Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

pathetic little tramp posted:

Here's a nice copy paste you can send to your republican friends who are lying to themselves and trying to say this doesn't look bad and simultaneously saying democrats get softball questions:

edit: Like just re-reading it now not only is it a pretty tough question, he follows up, holding her feet to the fire, and on top of all that, she actually answers solidly when he follows up with an either-or.

And I mentioned this before, but these sorts of primary debate questions aren't just tough, but they serve a purpose for the candidates. A good candidate WANTS to get asked about their biggest weaknesses during the primary, answer it, digest it, develop counter-narratives, etc. If you want to win in the general, these things are necessary.

Of course, if all you want is to be able to come back in 4 years for another payday, then it's obviously a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Family Values posted:

No, see, you don't need to know the details of their agenda, just that they could have an agenda, and if they did, you would like it. Anything else is just gotcha bullshit from the lieberal media.

I think you'll find that they've asked some of the best people, these are great people, and they've all loved the agenda. It's a great agenda. It's a great agenda! Their agenda is so great that some of the best agenda people are in love with their great agenda. You're gonna love it. It'll be great. Great and good.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I'm starting to suspect that this sort of thing is predicted and to some extent staged. The "gif-able moment" is the new sound byte.

There was a couple of articles written about this right after the entire Benghazi hearing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I'm starting to suspect that this sort of thing is predicted and to some extent staged. The "gif-able moment" is the new sound byte.

I don't think it's predicted or staged, but we're definitely seeing the soundbite evolve into a sort of video-bite that demands different behaviors and playing to different strengths from the candidates.

I read a pretty good article about this recently, but it's impossible to find now because googling "hillary clinton gif" just brings up a million listicles and social media posts.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

FCKGW posted:

A good question:
"What is your tax plan?"

A gotcha question:
"How does it work?"

:crossarms:

Didn't the Romney/Ryan campaign answer this question in 2012 with "you'll find out after I'm elected"?

Questions about implementing economic agendas are always "gotcha" questions to the GOP because they know their policies are unworkable or crippling to anyone not making 6+ figures and it's unfair to just go ahead and point this out right off the bat.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

haveblue posted:

I don't think it's predicted or staged, but we're definitely seeing the soundbite evolve into a sort of video-bite that demands different behaviors and playing to different strengths from the candidates.

I read a pretty good article about this recently, but it's impossible to find now because googling "hillary clinton gif" just brings up a million listicles and social media posts.

I'm phone posting so no link but the article was by Matt Bors over on his Medium page, called "The GIF Bite Election"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I'm phone posting so no link but the article was by Matt Bors over on his Medium page, called "The GIF Bite Election"

That was it, thanks

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Good to see my Congressman calling out the administration for using a false justification to go to war this morning.

quote:

“This announcement raises serious questions about the Administration’s strategy in the region. There may be credible answers but, without the engagement of Congress consistent with the requirements of the Constitution, the American people will not get the answers to which they are entitled.

The biggest question raised by today’s announcement is, ‘When will Congress finally accept its responsibility?’ The Constitution is clear that only Congress can authorize war.

Make no mistake about it, this is a war. Yet, the legal framework justifying this war is loosely tied to the fumes of a Congressional authorization approved in response to the 9/11 attack on America over 14 years ago.

A civil war in Syria did not exist 14 years ago. ISIS did not exist 14 years ago. Neither the United States nor Russia were conducting military operations in Syria 14 years ago.

Every Member of Congress should debate and vote on the Administration’s strategy. No more bobbing and weaving. We need to do our job.”

I've only seen the usual suspects (in addition to Welch), like Barbara Lee and Justin Amash calling for this in the House, but Tim Kaine did give a Senate speech today about the need for an actual declaration of war.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Joementum posted:

Good to see my Congressman calling out the administration for using a false justification to go to war this morning.

I've only seen the usual suspects (in addition to Welch), like Barbara Lee and Justin Amash calling for this in the House, but Tim Kaine did give a Senate speech today about the need for an actual declaration of war.

One of my senators isn't happy with it either:

quote:

@ChrisMurphyCT: Escalation after escalation after escalation in Syria. Deafening silence from Congress. The Constitution withering away before our eyes.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Jeb! just lost and/or fired his Chief Operating Officer.

The Wall Street Journal posted:

The highest-ranking official known to lose her job in Jeb Bush’s flagging campaign is Christine Ciccone, the campaign’s chief operating officer.

News of Ms. Ciccone’s departure comes a week after the Bush campaign announced a re-organization that it said would reduce payroll by 40%. Ms. Ciccone served as Mr. Bush’s chief operating officer, effectively an office administrator responsible for logistics.

“We are grateful to have had Christine on the team, we respect her immensely,” Bush spokesman Tim Miller said.

Ms. Ciccone was paid roughly $12,000 a month, the equivalent of a $144,000 annual salary, according to the campaign’s most recent Federal Election Commission filling. Reached by phone Friday, Ms. Ciccone said “I’ve got no comment. I’ve just got to go.”

Ms. Ciccone came to the campaign with political roots in the Bush family. She worked in President George W. Bush’s White House, serving as a legislative liaison to the Senate. Before working for the Jeb Bush campaign, she worked as a lobbyist at Sphere, a top Washington consulting firm.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

greatn posted:

It was embarrassing and the worst thing in the prequels

No, the worst thing was Greedo shooting first Anakin going from good to evil in the space of a half-hour sitcom in the third movie.

Also, midichlorians. Midichlorians literally killed the magic of the Force. The Force is now a STD. It's a steroid injection. It's nothing special at all.
It's an inherited genetic superiority over common people.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 30, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mister Macys posted:

No, the worst thing was Greedo shooting first Anakin going from good to evil in the space of a half-hour sitcom in the third movie.

"Yes, Emporer. Slaughtering 6 years olds makes perfect sense. Let's throw away a young batch of force sensitive users instead of trying to turn them."

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

CommieGIR posted:

Yes, Emporer. Slaughtering 6 years olds younglings makes perfect sense.

:colbert:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

$144k/yr for a COO is pretty lovely, let alone a 40% cut.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-medical-pot-20141216-story.html

Boehner's last act a) ended federal ban on marijuana research and b) prohibits feds from raiding retail ops in states where weed's legal

a good boehner

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

CommieGIR posted:

"Yes, Emporer. Slaughtering 6 years olds makes perfect sense. Let's throw away a young batch of force sensitive users instead of trying to turn them."

Hey man, can't break the Rule of Two. Throws off the dynamic...or something like that.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Didn't the Romney/Ryan campaign answer this question in 2012 with "you'll find out after I'm elected"?

Questions about implementing economic agendas are always "gotcha" questions to the GOP because they know their policies are unworkable or crippling to anyone not making 6+ figures and it's unfair to just go ahead and point this out right off the bat.

Romney based his entire economy recovery on "thing's will get better because businesses will feel safer once I'm elected" the crux of his plan was a magical economic recovery based on how happy everyone would be that Romney was finally elected.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Joementum posted:

Has anyone ever tried to bring a scotus case with regard to the authorization to use force?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Seems like a textbook political question.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Disinterested posted:

Has anyone ever tried to bring a scotus case with regard to the authorization to use force?

There is no chance in hell the Supreme Court would take the case. The Supreme Court is not willing to issue orders on how military units are to be deployed and used: if Congress is unhappy with the President over the use of force, their remedy is impeachment.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-medical-pot-20141216-story.html

Boehner's last act a) ended federal ban on marijuana research and b) prohibits feds from raiding retail ops in states where weed's legal

a good boehner

:unsmith:

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

euphronius posted:

Seems like a textbook political question.

But surely if Congress authorizes x and the executive does y, whether that is legal is a question of being adjudicated by a court?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

evilweasel posted:

There is no chance in hell the Supreme Court would take the case. The Supreme Court is not willing to issue orders on how military units are to be deployed and used: if Congress is unhappy with the President over the use of force, their remedy is impeachment.

Yeah I'm sure they wouldn't, I just want to know how the constitutional theory of it is supposed to work in the abstract

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Well there's nothing stopping Congress from coming together and saying to the Executive, "Hey, loving stop that, there's no way we authorized you to do that when you cite that other thing as your justification," except for the fact that Congress itself doesn't want to touch the issue with a ten-foot pole.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mr Jaunts posted:

But that's what doesn't make sense. No one in the Senate actually knows about the blockade, largely because the Trade Federation was preventing anyone from entering or leaving Naboo, but also because Naboo is a small, out of the way planet that doesn't trade a whole lot to begin with. When Amidala finally gets before the Senate and pleads her case, no one responds because this is the first they're hearing about such a blockade. The Neimoidians swear up and down that the allegations of a blockade are untrue, and call for an investigation into the matter. If they were trying to protest the taxes and get them removed, they wouldn't try and prevent everyone from knowing about their protest.

Literally the only reason they blockade Naboo is because Palpatine told them to. This is even addressed in the dialogue of the movie: Qui-Gon explicitly tells Padme, "There is something else behind all this, Your Highness. There is no logic in the Federation's move here."

So there are three layers to this plot. Naboo does actually trade; the blue poo poo that the Gungans make bombs out of is a valuable energy source. The human Naboo were suckered by Palpatine's master, Darth Plagueis, into selling it below market rates to the Trade Federation. Eventually the Naboo tried to break out of the deal and this pissed off the Federation mightily, as imperial powers that lose most favored nation status tend to be. So Palpatine cooks up this scheme to get himself elected on the back of a crisis and suggests that the Trade Federation blockade Naboo in retaliation for breaking the exploitative treaty, with a "tax protest" as a pretext, presumably so that Freepers and Very Serious People the galaxy over would fawn over them.

:goonsay:

Too bad almost all of this was relegated to a book instead of becoming Joementum's dream Star Wars film.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Disinterested posted:

Yeah I'm sure they wouldn't, I just want to know how the constitutional theory of it is supposed to work in the abstract

The constitutional theory is that Congress has a remedy, impeachment. The Supreme Court does not get involved because judging if the President has violated the Constitution in this aspect is delegated to Congress through its impeachment power.

As for the abstract theory of how it is "supposed to work", the issue is the Constitution is ambiguous. The President is the Commander in Chief, the Congress can declare war. But there's no lines drawn about what the power to declare war means, and what powers the President lacks without a declaration of war. Most theory comes down on the side of the President: the President commands the military, and that power extends into peacetime. Congress can exercise its power of the purse to control the military but its ability to declare war does not act as a constraint on the President's powers - instead it's effectively a ceremonial role.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Disinterested posted:

Doesn't this sort of brush up against "if the president does it, it isn't illegal"?

Like the executive can do what it wants with the military, congressional authorization notwithstanding. The only possible enforcement is impeachment anyway, no matter how SCOTUS were to rule.

I dunno, maybe that's dumb, it's Friday and I'm tired.

Edit: beaten by someone smarter

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mdemone posted:

Doesn't this sort of brush up against "if the president does it, it isn't illegal"?

Like the executive can do what it wants with the military, congressional authorization notwithstanding. The only possible enforcement is impeachment anyway, no matter how SCOTUS were to rule.

I dunno, maybe that's dumb, it's Friday and I'm tired.

It's more that the Supreme Court doesn't decide if it's illegal or not. Congress does. But Congress talks the talk but is never willing to walk the walk: Congress as an institution is perfectly happy to delegate warmaking power to the President while everyone politely agrees never to actually make push come to shove on if the War Powers Resolution is constitutional.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

evilweasel posted:

The constitutional theory is that Congress has a remedy, impeachment. The Supreme Court does not get involved because judging if the President has violated the Constitution in this aspect is delegated to Congress through its impeachment power.

As for the abstract theory of how it is "supposed to work", the issue is the Constitution is ambiguous. The President is the Commander in Chief, the Congress can declare war. But there's no lines drawn about what the power to declare war means, and what powers the President lacks without a declaration of war. Most theory comes down on the side of the President: the President commands the military, and that power extends into peacetime. Congress can exercise its power of the purse to control the military but its ability to declare war does not act as a constraint on the President's powers - instead it's effectively a ceremonial role.

Thank you

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Disinterested posted:

But surely if Congress authorizes x and the executive does y, whether that is legal is a question of being adjudicated by a court?

Who would even bring the law suit.

The constitutional response is impeachment.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Salvor_Hardin posted:

No this is bullshit. She had cameras on her for 11 hours. If she were doing it on purpose you would have had way more than just that and her making a face.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
So what I'm reading is, if Congress wants to limit the ability of the President to send the military somewhere they should slash the military budget.

:getin:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Then I say impeach Obama.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I'm kind of surprised that nobody has ever made an rear end of themselves about the constitutionality of the WPR. Or maybe they have and everyone else was like "shut up, this doesn't go anywhere good".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mister Macys posted:

Also, midichlorians. Midichlorians literally killed the magic of the Force. The Force is now a STD. It's a steroid injection. It's nothing special at all.
It's an inherited genetic superiority over common people.

The Force is strong in my family.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If congress and the president think it is constitutional it is probably constitutional. That's sort of how it works with gray area questions.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Qui-Gon's theories about midi-chlorians were not accepted by mainstream Jedi religious leaders and is one of the reasons he never made it onto the council. He believed a midichlorian count to have a causative relationship to a force user's potential, when in fact it was only correlative.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

euphronius posted:

Who would even bring the law suit.

The constitutional response is impeachment.

I asked the question for a reason. Standing would not be an issue in an English court.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Jazerus posted:

So there are three layers to this plot. Naboo does actually trade; the blue poo poo that the Gungans make bombs out of is a valuable energy source. The human Naboo were suckered by Palpatine's master, Darth Plagueis, into selling it below market rates to the Trade Federation. Eventually the Naboo tried to break out of the deal and this pissed off the Federation mightily, as imperial powers that lose most favored nation status tend to be. So Palpatine cooks up this scheme to get himself elected on the back of a crisis and suggests that the Trade Federation blockade Naboo in retaliation for breaking the exploitative treaty, with a "tax protest" as a pretext, presumably so that Freepers and Very Serious People the galaxy over would fawn over them.

:goonsay:

Too bad almost all of this was relegated to a book instead of becoming Joementum's dream Star Wars film.

:cripes: that's still kind of dumb but at least makes the least bit of sense. I'll stop going on this derail but I will say that USPol is a more tolerable Star Wars thread than the actual Star Wars thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Hey, at least we didnt elect a a republican, they would have probably started another Iraq War!

Eh? Eeeeh?

eh.

• Locked thread