Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

TriffTshngo posted:

I mostly only remember the parts of Fairy Tail that I was watching the anime for, once it went on hiatus and I switched to the manga the villains suddenly got really forgettable.

With regards to One Piece, I'm kind of the same way, but it's stayed memorable. I watched the anime all the up through Marineford before I couldn't take the pacing anymore, so I can remember almost every single side character and minor villain. But I still remember everyone from the arcs afterward too, even minor villains in One Piece have personality while most FT characters I can only remember if they have especially neat magic, like Racer or... the guy with the hat.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kohon
Feb 26, 2015

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

With regards to One Piece, I'm kind of the same way, but it's stayed memorable. I watched the anime all the up through Marineford before I couldn't take the pacing anymore, so I can remember almost every single side character and minor villain. But I still remember everyone from the arcs afterward too, even minor villains in One Piece have personality while most FT characters I can only remember if they have especially neat magic, like Racer or... the guy with the hat.

I'm assuming "the guy with the hat" is Rufus and not Reedus. I actually have a mini Gray keychain, but the only reason I bought it was because it has him wearing the hat.

Related to the most recent chapter, I'm really glad Mashima brought in Cana. We need more Cana.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

kohon posted:

I'm assuming "the guy with the hat" is Rufus and not Reedus. I actually have a mini Gray keychain, but the only reason I bought it was because it has him wearing the hat.

Related to the most recent chapter, I'm really glad Mashima brought in Cana. We need more Cana.

I didn't know Reedus had a name before this point, but yeah I totally meant Rufus. You were right to buy that keychain though, that hat was top tier and it is a crime that Gray did not permanently add it to his wardrobe.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Every time I see Rufus I think "Shinra," which I can't help but think would make this way cooler.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
A lot of indications that this could be a good arc:
Ezra getting her armor back -> remaining relevant past the initial fight and not being locked into a sex dungeon(?)
team up with Cana -> 2v2s(?)
Lucy's mom -> PLOT(!?)

Can't wait to see how hard Mashima's going to dash those hopes

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

pinegala posted:

A lot of indications that this could be a good arc:
Ezra getting her armor back -> remaining relevant past the initial fight and not being locked into a sex dungeon(?)
team up with Cana -> 2v2s(?)
Lucy's mom -> PLOT(!?)

Can't wait to see how hard Mashima's going to dash those hopes

Lucy's mom will in fact have plot so you can count that one under Mashima delivers

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I don't think I ever understood what Rufus's power was. Could he just copy everyone else's?

kohon
Feb 26, 2015

sharktamer posted:

I don't think I ever understood what Rufus's power was. Could he just copy everyone else's?

It was called "memory make" iirc. Kinda like Gray's ice make, but with memories. I think Gray won the battle by overloading his memory. I really wish more detail could have been spent on explaining his magic.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Lucy's mom will in fact have plot so you can count that one under Mashima delivers

Well, she's in a plot, so I think that counts. :rip:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Newest chapter is out and I am completely satisfied with how they beat Ajeel.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Yeah that was... actually kinda fun. More inventive than usual, actually made used of a side cast member, and stuff previously established. Plus Erza was able to use some of her other armours.

Good chapter, hope for more like it.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
These 12 were built up enormously for Fairy Tail so it is kind of weird to see one go down like, three chapters into the action

But the way it was done was pretty nice, and gives me hope that my boys Vijeeter and Nab will get their moments at last!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I was impressed too. When I read the previous chapter I'd assumed Erza had just won immediately by BELIEVING IN HER FRIENDS AND TRYING HARDER the way Fairy Tail characters sometimes do, and was relieved to see that Ajeel wasn't down yet and wouldn't be beaten by Erza alone.

Also interesting that Erza fought Ajeel instead of Dimaria, even though Dimaria is implied to be he one with powers similar to her own.

Speculation time: Wahl Icht has some kind of ability to trump rule-setting magic, which he used to undo Freed's barrier, much as Marin can trump spacial magic.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 26, 2015

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

yeah glad he didn't just get beaten by the "well I'll hit him harder" thing. Also Ajeel only getting taken out due to being hit with that big rear end cannon thing helps establish that these guys still aren't chumps.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Bad Mann. His name is Bad Mann.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Simoom posted:

Bad Mann. His name is Bad Mann.

I thought it was Bradmann.

Unless you are talking about Wall Eehto. The Japanese spelling of his name (Waaru Iihito) is a pun on warui hito which means bad guy.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
The one that looks like the Minions' Boss.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Simoom posted:

The one that looks like the Minions' Boss.

That's Wall.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Good chapter, I appreciated the build up over the last few

I don't know any of the bad guy names

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

Good chapter, I appreciated the build up over the last few

I don't know any of the bad guy names

I read "Ajeel" and was ready to get pissed over Gajeel jobbing so early. Thankfully what actually happened was pretty cool.

Although, "My friend's there! Shoot it!" may not have been a 100% reliable strat.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I read "Ajeel" and was ready to get pissed over Gajeel jobbing so early. Thankfully what actually happened was pretty cool.

Although, "My friend's there! Shoot it!" may not have been a 100% reliable strat.

That's where the faith in your friends comes in. Besides, we saw Erza tank Jupiter cannon shots years ago.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Sandstorms, draining water from people, fighting back with a water based attack... I know, I know there are only so many things you can do with sand, but come on!

That said, that was a pretty cool finisher.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ajeel was basically Crocodile from One Piece on steroids.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Say Nothing posted:

Croc can more or less do the same thing. Also the Canon would not have done anything to Crocodile who would have just reformed on the spot. Ajeel after all does not have intangibility only the power to turn what touches him into sand.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Say Nothing posted:

He lacked Croc's sophistication and class and charisma.

kohon
Feb 26, 2015

Say Nothing posted:

Haha I almost posted this. But I agree, he wasn't as sinister or classy.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
This has become one of those mangas where I'm cheering for the villains just because of how implausible their losses are and how the main cast refuse to do anything new or interesting.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nilbop posted:

This has become one of those mangas where I'm cheering for the villains just because of how implausible their losses are and how the main cast refuse to do anything new or interesting.

Is there a new chapter out or are you talking about Ajeel? Because his loss seemed pretty plausible to me.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Sniper magician using a giant cannon to snipe warships is cool in my books.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
BAD GUY: I've got a cool power that does something awesome how will you ever find a way to work around it.

GOOD GUY: Dang I'm losing wait no I punched even harder than last time I punched blow kapoom zowie the power of friendship wins again here's an rear end.

ME, THE READER: Hmmm I, er, think it's bad to see this rear end.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009

Nilbop posted:

You'd love Hajime No Ippo, dude

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
New chapter up on MS. Looks like one of the 12 did, in fact, go down easily. I'm pretty sure she'll wake back up and go back to fighting the protagonists soon, though.

Also, while I was expecting the other guilds to help out eventually, I wasn't expecting Ichiya of all people to play a major role.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Ichiya rules.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Nice art on robo guy. I always really liked the designs on the thunder god tribe, too. (when did they get eye magic, though? Oh FT, I never remember anything)

Kinda dumb chapters in general but I guess it's just brawl time.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Silver2195 posted:

New chapter up on MS. Looks like one of the 12 did, in fact, go down easily. I'm pretty sure she'll wake back up and go back to fighting the protagonists soon, though.

Also, while I was expecting the other guilds to help out eventually, I wasn't expecting Ichiya of all people to play a major role.

Don't be silly, she's a she, therefor she's going to defect so that Mashima has more titties to draw for as long as possible. Ichiya ruled, and it was nice seeing Gray and Juvia stripped together at the end again. For some reason seeing her take on his mannerism is very cute, though it's a shame he doesn't appear to have borrowed any of hers too.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Spiderdrake posted:

Nice art on robo guy. I always really liked the designs on the thunder god tribe, too. (when did they get eye magic, though? Oh FT, I never remember anything)

Kinda dumb chapters in general but I guess it's just brawl time.

It was revealed that they all had eye powers back when Laxus tried to take over the guild and no one knew why Natsu and Gajeel couldn't get out of a barrier that blocked those over 80.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nahxela posted:

Ichiya rules.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
The chapter teaser for 461 better not be a death flag for Ichiya

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
it is very refreshing and unlike this series to showcase side characters so much, and Ichiya is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Nahxela posted:

Ichiya rules.
Haha this. I was hoping they'd draw it out a bit longer for more suspense and wait till next chapter for the reveal. That would have been better.

The bad guy showing his a robot was both stupid and cool. You don't give away your secret man!

• Locked thread