Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Remember how the whole thing about Super Fumina in BFT was about how creepy it was and and how embarrassed Fumina was over it?

...It's gonna fly off the shelves, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Well Manicured Man posted:

It's going to fly off the shelves. :(

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

As someone who never watched Build Fighters Try, what's the story behind Super Fumina?

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

As someone who never watched Build Fighters Try, what's the story behind Super Fumina?

A Gunpla kid with a crush made a doll with armor in the likeness of his crush. She was exactly as creeped out as expected.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Missing Link posted:

A Gunpla kid with a crush made a doll with armor in the likeness of his crush. She was exactly as creeped out as expected.

In fact, pretty much everyone was creeped out and told him that making it without her consent was not cool at all, so he loses the big builder's championship he was trying to win.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Remember how the whole thing about Super Fumina in BFT was about how creepy it was and and how embarrassed Fumina was over it?

hlj has/had it on order stop. i kinda hope they try more MS Girl kits, it's a cool idea

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

The Gunpla Shingyo school of builders in GBF tend to be fantastic artists who are also ridiculously goony around women. Sakai, the Shingyo heir in Try, took it to the next level.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

dogsicle posted:

hlj has/had it on order stop. i kinda hope they try more MS Girl kits, it's a cool idea

No, it's not, it's loving creepy.

Started planning the paint job on the GM Space Command (finally). The good news is that I'll be able to paint a lot before attaching things. The only parts I'll need plastic cement for are the torso, the gun, and the things that go around the foot. I'll be able to paint the red sticker details in purple before attaching anything, too, I think. Tonight and Friday night I'm going to prime everything I can and let it cure for a day or two (does Vallejo primer need that long to cure?); then after Halloween when I've gotten the cement and putty I'll be able to start work on the few bits that need to be cemented together. It'll be ready in less than a week. =)

Also, how much prep do I need to be doing for the models? Reading up, I see a lot of people recommend washing with soapy water and scrubbing with a toothbrush, but those were guides I found for miniatures. I haven't found anyone talking about an equivalent process with Gunpla - should I do such out of an abundance of caution?

Electric Lady fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 29, 2015

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The Missing Link posted:

I saw a still of it from Gundam Guy and for some reason I thought it was just a silly costume she put together and wore.

Yeah. :stare:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Yeah!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

John Quixote posted:

No, it's not, it's loving creepy.

Embrace the moe.

quote:

Also, how much prep do I need to be doing for the models? Reading up, I see a lot of people recommend washing with soapy water and scrubbing with a toothbrush, but those were guides I found for miniatures. I haven't found anyone talking about an equivalent process with Gunpla - should I do such out of an abundance of caution?

You might hear people talking about doing that to get rid of mold release, but basically anything Bandai makes nowadays shouldn't have that problem. What you actually might want to wash your parts for is to get rid of fingerprints/skin oil, which can mess up paint jobs/decal application. If you're priming that shouldn't be much of an issue either though, unless you sweat like a madman.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

boom boom boom posted:

Did anybody know that Super Fumina is huge?

I'll buy 3 so I can mod the other 2 into Gyanko and Shia. I have no shame.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Metal Build Astraea Type F was revealed. The Exias will never end.

Also I know, I know, it's Gundam Guy so the standards are rock bottom but

Why would you even write this

when you have a picture that straight up says it's display only?

they're not even called wings of light

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

The Missing Link posted:

This sounds like the gooniest thing ever. I saw it in BF Try and was gobsmacked when they figured "hey guys this made our female lead feel utterly violated, let's mass-produce it."

Bandai's gonna run out of plastic in Japan keeping up with demand. D:

Did anyone else see that Giant Robo at the Tamashii Nations show? Not a kit but loving GIANT ROBO

MJP fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 29, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm just amazed that of all the forms to announce RD Impulse with,

Bandai picked Blast. Did they finally remember it existed???

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

BlitzBlast posted:

Sell this one now, so you can sell the popular packs for a big markup. :shepface:

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

John Quixote posted:

I wash my pieces parts after I'm done gluing and sanding to get all the dust and crap off, clean out panel lines, etc. Outside of that, unless you get them all oily and greasy yourself during assembly, there isn't much of a point.

Resin, on the other hand....

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Ok, I want to get into airbrush painting and need some suggestions. I'd rather just get a really good setup to start off with than do a starter kit that I'll grow out of. Price isn't really an issue, but keeping it reasonable would be great.

What do I get? What kind of paints do I use? I notice that the manuals often have color suggestions and it would be great to use official
colors or something as close as possible. The thing that worries me is that I love that the models come colored already and I'm scared of painting on a color that doesn't look as good. That's probably irrational on my end though.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

MG Blast Impulse, coming in 2020.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BlitzBlast posted:

Metal Build Astraea Type F was revealed. The Exias will never end.

Also I know, I know, it's Gundam Guy so the standards are rock bottom but

Why would you even write this

when you have a picture that straight up says it's display only?

they're not even called wings of light

Display only mean that it's only for display, it won't actually provide any propulsion to the toy.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

MG Blast Impulse, coming in 2020.

MG Blast Impulse is guaranteed to be P-Bandai (completely missed the release window, unpopular, mostly a color swap, symmetrical design) and I would be completely okay with that as long as it means it just comes out already, god drat.

Which, now that I think about it, is the basic purpose of P-Bandai anyways. :v:

I actually have a resin Blast Silhouette conversion kit sitting around, but it kind of sucks and doesn't have the spear.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
We finally get a toy of this, and it's an expensive add-on to an expensive action figure instead of a HG kit?! F U Bandai!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
GOOhNs own.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

GOOhNs own.

That's the Astray Red Frame Salvage Unit.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
First 2 coats of primer. This is my first time doing any kind of model painting so my technique is atrocious.

The first pieces I primed with the first layer of primer. Kind of tough to apply it evenly on the textured plastic of the foot-bottom, especially with my cheaper brushes. (First thing I learned: Invest in some decent brushes in the near future.) I was worried how much the second layer was going to cover at this point.

Here are the larger bits after 2 layers. They certainly look a lot better, though I'm likely going to put one more layer on the pieces on this side, especially the foot bottoms and shield. The cross strokes definitely helped mitigate the brush marks, though they're still quite obvious in person...hopefully they won't be so obvious after the actual paint goes on.

I think these are good after two layers. The white parts here I only put one layer on, because I'm only painting the "exhaust" bits yellow. I put two layers on the exhaust bits on the grey part, though.

After I apply the last layer of primer (maybe tomorrow morning, maybe after I get home from work), then it'll just be a couple of days wait until I can paint these parts and also seam weld the torso/gun/anklets before painting them. I'm certainly feeling a lot better about taking brushes to the Gunpla.

Electric Lady fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 30, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

We finally get a toy of this, and it's an expensive add-on to an expensive action figure instead of a HG kit?! F U Bandai!

If by expensive add-on you mean "you literally can't buy this, it's just a prop" then sure. :v:

For the first time ever I ran into a molding mistake on a Bandai kit. The waist on my MG 00R Art of Gundam Clear had a slot too far down, so I couldn't actually click in the waist armor. There was still a ball peg so it could kind of loosely sit in there, but I screwed up tightening it and ended up having to replace it with a spare ball peg I had lying around. :negative:

On the plus side now I'm glad I got all those spare joints.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

unpurposed posted:

Ok, I want to get into airbrush painting and need some suggestions. I'd rather just get a really good setup to start off with than do a starter kit that I'll grow out of. Price isn't really an issue, but keeping it reasonable would be great.

What do I get? What kind of paints do I use? I notice that the manuals often have color suggestions and it would be great to use official
colors or something as close as possible. The thing that worries me is that I love that the models come colored already and I'm scared of painting on a color that doesn't look as good. That's probably irrational on my end though.

I highly suggest overriding your instinct to get a starter kit and drop $46 on this, if for no other reason than to learn the basics: http://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbru...+and+compressor

You'll be able to sell it later, probably even in this thread. It has a perfectly good double-action gravity fed airbrush, which is an Iwata clone, and works great.

I like Vallejo. Tamiya is good too. You will need Vallejo airbrush thinner or Tamiya acrylic thinner, and maybe also some flow improver if you use Vallejo - it likes to dry on the needle.

For Vallejo, it's 2 drops of thinner and 2 drops of improver per 10 drops of paint.

There are plenty of color-matching sites out there that compare the Gunze Sangyo colors from translated manuals to their rough equivalents available to Americans.

I mean, you could also just buy Gunze paints - the Mr. Color line - and Mr. Leveling Thinner and be set right off the bat, but my opinion is that the less MEK one's exposed to the better. In theory you can do acrylic airbrushing inside with just a cracked window or something.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

MJP posted:

I highly suggest overriding your instinct to get a starter kit and drop $46 on this, if for no other reason than to learn the basics: http://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbru...+and+compressor

I got all excited at the prospect of there being a cheap actual airbrush + compressor combo on Amazon, and then I looked at the price where I am:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Airbrush-VC16-B22-Airbrushing-KIT-VC16-Compressor-/dp/B0149I1PFC/

Literally three times the price.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

unpurposed posted:

You might also check out local hobby and art supply stores to see what brands they stock. When something breaks you can run out, grab a spare part, and be back in business in an hour rather than waiting a week for a mail order to come in.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Well anyone who wanted Soul of Chogokin Star GaoGaiGar has been officially hosed over: http://p-bandai.jp/item/item-1000100291/

Almost 20,000 yen. What a rip-off.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

So basically the same poo poo they pulled with SoC Big O.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I got all excited at the prospect of there being a cheap actual airbrush + compressor combo on Amazon, and then I looked at the price where I am:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Airbrush-VC16-B22-Airbrushing-KIT-VC16-Compressor-/dp/B0149I1PFC/

Literally three times the price.

They should have made it red.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm building the pg strike rouge. I haven't built a pg in over a decade. It's a lot of fun, but I just finished building the mg f-91 and the size difference takes some getting used to.

I can see all the lovely details on the inner frame that I can't wait to paint.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Is the RG MkII's head supposed to be this floppy?

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
:siren: My Gouf Custom and my brother's Denial Gundam just got here 2 weeks earlier than expected!! :siren:

Also the Craigslist person is willing to sell the RG 00 Raiser for $20. Gonna try to get a hold of them tomorrow. Hope they're not a flake.

A wonderful day for gunpla indeed~!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

unpurposed posted:

Get spoons, so many spoons! Test spray paint you want to use to learn how to thin it. It took me awhile to learn thinning correctly. I would get a box of like 100 spoons or something and just use that whole box in a session and then review how I did. You can get a box of spoons for like 2 bux.

Spraying on spoons is just to get a handle on how to spray, paint goes on 9001% better on primer than the spoon.

Spoons and cleaning, best things to learn when starting.

Remember to save all spoons! Well save all the ones that look good, trash the rest.

Then when you have alot of spoons that are painted, get some dullcote and gloss. Practice spraying top coats, see how they change the surface.

Save all your gloss coated spoons and learn decals on them!
cheap dry transfers
You can also find the water decals cheap as poo poo too, just search for train model ones.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 31, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So, lucky folks who have a Graze, how's the stability? Those small feet and great big butt-shields don't look promising.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
I really like the design for Gyan. I just want to confirm that it's a good build. http://www.amazon.ca/Gundam-Seed-Destiny-Model-japan/dp/B000F8MIHK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446339028&sr=8-1&keywords=mg+gyan *I love the irony of it being listed as being from Seed Destiny.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Mad Lupine posted:

I really like the design for Gyan. I just want to confirm that it's a good build. http://www.amazon.ca/Gundam-Seed-Destiny-Model-japan/dp/B000F8MIHK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446339028&sr=8-1&keywords=mg+gyan *I love the irony of it being listed as being from Seed Destiny.

It's a pretty fun build yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Sadly we never got a GYAN.

Bandai tends to put out all the stops when it comes to OYW stuff. If there's a MG of it, it's probably great!