Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Also, I don't think that's how rhetorical questions work...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Agrikk posted:

gently caress this and gently caress them.

Your reputation as an IT worker can follow you around and if there are people sitting around drinking beers after work saying, "Remember that guy who was working on that thing and he was out of the loop because they were going to fire him? What was his name? SIR FAT JONY something? I wonder what HE did to get fired..."

Then life moves on and you interview somewhere else and lo and behold, someone in NewCompany recognizes your name from OldCompanyClient and says, "I remember that guy! He was getting fired!"

That poo poo cannot stand.

Best part, was that he offered to pay me as a contractor to come back and help finish the project. What was his plan? Like have me show up, they ask "were you fired?" and then be like "lol wut".

I told him no, and when he pushed, I told him I wanted $150/hour, and I wanted to be paid up front before I set foot on a client site, and he was like "that's unreasonable." and I said "exactly."

He tried to bicker, but I responded "you do realize why I'm quitting right? How does come back to work here fix that problem?"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Agrikk posted:

gently caress this and gently caress them.

Your reputation as an IT worker can follow you around and if there are people sitting around drinking beers after work saying, "Remember that guy who was working on that thing and he was out of the loop because they were going to fire him? What was his name? SIR FAT JONY something? I wonder what HE did to get fired..."

Then life moves on and you interview somewhere else and lo and behold, someone in NewCompany recognizes your name from OldCompanyClient and says, "I remember that guy! He was getting fired!"

That poo poo cannot stand.

Exactly what I was thinking. I would have been livid and I would have personally told anybody that was anybody about the incident. How loving ridiculous.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

Exactly what I was thinking. I would have been livid and I would have personally told anybody that was anybody about the incident. How loving ridiculous.

Makes sense, but I didn't know they told the client what happened until afterwards. After my argument with the client, I just went to my desk since I was just done with the mess, and then they talked to the client themselves and told me afterwards what they told the client.

EDIT: Most of my clients from that job were on good terms with me, and after I left I kept in touch and use them for references still.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Finster Dexter posted:

La de da, just working on the ol' maintenance backlog. Start looking at and older story but it checks out. Email the requester for some clarification and started this epic email chain

1. lol that sure is epic xD
2. Do you know how to use the Edit button?
3. Nobody cares if you're changing system names for your story, that's kind of common sense

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Some of the new stuff happening in the world of Lync Skype for Business looks really nice, but the Mac client is stuck in 2011 limbo.

Sort your poo poo out Microsoft.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thanks Ants posted:

Some of the new stuff happening in the world of Lync Skype for Business looks really nice, but the Mac client is stuck in 2011 limbo.

Best part of O365 with Mac Lync is that you can't add contacts from the Lync app itself, you can search the GAL and chat with them, but you can't add to the client list. You have to log into webmail, find them, and add them as Lync clients that way. I'd really like to know why that is a thing.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Thanks Ants posted:

It should be out by the end of the year last I heard.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Something inane about S2B

We were testing the S2B client while we still had Lync on the back end. Lync would have all these weird problems, from not being able to copy/paste things, to randomly crashing 3 times a day. While we were testng the S2B client on our desktops, absolutely 0 problems.

When we switch to S2B on the back end, all the problems we had with Lync came back. Random copy/pasting not working, random crashes (though nowhere near as many). I'm starting to think the problem is no longer the clients fault. It works fine. It's the loving back end that's junk.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

wa27 posted:

Maintenance guy

Should have asked him why he's finding it so hard to use a couple of screws\studs\whatever. He's the maintenance guy, if he can't work out a simple mount he's useless.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Best part of O365 with Mac Lync is that you can't add contacts from the Lync app itself, you can search the GAL and chat with them, but you can't add to the client list. You have to log into webmail, find them, and add them as Lync clients that way. I'd really like to know why that is a thing.

Skype for business apparently doesn't like our AD directory or something. Any attempts to search for contacts in the program itself fails. If you want to find someone not already in your contact list you have to use outlook to find them and initiate the message from there.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
:) Hey Agrikk, Why does <name> pop up when I click on your cell phone #?

:argh: Based on the lack of information and context in your message, I have no idea.

:effort:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Agrikk posted:

:) Hey Agrikk, Why does <name> pop up when I click on your cell phone #?

:argh: Based on the lack of information and context in your message, I have no idea.

:effort:

I've had this conversation with a grown up regarding their office phone system:

Client: I want the name of the person I'm calling to show up when I dial their number, like Caller ID.
Me: Well, these phones don't support that, unless you make a directory that I can pull the information from
Client: No, like my cell phone, it just knows who I'm calling
Me: Yes, because on your cell you have their number programmed as a contact, so it pulls that data
Client: No, it doesn't, it's just caller ID
Me: No, caller Id shows you who when someone calls
Client: No, caller ID tells me, the caller, who I am calling.
Me: No, it doesn't
Client: Yes it does, call my cell, look it shows your name
Me: Yes, but I'm dialing you, on my phone it shows just your number because you aren't my contact
Client: Yes exactly
Me: Ok, I can configure caller ID
Client: No, I want my phone to show who I am calling so I know who I'm calling
Me: Well, you did dial their number so you should know who they are right?
Client: Don't sass me

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Skype for business apparently doesn't like our AD directory or something. Any attempts to search for contacts in the program itself fails. If you want to find someone not already in your contact list you have to use outlook to find them and initiate the message from there.

Our Windows Phones are synced to Exchange. Which is good.

Except that it doesn't retrieve a caller's name from the GALquick enough to display it when a call comes in, so you just get their number and you have no idea who is calling you.

You can make it work by copying the contact from GAL to your outlook contacts list. Except having two contacts with the same details seems to cause niggling issues.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

spog posted:

Our Windows Phones are synced to Exchange. Which is good.

Except that it doesn't retrieve a caller's name from the GALquick enough to display it when a call comes in, so you just get their number and you have no idea who is calling you.

You can make it work by copying the contact from GAL to your outlook contacts list. Except having two contacts with the same details seems to cause niggling issues.

One person on our helpdesk has put the general helpdesk number as her office number in outlook, so her name shows up every time first tier calls me about an escalation.
And she's sufficiently clueless that she didn't understand the issue when I sent her a mail about it :argh:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Apparently people at work are forgetting about how time works in regards to projects. If it takes 60 days to get circuits in (depending on construction), along with time needed to fix interior cabling at new locations, then that means we can't start before they finished. Even if someone really wants us too. That means new computers can't go in until our stuff is done. Our stuff can't go in until the circuits and cabling are done. Circuits and cabling can't go in until people actually start working on it.

What is worrying is management never stands up to a certain user that can make these dumbshit decisions and we'll all suffer for it. They seem to expect that users at these new locations will be getting new PCs and such the 1st week of January. Since we have to have stuff in before that, well that seems to be putting us traveling around Christmas. Which isn't going to happen.

Can't wait.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

CitizenKain posted:

Apparently people at work are forgetting about how time works in regards to projects. If it takes 60 days to get circuits in (depending on construction), along with time needed to fix interior cabling at new locations, then that means we can't start before they finished. Even if someone really wants us too. That means new computers can't go in until our stuff is done. Our stuff can't go in until the circuits and cabling are done. Circuits and cabling can't go in until people actually start working on it.

What is worrying is management never stands up to a certain user that can make these dumbshit decisions and we'll all suffer for it. They seem to expect that users at these new locations will be getting new PCs and such the 1st week of January. Since we have to have stuff in before that, well that seems to be putting us traveling around Christmas. Which isn't going to happen.

Can't wait.
The obvious answer is that everyone (except the decision maker) needs to work harder, plan better, or both. :colbert:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
poo poo pissing me off?

I almost got the dCAP with less than 2 weeks of total time training on it. Passed the written, got a 60 out of 75 needed on the practical. :argh:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Ynglaur posted:

The obvious answer is that everyone (except the decision maker) needs to work harder, plan better, or both. :colbert:

"You don't want to be travelling for the company around Christmas? You must not be a team player."

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

"You don't want to be travelling for the company around Christmas? You must not be a team player."

"You want me to travel around Christmas? You must not be a leader."

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AT&T is still all kinds of hosed up. Calls dropping, numbers not dialing out, they don't update tickets...

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
From Friday, but still:

Ticket in to ISP because client site on a VPLS link to their respective main office goes down. Cut the troubleshooting poo poo for brevity; tech from ISP calls me to tell me what's up. Turns out they turned on BPDU-guard (which apparently wasn't on already?) on their Cisco switch on site because the office switch was sending BPDU's into their network and managed to get elected as the root bridge for STP some time last week. Like what the gently caress? How does that even happen? How the gently caress does this lovely HP OfficeConnect both send a BPDU into and gently caress up your network? Between BPDU guard, root guard, maybe the errdisable set for bringing a port back up from shutdown after a BPDU flies at it, or literally any of the other million ways your network could not suck rear end?

Best part was he made it sound like it was MY fault. "It was your switch that caused this." gently caress you; learn how to network before you decide to lay out ISP infrastructure.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I just had an interview. A little rocky, but it's not going terribly. Then we get to salary talk.

He says the most he could offer is <30k. :fuckoff:

I made 31k at my first IT job.

This was for a Jr. Administrator job.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just had an interview. A little rocky, but it's not going terribly. Then we get to salary talk.

This isn't a job anybody should want.

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I hope they apologized for wasting your time.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Straight up say "I make more that now that offer is insulting". Ask for more then your usual minimum to accept for the insult. Many places do not know the actual value of IT, and a ton of people under value their own skills and work for nothing. That or they are actually bad and can't get through an interview of a place that is paying the proper amount.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I saw a job listed for a local co. and they offered 36k and required a CS/MIS degree. :lol:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I had an interview Monday for Linux administrator. One of the tech questions was:

Interviewer: You have a server that you want to add swap space too, however the hard drive is totally full, and you can't add a hard drive. How do you add swap space.

Me: Well, if the drive is full, you can't add a swap file at all. Do you mean the drive is fully partitioned or that the drive is full of data with no more room for any new data.

Interviewer: Yes, both.

Me: You can't add swap if the drive is full, you can't add a swap partition, and you can't add a new file to a completely full drive.

Interviewer: Yes you can. You sure you are a linux admin?

Me: Hold on, I think we are just not thinking on the same lines. I have a drive, it's fully partitioned?

Interviewer: Yes

Me: Ok, and then there's a bunch of partitions, all of those partitions are completely full?

Interviewer: Yes

Me: Ok, so the disk is full you can't add to it.

Interviewer: Yes you can, it's a two letter command.

Me: Well, you use mkswap and swapon, but a two letter command that lets you add data to a full drive? I mean you could use dd and just make a 2gb file, but you have no room for that file.

Interviewer: I never said there's no room.

Me: Uh....dd

Interviewer: finally

They called me back actually, but I don't them no, since lol 24/7 support of 50 servers. Not rotation, but you are the guy on 50, backup on 50, and then if you don't answer your phone, and the backup doesn't answer you get fired. Mandatory bi-weekly sunday maintenance/update changes and 4 months of hell work for a datacenter migration both physical and from AIX to Linux. Nope.

*if the disk was fully partitioned and all partitions were full, you could use dd and do something like dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/sda1 and completely nuke a partition, but the guy was not talking about that.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Adding 2 new Hyper-V servers to a cluster. Admittedly I'm a VMware man, but this can't be that hard. Yeah yeah sure run the validation I don't care

Like loving step 1, taking storage offline for validation.

YEAH THERE GOES A DATACENTER

Hyper-V you wily veteran you

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

pixaal posted:

Straight up say "I make more that now that offer is insulting". Ask for more then your usual minimum to accept for the insult. Many places do not know the actual value of IT, and a ton of people under value their own skills and work for nothing. That or they are actually bad and can't get through an interview of a place that is paying the proper amount.

I didn't say it was insulting, but I told them that I made more than that at my first IT job. I didn't want to burn any bridges just in case this guy knows people I will want to work for in the future. It's an MSP, so that's a possibility.

I'm just pissed off that they wasted my time like that. It's a bad idea to ask for salary range at first contact, right? I don't want to run into that again. I missed almost an hour of work and took my whole lunch for that.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

I had an interview Monday for Linux administrator. One of the tech questions was:

Interviewer: You have a server that you want to add swap space too, however the hard drive is totally full, and you can't add a hard drive. How do you add swap space.

Wait, so WTF did he mean by the "the hard drive is totally full" then?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Interviewer: finally

Even if he was right and you were wrong, this is a weird thing to say when giving an interview.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Skandranon posted:

I'm gonna go with he meant that the partition table accounts for the entire drive, but said it in a really stupid way.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Skandranon posted:

No idea. But you could use dd to blow up an existing partition, so technically even though it's full DD is boss.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Skandranon posted:

He meant that he doesn't know how to communicate in loving English, that's what.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm just pissed off that they wasted my time like that. It's a bad idea to ask for salary range at first contact, right? I don't want to run into that again. I missed almost an hour of work and took my whole lunch for that.

More and more I'm thinking that I'll be asking for the salary range of a position during the initial phone screen. Lots of companies post it with their open positions already, the worst a company can do (at least a company I might want to work for) is refuse to give a number right away.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

flosofl posted:

I'm gonna go with he meant that the partition table accounts for the entire drive, but said it in a really stupid way.

I specifically asked that. And he said yes. Then I said "is there any available space in any of the partitions?" No. "Do the file systems that make up the partitions have any free space in which to create a 2gb file that I can make swap?" No.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 2, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

No idea. But you could use dd to blow up an existing partition, so technically even though it's full DD is boss.

Perhaps it was the 95% = full, with the 5% reserved for root so you can still do coredumps, collect logs and avoid performance impacting fragmentation. Still a stupidly worded question.

If it's in that state, I'd be tempted to end my question with "... and I'd wash my hands of supporting *that* server after I do that."

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

He meant that he doesn't know how to communicate in loving English, that's what.
This

Erwin posted:

Even if he was right and you were wrong, this is a weird thing to say when giving an interview.

Anybody who says something like this is somebody I wouldn't want to work for.

quote:

More and more I'm thinking that I'll be asking for the salary range of a position during the initial phone screen. Lots of companies post it with their open positions already, the worst a company can do (at least a company I might want to work for) is refuse to give a number right away.

If it's a recruiter, ask for the salary up front and if they refuse, tell them you will only consider the job if it's ${x} + 20% amount.

If it's a business, tell them you were thinking of ${x} + 20% amount, and if they think it's too high, be willing to go down that 20% and not a penny less.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 2, 2015

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Yeah, I guess the data you blew away is someone else's problem... How do you find these places?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Honestly just the snark from the interviewer would cause me to eject that company from my pool of potential employers unless I was incredibly desperate. "You sure you're a linux admin?" Really? Guess you'll never know, prick.