Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Yeah, Parizeau sure spoke for every single resident of this province.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Pinterest Mom posted:

It has been at the vanguard of innovative and groundbreaking policy proposals that our country desperately needs.

The glossary alone is enough to fill me with impotent scientific-inaccuracy rage, and this poo poo isn't even anywhere near my field of expertise. I'm a "software engineer" for christ's sake, and yet I can tell this entire thing is bullshit because I produced better reports when I was in CEGEP.

I mean, who the gently caress writes something like this if not to pad a document to make it look "serious"?

The Esteemed Senate of the Dominion of Canada posted:

Joint
Cigarette of marijuana or hashish with or without tobacco. Because joints are never identical,
scientific analyses of the effects of THC in their use are more difficult, especially to determine
the therapeutic benefits of cannabis and to examine its effects on driving

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Hexigrammus posted:

I guess this is why Gretzky was stumping for HarperCo during the election. Not that he's been relevant to anything other than being rich for years.
He was stumping for Harper because he is Ukranian.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I think a more accurate translation would be "money and ethnic votes". It's "l'argent pis des votes ethniques", not "l'argent pis le vote ethnique".

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Oh my god.

The Senate Liberal Caucus is threatening to withhold support for legislation unless JT agrees to name one of them Government Senate Leader and put them in Cabinet.

JawKnee posted:

not to mention JTs promises of patronage-free, non-partisan senate appointments

Justin Trudeau is going to bring the Senate Liberals back into the LPC caucus, and then appoint 22 failed candidates and party insiders to give himself a Senate majority.

Canadians won't care in 4 years.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Suspicious posted:

Sorry didn't mean that of course. But it was a 49% vote, and there's the spokesperson saying they lost due to "ethnics", on national TV. That's a hell of a thing to say in public if you don't have wide support, as there is some serious baggage attached to saying a thing like that. He obviously wasn't just neutrally and objectively stating statistics.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
He was noticeably drunk. I was young but I remember noticing it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The Butcher posted:

Sorry didn't mean that of course. But it was a 49% vote, and there's the spokesperson saying they lost due to "ethnics", on national TV. That's a hell of a thing to say in public if you don't have wide support, as there is some serious baggage attached to saying a thing like that. He obviously wasn't just neutrally and objectively stating statistics.

Well, he also resigned the next day and was probably drinking, so he clearly didn't give a gently caress.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Just heard in the pub: "didn't they discover insulin to help fight polio."

Burn this fucker to the ground...

Everyone's well concerned about global warming, but does anyone stop to think that the annihilation of our species could be for the best?

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 31, 2015

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

PT6A posted:

does anyone stop to think that the annihilation of our species could be for the best?

Actually, I desperately want the world to revert to a wholly feral existence void of human life.

Don't kink-shame.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

If that hockey concern trolling was real, I think we should agree to ban sports teams from Canada so that literally the stupidest objection to taxes increasing can't be used anymore.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
One of the reasons I hate the prairies so much is because they loving love cfl so much. gently caress each and every one of you

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Sedge and Bee posted:

If that hockey concern trolling was real, I think we should agree to ban sports teams from Canada so that literally the stupidest objection to taxes increasing can't be used anymore.

The "gently caress millionaire athletes" stance is stupid because the tax increase likely won't affect them any more than the tax rates between individual states do (which is to say, basically not at all), so everyone crying for them probably shouldn't be. It could very well hurt the teams who might lose spending power if they have to make up for the taxes over an entire roster, which they probably won't, but it's not a realistic threat to most of them and even if it were that's still not a good reason to seriously reconsider doing it. Hike baby hike.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Cultural Imperial posted:

One of the reasons I hate the prairies so much is because they loving love cfl so much. gently caress each and every one of you

That's OK ci, we hate you too :3: plus CFL is terrible.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

No one except Saskatchewan gives the faintest gently caress about CFL, just so you know.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
and one might say the same about horse rasslin yet here we are

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

PT6A posted:

Everyone's well concerned about global warming, but does anyone stop to think that the annihilation of our species could be for the best?

live well and do not breed

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Don't worry guys the cops would never use a dirty trick like convincing a father to try to get his estranged son to admit to murdering his cousin!

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...l-too-far-judge

Oh wait.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
PAGING MELIAN DIALOGUE

SOMEWHERE IN CANADA A SHITFUCKING DOUCHEBAG COP DID SOMETHING REPREHENSIBLE. DO THE NEEDFUL PLS

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

PT6A posted:

No one except Saskatchewan gives the faintest gently caress about CFL, just so you know.

Then why did BC spend $500 million on a roof for BC Place? Don't tell me somebody actually watches the White Caps.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/quebec-to-ask-ottawa-to-match-1-billion-bombardier-investment/article27046364/

quote:

Quebec wants Ottawa to match $1-billion Bombardier investment

The Quebec government is upping the ante in the Bombardier bailout, saying it would like to see Ottawa match the province’s $1-billion lifeline for the Montreal company.

It is a tall order for the federal government. According to Industry Canada, Bombardier still has significant outstanding loans it must repay to Ottawa.

“From 1966 to date, Bombardier has repaid $543-million of the $1.3-billion received,” Industry Canada spokesman Derek Mellon said on Friday.

Quebec’s Economy Minister, Jacques Daoust, told Bloomberg News on Friday the province plans to ask the federal government also to make a $1-billion investment in Bombardier’s troubled C Series jet program.

“If the federal government comes in, the notion of risk completely changes,” Mr. Daoust said. “If the federal government also put in $1-billion, that would mean the C Series financing package would be complete.”

Mr. Daoust said he would telephone the Trudeau government’s new industry minister once the cabinet is appointed.

“In one week, we will know exactly who we’re working with in Ottawa,” the Quebec politician said. “I can assure you that in the following half hour, I’ll get his or her phone number and put in a call.”

The Globe and Mail has reported that the aircraft maker earlier this year asked Ottawa for a cash injection of $350-million in repayable loans to help it keep operating while finalizing the C Series. The industry department hired an external auditor to examine Bombardier’s finances, but the federal election campaign delayed a response from Ottawa.

Bombardier, the world’s only manufacturer of both planes and trains, is in the final stages of development and testing for the C Series, the biggest passenger jet it has ever produced. The airliner, which can seat as many as 160 people, is the company’s main hope for generating revenue over the next decade. Thousands of aerospace workers in Quebec, Ireland and China will make parts for the aircraft and assemble it. The company has so far received 243 firm orders for the C Series.

The plane is two years behind schedule and considerably over budget.

A spokesman for Justin Trudeau’s government, which will be sworn in on Nov. 4, said the Liberals are paying close attention to the Bombardier file and will decide on assistance after taking power.

“We are in the process of being briefed on the file, are following it closely, and a decision will be made after the government is sworn in on Nov. 4,” Liberal spokesman Daniel Lauzon said.

It is hard to imagine the Liberals saying no to Bombardier after the party won 40 Quebec ridings in the recent federal election, running on a platform that emphasized fiscal stimulus to help weak economic growth.

Reached later on Friday, Mr. Daoust’s office was more circumspect about what Quebec wants from Ottawa.

“We are open to have another partner contribute to the success of the C Series. We will therefore help Bombardier in reaching any potential partner on whom we can have a positive influence, including the federal government,” Daoust aide David Provencher told The Globe and Mail.

He said another investment partner is “not essential to the success of the C Series program.”

The Conservative government announced in 2008 it would lend up to $350-million to Bombardier. Paul Martin’s Liberal government had set aside the money in 2005, and it sat on federal books for three years because Bombardier’s plans were delayed as the company struggled to line up suppliers and customers.

News of the Quebec investment in Bombardier this week comes as the Couillard government faces increasing pressure for its attempts to put a lid on spending. All week, unionized public-sector workers, including most of the province’s teachers, have been on rotating strikes after negotiations hit an impasse.

The last major joint investment between Ottawa and a province was the auto sector bailout of 2009. Ontario and the federal government invested $13.7-billion to keep Chrysler and General Motors afloat, but recouped only about $10.2-billion.

hahahaha fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I guess I shouldn't laugh so hard. What can be more keynesian than dumping money into a dumpster of hot garbage

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Whiskey Sours posted:

Then why did BC spend $500 million on a roof for BC Place? Don't tell me somebody actually watches the White Caps.

Winnipeg just finished building a new stadium a couple years ago. And did such a lovely job that it's been literally falling apart and cracking at the foundation since.

Now provincial NDP is getting ready to throw another $35 million at it.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

JawKnee posted:

live well and do not breed

Unironically by far the best thing you can do for the future of the planet is to adopt instead of spawn. Plus doesn't it seem vaguely selfish to create an entirely new child when there are so many children out there that need families?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lol if you think it's easy to adopt a kid

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

PT6A posted:

A friend of a friend once asked me how "they managed to plant all those trees all the way up the mountains" when we were driving in the Rockies.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

I guess I shouldn't laugh so hard. What can be more keynesian than dumping money into a dumpster of hot garbage

Wouldn't enticing Canadian airlines to purchase Bombardier aircrafts ultimately lead to more Canadians on those things and all the associated misery that comes with it? I mean, if there's anyone who'd be happy about that, it'd have to be you.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

The "gently caress millionaire athletes" stance is stupid because the tax increase likely won't affect them any more than the tax rates between individual states do (which is to say, basically not at all), so everyone crying for them probably shouldn't be. It could very well hurt the teams who might lose spending power if they have to make up for the taxes over an entire roster, which they probably won't, but it's not a realistic threat to most of them and even if it were that's still not a good reason to seriously reconsider doing it. Hike baby hike.

The National Post doesn't give a poo poo about athletes or Canadian sports teams. The only thing they care about is throwing anti-tax poo poo at the wall until something sticks, and if it's "Think of the Jays!!" that does the trick then that's what they'll do.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
1 billion goes to Bombardier while the province apparently can't pay for healthcare or education. What a load of poo poo.

Gorewar fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 31, 2015

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Bombardier is a beloved LPQ client who's willing and able to bribe the party and its leaders. Students, sick people, poor people, and public servants (who are currently striking over wage cuts) aren't.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Gorewar posted:

1 billion goes to Bombardier while the province apparently can't pay for healthcare or education. What a load of poo poo.

Not sure why you edited your original post, but:

Pffff, I have people in my family who were "encouraged" to retire from Bombardier after a lifetime there a couple years back, and were then called back in shortly afterwards on a contractual basis. We're talking about high level administration/IT stuff here, the sort of positions where you can gently caress around with databases that have to do with HR, accounts receivable/payable, or whatever else you want with near impunity. Don't assume it's limited to the "low level" stuff.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Didn't Quebec get 49% equity in the C Series in exchange for their money? how would that work if the federal government matched it?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

cowofwar posted:

He was stumping for Harper because he is Ukranian.

The Ethnic Vote (and money) - not just a Quebec Thing.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Suspicious posted:

Precisely. In fact, if you draw his card, you have to leave the game in disgrace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlUVXRowiPg

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Heavy neutrino posted:

Bombardier is a beloved LPQ client who's willing and able to bribe the party and its leaders. Students, sick people, poor people, and public servants (who are currently striking over wage cuts) aren't.

The fact that these assholes were put back into power after only a single year makes me super mad and sad and depressed.

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

Gorau posted:

I vote we follow the NHS. All doctors are now government employees, none of this payed contractor poo poo. Doctors bitch and moan that they need to make 350k a year so they can pay for their office and staff. I say we solve the problem for them: they become employees of the government, government takes over all the other expenses, and doctors make 125k a year. Still vastly more than the population, but probably much more reasonable then they're making now. As an added bonus, doctors can now be incentivized to actually think about what tests/procedures/treatments they recommend and actually put the patient first instead of ordering a ton of redundant/unnecessary tests that costs the health system a ton of money and only serves to pad the doctors bottom line through fee for service.

A few pages back, but this is total bullshit.

A close family member of mine runs a PET clinic in my hometown. Basically every scan he does costs a patient around $2000. Kicker is though is the Radio-isotope used for the scan is $700 per scan. Then the Government takes another $700 bucks. What's left over is what he has to use for paying the rent and electricity of the building, cost of maintaining the scanner and other miscellaneous things. The guy doesn't even have an employee. Just his wife running around (who at least is a Nuclear Technologist) doing all the busy legwork as well as the actual scans. Oh and of course he has to feed his family.

Oh as an added "gently caress you", OHIP still counts PET as "experimental" even though its been around for 30 some odd years. So they capped by the Government and are only allowed to do like 100-120 scans a year.

Doctors getting overpaid is imaginary problem. Real problem is OHIP putting more and more money into already unnecessarily bloated programs like Radiology so they can give dose every kid with a sore foot with unnecessary radiation with a free X-Ray.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

vyelkin posted:

The National Post doesn't give a poo poo about athletes or Canadian sports teams. The only thing they care about is throwing anti-tax poo poo at the wall until something sticks, and if it's "Think of the Jays!!" that does the trick then that's what they'll do.

Not to get into sportschat but Canadian teams don't sign "big free agents" anyway for a variety of reasons: American athletes don't want to live in a foreign country, lovely weather, media overexposure, and poorly managed organizations where no one is held responsible for anything (e.g. the Edmonton Oilers) or where no one cares as long as the cheques keep coming in on time (MLSE).

also they seem to have wrote this after the Jays basically indicated they were gonna go back to aiming for mediocrity again, so, lol

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Doctor stuff (and, for context, I'm a family doctor in Alberta):

- Some doctors are paid too drat much. The classic example is ophthalmology, where cataract surgery has changed from a half-day, highly technical procedure (and paid as such), to a 20-minute outpatient procedure done by a robot... and still paid at the old rate. As a result ophthalmologists are paid an enormous amount of money for the easiest part of their job.

- I would personally do my job for substantially less than what I'm presently paid. Granted, I'm in a strange situation where my overhead is mostly covered by a separate funding stream. I'm also a filthy hippie who works in a homeless clinic so my views might not be representative of most physicians. I can also live very comfortably on a middle-class salary, because I'm not a complete idiot with money like most doctors.

- I'm a fan of the NHS model as mentioned above, wherein all overhead/support is government-funded and doctors are just employees. What they should be paid is debatable - it needs to be 'enough' to compensate for at least 10 and sometimes 15 years of rather difficult university, six-figure student debts, 60-80 hour work weeks, and fairly stressful work environments.

- There are enough physicians being trained in certain specialties, especially surgical ones. Orthopedic surgeons in particular can't buy a job. Now, there's still demand for ortho surgeries like knee replacements - the limiting factor is that there's no OR time, which is a combination of a) not enough physical operating rooms, and b) not enough funding for nurses to staff them when they do exist. In Alberta, the blame for that would fall squarely on the previous provincial government, and not on the physicians.

- There aren't enough family doctors, if we're going to accept that everyone needs a doctor. I would personally slightly increase the number of medical school spots but greatly increase the number of family med residency spots.

- Medical schools need to get better at not accepting outright sociopaths. (We already have enough surgeons). Maybe we need more thorough interview processes.

- Hiring international medical graduates (IMGs) is not necessarily the best way to resolve doctor shortages. Some are among the best physicians I've ever met. Some are absolutely terrible and should be fired into the sun. A disproportionate amount of 'boundary issues' (read: banging patients) seem to arise from IMGs, which may be 'less inappropriate' in the countries in which they were trained.

- Nurse practitioners can do pretty much everything a family doctor can, for about a third of the cost. We should be training many more of them to alleviate physician shortages, particularly in rural areas. I work on a team with multiple nurse practitioners, so I'm generally in favour of their profession and don't feel threatened as some doctors do.

- The 'guild' and 'college' portions of physician representation are separate. So the OMA's job is to advocate for physicians, while the CPSO provides standards and punishment. The OMA is free to launch ill-advised charter challenges (and I don't know what charter section they could possibly lean on), but there's an entirely separate organization whose job it is to make sure that doctors are adequately trained and not misbehaving.

- In general, the colleges look at physicians as highly-trained, sometimes difficult-to-replace assets. So, in the case of 'sexual boundary violations', it's probably better to provide mandatory supervision and limited practice rather than strip someone of their license. (As long as it was consensual, of course, because if not then it's a criminal matter and needs to be prosecuted as such.)

- That being said, colleges do need to show more teeth in terms of cracking down on poor physician performance. My particular bugbear is prescribing practices - I've filed complaints with my college and got some physicians banned from prescribing benzodiazepines and opioids, but it took far too long and shouldn't rely on another irritable doctor to get something done.

- I'm sorry this is a few pages late, but I was working.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Apples McGrind posted:

A few pages back, but this is total bullshit.

A close family member of mine runs a PET clinic in my hometown. Basically every scan he does costs a patient around $2000. Kicker is though is the Radio-isotope used for the scan is $700 per scan. Then the Government takes another $700 bucks. What's left over is what he has to use for paying the rent and electricity of the building, cost of maintaining the scanner and other miscellaneous things. The guy doesn't even have an employee. Just his wife running around (who at least is a Nuclear Technologist) doing all the busy legwork as well as the actual scans. Oh and of course he has to feed his family.

Oh as an added "gently caress you", OHIP still counts PET as "experimental" even though its been around for 30 some odd years. So they capped by the Government and are only allowed to do like 100-120 scans a year.

Doctors getting overpaid is imaginary problem. Real problem is OHIP putting more and more money into already unnecessarily bloated programs like Radiology so they can give dose every kid with a sore foot with unnecessary radiation with a free X-Ray.
You're not actually addressing the statement you quoted, which is that physicians should be paid as employees, not as small businesses. In this situation the isotope, rent, electricity, scanner, office, and nuclear technologist would all be paid by the Ontario government, as would (separately) the radiologist, who should be paid enough to feed his family and even take the occasional vacation.

OHIP counting PET as experimental is ridiculous, of course... but then, OHIP is a special kind of stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

PT6A posted:

Hey now there's a pretty large REDBLACKS! following here in Ottawa