Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

bowmore posted:

plenty of jump scares in Alien

Hence the lol.

Alien is basically 100% jump scares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I am prepared. It's something I probably should have watched by now anyway.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Ecco have you considered the spooky movie mars needs moms

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I said I wanted spooky, keane, that's two spooky four me.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

if you want a movie that you won't able to sleep after watching, how about Loose Change

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
lol men are the worst.

e: omg the facehugger is a giant gross alien vagina.

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Oct 31, 2015

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Asiina posted:

Hence the lol.

Alien is basically 100% jump scares.

bullshit. that movie has dread and atmosphere better than pretty much any horror film in the past few decades.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

EccoRaven posted:

lol men are the worst.

e: omg the facehugger is a giant gross alien vagina.

actually it's more like a walking penis.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I dunno I'm definitely getting more of a space patriarchy vibe from the whole thing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It's Alien Rape Immasculation. Why do you think all the big tough space men die first?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

if you want a movie that you won't able to sleep after watching, how about Foodfight!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
what a delightfully spooky film! thanks for the suggestion taste.

Poison Mushroom posted:

It's Alien Rape Immasculation. Why do you think all the big tough space men die first?
john hurt is many things but "big tough space man" isn't really one of them. I think you're thinking of Aliens, which I remember having a lot of castration imagery.

This one was more about motherhood and patriarchy.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Asiina posted:

The Babadook and It Follows for newer movies.

Rosemary's Baby, House on Haunted Hill and The Haunting (originals only) for older movies.

Tale of Two Sisters and Spoorloos for non-English movies.

You left how the Shining. But yeah seconding Babadook and It Follows for modern classics.

Any good scary movies out since then though? In theaters? Why do I love a genre that regularly sucks.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Yeah, Alien is definitely not all jump scares. It's mostly suspense and tension, honestly. Still great horror.

I didn't really enjoy The Babadook. I liked the plot and I liked what they did and I really think the whole idea behind it is very cool, but just watching it was kinda boring. It Follows is great, though. The original House on Haunted Hill is in no way a spooky movie or even really a horror movie - it's a parody of old 1920s movies, really and it is kinda meta.

TMMadman posted:

Why can't you just wear scrubs while teaching everyday?

We have a dress code and Halloween is only once a year!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Become a nursing teacher?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Poison Mushroom posted:

Become a nursing teacher?

If I see blood then I can't control my vampiric urges. It would not be a good career choice!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
To keep up the theme of the world making GBS threads on me, last night my laptop broke.

What must a girl do to catch a break, mafia thread?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think you must be pretty jaded if you thought the Babadook was boring

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

bowmore posted:

I think you must be pretty jaded if you thought the Babadook was boring

I don't know why I couldn't get into it! Like I said, I appreciate almost everything about its construction, but the act of watching it was boring. It should have felt suspenseful but it just didn't.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
maybe my expectations were too high given how positively it had been rated and received, but i wasn't terribly into it either. it had some good moments, mostly earlier on.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Alien is completely jump scares. It's suspense because it is leading up to BOO! moments.

I was wrong to leave out The Shining though. That movie is interesting because I saw it so many times as a kid of TBS, with scary parts cut out and interspersed with commercials that the first time I watched the full movie in a dark room it was actually quite scary, despite knowing everything that happens. You don't get that with jump scare movies. Once you know where all the LOUD NOISES moments are, they lose their effect.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Is babadook that movie that has the kid telling stories to the lady that's gonna eat him?

Also John carpenters The Thing is pretty great.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Magnus Gallant posted:

Is babadook that movie that has the kid telling stories to the lady that's gonna eat him?

Also John carpenters The Thing is pretty great.

No, it is about a mother and child and a book that maybe is haunted??? That's not really it, but spoilers.

The Thing annoyed me a lot because it is basically the epitome of stupid decisions that movie characters make that make the situation worse.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
So early in the movie they establish a set of rules for the thing and come up with a plan to contain the situation, and then basically do everything they can to break every single one of those rules.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Asiina posted:

Pretty Little Liars annoyed me a lot because it is basically the epitome of stupid decisions that TV Show characters make that make the situation worse.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I don't watch that bad show.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Asiina posted:

The Thing annoyed me a lot because it is basically the epitome of stupid decisions that movie characters make that make the situation worse.

alien was kind of the same way, though they did handwave it with Ash's secret mission.

also I don't know where you guys are coming with the "it's 100% jump scares" thing. Almost every jump is telegraphed really really obviously.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Asiina posted:

Alien is completely jump scares. It's suspense because it is leading up to BOO! moments.

except it isn't, though.

there are plenty of scenes that are about slowly rising terror. where you know it's in the room with one of the characters, because they'll show it to you, but they won't know. or maybe they do know but have to act carefully. are there moments where the tension climaxes in a sudden action or realization? sure. if that's a jump scare then it's at least an example of where they're used effectively.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Ecco have you seen Halloween classic Hocus Pocus it is very spooky.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think what bothered me about The Thing over other movies that have dumb decisions that are required to keep the plot going is that the characters all gather around about 1/3rd of the way into the movie and have this little meeting where they very explicitly go over the rules to The Thing (it can create a perfect copy of anyone, but it takes a period of time alone with them where it is vulnerable, and that they are stronger than it when they are together). I thought that was great, it's not often that a movie has its characters be so prepared for what is happening to them. But then they basically find any excuse to split up and find themselves alone. By the time they break and decide to all stick together no matter what it is far, far too late. They had their opportunity to control the situation and threw is all away because ??????

It annoyed me a lot.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Also honestly I haven't seen Alien in a long time so I might be misremembering it. I will watch it again soon and maybe I am wrong.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

EccoRaven posted:

also I don't know where you guys are coming with the "it's 100% jump scares" thing. Almost every jump is telegraphed really really obviously.

Exactly, and it's meant to be telegraphed. You know it's coming. Jump scares come from nowhere.

Adus posted:

except it isn't, though.

there are plenty of scenes that are about slowly rising terror. where you know it's in the room with one of the characters, because they'll show it to you, but they won't know. or maybe they do know but have to act carefully. are there moments where the tension climaxes in a sudden action or realization? sure. if that's a jump scare then it's at least an example of where they're used effectively.

Yes, this.

Asiina, how can you be annoyed with characters' bad decisions in The Thing but still like the original House on Haunted Hill?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Which "The Thing" movie are you talking about Asiina?

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Asiina posted:

I think what bothered me about The Thing over other movies that have dumb decisions that are required to keep the plot going is that the characters all gather around about 1/3rd of the way into the movie and have this little meeting where they very explicitly go over the rules to The Thing (it can create a perfect copy of anyone, but it takes a period of time alone with them where it is vulnerable, and that they are stronger than it when they are together). I thought that was great, it's not often that a movie has its characters be so prepared for what is happening to them. But then they basically find any excuse to split up and find themselves alone. By the time they break and decide to all stick together no matter what it is far, far too late. They had their opportunity to control the situation and threw is all away because ??????

It annoyed me a lot.

Because humans are not perfect and are slaves to their emotions.

TMMadman posted:

Which "The Thing" movie are you talking about Asiina?

The only one, John Carpenter's.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Mar 27, 2020

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Also anyone who owns a house or needs to buy power equipment in the future.

Do not buy power equipment from the big box stores (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.). There is a john deere (a pretty good brand) that just came in my shop that has the model #'s typically associated with Homelite (a real poo poo brand). What companies do is dumb down their versions for the big box stores so the stores can sell them cheaper. Sometimes the model that you see at the big box store compared to the exact same model at a dealer will be made with completely different parts, because the manufacturer knows that Lowe's will have to deal with the customer service and warranty and not themselves.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

EccoRaven posted:

hocus pocus is very fun, my friend and I have concluded that we would be very good witches. we would go straight with the children-baking and looking beautiful without all that nonsense in the middle.

that's kind of a cop-out though.

It's true though, no one is going to be stoic and make perfectly logical decisions.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Magnus Gallant posted:

It's true though, no one is going to be stoic and make perfectly logical decisions.

you got me in the 30 seconds between my first and second ninja edits haha

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
The rugby world cup grand final is about to start! Turn it on friends!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I would make stoic and logical decisions, as I make stoic and logical decisions at all times.