Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Why do people post this bad political cartoon in the thread that was originally created to mock a bad political cartoon :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Picnic Princess posted:

Teach me how to make a decent wage by being offended, I need some easy money.

1. Have no sense of shame, decency, or irony
2. Make a generally lovely comic strip about a farm animal complaining about things that offend him you
3. Get it in newspapers
4. Profit

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 31, 2015

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Rorus Raz posted:

Why do people post this bad political cartoon in the thread that was originally created to mock a bad political cartoon :iiam:

It's a perfect example of mock threads turning people into obsessive weirdos imo

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

It's a perfect example of mock threads turning people into obsessive weirdos imo
Give them a few more posts and with any luck we'll be eating a new bowl of gently caress, so it's worth it imo

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Crossposting myself from the Liturgical Christianity thread over in A/T:

System Metternich posted:

Happy Reformation Day, Protestant goons! :angel:

post the lfest 16th century caricatures u got

"The seven heads of Martin Luther" (Doctor, Monk, Ottoman, clergyman, religious loon, wannabe-bishop, Barabbas)

Which led to...

"The seven-headed papal animal" (I especially like the caption in the middle: "An indulgence for a bag of money")

Luther and his bro Lucifer

Satire on the papal coat of arms

Lucifer and his sweet bagpipes

Satire on the Pope

"The Old and the New Church" (I think this is supposed to be pro-Lutheran, but I'm actually not sure)

Lutheran vs Catholic homilies

The Downfall of the Papacy

Luther and his bros

"The Papal rear end"

And finally have the Emperor literally sucking the Pope's dick

lots of good :iceburn:s back then

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yaakov's constant moaning about how unfair the media/US is while also coyly advocating for mass killings is why I hate him more than any other cartoonist in this thread. His lovely, cutesy style makes it even more loathsome, much like Assay.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Exclamation Marx posted:

Haha that's ridiculous. You're ridiculous.

[quietly slides giant character relationship image under rug]

Oh, Marx...such a cad.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

There are a lot of bad cartoons posted in this thread, but Dry Bones is probably the only one where I legitimately think I could do a better job. Even ignoring his opinions, everything about it is just straight awful, the lazy, simplistic art, the incredibly dumb jokes, the awkward delivery spread out over four panels whether it flows well or not, etc. It's so bad in every way. I can't believe the creator is apparently a well-known and respected (?) cartoonist in Israel.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 40 minutes!

Phlegmish posted:

There are a lot of bad cartoons posted in this thread, but Dry Bones is probably the only one where I legitimately think I could do a better job. Even ignoring his opinions, everything about it is just straight awful, the lazy, simplistic art, the incredibly dumb jokes, the awkward delivery spread out over four panels whether it flows well or not, etc. It's so bad in every way. I can't believe the creator is apparently a well-known and respected (?) cartoonist in Israel.

As I understand it it's kind of a Garfield-esque phenomenon, where he has a job and people read his cartoon because it's been around forever even though it objectively hasn't been any good for decades and arguably was never any good at all

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

quote:

M'lady

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

"IT USED TO BE; NOW IT'S..."

"The Word of God vs. The Word of the Pope (and also his sweet cash)"

"The ROMAN Catholic Church"

"That's heresy, Johannes!"

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Rorus Raz posted:

Haha that's ridiculous. You're ridiculous.

[quietly slides giant character relationship image under rug]

Oh, Marx...such a cad.

I knew it was you. I just didn't want to bring it up for your sake.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Rorus Raz posted:

It's not just a bad political cartoon, it's a spectacularly bad political cartoon.

Compare that to Dry Bones, which is so boring I have yet to read an entire Dry Bones ever. Well except that one that's a flower telling us to kill the Jews.

Anyway, that's something I would pay like $6 never to have to see again.

Robot Dog
Oct 2, 2013

Exclamation Marx posted:

It's more that obsessive weirdos are drawn to mock threads, really

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Robot Dog posted:

It's more that obsessive weirdos are drawn to mock threads, really

ahahaha

"Iiiiiii'm not weird, yoooooouuuuuuu'rrreeeeeee weird."

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

cram me sideways posted:

ahahaha

cram me sideways posted:

Looking like The Dude is on par with "I came as myself for Halloween!!"

In fact, I just reached Peak Dude this year. Or Peak Lebowski. All of a sudden he's loving Captain Jack Sparrow in terms of popularity at the office Halloween drag contest. The Big Lebowski was a movie, and that's all it was ever supposed to be, but nerds can't stop humping poo poo that doesn't immediately reject them, or can't talk back, like movies, so here we are. Smack in the middle of an era where dressing as Jeff Bridges is shorthand for "I'm not a loving dork." HOW IRONIC THE EXACT OPPOSITE IS WHAT'S ACTUALLY TRUE

Actually, anyone over the age of 12 who dresses up for Halloween is a loving idiot. A pervert bent on supping as much approval as he or she can from their peers and betters. A creature who gains sustenance from such an act isn't human, it's positively loving primordial. They have more in common with catfish than you and I. And catfish can't run away. Or at least not yet. Make them watch The Big Lebowski enough times and their chromosomes might enact rebellion; grant them legs. Big, strong legs to carry them far away from people and their dumb ideas and movies.

I loving hate this person. I KNOW YOU DON'T CARE

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

cram me sideways posted:

Looking like The Dude is on par with "I came as myself for Halloween!!"

In fact, I just reached Peak Dude this year. Or Peak Lebowski. All of a sudden he's loving Captain Jack Sparrow in terms of popularity at the office Halloween drag contest. The Big Lebowski was a movie, and that's all it was ever supposed to be, but nerds can't stop humping poo poo that doesn't immediately reject them, or can't talk back, like movies, so here we are. Smack in the middle of an era where dressing as Jeff Bridges is shorthand for "I'm not a loving dork." HOW IRONIC THE EXACT OPPOSITE IS WHAT'S ACTUALLY TRUE

Actually, anyone over the age of 12 who dresses up for Halloween is a loving idiot. A pervert bent on supping as much approval as he or she can from their peers and betters. A creature who gains sustenance from such an act isn't human, it's positively loving primordial. They have more in common with catfish than you and I. And catfish can't run away. Or at least not yet. Make them watch The Big Lebowski enough times and their chromosomes might enact rebellion; grant them legs. Big, strong legs to carry them far away from people and their dumb ideas and movies.

I loving hate this person. I KNOW YOU DON'T CARE

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool

Yes, those poor cartoonists are sure missing out on drawing the back of Biden's head.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Alhazred posted:

So was King Mob (which was written by Morrison). Its Morrisons all the way down.

King Mob also had a fictional alter-ego called Gideon Stargrave who was a combination of Morrison and Jerry Cornelius. Morrisons all the way down and back up Morrison's arse.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Somfin posted:

One thing to note: Spider Jerusalem is Warren Ellis's take on Grant Morrison, a fellow comic book writer, real-life magic man, and professional amiable nutball.

So what he's saying is that Morrison is just Alan Moore with better hygiene?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

cram me sideways posted:

ahahaha

settle down hans

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Rorus Raz posted:

Yeah, well, that's...you know, just like, uh, your opinion man.

:golfclap:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

SuperHappy posted:

So in the end, he acknowledges that the act of a woman raping a man for his sperm and then framing him for the rape is a bullshit fantasy dreamed up by loopy white guys. Nice work, Muir.

A...Good Day by Day?! :aaa:

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Rorus Raz posted:

It is a bad cartoon but is it political? Muir may think so but it's mostly his wanking fantasies.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Rincewinds posted:

It is a bad cartoon but is it political? Muir may think so but it's mostly his wanking fantasies.
It's got political content to a fault, really. Even Doonesbury gives it a rest to develop characters and such, but part of DbD's comedy is how utterly focused on politics the characters are. Can you imagine you so consumed by political stuff? Spending so much time on...one........thing...

It's...really...

Hm.

I

I need to reflect on some stuff.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
"Mocking" is a strange way to describe obsessing over terrible cartoons.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I only briefly read DbD when it looks likes something hilarious might happen. I'm always disappointed.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I never read DbD, I just link it to my friends without warning like I do the Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas trailer. It's a cruel but hilarious prank and I need you guys to keep posting it so I don't have to visit the site myself.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Abyssal Squid posted:

Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas

The funny thing about that movie is in the ads they pitched it as a "CHRISTMAS IS UNDER ATTACK WE MUST SAVE IT!" movie but it turns out it's about Kirk Cameron's ultra-religious brother character being grumpy about Christmas because all the stuff people like about it aren't biblical at all. That's why the film is so universally loathed even by it's target audience.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain: :spooky:

Ghouldian:

"Martin Rowson on Shaker Aamer's release from Guantánamo Bay – Shaker Aamer has been released from the US base in Cuba after 14 years of incarceration without trial"

Terrorgraph:

End Times:

Kids Company: Concerns over finance 'since 2002'

Stephen Collins's Severed Hand:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Cloud Potato posted:

No glasses for the lemonade, he just pours some right in the kid's mouths.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins's Severed Hand:[/b]

I don't know which part of America Collins has spent his Halloween in, but in my neck of the woods handing out anything homemade is gonna get you dubious looks at best. And giving the kids something to drink? Hells no.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 31, 2015

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Cloud Potato posted:

This feels like a Kelly. Needs an angry brit in the corner saying "Shalloweenies."

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Cloud Potato posted:

Hm. Not quite.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Conservatives really seem to hate Kasich. Is it because he's not absolutely batshit like the rest of them?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I appreciate the spooky changes to the paper names.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

majormonotone posted:

Hm. Not quite.

Do Americans hate trick or treating too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Mr. Squishy posted:

Do Americans hate trick or treating too?

idk if I would say "hate" but it is 100% not like it's depicted in that cartoon

e: Maybe in, like, some gated communities? Maybe? But not for most people

• Locked thread