Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

So he "only" has piles of money, the biggest organization, and a bunch of endorsements, but is stiff and unliked by the media?

No one doubted Mitt was going to be the eventual nominee, they just wanted someone better. No one thinks Jeb is going to be the nominee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

babypolis posted:

Rubio has charisma

HAHAHAHA. Seriously? I have never seen him come off as anything but smarmy, immature and combative.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I LIKE THE MIAMI DOLPHINS - A shameful cubano

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I don't see how ¡Jeb! turns this around.

He has the institutional advantages, but even with all that, he's polling in the single digits--even in Florida! People just don't like him. And people aren't going to suddenly turn around and like him. He doesn't speak or carry himself with any sort of authority and the American zeitgeist on both sides of the aisle is calling for a president who won't take any poo poo -- be it from abroad (terror) or at home (1%).

Voters have looked at ¡Jeb! and the polls show that they don't want a hunched-over, stammering weakling who is incapable of fighting for what he believes in and who runs for his parent's help with all this campaign stuff because he's unable to function on his own.

For¡Jeb! to roar back would require: (a) that he undergo a fundamental transformation of character (ain't going to happen); or (b) look good in comparison to the other candidates (ain't working so far and is getting worse).

Agreed. Jeb!'s money advantage only lasts as long as the donors last, and the donors won't last if the only thing he can do adequately is comfort them and tell them that he'll turn it around, just wait and see! As stated before as well, there are other establishment candidates that exist that are perfectly capable of filling the void left by his (possible) departure. The only reason he's made it so far in the first place is what he's built up when he was essentially running unopposed before Trump.

Jeb can get the nomination if every other candidate implodes violently, which is entirely possible. But then he goes into the general as the "we settled for him" candidate which isn't exactly the best.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Three Olives posted:

HAHAHAHA. Seriously? I have never seen him come off as anything but smarmy, immature and combative.

Yeah but he's still charismatic for a high schooler

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Jeb's money isn't even that great unless his superpac figures out a way to launder its money to him to pay for staffers, precinct captains, etc.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jeb Bush will go down for money laundering in an attempt to salvage his cash-strapped campaign.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Three Olives posted:

Nah hes just awkward and nervous and sweaty. When hes able to get a handle on that he can be pretty charismatic.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Alter Ego posted:

Trump. Cruz has weaknesses; they can put him down easily just by starving him of money and support.

Trump, on the other hand, is self-financing and running completely scorched-earth--and the idiots love it. They can't touch him, because that makes the idiots love him more. Withdrawing their support won't hurt his bottom line because it won't sway the idiots. They are quite literally WITHOUT recourse when it comes to Trump. He is an amalgam for every negative virtue they have fostered and nurtured for the last eight years--arrogance, racism, sexism, and general unlikability--and because the base thinks that his unfiltered nature is "refreshing" they have nothing.

I thought Cruz got his money from a few ultra-far-right billionaire sugar daddies and Tea-party small donations and not the traditional big Republican donor streams? Also Ted Cruz is constantly bashing the Republican leadership in the house and senate.

I do see your point that Trump is potentially MUCH stronger than Cruz, but Trump never back-stabbed them.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

William Bear posted:

Ah, I see your argument now, Joementum. I agree. Jeb is like Romney in 2008.

Right. A candidate who has a good, but not definite, chance of winning the nomination, due to several advantages, despite poor media presentation.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Montasque posted:

I thought Cruz got his money from a few ultra-far-right billionaire sugar daddies and Tea-party small donations and not the traditional big Republican donor streams? Also Ted Cruz is constantly bashing the Republican leadership in the house and senate.

I do see your point that Trump is potentially MUCH stronger than Cruz, but Trump never back-stabbed them.

Cruz could squeeze in that way, or maybe, perhaps, but not likely, they see the base as ravenous and cash-loose as they are with Trump, they may just feel he can galvanize the public behind him, where as Cruz is ugly and has no friends in Washington.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

you know, telling us you were talking about 2008 Mitt would have saved everyone a lot of trouble :argh:

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Patter Song posted:

Ramos: Señor Trump, you cannot eject me from my own debate!
Trump: Watch me, Jorge! Take this loser back to Mexico!
Ramos: Actually I'm an American citi..........

The wailing and gnashing of teeth from Clinton supporter Ramos moderating that debate would be impressive.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
I think I'm ready to live in Donald Trump's nightmare version of America.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Peachstapler posted:

I think I'm ready to live in Donald Trump's nightmare version of America.

Join us.

MY BEAUTIFUL TRUMP AVATAR KEEPS DISAPPEARING AAAAHHHHHHHH

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Jeb's money isn't even that great unless his superpac figures out a way to launder its money to him to pay for staffers, precinct captains, etc.

Funny you should say that

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Phlegmish posted:

Obama's foreign policy is ineffective, but that's far better than 'complete, unmitigated disaster that will haunt us for decades'.

I liken it to choosing whether you will play golf using a stick, or a shotgun.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Boosted_C5 posted:

Join us.

Your new one is hilarious though

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Boosted_C5 posted:

Join us.

Owned.

Nice title dweeb.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
The RNC is absolutely right in telling NBC to piss off.

Wake me when a MSM moderator accuses Bernie of running a circus campaign. Dude is promising all sorts of "free" poo poo and laughably pretending that it won't necessitate an enormous increase in the tax burden on the middle class and the working class.

NBC is a joke. The Democrats run EVERY SINGLE ONE of their debates in friendly territory, why shouldn't the GOP even the playing field and run every debate on FNC and FBC???

CNN and NBC are overwhelmingly run by and staffed with Democrats.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
I really, really get the vibe from Jeb! that he just doesn't want to do it anymore - that he expected to have a relatively easy time being the 2012 Romney candidate, occasionally putting out Tea Party fires, and generally gladhanding to a groundswell of establishment support. Between the insanity of Trump and Carson, the lurking ghost of his last name, having to slapfight with his protege, and all the other poo poo he's had to wade through, I would honestly be surprised if he stays as long as his financials and polling suggests he "should".

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I think Joementum's been right all along that Trump won't get the nomination, but he's wrong that Jeb will. Maybe he wasn't paying attention during the time he was gone.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I just want to read the book on this after the election, I mean for the big donors and party insiders they have to know this is an epic trainwreck.

With Jeb! out where is the serious alternative? I think it is just Rubio, how do you campaign on Rubio? The greatest backstop against his youth and inexperience is a comparison to Obama and Roh Roh.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Jewel Repetition posted:

I think Joementum's been right all along that Trump won't get the nomination, but he's wrong that Jeb will. Maybe he wasn't paying attention during the time he was gone.

Do you not read the posts you are commenting on? He's never said that "Jeb will win" just that he has a decent chance at winning due to several factors and it'll most likely be Bush or Rubio, which is a perfectly sound statement.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Jewel Repetition posted:

Joe isn't saying that Jeb will, he's just saying not to count him out this early

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Boosted_C5 posted:

Join us.

feels good man

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Mitt Romney posted:

Do you not read the posts you are commenting on? He's never said that "Jeb will win" just that he has a decent chance at winning due to several factors and it'll most likely be Bush or Rubio, which is a perfectly sound statement.

Yeah, I admit, I skim during the morning because there's usually 350 new posts. That's more reasonable.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Chris Christie could be an alternative.

I don't get why the GOP is making such a big deal out of his sins like bridge-gate. Are you kidding me? Guy won't be running in a vacuum, he'll be running against a grating habitual liar with WAY worse skeletons in her closet, and against the record of an out-and-out criminal administration that has made bridge gate look like nothing with their political abuse via the IRS and the Justice Department.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Boosted_C5 posted:

The Democrats run EVERY SINGLE ONE of their debates in friendly territory, why shouldn't the GOP even the playing field and run every debate on FNC and FBC???

Maybe because reality is friendly territory to dems, dweeb.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Boosted_C5 posted:

Join us.

I think that's one of those fancy images that looks different depending on the background (on my phone at I can't check), someone went all out

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Boosted_C5 posted:

The RNC is absolutely right in telling NBC to piss off.

Wake me when a MSM moderator accuses Bernie of running a circus campaign. Dude is promising all sorts of "free" poo poo and laughably pretending that it won't necessitate an enormous increase in the tax burden on the middle class and the working class.

NBC is a joke. The Democrats run EVERY SINGLE ONE of their debates in friendly territory, why shouldn't the GOP even the playing field and run every debate on FNC and FBC???

If Trump can't handle comic book questions from CNBC, how can he handle ISIS or Putin? What if Putin asks him tough questions?

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Boosted_C5 posted:

Chris Christie could be an alternative.

I don't get why the GOP is making such a big deal out of his sins like bridge-gate. Are you kidding me? Guy won't be running in a vacuum, he'll be running against a grating habitual liar with WAY worse skeletons in her closet, and against the record of an out-and-out criminal administration that has made bridge gate look like nothing with their political abuse via the IRS and the Justice Department.

Christie's problem is that primary voters hate him for Sandy

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
The Boosted_C5 universe is indeed strange and disturbing.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm not gonna count Jeb out until he officially suspends his campaign. He may have the SuperPAC, but as we saw with Scott Walker, that only goes so far since you can't use SuperPAC money for a lot of basic financing of your campaign.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Jeb needs a narrative shift and sooner rather than later. He can't go out there and pretend he's a bomb thrower, he's not. He looks miserable out there on the stump, miserable in interviews, and miserable on the debate stage. The Joyful Tortoise needs to come back if he is going to have a shot at this thing.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 22, 2016

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Chief Operating Officer Leaves Jeb Bush Campaign

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

President iJeb! Bush: Could I -- could I bring something up here? Because I'm a fan of yours, Mr. Putin. Big fan. But Vladimir, you can't get involved in Syria. You need to either pull back or resign and let someone else take the job.

President Putin: You're only saying this because Paul Wolfowitz has convinced you that attacking me is going to help you.

President iJeb! Bush: *stammers*

President Putin: You may leave now.

President iJeb! Bush: Yes, sir. Thank you, sir.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Mitt Romney posted:

If Trump can't handle comic book questions from CNBC, how can he handle ISIS or Putin? What if Putin asks him tough questions?

The complaints about the moderators from the CNBC debate have nothing to do with the questions actually being tough in the sense of being difficult to answer.

• Locked thread