Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

broken clock opsec posted:

The point being that it is the exact same app running on the exact same device, just reflowing to a second display. It's not loading another copy of Sheets to a second device and opening that spreadsheet you were working on, it is already open to the sheet you are working on.

I get the point, what I don't get is why that would ever be preferable. Explain why a person would want to pay money for a dedicated device to do that rather than use a tool that is already in their home and does what you're proposing in a better way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

TollTheHounds posted:

Just go with the 5x for longevity's sake. The newer the phone you get the longer it should last you, if only from a software support/patching perspective from Google.

Keep in mind though the 32GB 5x is $559, so if you get a case too for $40, with tax ( in BC ) my total was $670. :canada:

We're just going to have to get used to the mental hurdle of paying so much "more" for stuff than the US, it's the mid-2000's all over again.

You're not going to get a decent quality phone for <$400 CDN anymore until/if ever we get back to the glory years when we were almost on par with the USD.

I've been looking at the Zenfone 2 which seems to be a pretty decent phone.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sbaldrick posted:

I've been looking at the Zenfone 2 which seems to be a pretty decent phone.
I'm glad you mentioned this as I need a budget-ish phone for my mum and forgot that this existed. Unfortunately there are so many drat versions of the Zenfone that I can't even figure out which one is which in any retailers and which ones I should/shouldn't be buying or for what price. Their marketing department should be proud.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

I get the point, what I don't get is why that would ever be preferable. Explain why a person would want to pay money for a dedicated device to do that rather than use a tool that is already in their home and does what you're proposing in a better way.

You do realize that a huge number of people only use a laptop and no longer have a dedicated "computer" in their home? It wouldn't make sense for me, but I can totally see the appeal of being able to bring in my phone, put it down on a charging pad or similar and have access to desktop "sized" applications on a BT keyboard and monitor.

I wouldn't have to worry about profiles or software plus phones for the kids, just get them a smart phone and buy a single home station. Double-plus convenient if we can do this as a one-cable or wireless solution based on standards. If a single USB-C cable could: power, display, and connect keyboard and mouse to a phone, then why not?

I couldn't imagine not having a desktop computer for all the stuff I use it for, but if I didn't have a laptop for work all I'd take with me on travel would be my phone, it does the 95% of what I need to do away from my desktop. Not many people have my "desktop" needs and would be perfectly happy with some kind of large-format (screen, keyboard, etc.) solution for the 5 times a year they need to type something up or use a spreadsheet.

In summary, this will seem like a stupid idea until Apple releases the iPad Pro 3 with Apple Home-Station to enable iOS Desktop mode then all-of-a-sudden it'll be the greatest idea ever.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Tunga posted:

I'm glad you mentioned this as I need a budget-ish phone for my mum and forgot that this existed. Unfortunately there are so many drat versions of the Zenfone that I can't even figure out which one is which in any retailers and which ones I should/shouldn't be buying or for what price. Their marketing department should be proud.
It's this one - http://smile.amazon.com/ZenFone-Unlocked-Smartphone-Silver-Warranty/dp/B00VWKKF52

Or this one if you want the higher specs - http://smile.amazon.com/ZenFone-Unlocked-Cellphone-Black-Warranty/dp/B00VWKKEYO

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 30, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

FunOne posted:

In summary, this will seem like a stupid idea until Apple releases the iPad Pro 3 with Apple Home-Station to enable iOS Desktop mode then all-of-a-sudden it'll be the greatest idea ever.
Pretty much.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

Just get used to it and adjust the way you hold it like everyone else.

No I think I'll just return it within the 14 day limit and get something a little less wide.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

FunOne posted:

You do realize that a huge number of people only use a laptop and no longer have a dedicated "computer" in their home? It wouldn't make sense for me, but I can totally see the appeal of being able to bring in my phone, put it down on a charging pad or similar and have access to desktop "sized" applications on a BT keyboard and monitor.

People don't have desktops because they don't like how much space they take up.

The problem with a dock + keyboard + monitor is it takes up just as much space as a desktop PC (and probably costs as much too)

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Like FunOne said, we’ve already experienced this evolution with the desktop to laptop transition. It used to be that desktops were always much faster than laptops, but that’s no longer the case. So why own two power plants, so to speak, with similar capacity (and at double the cost) whose biggest difference (aside from portability) is the size of the screen it’s connected to, when you can cut it down to one power plant that seamlessly connects to whichever larger display you may need for bigger tasks. Our mobile-only machine has all of a sudden become our primary machine. It’s about taking the guts of a computer, putting them into a single device that’s with you always, and having that power whichever screen and peripherals you need for certain tasks.

LastInLine posted:

This tool is in their home today, but tomorrow they might consider it a good deal to only have their phone as their dedicated computing device and purchasing a much cheaper laptop shell-thing that transforms the mobile experience into a desktop experience whenever it’s necessary.

Granted, there are various challenges along the way: latency issues, battery life on the phone, a well-designed OS for the purpose along with sufficient developer support, etc. But the idea of a smartphone being one’s primary computing device isn’t ridiculous. There are people living in first world nations (never mind developing ones) who rely on their phones as their only computer, and these devices are only getting faster, with more memory and larger SSDs. Their phone IS their computer. And the only reason why doing spreadsheets on a phone sucks is because of the tiny screen and touch interface, so why not offer a cheap laptop shell-thing powered by your phone to boot into desktop mode and get to work?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Santheb posted:

No I think I'll just return it within the 14 day limit and get something a little less wide.

People always say get used to it, but I returned my 2014 Moto X after 13 days because it was just too big.

Of course, now that smaller phones are basically non-existant, I'm thinking about just living with a 5x or 6p...

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

I've had this exact phone since my Nexus 4 poo poo the bed earlier this year and have had few complaints. Camera is meh, but everything else is exactly what I want and expect from a $200 phone. No sluggishness at all and the battery life has turned out to be better than I expected, I typically get home from a work day with 40-60% charge even with multiple hours of screen on time and that deficit can be quickcharged to almost full in like 45 minutes.

Asus has plans to bring 5.1 and 6.0 to the device but I'm not holding my breath.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Thermopyle posted:

People always say get used to it, but I returned my 2014 Moto X after 13 days because it was just too big.

Of course, now that smaller phones are basically non-existant, I'm thinking about just living with a 5x or 6p...

Use one of those grip training tools to improve your surely feminine and weak hands. Big phone are really good!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Butt Savage posted:

Like FunOne said, we’ve already experienced this evolution with the desktop to laptop transition. It used to be that desktops were always much faster than laptops, but that’s no longer the case. So why own two power plants, so to speak, with similar capacity (and at double the cost) whose biggest difference (aside from portability) is the size of the screen it’s connected to, when you can cut it down to one power plant that seamlessly connects to whichever larger display you may need for bigger tasks. Our mobile-only machine has all of a sudden become our primary machine. It’s about taking the guts of a computer, putting them into a single device that’s with you always, and having that power whichever screen and peripherals you need for certain tasks.

Desktops are still much faster than laptops that can reasonably be used as a portable device. Whether or not this matters depends on your usage.

As for cost I don't see that argument makes any sense - if anything a high end phone + dock + peripherals is going to cost more than a normal smart phone + normal desktop

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Propaganda Hour posted:

I've had this exact phone since my Nexus 4 poo poo the bed earlier this year and have had few complaints. Camera is meh, but everything else is exactly what I want and expect from a $200 phone. No sluggishness at all and the battery life has turned out to be better than I expected, I typically get home from a work day with 40-60% charge even with multiple hours of screen on time and that deficit can be quickcharged to almost full in like 45 minutes.

Asus has plans to bring 5.1 and 6.0 to the device but I'm not holding my breath.

They unlocked the bootlocker so you could do it yourself.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Can I just say again how loving fantastic Diztronic is, I mean apart from their awesome cases, their customer service especially? I wanted one of their cases for a Note 5, they don't sell this one on their website and the Amazon version doesn't ship to Canada. So I sent them an email asking if there were plans to sell this one in Canada, and within a couple hours their rep whipped up a custom invoice for me to pay via Paypal, and she's shipping one right to me for a normal Canadian shipping cost! What a nice experience when most companies are dumb greedy shitbags these days.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

dissss posted:

Desktops are still much faster than laptops that can reasonably be used as a portable device. Whether or not this matters depends on your usage.

Well I'm basing this on the average user, i.e., people who are being recommended cheap laptops and Chromebooks (something we laughed at just a few years ago) to do their daily stuff. And these people are totally content with their machines after purchase.

quote:

As for cost I don't see that argument makes any sense - if anything a high end phone + dock + peripherals is going to cost more than a normal smart phone + normal desktop

The dock + peripherals would last you a long time at a fraction of the cost of a full-fledged laptop/desktop. You're essentially just buying the screen, after it's all said and done. How often do you replace your external monitor? Your K&M? The only thing really being replaced frequently is the phone, and as you guys often mention in this thread, mid-range phones are becoming good enough that they're eating away at the high-end market. Today a Chromebook has enough horsepower for the average person, imagine the equivalent happening with future smartphones that will serve as the primary power plant.

But I will concede about the issues that arise with this platform, including the idea of having to set everything up again with a new phone and the other stuff I mentioned, but I'm on the side that thinks there's something to it. Further reading lead me to Microsoft pushing Continuum for developing countries, so we'll just have to wait and see how that turns out and if can apply to first world nations.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

How does FedEx stay in business? I've been waiting on my phone all day, UPS and USPS both delivered packages today from farther distances and both arrived before 2pm and somehow FedEx has my package on their truck since 6am.

Do they only have one truck for the whole state?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I don't know where to post this but I used Samsung pay for the first time at the grocery store and it was really easy and cool

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Butt Savage posted:

The dock + peripherals would last you a long time at a fraction of the cost of a full-fledged laptop/desktop. You're essentially just buying the screen, after it's all said and done. How often do you replace your external monitor? Your K&M? The only thing really being replaced frequently is the phone, and as you guys often mention in this thread, mid-range phones are becoming good enough that they're eating away at the high-end market. Today a Chromebook has enough horsepower for the average person, imagine the equivalent happening with future smartphones that will serve as the primary power plant.

How often do you replace your desktop? If it's only Atom grade performance you're after then any old Core2 Duo from 7 years ago will be fine and those are worth approximately nothing these days.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Ciprian Maricon posted:

How does FedEx stay in business? I've been waiting on my phone all day, UPS and USPS both delivered packages today from farther distances and both arrived before 2pm and somehow FedEx has my package on their truck since 6am.

Sometimes you are on the beginning of the route, other times you are on the end. The package was scanned onto the truck at 6am, if it is a ground driver they probably didn't get on road until 9 or so.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Its been my experience that Fedex in my area is way better than UPS/USPS. It just depends on the drivers mostly.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I would 100% buy a dock-my-phone-convert-to-laptop thing if one ever came out.

I don't own a desktop, haven't for years, I just have my work laptop which I only use for work really, a test laptop I throw random builds of linux on for fun ( so most of the time it's not functional because I tend to break things on purpose ) and a raspberry pi/chromecast/ps4 as media center/games.

I use my phone for everything else.

I would love to be able to come home and plop my phone into a dock to charge and then display to a larger screen so I can do stuff on a large screen instead of a small one ( no matter how giant your giant-phone is, it is not bigger than a laptop screen ) and juice up at the same time. I might actually buy/play a game on my phone if that were the case, sending emails by typing on an actual full-sized keyboard would be great, etc.

As it is now, if I want to take advantage of a "laptop" experience I have to get my work laptop out of my bag, fire it up ( waiting ~30 seconds ), sign in, wait for windows to get me in, wait for wifi to connect, load up chrome. Sure I could buy ANOTHER device ( cheap laptop or desktop is still going to cost a few hundred $$'s ) to do this, and maybe leave it always on/always unlocked but then it's just another computer I have sitting around doing nothing until I decide to use it, eating up power.

As it could be, I grab my lapdock, plop my phone on, tap and have something come up instantly.

Chromecast is fun if you mirror screen but it's just not practical if I want to send emails ( typing on a full sized keyboard ) and you have to enable the marker to see where you're tapping otherwise you have to keep looking down at your phone, defeating the purpose of mirroring it to a TV.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 30, 2015

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I wonder if FedEx doesn't put priority on offices before residential. At any of the places I've lived in Chicago, it's usually a 6 or 7pm delivery time. At my office or my wife's, it's around 11am.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

dissss posted:

How often do you replace your desktop? If it's only Atom grade performance you're after then any old Core2 Duo from 7 years ago will be fine and those are worth approximately nothing these days.

Yep, that's a good point. It's just that I really like the thought of a small device like a phone being THE device that provides a ton of flexibility and can transform into different platforms: desktop usage, laptop usage, even TV or tablets. I envision a day when I can wake up, have Cortana/Siri/Now immediately turn on my TV with the screen split into different sections showing me a television channel, weather, to-do list, etc. Sort of like a central command being powered by my phone. And this same phone powers my laptop when I'm in school/work without having to worry about app compatibility or syncing through cloud or a Handoff-like feature.

We'll just have to wait and see, really. What I'm proposing may be way beyond what even Microsoft is thinking, but we won't know until a few years down the road.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

beerinator posted:

I wonder if FedEx doesn't put priority on offices before residential. At any of the places I've lived in Chicago, it's usually a 6 or 7pm delivery time. At my office or my wife's, it's around 11am.
This is true for both UPS and FedEx. I always have stuff I want to play with asap (phones, tablets, etc) sent to work. It also helps not to have expensive items left sitting on your front doorstep.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Definitely depends on your area and the truck route of the day.

I'm finding the 6P is just too drat big and too drat slipper. Seriously considering returning it for a 5X.
If there was a 5P at the same price point as the 6P, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. It's the little things annoy me about the 5X (not my 6P). 120fps vs 240fps slo mo, mono front speakers that look like they are stereo, the battery being quite a bit smaller despite being a (slightly) thicker phone.... WTF google. And 32gb vs 32gb only $70 difference. Doesn't seem like the alum body, faster SoC, extra gig of ram, second speaker, etc are only worth $70 in materials.

For those who have a 5X in hand, is it grippy on the back like the original N5 was? I could hold that in one hand easy. The 6P just wants to slide like its on ice skates.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

TollTheHounds posted:

As it is now, if I want to take advantage of a "laptop" experience I have to get my work laptop out of my bag, fire it up ( waiting ~30 seconds ), sign in, wait for windows to get me in, wait for wifi to connect, load up chrome. Sure I could buy ANOTHER device ( cheap laptop or desktop is still going to cost a few hundred $$'s ) to do this, and maybe leave it always on/always unlocked but then it's just another computer I have sitting around doing nothing until I decide to use it, eating up power.

As it could be, I grab my lapdock, plop my phone on, tap and have something come up instantly.

A desktop will use a nominal amount of power when asleep, and you can buy one extremely cheaply if you don't need any real performance.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

beerinator posted:

Offices typically are on a scheduled window. Ours does deliveries between 4 and 5 PM like clockwork.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

dissss posted:

A desktop will use a nominal amount of power when asleep, and you can buy one extremely cheaply if you don't need any real performance.

Sure, but I can't put a desktop on my lap on the couch or in bed or carry it with me when travelling. I could accomplish those things with a tablet/bluetooth keyboard cover type deal, but then I'm buying 2 additional things I don't really want.

My ideal solution would be something laptop-like that I dock my phone on to. That Motorola thing is basically exactly what I want, only now instead of 7 years ago.

1 device, 1 accessory, 100% satisfaction, Android Lapdock*TM.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

TollTheHounds posted:

Sure, but I can't put a desktop on my lap on the couch or in bed or carry it with me when travelling. I could accomplish those things with a tablet/bluetooth keyboard cover type deal, but then I'm buying 2 additional things I don't really want.

My ideal solution would be something laptop-like that I dock my phone on to. That Motorola thing is basically exactly what I want, only now instead of 7 years ago.

So replace desktop with laptop then - I don't see why having to dock your phone into it should count as an advantage.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Nexus 6P first full day on a full charge. 14 plus hours and still 50% remaining.

It was on wifi all day and most days I would have had another hour of data streaming podcasts during my commute (worked from home today).

My old Nexus 5 would have had to have been on the charger hours ago.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

TollTheHounds posted:

You should buy a surface pro and a windows phone.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Can I just say again how loving fantastic Diztronic is, I mean apart from their awesome cases, their customer service especially? I wanted one of their cases for a Note 5, they don't sell this one on their website and the Amazon version doesn't ship to Canada. So I sent them an email asking if there were plans to sell this one in Canada, and within a couple hours their rep whipped up a custom invoice for me to pay via Paypal, and she's shipping one right to me for a normal Canadian shipping cost! What a nice experience when most companies are dumb greedy shitbags these days.

Thanks, just bought one of their cases for my 5X because of this post. Wish they had a few more color options but I'll settle with gray for now just to get something on this thing so I don't feel like I'll constantly drop it.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

dissss posted:

So replace desktop with laptop then - I don't see why having to dock your phone into it should count as an advantage.

Docking the phone would charge it with the much larger battery that could last me a few hours and let me continue to use the same interface and everything I have installed on the device - games or specific apps for example that I can't get on a laptop OS. To simplify things for the sake of argument:

I already paid $10 for Nerd Fantasy 15 on the Google Play Store, so even if it exists on Steam I shouldn't have to buy it there too for another $10 ( if I'm lucky it's the same price ) and then wait for game saves to sync ( assume Steam does this, I have no idea ), etc.

Put phone down, pick up laptop, turn on laptop, sign in, start Steam, wait for save sync, start game .

vs.

Pick up Lapdock, put in phone, tap Game.

uPen posted:

You should buy a surface pro and a windows phone.

That would involve spending an extra $2500 ( :canada: ) and I'd still have to use a Windows Phone.

vs.

Buying Google LapDock for $300 ( or whatever ).

[edit] This is just future wishful thinking, it's not like I'm sitting here angry that I can't make this a reality now, I'm just saying it would be really cool. More cool perhaps when the mobile experience ( gaming, productivity, utilities ) is robust enough to be a close ( if not complete ) replacement of everything I do on a laptop/ps4 right now. That day may never come, but I can dream. :unsmith:

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 31, 2015

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

TollTheHounds posted:

[edit] This is just future wishful thinking, it's not like I'm sitting here angry that I can't make this a reality now, I'm just saying it would be really cool. More cool perhaps when the mobile experience ( gaming, productivity, utilities ) is robust enough to be a close ( if not complete ) replacement of everything I do on a laptop/ps4 right now. That day may never come, but I can dream. :unsmith:

Some day, friend. Some day. :unsmith:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

For Moto X Pure Style owners, I've had the phone for about a week now and I'm still getting pretty serious hitching constantly. Anyone else had this problem? I can be web browsing (hitches and losing tracking), texting, playing games, whatever.

Any good software I can use to see what's causing a CPU spike or anything like that? I'm not sure if something screwy is running or something's wrong with the phone or it's just still working itself out, but it's getting seriously annoying already.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I gotta say, the larger size of the N6P makes the 6.0 / Nova Launcher bug of slow notification expansion way more annoying. On my N5 I just pretty much always swiped from the top of the screen since it was within thumb range and so never ran into it, but on the N6P I can't and it bugs the hell out of me every time.

On another note, I discovered today the existence of the System UI Tuner, which allows for the editing of the Quick Settings panel in 6.0. I've wanted this ever since they added the Quick Settings, and it's weird that none of the reviews or articles seems to have mentioned it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

For Moto X Pure Style owners, I've had the phone for about a week now and I'm still getting pretty serious hitching constantly. Anyone else had this problem? I can be web browsing (hitches and losing tracking), texting, playing games, whatever.

Any good software I can use to see what's causing a CPU spike or anything like that? I'm not sure if something screwy is running or something's wrong with the phone or it's just still working itself out, but it's getting seriously annoying already.

Depends on what you have installed. I don't have any problems with hitching or lag, but I don't gently caress around with too many apps. It sounds like something might be trying to sync in the background, loving up one way or another, and panicking.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

beerinator posted:

Nexus 6P first full day on a full charge. 14 plus hours and still 50% remaining.

It was on wifi all day and most days I would have had another hour of data streaming podcasts during my commute (worked from home today).

My old Nexus 5 would have had to have been on the charger hours ago.

I'm at a little over 40% after 15 hours, so not too far off from you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
TollTheHounds, why do you put spaces between parentheses and the words they're surrounding? I've never seen that outside of code. It's a little weird when a line break hits your space so e.g. the closing parenthesis is on the next line!