Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

TheresaJayne posted:

I am english so I always use the green side.
There were laser beams going past me but I was still in the no fire zone so I assumed that the station would have blown him up before he could kill me,
The station had just destroyed someone inside the station as well so i assumed that the lasers were to do with that. (also it was Lave)

Red lights on the left

I don't even know what may have happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Cheatum the Evil Midget posted:

Might i impose upon you to request the satisfaction of knowing your HUD settings, goon sir?

When is frontier just going to put a hud colour system in the game? I mean jesus, more than half the people playing seem to run custom ones, just make it official and less finicky with important radar colours.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

orange juche posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPYH8gB2uTc

Here's concrete info on how SR works, with testing.

Small ships:
Target lock not affected at <250m
Target lock lost after 7s if >250m

Large ships:
Target lock not affected <550m
Target lock lost after 7s if >550m

Simple as that, internal heat doesn't matter, what modules you're running doesn't matter, it's either it works or doesn't. I would guess you would not be able to lock a target outside those ranges if it already had Silent Running going too.

So if a Stealth DBS is outside 250m and has silent running on, it is unlockable unless you had locked it prior to it triggering silent running, and even then you lose lock if you don't close within 250m in those 7s.
He only seems to test with a Sidewinder and a Python, I'd be interested to see if there are other factors aside from size (eg hull mass, total mass, or ship-specific). Maybe in the morning I'll see if someone in IRC is willing to be a participant in further testing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

More wreckage several thousand light years away from human life, this time by a beautiful water world.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Tom Guycot posted:

When is frontier just going to put a hud colour system in the game? I mean jesus, more than half the people playing seem to run custom ones, just make it official and less finicky with important radar colours.

They know people want it, but it's pretty far down their list of priorities.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

KakerMix posted:

I want to know how they are going to justify docking computers when every ship post Horizons comes with an auto pilot that can navigate around any planet and land on any planet automatically. Seems like a 1 ton docking computer doesn't make any sense if your ship already has an auto pilot.
The SRV module.
Since you need the module to be able to carry and deploy in the SRV, Frontier could easily say that the internal module also comes with a dedicated planetary autopilot.

E: not that having a 1t module only for a docking autopilot isn't silly and couldn't have been designed better

radintorov fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Oct 30, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

radintorov posted:

The SRV module.
Since you need the module to be able to carry and deploy in the SRV, Frontier could easily say that the internal module also comes with a dedicated planetary autopilot.

E: not that having a 1t module only for a docking autopilot isn't silly and couldn't have been designed better

Alright now explain why empty additional fuel tanks (when empty) make your ship use less fuel per jump, or why enemy wings can have 6 or even 8 in a wing. Or why Kill Warrant Scanners can have, and I quote, "real time communication" with various police agencies across the galaxy but not use this for anything else that would benefit from galactic-scale real time communication. :colbert:

I'm nitpicking you see :ssh:

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

KakerMix posted:

Or why Kill Warrant Scanners can have, and I quote, "real time communication" with various police agencies across the galaxy but not use this for anything else that would benefit from galactic-scale real time communication. :colbert:

Actually it's not 'real-time communication' per se, old boy. It's in fact a dedicated database updated whenever one is within range of a node conncted to the KW system. When you scan you are not linking to a network, you are merely matching data already present in your computer :eng101:

.... I actually have no idea and you're breaking my illusion :(

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

KakerMix posted:

Wait, empty fuel tanks make you use less fuel per jump? Are you sure about that, because it sounds like an hilarious oversight on Frontier's part. :v:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

radintorov posted:

Wait, empty fuel tanks make you use less fuel per jump? Are you sure about that, because it sounds like an hilarious oversight on Frontier's part. :v:

Fuel consumption per jump is calculated from a formula using the mass of your ship and the distance being jumped. The amount of fuel currently in your tanks is included in the total mass of your ship, so your current level of fuel quite logically affects the amount of fuel that the jump consumes.

FSD don't have a maximum jump range; they just have a maximum amount of fuel they can consume per jump. That's why lowering the mass of your ship increases your maximum jump range.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Oct 30, 2015

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Slashrat posted:

Fuel consumption per jump is calculated from a formula using the mass of your ship and the distance being jumped. The amount of fuel currently in your tanks is included in the total mass of your ship, so your current level of fuel quite logically affects the amount of fuel that the jump consumes.

FSD don't have a maximum jump range; they just have a maximum amount of fuel they can consume per jump. That's why lowering the mass of your ship increases your maximum jump range.

Yeah it all works perfectly consistently once you grasp the principles.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Slashrat posted:

Oh I know that, but how does adding an empty fuel tank reduce the amount it costs me to jump? I mean, if I have an empty Class 5 Cargo Rack and 32T of fuel and it costs me x to jump, why switching that Cargo Rack for an empty Class 5 Fuel Tank makes the same jump cost y? It should still cost x since the mass should be unaffected. :v:

At least I believe that that's what Kaker meant when he mentioned this.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
We don't talk about that bug because we don't want it fixed.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

radintorov posted:

Oh I know that, but how does adding an empty fuel tank reduce the amount it costs me to jump? I mean, if I have an empty Class 5 Cargo Rack and 32T of fuel and it costs me x to jump, why switching that Cargo Rack for an empty Class 5 Fuel Tank makes the same jump cost y? It should still cost x since the mass should be unaffected. :v:

Ok, you have a cargo rack which has the equipment to hold the canisters in place so that rack weighs say 3T
You have an empty Fueltank which contains no fuel and is only 1T or 0.5T.

Try changing out the cargo rack and the fueltank, does your ship mass change?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

TheresaJayne posted:

Ok, you have a cargo rack which has the equipment to hold the canisters in place so that rack weighs say 3T
You have an empty Fueltank which contains no fuel and is only 1T or 0.5T.

Try changing out the cargo rack and the fueltank, does your ship mass change?
Cargo racks don't weight poo poo.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Helter Skelter posted:

Cargo racks don't weight poo poo.

I was trying to come up with a feasible explanation as to why....

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Cheatum the Evil Midget posted:

Might i impose upon you to request the satisfaction of knowing your HUD settings, goon sir?

code:
<MatrixRed> 0, 0.5, 1 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> 0, 0.5, 0 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 1, 0, 0 </MatrixBlue>

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

radintorov posted:

It doesn't seem to work like that reliably. I know because my Asp works like it should do when fitted with fuel tanks (full tanks and range goes down, empty tank and jump range stays the same as with empty racks). When testing in E:D Shipyard, it does seem to be bugged on the first ship I tested this on (Imperial Courier) but not the second (Asp again), so who knows? I can't test real fits out here in the darkness, after all.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
drat, that was a fast CG :stare:

I did two HazRES sorties last night and went to bed, seven hours later it's done.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj9GW5qPoLs

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

3 posted:

I did two HazRES sorties last night and went to bed, seven hours later it's done.

:stare:

Well I guess I shouldn't have waited on that one.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
I ended up dipping my toes into some Fuel Rat action this evening, and took on a few missions.

It's surprisingly fun, and kinda addictive. Real people whom are genuinely thankful you gave a poo poo for 10 minutes. It's awfully nice :angel:.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

KakerMix posted:

Alright now explain why empty additional fuel tanks (when empty) make your ship use less fuel per jump, or why enemy wings can have 6 or even 8 in a wing. Or why Kill Warrant Scanners can have, and I quote, "real time communication" with various police agencies across the galaxy but not use this for anything else that would benefit from galactic-scale real time communication. :colbert:

Nitpick maybe but i'm a fellow picker cause this stuff drives me mental when I spot it. As for autopilots etc. I've wondered for a while why they're not "software", How big's your ship's SSD? can you fit the autopilot on there as well as the warrant scan software? How much space do you have left for the software that reverses the polarity of the neutron flow or whatever to make your shields filter hydrogen out or whichever :techno: solution you like. Things like KWS/cargo/surface scanners being driver software for the sensors would both make more sense and give other ranks of sensors besides D an actual point

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:stare:

Well I guess I shouldn't have waited on that one.

Dang same

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Stanko-Prussian posted:

Nitpick maybe but i'm a fellow picker cause this stuff drives me mental when I spot it. As for autopilots etc. I've wondered for a while why they're not "software", How big's your ship's SSD? can you fit the autopilot on there as well as the warrant scan software? How much space do you have left for the software that reverses the polarity of the neutron flow or whatever to make your shields filter hydrogen out or whichever :techno: solution you like. Things like KWS/cargo/surface scanners being driver software for the sensors would both make more sense and give other ranks of sensors besides D an actual point

You see this is space 1984 and the microprocessor hasn't been invented yet so the docking computer uses vacuum tubes.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Astroniomix posted:

You see this is space 1984 and the microprocessor hasn't been invented yet so the docking computer uses vacuum tubes.

Which is why we also don't have autopilot or even auto-FSD-approach

I would slot a module that handles FSD approaches so I don't have to stare at 0:07

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

3 posted:

Holy poo poo. Is the mining CG still going? I spent a while getting up there in my stripped-down-for-the-FAS FDS and spent a while mining in a nearby system, I didn't want to head back to Kaushpoos until I had at least 100 palladium. I hope I can still get in on that part.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Haha, flawless victory.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

newsletter is out

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=47bd8c04aa

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Is it just me or have the newsletters seemed even more :effort: lately?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Not just you, although they've always been a bit like that.

I think they're trying to parcel out feature reveals to build hype, but I'm just getting a bit bored with it all now.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
My reaction to the newsletter:

"Ugh, we get it Frontier yes planetary landings look nifty, please say something about the ships you want to add, too!"

On the other hand, I may be just a bit spoiled by EVE Online, where the devs start talking about new ships months before release.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Having surprises and stuff in the expansion is good but I still can't give a poo poo about planetary landings because I still don't know why I would bother.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I dunno, I'd love to just hear some general stuff about 1.5, like the mission system changes, naval changes, whether or not fighter launching will be part of 1.5, etc. I mean, it would also be cool to know anything at all about the Imperial Cutter or Keelback (or what ranks the cutter and corvette will take), but it seems like the newsletter is more of a weekly recap than actual news at this point.

Also it's pretty funny that one of the CGs in the newsletter was completed before the newsletter was sent out.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Sard posted:

Holy poo poo. Is the mining CG still going? I spent a while getting up there in my stripped-down-for-the-FAS FDS and spent a while mining in a nearby system, I didn't want to head back to Kaushpoos until I had at least 100 palladium. I hope I can still get in on that part.

I wouldn't worry, the mining CG is going sloooow. Hadn't even reached Tier 1, last I saw. 12 tons sold got me into the top 33%.

Kowboat
Mar 3, 2006

Grenouilles Sans Frontieres

AndroidHub posted:

Is it just me or have the newsletters seemed even more :effort: lately?

"This week we have a video you've already seen, a dev update you've already read, and the result of a contest you don't care about.

Seeya later!"

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
The golden Sidewinder is great, both ironically and un-ironically. Like someone had the rare combination of determination and lack of self-awareness to gild their Ford Taurus.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Still waiting on the gold FDL. How that boring chrome Vulture beat it in the poll is a mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hey, now, I love my chrome Vulture; you rich playboys with your fighting yachts can stuff it.

• Locked thread