Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

franco posted:

A bit of a :can: question: I very rarely (hoho!) eat steak but picked up a nice ribeye. Without being too spergy, what's the best way to cook it? A little googling suggests that this is one cut that benefits from being done medium/well. I was thinking simply rubbing it with salt/pepper (or maybe soy sauce instead of the salt), letting it sit for an hour or two, then into the pan and resting under foil at the end, but maybe oven finishing it is the way to go? I have a little probe thermometer that I haven't really used if anyone has particular temps to go for at any stage!

Use a lot of kosher salt and let that sit for at least 40 minutes before you cook. The salt first draws all of the moisture out of the steak, then it dissolves the salt a bit and breaks down the muscle to let it suck all that flavor back in. It gives you a really tender, juicy steak that tastes a lot better. If you don't let it sit long enough then you either don't get the flavor or worse, you suck the moisture out and then end up cooking it dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Jesus Christ four minutes a side. Seriously? I don't know what your definition of medium is, but gently caress that's a good way to ruin a steak.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Scientastic posted:

Jesus Christ four minutes a side. Seriously? I don't know what your definition of medium is, but gently caress that's a good way to ruin a steak.

Agreed, particularly if the steak is as thin as 1/2", and the pan is as screaming hot as it should be. It shouldn't need more than a minute or two per side unless you want a dry hockey puck.

For rare, thick steaks, I only give them around 2 minutes a side - but again, it's all temperature. Don't guess, use an instant temp probe and pull it about 5-7 degrees below what you want your final temp to be.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

franco posted:

resting under foil at the end

Do not rest under foil unless you hate a good crust on your steak, it will make the crust soften.

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

Most no-bake cheesecake recipes call for lime or lemon to be added to the cream cheese. What exactly does the citrusy element contribute, and is there any good substitute if making a citrus-free cheesecake? Thanks in advance!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

General Venereal posted:

Most no-bake cheesecake recipes call for lime or lemon to be added to the cream cheese. What exactly does the citrusy element contribute, and is there any good substitute if making a citrus-free cheesecake? Thanks in advance!

A bright citric acidity. You could use powdered citric acid, but that acidity does wonders for the cheesecake. Why are you trying to avoid it?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

General Venereal posted:

Don't avoid it. Also put orange zest in your graham cracker crust.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Scientastic posted:

Four minutes a side is fine... if you are cooking over a can of Sterno. A SMALL can of Sterno.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Try a mutton shoulder, for serious. That's your authentic New Mexico.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Squashy Nipples posted:

Four minutes a side is fine... if you are cooking over a can of Sterno. A SMALL can of Sterno.

That's about the size of the burners on my 1950s gas range.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

General Venereal posted:

You want something sour, otherwise the whole thing will be way too rich and sweet. There are non-citrus fruits you could use instead though, like raspberries, blackcurrants, cranberries or pomegranate. Just put them in a bowl, crush them with a masher and them strain them through a sieve. This will mean your cheesecake goes red/purple though.

Edit: I dunno if that will work for pomegranate seeds actually, I just listed them because they're sour. I've never tried to juice them myself...

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 31, 2015

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
You can mash up and juice pom seeds, especially if you add some rough chunky sugar in with them

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

A bright citric acidity. You could use powdered citric acid, but that acidity does wonders for the cheesecake. Why are you trying to avoid it?

Because the friends I'm making it for have a list of about twenty allergies between them. The best I could come up with after reading countless dessert recipes was a citrus-free lactose-free cheesecake :(

Gerblyn posted:

You want something sour, otherwise the whole thing will be way too rich and sweet. There are non-citrus fruits you could use instead though, like raspberries, blackcurrants, cranberries or pomegranate. Just put them in a bowl, crush them with a masher and them strain them through a sieve. This will mean your cheesecake goes red/purple though.

This is awesome. I'll try a few of these in different batches. Thank you!

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Haha a lot of steak responses - thank you :D

Yeah, I have pretty beefy gas burners and, once in the super-hot pan, it quickly became apparent that 3/4 a side was going to be way too long (using probe and...my eyes). Went about a minute and a half on each which turned out just about perfect. Am definitely a ribeye fan now.

Didn't know that about the foil/crust - I just thought it was the "done thing". Well this is how we learn! I'll lose the foil next time. Oh and yes I koshered the gently caress out of it for an hour which worked great. Cheers!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Sure and begorrah I need a good recipe for a reasonably authentic Irish stew. Any tips?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Scientastic posted:

Sure and begorrah I need a good recipe for a reasonably authentic Irish stew. Any tips?

The trinity, taters, some stew meat, water and touch of salt. Don't add ANY spices.

I wish I was kidding. :smith:

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

General Venereal posted:

Because the friends I'm making it for have a list of about twenty allergies between them. The best I could come up with after reading countless dessert recipes was a citrus-free lactose-free cheesecake :(

Post their list so we can give you better ideas than a tofu cake monstrosity, or whatever the hell you make a cheese less cheesecake out of

Squashy Nipples posted:

The trinity, taters, some stew meat, water and touch of salt. Don't add ANY spices.

I wish I was kidding. :smith:
You can definitely do black pepper in a traditional stew. I usually sneak thyme and a bay leaf in there too.

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

pile of brown posted:

Post their list so we can give you better ideas than a tofu cake monstrosity, or whatever the hell you make a cheese less cheesecake out of

It's not gonna be a tofu cake, just a cheesecake with lactose-free butter and lactose free cream cheese. :) Oh, and no citrus of course. But it's part three of a dinner I've planned for my friends' tenth anniversary, which currently consists of "tear and share" garlic bread with artichoke soup and crisped parma ham, boeuf bourguignon and cheesecake. I'm not the most advanced cook, but these were the best I could come up with considering I'd like to prep as much in advance as possible, and given the allergies:

Lactose
Nuts
Anything that resides in the sea
Essentially all seeds
Oats
Most grain-related stuff
Rice
Chocolate, cocoa, nougat
Peas, beans, corn.
Sprouts
Soya
Wheat kernel flour
Raw carrots (must be boiled to mush to not pose a threat)
Raw apples, pears, tomatoes.
Exotic fruit like kiwi, mango, pineapples, citrus, bananas. European fruit is okay though.
Paprika

Any other dessert recipes catering to the above would be greatly appreciated though!

Final Call fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 31, 2015

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

General Venereal posted:

It's not gonna be a tofu cake, just a cheesecake with lactose-free butter and lactose free cream cheese. :) Oh, and no citrus of course. But it's part three of a dinner I've planned for my friends' tenth anniversary, which currently consists of "tear and share" garlic bread with artichoke soup and crisped parma ham, boeuf bourguignon and cheesecake. I'm not the most advanced cook, but these were the best I could come up with considering I'd like to prep as much in advance as possible, and given the allergies:

Lactose
Nuts
Essentially all seeds
Oats
Most grain-related stuff
Rice
Chocolate, cocoa, nougat
Peas, beans, corn.
Sprouts
Soya
Wheat kernel flour
Exotic fruit like kiwi, mango, pineapples, citrus, bananas. European fruit is okay though.
Paprika

Any other dessert recipes catering to the above would be greatly appreciated though!

Creme brulee?

edit: gently caress... lactose

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

General Venereal posted:

Lactose
Nuts
Essentially all seeds
Oats
Most grain-related stuff
Rice
Chocolate, cocoa, nougat
Peas, beans, corn.
Sprouts
Soya
Wheat kernel flour
Paprika

...that seems like an impossible list of allergies.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
You could feed them psyllium husks in aspic. Otherwise...

Nope, that's it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

General Venereal posted:

Lactose
Nuts
Essentially all seeds
Oats
Most grain-related stuff
Rice
Chocolate, cocoa, nougat
Peas, beans, corn.
Sprouts
Soya
Wheat kernel flour
Paprika

Jello?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

What are European fruits?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

General Venereal posted:

I made Creme Anglais with Coconut milk last week, and it was really good. I think they could eat that? Otherwise I got nothing, I know some lactose free recipes because my brother's girlfriend is intolerant, but if you take out all flour and grains, then I get a bit stuck because I mostly do baking...

Since they cannot eat flour or grains, what's the garlic bread made of?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

General Venereal posted:

Lactose
Nuts
Essentially all seeds
Oats
Most grain-related stuff
Rice
Chocolate, cocoa, nougat
Peas, beans, corn.
Sprouts
Soya
Wheat kernel flour
Paprika

That sounds like a whole list of bullshit. Just poison them.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
What should I throw into a tomatillo green salsa besides some onion, lime, garlic, and something to heat it up?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Coriander/Cilantro and salt is what I'd add, my knowledge of mexican food is prety basic though.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

General Venereal posted:

Lactose
Nuts
Essentially all seeds
Oats
Most grain-related stuff
Rice
Chocolate, cocoa, nougat
Peas, beans, corn.
Sprouts
Soya
Wheat kernel flour
Paprika

Carrot halwa with coconut milk I guess, although the lack of cashews :(

How can someone be allergic to all things from the ocean :psyduck:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Make an almond flour orange cake. I've made this loads of times (including using it as a starting point for my dessert in the latest ICSA), and it's excellent.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Scientastic posted:

Make an almond flour orange cake. I've made this loads of times (including using it as a starting point for my dessert in the latest ICSA), and it's excellent.

That looks like a really tasty cake and a good, flexible base for other cakes. Do you think that it would be good with some rose water added, and maybe saffron? Go Turkish with it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Hawkgirl posted:

If you try hard enough, you can be allergic to anything

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Veskit posted:

What should I throw into a tomatillo green salsa besides some onion, lime, garlic, and something to heat it up?

paprika / cumin but just a small amount to taste.

Honestly it could go fine without it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

That looks like a really tasty cake and a good, flexible base for other cakes. Do you think that it would be good with some rose water added, and maybe saffron? Go Turkish with it.

Try it and report back! It was excellent with sesame flour and seeds.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Veskit posted:

Don't forget salt.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

General Venereal posted:

Lactose
Nuts
Essentially all seeds
Oats
Most grain-related stuff
Rice
Chocolate, cocoa, nougat
Peas, beans, corn.
Sprouts
Soya
Wheat kernel flour
Paprika

Not seeing an egg allergy, so I'll suggest an Eton Mess. . It's crisp meringue, fruit and cream swirled together. Replace the cream with something lactose free, even the cream cheese could work. Spike the fruit with alcohol. Fruit can be whatever is safe. It's a pretty hassle free dessert.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Drink and Fight posted:

Don't forget salt.

I thought that was just a default round these parts. And pepper of course!

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Veskit posted:

I thought that was just a default round these parts. And pepper of course!

Just making sure!

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Scientastic posted:

How long would a cake like that keep? I have an aunt out in Washington who has celiac and I haven't sent her anything for Christmas in a long time.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Hawkgirl posted:

Carrot halwa with coconut milk I guess, although the lack of cashews :(

Maybe it's one of those elimination diets? A lot of those are common allergies so maybe they'll test them by adding one back at a time. I'm not a doctor but usually when an extra long list of allergies comes up, people usually claim it's an elimination diet or just a lot of bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

Gerblyn posted:

I made Creme Anglais with Coconut milk last week, and it was really good. I think they could eat that? Otherwise I got nothing, I know some lactose free recipes because my brother's girlfriend is intolerant, but if you take out all flour and grains, then I get a bit stuck because I mostly do baking...

Since they cannot eat flour or grains, what's the garlic bread made of?

Would have loved to, but coconut is one of those fruit considered "exotic". Safe fruit are strawberries, rhubarbs, anything that can be grown in European soil except for apples. Should have explained the flour allergy a bit better though, the person in question is only allergic to the type of flour that only consists of the innermost part of the kernel - bit of google translating calls it white flour. Grains in this case means whole, unprocessed grains.

Cavenagh posted:

Not seeing an egg allergy, so I'll suggest an Eton Mess. . It's crisp meringue, fruit and cream swirled together. Replace the cream with something lactose free, even the cream cheese could work. Spike the fruit with alcohol. Fruit can be whatever is safe. It's a pretty hassle free dessert.

This sounds fantastic, and really versatile! Gonna try a few versions today. :)

Eeyo posted:

Maybe it's one of those elimination diets? A lot of those are common allergies so maybe they'll test them by adding one back at a time. I'm not a doctor but usually when an extra long list of allergies comes up, people usually claim it's an elimination diet or just a lot of bullshit.

No idea :( It's slightly frustrating to have your hands tied - but at the same time, it's a pretty interesting challenge!