Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

It never feels unfair though, a lot of it is on the player to balance the desire to clear that last room when everyone is bottoming out on health vs. play it safe and abandon the treasure and XP.

And have half your loving team get heart attacks from the stress of withdrawing from the place.
I'll give you the excellent atmosphere, but the game can get pretty unfair and grindy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I can deal with the cruel RNG, but the way fights drag out when things are going poorly is what bummed me out on Darkest Dungeon. The action has to pause so an afflicted party member can say their bit, which might cause somebody else to chime in, which might push somebody else over the line so you have to give it a second and see what happens to them, and then they have to say yet another thing. Combat is already pretty slow-paced.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

:spooky: RETURN OF THE 31 DAYS OF MOSTLY SPOOKY GAMES :spooky:

1. Knock-knock
2. CAPSULE
3. DARK
4. System Shock 2
5. Castle in the Darkness
6. Shattered Haven
7. Whispering Willows
8. Frankenstein: Master of Death
9. Kraven Manor
10. Our Darker Purpose
11. Stray Cat Crossing
12. Splatter - Blood Red Edition
13. The Emptiness Deluxe Edition
14. Clandestinity of Elsie
15. The Last Door - Collector's Edition
16. Albedo: Eyes From Outer Space
17. Murdered: Soul Suspect
18. Unholy Heights
19. Claire
20. Belladonna
21. Hektor
22. Neverending Nightmares
23. Decay: The Mare
24. Uncanny Valley
25. Black Mirror
26. Dementium II HD
27. Silence of the Sleep
28. Lakeview Cabin Collection
29. Sanitarium

30. Blackbay Asylum

I LOVE games that open with a dumb little disclaimer. It either means they don't actually take themselves seriously, or they take themselves SO seriously that you shouldn't bother to. Blackbay Asylum is the former sort, mashing top-down and first-person adventure gaming together with a liberal sprinkling of incredibly silly design. There's a lot of humor to be found here... which clashes more and more with the game itself the further in you get.

You play as... um... I think his name is Doug? I'm not entirely sure because it's never consistent, but he's a 6'8" mass murderer with a teddy bear and a soft side. My take is that you're not really supposed to sympathize with or revile him, just laugh along with him. And that's easy, because he has a ton of genuinely funny lines while examining the many hotspots of the asylum. I knew we were going to get along fine when he found someone ripped in half and shoved into a bookshelf, and said "That's why I don't read."

Most of the game is played from a top-down perspective, with you leading Doug around the grim halls to examine things, collect items, solve puzzles, and maybe figure out why demons have ripped everyone else to pieces. The puzzles are generally very clear and well thought-out, though the top-down perspective can make it very hard to spot key elements on walls, or odd objects on tables or floors. I had a tricky time locating a puzzle box in one office because it looked like a tablecloth. Of course, if you just click on everything it'll be less of an issue, which you should to get more of Doug's musings.

While the tone of the text is firmly tongue-in-cheek, the aesthetic is not and only gets darker. Flayed bodies are everywhere, and the demons get creepier and more startling the further in you get. The third chapter actually shifts things to first-person and ups the spooks pretty hard, with some corpse jumpscares, a lantern segment, and a gauntlet of horrors. Bear in mind that this all comes immediately after being eaten and pooped out of a giant monster. It starts to get weirdly whiplashy, alternating between goofy lines from Doug and Unity horror tropes.

There's a certain trashy charm to Blackbay Asylum, not quite as fully endearing as something like Splatter, but probably unique enough to keep you on board if you know what to expect. The exploring and puzzling is good as long as you're a little meticulous about it, and whether you're in for the laughs or the spooks, you're going to get something you're looking for.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Thanks for the response. I'll finish this and then I'd going to try and get through REmake without cracking and turning the game off like a baby, but I will keep The Condemned in mind for the future

I will say that the brilliance of Fatal Frame is that very little will diminish the scare factor. The gameplay, the combat, is designed to make you maximally-stressed, so if you're faint-hearted you will have a Bad Time.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

How hard is SOMA? part of me wants to experience a spooky robot story but another part of me really just outright hates constant hide and seek bullshit. I found stuff like Outlast and Amnesia really tedious so idk if I should relegate myself to watching a LP of SOMA or not.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
It's pretty much a guided adventure, like a novel in interactive form. There are some points where you're given the impression you might be making a Witcher-style major choice to potentially go off the rails but you're on the tracks til the end.

Speedball posted:

I kind of wish SOMA had more sophisticated hide-and-seek mechanics, you can't even hide under desks or lockers or anything. That's one way it has been eclipsed by other games aping Amnesia (Alien Isolation, Outlast). But I love its characters, even the posthumous ones.

Either that or it should've just been 100% exploration. And all the horror would come from your discoveries instead of ABOOGABOOGA YOU'RE BEING HUNTED.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The Giant Bomb quicklook of Blackbay Asylum is real good. There's some soul to that game. And I think it was made by all of two dudes so I can cut it a bit of slack.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

DeusExMachinima posted:

It's pretty much a guided adventure, like a novel in interactive form. There are some points where you're given the impression you might be making a Witcher-style major choice to potentially go off the rails but you're on the tracks til the end.

Either that or it should've just been 100% exploration. And all the horror would come from your discoveries instead of ABOOGABOOGA YOU'RE BEING HUNTED.

I thought that Soma hit a good balance on the whole between exploration bits (i.e., the vast majority of the game) and ohshitmonster pantshitting episodes. The only part that really felt tacked on was Alpha site. It would have been nice if they were a little less opaque on the Ross storyline as well. Dark Descent remains probably the most viscerally frightening game I've ever played, but Soma's worldbuilding and writing really elevated it imo.

I also just started Lakeview Cabin, managed to brutally kill myself with a rake within five minutes. Seems promising.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Bogart posted:

The Giant Bomb quicklook of Blackbay Asylum is real good. There's some soul to that game. And I think it was made by all of two dudes so I can cut it a bit of slack.

There really is. The more I think about it, the more I put it in the same class as Dementium II. They're both simple, low-budget games that embrace what they are and make the most of it. What they manage to do, they do quite well.

Spoiler for the final day: This is only the second year I've done this, but it's already tradition that my last game be a crushing disappointment.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I wanna play Soma, but the mixed reviews on it and my tight finances make me keep putting it off.

I never played Amnesia, but I watched an LP of Penumbra and THAT game was loving terrifying. Pure Lovecraft distilled to its basic elements: a guy alone in a hostile environment with ominous and often vague dangers all around him.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
So Lakeview Cabin 5, how is everybody puzzling it out? I've manged to:

kill everybody and find the resurrection method fine. In the limbo world, there is a man pointing to a hole in the wall, I haven't figured out how to view it since standing people on other people's heads doesn't count as boosting them up.

Managed to get into the locked house by smashing the pumpkin. There's a section with the sacrifice room, looks like everybody needs to die in different ways: shot by the police, falling off the house, overdose on pills and I can't figure the last one, might be get killed by Happydad? Also it looks like there's an attic but I can't get in there.

The videogame in the hidden room, I can't get the sacrifice to work. I've set the guys on fire and tried to put the baby in the coffin and the river when the moon is full, but the only thing is does is get the spectre all digitised. I'm guessing the ritual is unfinished, but don't know how to finish it.

The TV has the cult symbol on channel one. I broke the antenna by shooting it with the slingshot, and now it doesn't work at all. I guess that was a bad move.

It's so obtuse a puzzle game, I love it.

Silentlocke
Feb 13, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Can anyone recommend some cool PS1 or PS2 era horror games I may have missed? I already have played the Fatal Frames, Siren 1 & 2 and have seen Niggurath's LP of Kuon and Rule of Rose. I just feel like playing some older horror games because newer ones aren't really the same in my opinion, for the most part. Too reliant on jump scares or are closer to action games.

You seem to be pretty caught up on what's out there. I've found these lists to be helpful in finding some new things (they're mostly focused on survival horror though).
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/survival-horror/the-playstation-ps1-survival-horror-library
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sony/ps2/the-playstation-2-ps2-survival-horror-library

It's kinda hard to find new stuff (or forgotten old stuff) out there anymore. It's nice to stumble on something unexpected though, like for me years ago finding a disc only nearly untouched ex-rental copy of Shadow Hearts for 3$. I picked it up knowing nothing about it and really enjoyed it. Was really surprised to find it's kinda rare nowadays.

Found an LP of it if anyone is interested. http://lparchive.org/Shadow-Hearts/

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I wish there were more games like Alien: Isolation. I was wishing for a stealth-horror game with a truly dynamic, persistent main enemy for years, finally got it, and then realized how few games there were that appropriately scratched the itch. Anyone else know some games along that style that aren't scripted as gently caress or riddled with cheap jumpscares?

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Miasmata might be what you're looking for. You're pursued by some weird Panther thing that moves across the map in real time and acts like a vicious animal rather than a scripted jumpscare machine.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Can anyone recommend some cool PS1 or PS2 era horror games I may have missed?

It's not the most terrifying thing in the world but I was quite charmed by Capcom's other other other PS2 horror game Gregory Horror Show. You play a square-headed human child trapped in a haunted hotel and your only way out is to steal your monstrous fellow guests' souls. Lots of tailing oddball monsters around to learn their routine and later on lots of the Real Social Anxiety Simulator as anyone whose soul you've stolen will chase you around trying to kill you if you happen to cross paths.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Galerians

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

If ever a game could be described as a "corridor traversal simulator" it would be Galerians.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Galerians is more like weird 90's sci-fi anime than real horror from everything I've seen of it.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

:spooky: RETURN OF THE 31 DAYS OF MOSTLY SPOOKY GAMES :spooky:

1. Knock-knock
2. CAPSULE
3. DARK
4. System Shock 2
5. Castle in the Darkness
6. Shattered Haven
7. Whispering Willows
8. Frankenstein: Master of Death
9. Kraven Manor
10. Our Darker Purpose
11. Stray Cat Crossing
12. Splatter - Blood Red Edition
13. The Emptiness Deluxe Edition
14. Clandestinity of Elsie
15. The Last Door - Collector's Edition
16. Albedo: Eyes From Outer Space
17. Murdered: Soul Suspect
18. Unholy Heights
19. Claire
20. Belladonna
21. Hektor
22. Neverending Nightmares
23. Decay: The Mare
24. Uncanny Valley
25. Black Mirror
26. Dementium II HD
27. Silence of the Sleep
28. Lakeview Cabin Collection
29. Sanitarium
30. Blackbay Asylum

31. DreadOut

Why, God? Why did you give us an indie Fatal Frame built on Indonesian lore and set in an abandoned town in the mountains and make it bad? Why did it fail to have interesting areas or a compelling story or enemies that weren't annoying as all hell? What did we do to deserve such intense disappointment?

I seriously doubt He's going to answer those questions, so let's at least talk about how this happened. DreadOut is indeed an indie loveletter to the Fatal Frame series, a series that really should inspire more imitators. You play Linda, a strangely silent Inodnesian high school student on a trip with her teacher, best friend, and a few other people you will cease caring about almost immediately. They happen across an abandoned town up in the mountains, and like good little horror protagonists, wander into the school and get trapped. There's something off about Linda's BFF, and some early signs that the town was into weird rituals or whatever, but there's no big hook like Silent Hills or Fatal Frames have. You're just trying to get out of the school, so ostensibly the only great revelation in your future is where the janitor's keyring ended up.

The ghosts in your way aren't going to hold your attention either, and that's a real shame considering how rare and interesting Indonesian horror is. The first three you'll meet are a giant invincible pig, a bleached version of Sadako from The Ring, and a harmless businessman with a super wobbly head. Albino girl's the only one you can fight, and even as the first real enemy she's annoying as hell. Linda battles by taking pics with her cellphone camera, and to beat this one you have to photograph her four times until she disappears, find her again within like 3 seconds, and photograph the gaping wound in her back. She can, of course, phase through walls, so even if you know what you're doing it can take forever. Also, I played for an hour and she was the only defeatable enemy I encountered. Really, game?

There are moments of brilliance to the atmosphere, but they're lost amidst a sea of tedium. Most of the classrooms in the spooky school are empty or look pretty normal. There are two that have the chairs set in odd ways, and one of those gets a cool audio cue that gave me a little shiver. One thing really hurting the exploration is the aura you get signalling an item. When you get within like 20 feet of something you can examine, the edges of your screen turn blue, and get bluer as you get closer. There are no exceptions to this, so there's no reason not to charge down the halls and through the rooms at full speed until you get that cue. You also won't be finding healing items, weapons, ammo, or anything of interest other than plot items and files.

That's really the heart of DreadOut's problem, there's just not enough to do. Not enough ghosts, not enough items, not enough points of interest, not enough reasons to push forward. It's a depressingly thin game that has all the foundations of a great horror experience, just with nothing built upon them. Well, that's not entirely true. The game is ugly as hell. Everything is in muddy drabs, textures are stretched beyond recognition, and environmental details are rendered with 90s polygon budgets. If they were trying to fully imitate the PS2 classics, they got pretty close with the graphics, at least. It also has the ignoble distinction of being the only game where the How to Play menu option is essential, because there is no tutorial and literally nothing about how the game works is explained anywhere in the actual gameplay.

I wish there was a single reason to recommend DreadOut, but there isn't. No part of it is fleshed out into anything worth your time. You might as well just play the demo, which suffers the same problems but is short and mysterious enough to minimize them, and then assume the full game got lost in development hell. In a way, I guess it did.

I'll be back in a bit with a final post to give proper recommendations and cap things off.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I just want to recommend Corpse of Discovery. It's a "walking game" where you're an astronaut exploring a planet and completing simple objectives. It's not a traditional horror but it has the same atmosphere and mood of encroaching dread and isolation that 70s sci-fi had. The best I can describe it is the opening 30 minutes of Alien where it's these sweeping shots of a truly alien planet mixed with the man and AI drama of 2009's Moon. It goes on for a little longer than it should but you can complete it in a 2-3 hour sitting.

The game came out poorly optimized with zero fanfare but at $3 I highly recommend it. It's one of the neatest science fiction games I've played in a while and if it had a little more budget and polish it could've been something everyone would be talking about.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I wish all the success in the world to the Five Nights at Freddy's Guy

http://www.destructoid.com/five-nights-at-freddy-s-world-looks-strange-318439.phtml

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Macaluso posted:

http://www.destructoid.com/five-nights-at-freddy-s-world-looks-strange-318439.phtml

Oh my god :kimchi:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Macaluso posted:

Part of me says this is some huge bait-and-switch and FNAF World will be another horror game.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I was very disappointed in how bad DreadOut was. I spent 3 years in Indonesia in the Peace Corps and when I saw there was an Indonesian horror game i was all hell yes and bought it on that alone.

Initially I was disappointed there was no Indonesian voice track (But I would note that was later added to the USA release) and that the game just was not fun at all. I'd just be repeating what Zombie Samurai said but yeah, I particularly was disappointed.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I need to get back to it, I enjoyed it for the most part, but I hadn't quite finished when Act 2 and the patch hit and killed my save and I haven't gotten around to starting again.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

1stGear posted:

Part of me says this is some huge bait-and-switch and FNAF World will be another horror game.

I think the real horror is for all the streamers who flood to this game hoping that happens. And the fandom splits in half warring over whether or not this canon.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

1stGear posted:

I really hope it is, the games being good horror games is the only thing keeping me from throwing my hands up and leaving the series to the furries, where it was probably always destined to go.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Macaluso posted:

Bless Scott Cawthon's heart, but I really wish he would take a course in graphic design or something. :(

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
Incidentally the FNAF 4 Halloween DLC is out and while it isn't much there are some super creepy additions.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
I really hate DreadOut, and that unbeatable scissor boss

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

The scissor boss I didn't have too much of a hard time with, it was just tedious more than anything. Most of the fights were that way, they'd drag on to the point where you'd think there was some special trick to it you were missing, but in most cases there wasn't, you just needed to keep plugging away at it.

The textures issue is really weird, because in Act I when the game first released, they were a lot better looking, but in one of the big patches before Act II, they downgraded everything to much lower res textures. The game looked kind of aged from the start, so that really didn't help.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Has anyone mentioned the Obscure games? They're pretty ''good'' and have local co-op.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The scissor boss I didn't have too much of a hard time with, it was just tedious more than anything. Most of the fights were that way, they'd drag on to the point where you'd think there was some special trick to it you were missing, but in most cases there wasn't, you just needed to keep plugging away at it.

The textures issue is really weird, because in Act I when the game first released, they were a lot better looking, but in one of the big patches before Act II, they downgraded everything to much lower res textures. The game looked kind of aged from the start, so that really didn't help.

I watched a few let's plays of this game and it looked interesting to me. The people who played it seemed to walk away with an overall favourable impression, too. All agreed that Act II was superior to Act I for a variety of reasons, some genuinely creepy moments and much better use of the mechanics.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 1, 2015

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

ravenkult posted:

Has anyone mentioned the Obscure games? They're pretty ''good'' and have local co-op.

The first one was pretty great, but I've never seen a sequel be SO much worse than the first than Obscure 2. Holy sweet gently caress it was awful in every possible way.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Alright, I didn't play as many games as I wanted to but knocked off enough stuff to be satisfied. Quick recap

Dead of the Brain
Dead of the Brain 2
Marine Philt
Tamashii no Mon Dante no Shinkyoku yori
A pile of kusoge (poo poo games)
Ugetsu Kitan

And now to end with a bang!

Tokyo Twilight Busters (insert difficult to translate subtitle that's like Forbidden Sacrifice Imperial Capital Picture of Hell and whatever) is a 1995 game released by Wolf Team, one of the more prolific Japanese developers throughout the late 80s and 90s that put out a large variety of games in practically every genre. Now they're Namco Tales Studio and responsible for the long running Tales franchise.

It's hard to pin down TTB and its influences. Unlike traditional Japanese adventures this one is largely Western style point and click with an inventory. But in between adventure sections are visual novel sections where the story moves along at your pace. But it's also a survival horror RPG where you scrounge for items, manage limited supplies including lighting, and keep track of dwindling health and sanity meters. And taking a page from Maniac Mansion, all of this is in real time where events occur independent of your party. So Maniac Mansion + Visual Novel + Sweet Home + Quest for Glory... it couldn't be more ambitious!

Literal translation "I say, what is this!!!" Localization "WHAT THE HELL IS THIS!!!"

So the core gameplay is point-and-click. You examine objects and interact with them, usually searching them. But there's a lot of interactivity to be had here. If you can't or don't want to find a key then doors can be bashed open, either physically or with items. Items have limited uses so your trusty pipe can only take a couple swings before it breaks. You have to manage your characters health which is diminished through physical exertion and combat. You also have spirit or sanity which is lowered by searching or seeing scary things. This regenerates naturally over time which is constantly ticking.

Example of a scripted event

Visual novel portions have you explore industrial 1920s Japan

Events occur independently of your party and enemies will patrol or populate areas based on your interactions. You can hide in almost every screen and let enemies pass or fight them. Owing to the game's survival horror nature, you're stuck with limited resources so combat always feels tense. Even so there are often ways out of combat such as surrendering. Taking inspiration from Sweet Home you can split up your party into individual leaders allowing them to act on their own. Together they'll search or bash doors faster but separately you can complete puzzles in different screens.

There's no experience or shops here, just what you can scrounge in the field. The inventory is clunky and the game loves giving you junk. A handful of nails? What do I do with it? gently caress if I know, throw it at an enemy? There's no HP meter for anyone, just a description of your attack so what does more damage a stick or a knife?? But otherwise this is a massive and interesting game. Like a lot of Japanese media aimed at a teenage audience it freely jumps back and forth between violent horror and wacky anime hi-jinks but the setting and mood are always spot on. It's certainly the most interesting PC98 title I've played, both as a game and visual novel, and it absolutely sucks we didn't get this. It was remade on the DS in 2010, the perfect opportunity for a localization that never happened. And nobody really talks about it, I haven't heard any attempts at a fan translation and there's practically no information available in English. A spin-off called Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters was released on PS3 and Vita but I haven't played it and the gameplay looks pretty uninteresting.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 1, 2015

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Just wanted to voice my appreciation for these series of posts, always an informative and enjoyable read.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Same. They have been fascinating, especially the visual novel style ones. For someone who doesn't speak a bit of Japanese, are there any translated versions, or any way to play them myself? :(

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Captain Yossarian posted:

Same. They have been fascinating, especially the visual novel style ones. For someone who doesn't speak a bit of Japanese, are there any translated versions, or any way to play them myself? :(

Nope! You can find large romsets with a bit of searching and the emulators work well but I can't think of any fan translations. I've been trying to get into rom hacking and looking into the viability of doing something but we know console hardware in and out to the point where script dumps are well documented but I can't say the same for these microcomputers.

Around the 90s NEC worked with Microsoft to make porting to DOS simple. While Tokyo Twilight Busters is a PC98 game it's running in a DOS wrapper or something, I don't know the specs behind it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
There's a fan translation of Cosmology of Kyoto you can play, you need DOS Box too run it. I think there was a link posted in this thread to a folder where someone set it all up already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

:spooky: RETURN OF THE 31 DAYS OF MOSTLY SPOOKY GAMES - FINALE :spooky:

So 31 games, 41.6 hours, and 1 baby later, the deed is done. Below you'll find all the games I played and reviewed for this year's spooky season, along with a short description, current price (since almost everything is on sale), and whether I recommend it or not. The links lead to my reviews here in the thread in the Steam thread (sorry this post was a bitch to format the first time), and the titles in the reviews lead to the store pages.

1. Knock-knock - Weird horror rumination thing - $1.99 - RECOMMENDED
2. CAPSULE - Immersive, short space isolation - $0.99 - RECOMMENDED
3. DARK - Vampire stealth garbage - $2.99 - AVOID AVOID AVOID
4. System Shock 2 - Classic FPS/RPG scifi - $2.49 - RECOMMENDED
5. Castle in the Darkness - Simon's Quest fangame - $1.97 - AVOID
6. Shattered Haven - Inexplicable zombie puzzle - $1.29 - AVOID
7. Whispering Willows - Hella indie haunted house - $9.99 - RECOMMENDED (but wait for a real sale)
8. Frankenstein: Master of Death - Babby's first spoopy hidden object - $0.49 - AVOID
9. Kraven Manor - Walking sim school project - $5.99 - AVOID
10. Our Darker Purpose - Totally not Binding of Isaac - $2.99 - RECOMMENDED
11. Stray Cat Crossing - Mega creepy 2D walking sim - $2.00 - RECOMMENDED
12. Splatter - Blood Red Edition - Top-down zombie fedora action - $3.99 - RECOMMENDED
13. The Emptiness Deluxe Edition - My First Poser Jumpscares - $4.99 - AVOID
14. Clandestinity of Elsie - Don't make Silent Hill 2 in RPG Maker - $4.99 - AVOID
15. The Last Door - Collector's Edition - Super good cosmic horror adventure - $2.49 - RECOMMENDED, LIKE RIGHT NOW, SERIOUSLY BUY IT
16. Albedo: Eyes From Outer Space - First person pulp scifi nausea simulator - $2.99 - AVOID
17. Murdered: Soul Suspect - Terrible ghost detective collects really cool poo poo - $5.99 - RECOMMENDED
18. Unholy Heights - Japanese Dungeon Master tower defense awwww - $1.99 - RECOMMENDED
19. Claire - Like Lone Survivor but bad - $2.49 - AVOID
20. Belladonna - 30 minutes of lesbian Frankenstein - $3.49 - RECOMMENDED
21. Hektor - Seriously, rape hallway - $4.99 - AVOID
22. Neverending Nightmares - Gee this hallway was spooky the first dozen times - $4.49 - AVOID
23. Decay: The Mare - Why do my nightmares look like an unkempt warehouse - $0.99 - AVOID
24. Uncanny Valley - 2D choose your own horrible demise - $2.49 - RECOMMENDED
25. Black Mirror - Janky rear end old adventure game, still super good - $1.99 - RECOMMENDED
26. Dementium II HD - Cliched FPS horror was rarely this fun - $0.99 - RECOMMENDED
27. Silence of the Sleep - 2D horror/adventure, be ready for plenty of both - $3.39 - RECOMMENDED
28. Lakeview Cabin Collection - Slasher film sandbox, just buy it already - $7.49 - RECOMMENDED
29. Sanitarium - Classic horror adventure - $4.99 - RECOMMENDED
30. Blackbay Asylum - Trashy horror adventure - $6.79 - RECOMMENDED
31. DreadOut - Indonesian Fatal Frame, no wait it sucks - $3.74 - AVOID

Allow me to call out a few games that really got my attention this year:

MY TOP 3 - All three of these games were way more fun than I expected.
The Last Door - Collector's Edition
Lakeview Cabin Collection
Splatter - Blood Red Edition

MY BOTTOM 3 - If you buy any of these I will make fun of you.
DARK
The Emptiness Deluxe Edition
Hektor

And finally, let's do the drive-in totals: A whopping 314 dead bodies, 34 severed arms, 18 severed heads, 83 gallons blood, 8 gallons bile, 4 gallons unknown, zombie-fu, Franken-fu, vamp-fu, ghost-fu, statue-fu, baby-fu, snuggie-fu, fedora-fu, heads flying, limbs flying, guts flying, faces flying, souls flying, crows flying, clothes flying, three stars, check 'em out.