Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Hogge Wild posted:

are the refugees still in the bus?

yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

They were once Swedes

lol

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Dark Off posted:

i think flying toast's are darn scary

Edit: these things also poop rice.

so do the chineses

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/10/europeans-comfort-touch-social-bonds/412861/

Even racist bog mongolians want a hug now and then. :smith:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

the tragedy here is that the finn actually wants to be touched but instead chooses a life of stoic, unfeeling distance

stay safe finland män

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Game of thrones pretty unabashedly takes from European history. If this is how Finland sits in Europe, its counterpart in Game of Thrones is pretty clear.

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Crannogmen

quote:

Hardy and reclusive swamp-dwellers, the crannogmen are derisively referred to by outsiders as "mudmen" and "frog-eaters". They are a poor people, mostly subsisting on fishing and frogging, as well as eating any game they can hunt. By the standards of some of their neighbors their culture is somewhat primitive, but they are very woodcrafty, with great knowledge of their terrain as well as of poisons made by local plants and animals in the swamps, which they often coat their weapons with.

Due to their self-imposed isolation, the crannogmen culture remains mostly unchanged since the time of the First Men, before the Andal Invasion six thousand years ago (though they have learned the Common Tongue imposed on the continent by the Andals). Like their Northmen cousins, they still worship the Old Gods of the Forest, maintain a close connection to nature, and were rumored to be close to the Children of the Forest in past millennia.

In other respects, the crannogmen are something of a unique hybrid culture between what is normally found in the North and the kingdoms of southern Westeros. As the southernmost region of the North, the climate of their home is not as cold and desolate as most of the rest of the North, but is instead humid, swampy, and overgrown with fish and game. The surroundings of their home thus shaped their way of life to be quite different from that of their cousins in the main parts the North.

The crannogmen do not march into open battle, and if invaded rely on retreating their crannogs deeper into the swamps. The crannogmen will then use guerrilla tactics, poisoned arrows, and their superior knowledge of the difficult swampy terrain to bleed the invaders through attrition. For ten thousand years, the crannogmen have proven to be very difficult to conquer, though otherwise they usually seclude themselves in their swamps and do not trouble outsiders. They are embroiled in a centuries-old feud with House Frey, whose lands directly border their swamps (whose limit forms the border between the North and the Riverlands), as the Freys often try to encroach on the lands of the crannogmen.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
p. tired cliches of finland itt

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Today I had a potato pizza. It was good.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Free Market Mambo posted:

Today I had a potato pizza. It was good.

Potato pizza is potato

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
Eating potato soup with meat right now.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I've decided I like Finland and am moving soon. I will dissolve into the bog as has always been my destiny.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
there's less bogs than this thread makes you expect!

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Dyna Soar posted:

there's less bogs than this thread makes you expect!

In fact theres only one.

Its called Finland.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
How's internet speed in Finland?

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Government mandated.

e:
pretty good, I guess:
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/fhmf45fdef/no-10-finland/

e2:
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/fhmf45fdef/no-9-sweden/
:wth:

DeepQantas fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 30, 2015

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
just popping in to tell you finnland still owns :coffeepal:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Captain Yossarian posted:

average is prob. in the top 10% worldwide but nowhere near the top spot.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

For more "moving to Finland" realtalk than you probably need, there's this couple from New Mexico I've been following:
http://katiekinsman.com/

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ahundredbux posted:

just popping in to tell you finnland still owns :coffeepal:

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I will never reveal the Mi-Grant secret.

Idiootti
Apr 11, 2012

Captain Yossarian posted:

It's okay I guess. This comes with my rent.

Idiootti fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 30, 2015

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Idiootti posted:

It's okay I guess. This comes with my rent.

:captainpop:

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

refugees haventh even complained about finnish language yet.
http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/~fkarlsso/genkau2.html <--- the word kauppa has 2.253 forms (it means shop in english)

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Dark Off posted:

refugees haventh even complained about finnish language yet.
http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/~fkarlsso/genkau2.html <--- the word kauppa has 2.253 forms (it means shop in english)

to be fair you don't need most of those at all, for example kauppammekohan may be grammatically correct but it's never used in discussion.

finland is not considered an easy language because it's not closely related to other european languages. for someone who only knows chinese, finnish is about as hard to learn as any language. grammatically correct english is a lot harder than finnish imo.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 30, 2015

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
why is norway so utter poo poo at sports, especially the only sport the rest of us nords are good at, i.e cold sports

They got snow and ice just like us

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
we're good at skiing you gently caress

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

LordArgh posted:

you're good at doping

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

LordArgh posted:

Hogge Wild posted:

you're good at doping

now you're just arguing over terminology

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
they dont give a gently caress. competitive sports is retarded anyway

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zzulu posted:

why is norway so utter poo poo at sports, especially the only sport the rest of us nords are good at, i.e cold sports

both countries let Papa Sweden win all the medals.

don't want to make papa angry.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Zzulu posted:

hockey is for bog brutes, we have the chess world champion instead :smug:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

rear end cobra posted:

hockey is for bog brutes, we have the chess world champion instead :smug:

who learned his trade in finland

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Thanks finland

Thinland

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
he's crazy good though, best end game player ever in the known history of chess they say

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Yeah, but Juti has harder slapshot.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Had to explain in detail today how to pick a number and wait in line to a syrian refugee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

serious norman posted:

Had to explain in detail today how to pick a number and wait in line to a syrian refugee.

your mom's reputation has reached far

• Locked thread