Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Do Americans hate trick or treating too?

Increasingly yes. Old curmudgeons, stranger danger and the Satanic panic kind of killed it, at least everywhere I've lived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

KiteAuraan posted:

stranger danger

It's mostly this as far as I can tell.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

KiteAuraan posted:

Increasingly yes. Old curmudgeons, stranger danger and the Satanic panic kind of killed it, at least everywhere I've lived.
Also several years ago a new law was passed to extend daylight savings time so it lasts more of the year than "normal" time. And it always ends in November now so kids are always going to be trick-or-treating in daylight. Which I guess is safer but kinda kills the mood of the holiday.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Trick or treat in America is 100% portrayed like this on TV though. Even if it's not very accurate in most cases, it still beats the UK version which is absolutely the version on the right and no one ever thinks otherwise.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Yeah no I'm sure the country that spread "razorblades in the candy" rumours are just the happiest Halloweeniers around.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

KiteAuraan posted:

We've also invented "safer" alternatives such as mall trick-or-treating or "trunk or treat," in which families gather in a parking lot and hand out candy from the trunks of their cars. The latter has the further advantage of not forcing fatass Dad to hike after his spawn all through the neighborhood.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I'm tired of pint-size Iron Mans on my porch.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hermetic posted:

So what he's saying is that Morrison is just Alan Moore with better hygiene?

At the start of the comic, Spider is actually living as a recluse in the wilderness and more closely resembles Alan Moore! It's only when he's forced to return from his exile and get back to work that he becomes Grant Morrison.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Selachian posted:

We've also invented "safer" alternatives such as mall trick-or-treating or "trunk or treat," in which families gather in a parking lot and hand out candy from the trunks of their cars. The latter has the further advantage of not forcing fatass Dad to hike after his spawn all through the neighborhood.

In my city everyone who wants to go trick or treating (but lives in a neighborhood where you 'don't do that') drives their kids to the "safe" neighborhood to do it, and slowly drives alongside their kids as they go trick or treating, which creates the world's most nightmarish traffic scenario as hundreds of cars are crawling along residential streets, explicitly not looking at the road.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Republicans posted:

No glasses for the lemonade, he just pours some right in the kid's mouths.

A missed opportunity for some red plastic cups, the ultimate symbol of the More Fun us Americans always seem to be having.

This cartoon comes out of nowhere for me. I feel like it could be of anything. "In America, children enjoy ice cream with an innocent smile, but in Britain everything is just awful!"

Mr. Squishy posted:

Do Americans hate trick or treating too?

Maybe my experience is just dated, but I don't see it. If you don't want to deal with handing out candy, it's easy to just turn your porch lights off, or leave out a jack-o-lantern full, or just plan to not be home. But some people really enjoy meeting kids in their costumes, and many more seem to love seeing pictures of kids in their costumes later. Also the majority of kids sure seem to love dressing up and getting candy.

Halloween is one of the big festivals of the American Civic Religion. As with Christmas, it's dedicated to a grinning, rotund, gift-giving god that embodies our collective aspirations of ostentatious wealth, lavishly given. The Thousand-Faced Fezziwig.

...Apparently I am the Halloween version of the War On Christmas people.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Lady Naga posted:

Yeah no I'm sure the country that spread "razorblades in the candy" rumours are just the happiest Halloweeniers around.

That rumor was started so parents could rifle through their kids' candy and steal their favorites. :tinfoil:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Trick or treating has gone down a lot in the past decade, I think. There's been "safety concerns" and parents have been generally advised to have Halloween parties instead of taking their kids out.

I remember in college, I had a trick or treater come to my door. I didn't have any candy because I didn't think any parent would want to take their kid through a college neighborhood. But I felt bad and remembered that my mom had baked me cookies so I grabbed one, put it in a zip lock bag and gave it to the kid. That was probably a bad idea and they weren't eaten.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Zemyla posted:

That rumor was started so parents could rifle through their kids' candy and steal their favorites. :tinfoil:

This is a metaphor for Capitalism.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
As a parent with small kids Trick or Treating isn't as big of a thing now as it was 30 years ago or whatever. Way more houses just don't do it any more and there are lots of those lame "trick or treat at the mall!" Things (which are actually probably better for the littlest kids really) that I imagine a lot of lame parents do instead, but you can usually still get your kids to have a good time with it, you just have to go to a few more houses.

I'm gunna take my 2 year old out tonight before it gets too dark.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
We live in an apartment complex with a lot of families. There are always kids running around the complex, and always playing in the pool. We've lived here for several years. We haven't had one trick or treater. It's weird.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
We do trick or treating in the office, with people bringing their kids (or nieces/nephews) to work and the guided groups of children pausing per department or cubicle cluster for candies. Seems to work well for the decade that I've seen it done in the workplace.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Jerusalem posted:

At the start of the comic, Spider is actually living as a recluse in the wilderness and more closely resembles Alan Moore! It's only when he's forced to return from his exile and get back to work that he becomes Grant Morrison.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I've never read Transmetropolitan but wiki says this

quote:

One of Spider's most apparent character traits is his heavy drug use, which he makes no attempt to conceal. In addition to being a chain smoker and heavy drinker, Spider uses an extensive and bewildering variety of drugs ranging from mild stimulants, intellect enhancers, and mood-altering drugs to cocaine, heroin and rare, exotic, futuristic drugs. As is common in his society, Spider is resistant or immune to many forms of drug addiction, as well as lung cancer. Spider is well known for his foul language, especially when combining the word "gently caress" with other words to make new and amusing insults. Spider is easily angered, his displays of temper ranging from mild verbal outbursts to violent physical assault. However, despite his temper and contempt for the City as a whole, Spider is often seen to treat innocents (particularly children) with kindness and care.

This sounds like a very 90s/2000s Internet idea of what was cool. I assume he calls someone a "fucknugget" at some point.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Conservatives really seem to hate Kasich. Is it because he's not absolutely batshit like the rest of them?

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/ohio-medicaid-expansion

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Spoeank posted:

We live in an apartment complex with a lot of families. There are always kids running around the complex, and always playing in the pool. We've lived here for several years. We haven't had one trick or treater. It's weird.

Same basically, except townhouses. If you go around the corner though to where there are unattached homes there are plenty of them. I really don't get it.

I still buy a big rear end bag of candy every year at Costco though.

zakharov posted:

This sounds like a very 90s/2000s Internet idea of what was cool. I assume he calls someone a "fucknugget" at some point.

I mean that's when it came out so yeah

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

zakharov posted:

He's got a diarrhea gun. (Something this society sells without registration even though its untraceable and can affect crowds, because the worldbuilding makes a lot of sense)

He uses it on Not!Nixon at one point.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Trick-or-Treating here is done for about two hours in the night, and isn't on Halloween night. The stated reason is that much of the town doesn't really have streetlights, and it's unsafe for kids to be stumbling on rural roads in their costumes in the dark on a heavy drinking night. It's also nice because it gives everyone a chance to get ready so that the givers aren't at work while the kids are all going around. It beats the free-for-all system when I was little.

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

What is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱
I've looked through the op and done a bunch of GISing and I can't find it, does anyone have that comic about a giant robot that is the free market and it's crushing everything? I need it for a thing.

edit:

Exclamation Marx posted:

(#5 in the op)
Welp, must have missed it, sorry, and thanks.

DiabloStarCraft fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 31, 2015

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

zakharov posted:

A lot of that is all in homage to Hunter S Thompson.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

DiabloStarCraft posted:

I've looked through the op and done a bunch of GISing and I can't find it, does anyone have that comic about a giant robot that is the free market and it's crushing everything? I need it for a thing.

(#5 in the op)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Transmetropolitan is a super fun comic to read through every couple of years. But, despite being a comic almost exclusively politics, it should not be taken seriously in regards to having political messages. You're just gonna end up having a bad time if you do that.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The point of the Halloween cartoon is just that, as something imported from the United States, it's much less entrenched as a tradition in Great Britain and that people act accordingly. It's the same in Flanders, only in the past decade or so have I heard of kids going trick or treating. I certainly never did it as a child. I think it catches a lot of older people off-guard; my mother has actually started disabling her doorbell on Halloween nights because she wants to be left alone.

seiferguy posted:

I remember in college, I had a trick or treater come to my door. I didn't have any candy because I didn't think any parent would want to take their kid through a college neighborhood. But I felt bad and remembered that my mom had baked me cookies so I grabbed one, put it in a zip lock bag and gave it to the kid. That was probably a bad idea and they weren't eaten.

Wait, how do you know it wasn't eaten? Did he throw it on the ground in disgust?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

DiabloStarCraft posted:

Beaten to the punch while looking it up, have other cartoons about robots by Tim Eagan:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I mean I think everyone in my part of the country preps for trick or treaters with a pumpkin or two and a bowl of candy, but like others have said the numbers you see at your door have significantly dropped off over the years.

Sadly as far as I've seen, the whole "razor blades in candy apples" thing never actually happened, and the few accounts of kids getting tainted candy are either family members doing it to their own kid or trying to hide that little Timmy OD-ed on the parent's secret rock candy.

E:

Quick! To the Invisible Boatmobile!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Triskelli posted:

Sadly as far as I've seen, the whole "razor blades in candy apples" thing never actually happened, and the few accounts of kids getting tainted candy are either family members doing it to their own kid or trying to hide that little Timmy OD-ed on the parent's secret rock candy.

I'm hoping you don't actually mean what this sentence suggests. It's better the 'razor blades in the candy' thing be a myth.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I'm glad we finally put that one to bed, I was on the edge of my seat!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Phlegmish posted:

Wait, how do you know it wasn't eaten? Did he throw it on the ground in disgust?

If your kid brought home candy and you saw a homemade cookie in a bag as one of the treats, would you let them eat it?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I guess not, especially if they got it from a college student.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

seiferguy posted:

If your kid brought home candy and you saw a homemade cookie in a bag as one of the treats, would you let them eat it?

If he said it was from a college kid I'd disallow it for entirely different reasons

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I'm hoping you don't actually mean what this sentence suggests. It's better the 'razor blades in the candy' thing be a myth.

Sorry, should clarify that thank god that there are not people handing out tainted candy, but that it is regrettable that the public believes it happens often enough to kill some enthusiasm for trick-or-treating.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Zanzibar Ham posted:

What he's saying is that it absolutely is a myth, created by murderers to deflect suspicion. IIRC the only "documented" cases were a kid who got into his uncle's heroin and OD'd, and the uncle sprinkled heroin on the kid's candy, and a dad who'd just taken out life insurance on his own kids filling their Pixy Stix with strychnine. So not stranger danger, just regular old hosed up family murder.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Yeah as I got older Halloween just seemed to get sadder and lamer, I mean as a kid it used to feel like it was going on for hours and every house in my neighborhood was open. But now it seems like it lasts an hour at most and in the daylight, goddamn it where is the fun in that? There should be some risk and danger involved, I remember when the firetrucks would be driving around stopping to give candy. Didn't help the last couple of years I trick or treated with my brother, it would rain, but at least on Halloween I get birthday cake since its also my brother's birthday.

Though the thing that is going to make me really sad now is that I won't receive my annual sleeve of mini three musketeers because my neighbor passed away last winter :smith:

And if parents are afraid of stranger danger, then go walk with your kids or get the older sibling to go with them

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Conservatives really seem to hate Kasich. Is it because he's not absolutely batshit like the rest of them?

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Kasich remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said Trump:"we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said Trump, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Kegluneq posted:

Futuristic Hunter S Thompson isn't subtle? Oh my.

Maybe juvenile is the better word? He's portrayed as this bitter, juvenile "rage against the machine" journalist who is super cool, does tons of drugs, fights the evil evil president, has a heart of gold, yet he still has trouble with ladies :haw:

Honestly, he needed a Dr. Gonzo instead of two lady assistants who end up falling in love with him.

Who What Now posted:

Transmetropolitan is a super fun comic to read through every couple of years. But, despite being a comic almost exclusively politics, it should not be taken seriously in regards to having political messages. You're just gonna end up having a bad time if you do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Translating poo poo is hard, as may be attested by the abandoned attempt to translate my Spanish propaganda dump (he said, while ignoring his own translation projects). So have some good old US war adverts instead, no translation required.

• Locked thread