Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TTerrible posted:

It's up and running.

I've pledged for the Commander level, I don't think I want two starter sets just to get a limited edition cruiser.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hawkwargames/dropfleet-commander

EDIT: It's already over half way funded and it's been up less than ten minutes. :psyduck:

If it had been 1 Starter set of every faction I'd have gone straight for Captain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I love how many options you can build with the starter so going for 2 seems like a solid option.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
The pledge levels are poo poo. It's made our gaming groups buy in not as easy as I hoped. Oh well in at Captain and will have to buy a load of bolt ons

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
A lot of the comments are asking for Captain pledgers to be able to swap out the second boxed set for two fleets of their choice - but that still leaves the second rulebook + markers, etc hanging. Difficult!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Think I'm going to back at the Lieutenant level. Going to have to wait til next payday though. Still, by that time there should be plenty of bonus poo poo unlocked.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I've just upped from Commander to Captain as a friend wants a starter set. Dependong on how flooded eBay is, might be able to make some more cash back selling the KS limited thing.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm leaning towards Captain because of how many options are going to be in the kits. I don't know what the standard fleet size will be, but I'm guessing the starter sets are going to be good ways to expand considering how many options are in there. I'm just not particularly interested in having a bunch of Scourge ships I won't use. There are ways around that though.

I'm holding off for now to wait and see what the stretch goals and bolt-ons end up expanding to. It'll be a little interesting to see what they set them at considering how quickly it's been funded. I'm hoping for some PHR though they haven't been shown at all yet. Hawk has mentioned they're going to rely on stealth and broadsides and that's pretty much all that's known.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I went for Captain. I'd meant to go for Admiral but drat, sold out in under an hour!

If it's like Battlefleet Gothic then extra cruiser variants will not go amiss. I'd like to be able to swap the second box if Hawk add that option, but I won't feel like I'm losing out on anything if I end up with double UCM/Scourge.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Pash posted:

I love how many options you can build with the starter so going for 2 seems like a solid option.

Thanks for mentioning that, I don't regret having to go for the Captain level so much now.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Gonna go for the 2 player starter set. I don't expect this to be too popular at my local shop so it would be nice to be able to bust out two fleets and see if I can rope people into playing/shop owner to stock models

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Loxbourne posted:

I went for Captain. I'd meant to go for Admiral but drat, sold out in under an hour!

If it's like Battlefleet Gothic then extra cruiser variants will not go amiss. I'd like to be able to swap the second box if Hawk add that option, but I won't feel like I'm losing out on anything if I end up with double UCM/Scourge.

Haha, it was gone in like 15 minutes actually.

krushgroove posted:

Thanks for mentioning that, I don't regret having to go for the Captain level so much now.

Ya, Seriously there are like 9 options for how to build your cruisers...

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
now they're twice funded, i wonder if that's already enough for the other two factions then :v:

I'll go to my first tournament tomorrow and ask my scourge buddy who'll also be there if he wants to split a captain level.

And just in time my Ferrum is finally finished:

Edit:
The first BoW video is up too, gonna watch it now so i can't comment on the quality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLDc-iWib48

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 30, 2015

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Laser Lenin approves of hobo murder simulators.
Went for the captain level; I tell myself that it's cause the cruisers and frigates are modular and I bet both make up the backbone of most fleets so having the ability to make extra variants will be very useful......

But I did really want that battlecruiser as well.......

I will totally grab a Shaltari starter set it they make one as well, maybe even a PHR one as well.

The bases look to have dials on them, which should cut down some on the token clutter these games always need. Hooray.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
The kickstarter just updated with another 50 Admiral spots, if you missed the first ones!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Apparently the first fleet unlock was a plastic Shaltari starter fleet at £130,000 or just over $200,000. They're already past $150,000.

Here's a frigate:

And a cruiser I posted earlier:

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
The admiral tier looks like a bad deal unless I'm missing something really significant. It has:

Captain tier - $168
One of each starter army - $50/per times 3-5? armies. So $150-250
One of each add-on - ???
Beta access

Unless the addons come to > $350 you're better off going captain and buying the extras piecemeal, unless you're ascribing a high value to getting early access to the rules when there are no ships available to play them with.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
the significant thing is that you and a guest get to go to an in-person beta day event thing

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Admiral will get better as stuff unlocks and is added. If the kickstarter struggled that might not be the case but then higher pledges are often of dubious value imo. Even if I had a spare 500 quid I would think twice about dropping so much!

If it is 130k for Shaltari I'm really wondering what PHR will be. I suspect numbers are scaling to demand a bit. It was two races for 40k to begin with! ;)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Once they reveal the PRH I'll pledge for captain level. I imagine they're holding that one in last because of how popular the regular PHR line has become. People love their cured space sheeps

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Bistromatic posted:

the significant thing is that you and a guest get to go to an in-person beta day event thing

That would be more of a draw, except I have yet to ever see one of those events occur less than a thousand miles away from me. TBA locations inevitably wind up with announcements ending in something like "...in beautiful Seattle!" or "...somewhere in the middle of Connecticut!".

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Where are the stretch goals posted?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Pierzak posted:

Where are the stretch goals posted?

They posted these in the unlocks section of the kickstarter:

£40k - Goal Reached
£70k - Race Pins (Bolt-on)
£100k - Hostile Map Set (Bolt-on)
£110k - Faction dice (Bolt-on)
£130k - SHALTARI PLASTIC STARTER SET UNLOCKS (Bolt-on)
£140k - Acrylic Tokens (Bolt-on)
£150k - 1 Free Scourge Cruiser Sprue (1 cruiser with all upgrades) (All backers) + 1 Free Scourge Frigate Sprue (4 frigates) (High Rank Backers)

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Aaaand there goes 130k and the Shaltari unlock! :D

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Space grognards in the KS comments are getting really salty about the unlocks. Jesus.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Where are the PHR god damnit Hawk :argh:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I never post or read the KS comments, they can be as bad as YouTube comments. I'm a KS hipster I guess, I'm happy with what I actually pledge for and the extras are, well...extras,and I'm happy to get them.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
I've had to come to terms with the fact that I'm a grog at heart. I'm waiting to hear how they handle movement and orbital mechanics, because while I like the idea of orbital rather than deep-space conflict I'm going to have a real problem with immersion if the ships maneuver the way they would in a typical space battle game.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The comments were mostly gushing with praise when I last looked. I think I won't hit refresh though.

I imagine we'll see PHR soon enough. This thing smashed Hawk's funding goals in seconds, so they're probably scrambling to reset all the pledge levels.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

I like the cruisers a lot, not really positive on the frigates though. I like how they appear to have a separate type of ship for troop transports though.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

TTerrible posted:

Space grognards in the KS comments are getting really salty about the unlocks. Jesus.

Apparently people take the unlock numbers literally and think that hawk are claiming that it costs thousands of pounds to offer pin badges that are a separate purchase. They also seem to be missing the point that the onky pledge they will appear in is the admiral level which is probably sold out again by now.

Hopefully they will recognise that free models are starting to unlock for every pledge.

I'm not sure yet if it is going to be better to make a smaller solo pledge or lump in with Grey to start splitting boxes. The larger pledges are getting free frigates as well as the cruisers... Hmm...

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

krushgroove posted:

I never post or read the KS comments, they can be as bad as YouTube comments. I'm a KS hipster I guess, I'm happy with what I actually pledge for and the extras are, well...extras,and I'm happy to get them.

You are a better person than I. The comments make me weep.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Hawk have posted a second update basically saying yeah, they've been totally overwhelmed by the incredible pace of pledges and are recalibrating their unlocks. They've confirmed that the PHR are virtually certain to have been unlocked by now.

I twitch a little at the three Shaltari cruisers though. I was hoping they'd get 7-8 playable classes like the UCM and Scourge - anyone else getting flashbacks to Battlefleet Gothic's Eldar and Orc fleets? Those eventually got filled out after release, but on launch they were pitiful.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Loxbourne posted:

Hawk have posted a second update basically saying yeah, they've been totally overwhelmed by the incredible pace of pledges and are recalibrating their unlocks. They've confirmed that the PHR are virtually certain to have been unlocked by now.

I twitch a little at the three Shaltari cruisers though. I was hoping they'd get 7-8 playable classes like the UCM and Scourge - anyone else getting flashbacks to Battlefleet Gothic's Eldar and Orc fleets? Those eventually got filled out after release, but on launch they were pitiful.
I'm reasonably sure those aren't the only three that can be built. From what I remember, the Shaltari and PHR fleets aren't nearly as finalized as the UCM and Scourge so this may just be renders of what's ready to show. I wouldn't worry about it too much right now, but it may be something to keep in mind if nothing else turns up.

Also, PHR are coming :woop:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
PHR fleet spotted:

:dong:

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
drat you Bulbasaur, you had my hopes up for a minute there.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
So far I've got the extra Scourge sprues free. I want to play UCM :argh:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Safety Factor posted:

I'm reasonably sure those aren't the only three that can be built. From what I remember, the Shaltari and PHR fleets aren't nearly as finalized as the UCM and Scourge so this may just be renders of what's ready to show. I wouldn't worry about it too much right now, but it may be something to keep in mind if nothing else turns up.

Also, PHR are coming :woop:

This, basically. Hawk are nowhere near as far along with Shaltari/PHR as they are the UCM/Scourge. I honestly think they were nervous that they wouldn't raise enough money and wanted the core pledge looking nicely fleshed out. There have been a lot of spaceship games coming out lately, it was a real risk that they would be stuck in a market niche without the big brand names like Star Wars and Halo to shift product for them.

Turns out people are really, really into this! I was hoping for a hit but that number is racking up faster than I thought! The Hawk guys are probably in shock right now, I can see all hands being in the office first thing tomorrow.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Hawk guy: "Ummmm, so i guess we need to finish PHR."

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I get being humble but I'm honestly surprised that anyone's surprised that this has had an explosive start. It has Andy Chambers at the helm, of course it'll have good traction. People have been desperate for a BFG successor/more BFG in whatever form and every bit of news released since the original announcement has just got people more and more interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I was surprised Hawk set the funding barrier so low, actually. Then again there's "we'll probably see a successful Kickstarter" and then there's "holy poo poo it funded in 15 minutes and people are still throwing money at us! What is this, Star Citizen?" level.

I'm certainly happy for Hawk, and I hope all this money gets used to pay everyone, put the company on a solid financial footing, and give us lots and lots and lots of Dropfleet loot.