a loaded superPAC. He has a decent number of endorsements but they are starting to dry up. He has sky high unfavorables. He is not particularly charismatic, and hes a terrible debater. The media narrative is being incredibly negative towards him at his point. And most importantly, the guy just doesn't perform well under pressure. I dont see any way for him to pick up any steam

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Also :lol: at thought of a GOP debate on Telemundo

Please at least keep that

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
As a reminder, the Democratic debate started with this softball:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ler8JkIZJkA

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Joementum posted:

I have to think he'll keep floundering along for longer than most here will credit him, but lord I never could have imagined Jeb!'d be this bad a campaigner.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy posted:

"Welcome to the True Conservative Debate, with your host Rush Limbaugh." :unsmigghh:

El Rushbo, Master Shake and Hannity for the main debate

with Glenn Beck, Matt Drudge (in shadow) and Alex Jones for the kiddie table

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

babypolis posted:

The thing is Jeb has very little going for him at his point besides a loaded superPAC. He has a decent number of endorsements but they are starting to dry up. He has sky high unfavorables. He is not particularly charismatic, and hes a terrible debater. The media narrative is being incredibly negative towards him at his point. And most importantly, the guy just doesn't perform well under pressure. I dont see any way for him to pick up any steam

So he "only" has piles of money, the biggest organization, and a bunch of endorsements, but is stiff and unliked by the media?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
If the Republicans want to start kicking out all forms of LIBERAL MAINSTREAM MEDIA for their debates, I'm all for it. The further into their echochamber they go the weaker they are for the general :getin:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Also :lol: at thought of a GOP debate on Telemundo

Please at least keep that

Ramos: Señor Trump, you cannot eject me from my own debate!
Trump: Watch me, Jorge! Take this loser back to Mexico!
Ramos: Actually I'm an American citi..........

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Joementum posted:

So he "only" has piles of money, the biggest organization, and a bunch of endorsements, but is stiff and unliked by the media?

Jeb is way stiffer and less presidential and more poo poo than Mitt, honestly.

Also, I would suspect he has fewer endorsements? But I don't have any factual basis for saying that

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

I should really get around to watching this lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Necc0 posted:

I should really get around to watching this lol