Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

meh this is actually a solid point, but it's a lot of words invested in saying that 'advanced stats don't tell us anything about why teams are good or bad'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Click for full-size saltiness.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Brony Car posted:

Lol, this is fantastic.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
He is right. It's a poo poo meme.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Brony Car posted:

lmao yes

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

straight up brolic posted:

meh this is actually a solid point, but it's a lot of words invested in saying that 'advanced stats don't tell us anything about why teams are good or bad'

Looking at lots of shots by lots of teams across lots of leagues provides a good idea of how things tend to work. The best teams consistently get more shots on target than their opponents. How many of those shots end up in the back of the net can vary wildly from game to game, but by the end of the season, the teams that win the shots-on-target battles tend to win the points battles as well. Using expected goals gets us to the same place, with the added wrinkles of how likely it is for various types of shots to be scored. To put it simply: A player rounding the keeper gets a higher-percentage chance of turning his shot into a goal than a player attempting a contested header from the same exact location. Expected goals helps show which teams can augment their shots-on-target edge by taking higher-percentage shots and conceding lower-percentage ones. Come season’s end, most teams will end up close to where their averages suggest they should be.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Brony Car posted:

I'd pretend this is me but I ain't gona pretend my name is Richard.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

Looking at lots of shots by lots of teams across lots of leagues provides a good idea of how things tend to work. The best teams consistently get more shots on target than their opponents. How many of those shots end up in the back of the net can vary wildly from game to game, but by the end of the season, the teams that win the shots-on-target battles tend to win the points battles as well. Using expected goals gets us to the same place, with the added wrinkles of how likely it is for various types of shots to be scored. To put it simply: A player rounding the keeper gets a higher-percentage chance of turning his shot into a goal than a player attempting a contested header from the same exact location. Expected goals helps show which teams can augment their shots-on-target edge by taking higher-percentage shots and conceding lower-percentage ones. Come season’s end, most teams will end up close to where their averages suggest they should be.
this is actually true, too, but the point of the article is that it's all loving worthless, because you can't figure out why/if the teams that shoot a lot and are poo poo (like liverpool) or the teams that don't shoot much, but score a lot (like United in the last season under Ferguson) are good.

because you can't tell if it's random or something that they're actually doing, football statistics are actually mostly worthless right now.

He just says it like a oval office and is clearly 'pro-data' or whatever so it reads like a jerk off piece, which it is. This is the right place to put it, but the article itself is one of like the only close to accurate things he's ever written.

e: and it's hilarious that it's taken him this long to arrive at that fairly obvious destination

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 21, 2015

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

straight up brolic posted:

this is actually true, too, but the point of the article is that it's all loving worthless, because you can't figure out why/if the teams that shoot a lot and are poo poo (like liverpool) or the teams that don't shoot much, but score a lot (like United in the last season under Ferguson) are good.

The point of the article is that because you can't tell if it's random or something that they're actually doing, football statistics are actually mostly worthless right now.

He just says it like a oval office and is clearly 'pro-data' or whatever so it reads like a jerk off piece, which it is. This is the right place to put it, but the article itself is one of like the only close to accurate things he's ever written.

e: and it's hilarious that it's taken him this long to arrive at that fairly obvious destination

He's a retard and should be fuckin gassed for sure

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Brony Car posted:

What the gently caress Richard

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I'll be honest, I read the first two paragraphs of that grantland article and they were entirely full of retarded baseball poo poo so I gave up. If he was making any point at all he should've maybe put together an introduction that wasn't completely insane.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

I'll be honest, I read the first two paragraphs of that grantland article and they were entirely full of retarded baseball poo poo so I gave up. If he was making any point at all he should've maybe put together an introduction that wasn't completely insane.

Yeah, same.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Gigi Galli posted:

I'm not sure, but I think he was saying that a lot of Arsenal and Man city players are left handed, and that's why they suck in Europe.

quiet enjoyment
May 11, 2009
Yeah I read the whole thing and while the point of the article was nebulous the baseball references are dogshit. Just write a loving article about analytics and stop with the inter-sports metaphors you think American readers need to "get it."

F- would not read again. (signing my posts lmao)

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

You know in your heart that this is the wrong thread

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

lmao

ronniegardocki
Apr 14, 2012

by Lowtax

quiet enjoyment posted:

Just write a loving article about analytics

don't

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

lol

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Ewar Woowar posted:

What the gently caress Richard

Richard is a oval office. Everyone knows this.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

same

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Grory, Grory, Man United

https://www.facebook.com/RioFerdinandOfficial/videos/914708118577104/

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

this is painful

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Painful like I imagine all scenarios involving Rio Ferdinand asking United players to wear his 5 hats around

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Absolute rubbish. Chelsea did not deserve to lose. I thought this was their best performance yet. Disallowed goal was the wrong decision. Stop with your anti Chelsea tirade. They keep you in the job.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

These new gender symbols are getting out of control

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

got this shameful small club poo poo on my facebook feed

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bilic owns

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

These new gender symbols are getting out of control

Lol

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Looks like Tactics Tim should have stayed on.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Arsenal have always been good but a bit unlucky so this checks out

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'm glad its his theory that's right and reality that's wrong.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

pointsofdata posted:

I'm glad its his theory that's right and reality that's wrong.

goals scored is passe

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Superbad? Just shop three pictures of Jozy in there and call it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/34675047

holy poo poo this is bad.