Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sleeveless posted:

Still watching South Park is even sadder than still watching The Simpsons at this point.

That's a ludicrous statement when they're coming off one of their strongest seasons last year, and trying something new this year that's working really well in some episodes. The Simpsons is literally just the same old tired poo poo with one or two not awful jokes been the monotony.

Oh no, Homer and Marge's marriage is in trouble. There's no way that'll be resolved in 15 minutes time like it has been the last 40 loving times they've done this. You can't compare the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

10 minutes in on the right side of the screen you'll see a sound guy with a boom almost completely in frame (apparently I remembered it wrongly, wasn't a camera crew).

Thanks, will have to check that out.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

zoux posted:

I can't remember was Angel on UPN or the WB?

Angel stayed on the WB even after Buffy left, and also aired an additional season after Buffy ended that included appearances by Buffy characters, most notably Spike. Which pretty much fulfills the post-cancellation cross-network crossover question being asked.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Munch does not work as Homicide and Law and Order were on NBC. So there was never any cross character post cancellation.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hcreight posted:

Angel stayed on the WB even after Buffy left, and also aired an additional season after Buffy ended that included appearances by Buffy characters, most notably Spike. Which pretty much fulfills the post-cancellation cross-network crossover question being asked.

I'll begrudgingly permit it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

pentyne posted:

Anyone who's given up on Supernatural, which I don't blame you it's been a mixed bag for years, the new season has been shockingly good so far. The most recent episode is easily one of the best they've ever done in 11 years and the previous 3 three were much better in general then the show's been for quite some time. You can jump right in and figure out what's going on without too much trouble, there's very little from the past 4-5 seasons that's super relevant that doesn't get explained in the season opener's "previously on"

Is the Dean/Sam "I wish I knew how to quit you" crap still an albatross around the show's neck? Is it still essentially the Crowley/Castiel show? I'm not saying these are dealbreakers I'm just curious.

EL BROMANCE posted:

You can't compare the two.

You really kind-of can, you just don't want to. Experimenting with mutli-episode arcs and jokes while still working them around the ol' "takedown of the week" formula--which they were lampooning themselves 10+ years ago--isn't exactly setting the world on fire. I can respect it a lot more than latter-day Simpsons because the show is still showing evolution, but that's damning with faint praise. Not pulling the trigger with "You're Getting Old" was the final nail in the coffin and if anything Zombie-Park isn't going far enough with experimentation.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Speaking of, I suspect that one of the reasons why the CW didn't want to pick up Constantine was because of Castiel.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

pentyne posted:

Anyone who's given up on Supernatural, which I don't blame you it's been a mixed bag for years, the new season has been shockingly good so far. The most recent episode is easily one of the best they've ever done in 11 years and the previous 3 three were much better in general then the show's been for quite some time. You can jump right in and figure out what's going on without too much trouble, there's very little from the past 4-5 seasons that's super relevant that doesn't get explained in the season opener's "previously on"

While channel-hopping I caught the phone conversation with Castiel in the car. They had some fun with that, felt like they were purposefully going for shlockier effects than the last time I watched the show (when everything was over-the-top Helldrama). Is that an overall style change or as a Halloween nod to old horror movies with zero budget?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seems legit.

Also yesterdays episode of Supernatural was pretty loving great. Love a good bottle episode, and this was up there.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

zoux posted:

Speaking of, I suspect that one of the reasons why the CW didn't want to pick up Constantine was because of Castiel.

Basically two major things doomed Constantine from the start:

* Constantine/Hellblazer needs room to stretch out its horror legs, and network TV was never going to be the place to do that. "But Hannibal but Hannibal"-- yes Hannibal existed but it got shuffled off to pasture and survived almost solely on critical heat, something a DC adaptation was never likely to get (not even because of critical biases, but because no one was going to allocate the same resources in budget/talent as something based off of one of the Academy Awards' biggest sweepers).

* So much of Constantine's schtick (a lot of which wasn't unique to him to begin with)-- the rear end in a top hat antihero who ruins everyone's lives in pursuit of his job, the low-rent approach to the supernatural, the combination of anthology and serial characters, the look appropriated by Castiel (as you mention)-- has been appropriated by other genre works and in television most prominently on the CW/WB with Buffy/Supernatural.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

bobkatt013 posted:

Munch does not work as Homicide and Law and Order were on NBC. So there was never any cross character post cancellation.

Sure, but Munch (the character) showed up on a ton of other shows on multiple networks. Like Arrested Development.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Munch#Appearances_and_crossovers

quote:

Law & Order—four episodes: "Charm City," "Baby, It's You" (part 1), "Sideshow (Part 1)," and "Entitled (Part 2)"
Arrested Development—one episode: "Exit Strategy"
The X-Files—one episode: "Unusual Suspects"
The Beat—one episode: "They Say It's Your Birthday"
Law & Order: Trial by Jury—one episode: "Skeleton (Part 2)"
The Wire—one episode: "Took"
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt—one episode: "Kimmy Goes to the Doctor!"

I took out the "Munch inspired appearances".

Munch makes the Tommy Westphall theory a bit easier.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 29, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

thrawn527 posted:

Sure, but Munch (the character) showed up on a ton of other shows on multiple networks. Like Arrested Development.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Munch#Appearances_and_crossovers

I took out the "Munch inspired appearances".

Yeah but he was still on Law and Order SVU, so his show was cancelled but it was still a spin off

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

pentyne posted:

I still haven't watched season 10. I never thought the show got completely awful, but it was so goddamn formulaic in the completely wrong direction. Like the original point of the show was to have a couple of fun bros going around hunting monsters, but then it just turned into a million different variations of "I no longer trust you, Dean" and "I'm fine, Sam (HE'S NOT FINE)". When it got to the point where they literally could not be in the same room together, it became way too self-serious which was never something it did well. Also why the gently caress did Castiel never become a permanent member of the group, they always had to make up some excuse why he couldn't be around Sam & Dean all the time, it's a bummer.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

pentyne posted:

Good to know, i've got to catch up on the rest of this season after watching the premiere and to be honest it was a bit of a disappointment compared to last season's finale.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Junkenstein posted:

If your first record was on vinyl, you're Gen X; if it was on CD, you're a Millenial. If it was on a cassette, you're in the demilitarised zone.

Mine was on vinyl and I got it in 1968. What does that make me? (Besides old of course)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Junkenstein posted:

If your first record was on vinyl, you're Gen X; if it was on CD, you're a Millenial. If it was on a cassette, you're in the demilitarised zone.

I'm a millenial and it was cassettes. my parents bought a lot of audiobooks on cassette that I listened to before sleeping. my favorite one was Macbeth, it was spooky as heck

edit: they looked something like this:

goddamn the memories resurfacing.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 30, 2015

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
My first record was Bob Seger's Stranger in Town.

On vinyl.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

It also helped that my parents had a sweet turntable and audio system in the basement, and pretty much every single popular album from the 60's and 70's.

I grew up on Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones, King Crimson, the Beatles, Queen, The Who, the Allman Brothers, the Eagles, Deep Purple, Procul Harum, Jefferson Airplane, AC/DC, Skynyrd, ELO, Steve Miller Band, Three Dog Night, the Doors, Carlos Santana and Creedence.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

I'm a millenial and it was cassettes. my parents bought a lot of audiobooks on cassette that I listened to before sleeping. my favorite one was Macbeth, it was spooky as heck

My brother and I once put a Black Sabbath cassette in a Teddy Ruxpin doll. Blew our fuckin' minds.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Kurtofan posted:

That doesn't count, it's the first album you bought for yourself.

I mean that's like me counting my parents buying the Chipmunks xmas LP.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

IRQ posted:

That doesn't count, it's the first album you bought for yourself.

I mean that's like me counting my parents buying the Chipmunks xmas LP.

oh.

then cd yeah.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I have a better idea, how about we stop identifying so strongly with the media that we consume that we're drawing lines in the sand based on media formats.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The first albums I bought for myself, all on the same day, were Thriller, the Ghostbusters soundtrack, and DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince's "He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper"

I believe the next time I went to the tape store I got Tougher Than Leather, Dire Straits' Making Movies, and Iron Maiden's... Powerslave, I think?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
all you idiots shut up and look at the newest hit tv show of the year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS9edSMPlPI

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sleeveless posted:

I have a better idea, how about we stop identifying so strongly with the media that we consume that we're drawing lines in the sand based on media formats.

I don't think anyone here is doing that, just having a nice discussion, wait, that name seems familiar.

Sleeveless posted:

Still watching South Park is even sadder than still watching The Simpsons at this point.

Oh right, this guy.

I have a better idea, how about we stop identifying so strongly with the media that we consume that we're drawing lines in the sand based on media formats show longevity.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Real quick: according to my cable box, Starz is doing a special showing of Ash vs. Evil Dead tomorrow night (Halloween Eve) at 12:17 AM, immediately following a marathon of the trilogy.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
SOLD!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mine says that too, which is weird because there was no mention of it when I saw a commercial for the marathon last week before da Vinci's Demons.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

muscles like this? posted:

Mine says that too, which is weird because there was no mention of it when I saw a commercial for the marathon last week before da Vinci's Demons.

They probably want it to be as much of a surprise as it could be -- a special treat for the faithful -- given that the official premiere is still Saturday night.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I wonder if that'll hurt the ratings at all, since most people watching it are pretty internet savvy.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

On the topic of ratings, the U-Verse app asks you to agree to Nielsen info gathering which I ofc have never dreamed of saying no to. Can anyone speak with authority to the effectiveness of my throwing it on for programs I enjoy simply for the reason that it ostensibly is being counted? Do these alternate viewing method metrics matter in the small or big picture?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy poo poo. I'm positive that I sound like I'm repeating myself, but tonight's new Nathan For You was simply incredible. These schemes just keep getting more and more ridiculous and hilarious.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He can't possibly keep doing these after this season though. Everyone will know him.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Just like there is an unlimited supply of terrible restaurant managers for Gordon Ramsey to swear at, so too will there be an unlimited supply of not too savvy business owners in need of Nathan's help.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
That or it will be like the Daily Show where people know that they're being made fun of but they're willing to play along if it means getting a national television audience.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hey guys, I made a thread to livepost the Bob Ross marathon: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749168

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Josh Lyman posted:

Hey guys, I made a thread to livepost the Bob Ross marathon: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749168

Well this is wonderful.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I forgot Crazy Ex-Girlfriend premiered until I saw Rachel Bloom posting clips on her YouTube page. Watching it on Hulu now, it seemed pretty standard and boring before the first song, and then it ramped up to amazing and I am loving it.

Someone please tell me this good feeling keeps going.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Jamesman posted:

I forgot Crazy Ex-Girlfriend premiered until I saw Rachel Bloom posting clips on her YouTube page. Watching it on Hulu now, it seemed pretty standard and boring before the first song, and then it ramped up to amazing and I am loving it.

Someone please tell me this good feeling keeps going.
Yes, keep going you fool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

He can't possibly keep doing these after this season though. Everyone will know him.

people who know whats going on will still react naturally

• Locked thread