Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Mariguana posted:

Question: What's the most fun plane in the game/each nation for staffing ground targets and player tanks?

Strafing? Or bombs and rockets too?

Strafing, I'd definitely say the Germans w/ the Ho-229 HVAP belts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ctrl+f, sea hunter...................... hmm.

Dogfather
May 31, 2008
50% off is great. Good thing I waited before buys my f9f and venom.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm looking that the J2M premiums for Japan. How do they fly and which one should I be looking at?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Mariguana posted:

Question: What's the most fun plane in the game/each nation for staffing ground targets and player tanks?

US: Premium Ki61, really not effective anti-tank other than stealing assists sometimes it is a pleasure and effective taking out enemy air
GE: MC202, see above, I use these two planes with tracers to mark for my team and take enemy air
RU: I-153P, taking out enemy air and being the only real existing ballerina of the skies keeping red SPAA busy so your bombers can go ahead

I wonder which brit plane I will come to enjoy as much as I do these three in RBGF.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Arcade battles are fun as hell, I killed like 4 dudes with my Russian Bi-Plane and I feel pretty good about it.

How do I play with you guys? My in-game name is Triphos.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Swagger Dagger posted:

Arcade battles are fun as hell, I killed like 4 dudes with my Russian Bi-Plane and I feel pretty good about it.

How do I play with you guys? My in-game name is Triphos.

Cts mumble, link in the op

People will probably downrank their planes to play with you if you ask nicely, i always feel guilty though

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
After a point "downranking" isn't a thing since you're mostly loving around in vehicles you like because tier IV and especially V grind is just :laffo: if you're going to sit there and crank those out.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Literally no one wants to play their top tier vehicles. They're either grinding or loving around at a funner tier.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I want to play top tier with fun low tier vehicles instead of doing poo poo like trying to get anything worthwhile done on the Tempest II stock grind in any mode (when uptiered)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 31, 2015

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Tier 4 planes is a ton of fun usually, and jets are fun if you're flying a not lovely one(gently caress the vampire). High tier tanks kinda blows though.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I nabbed a year of premium then put a talisman on my T-10M and T-54 Obr.51 because I want to quickly spade both and use them to fill out the rest of the tree.

I don't really feel like grabbing any prems for USA or Germany with tanks or planes. I've already got a talisman on the Tiger H1 and I haven't gotten far enough up the American tanks that it's worth it to put a talisman on anything.

Vaguely feel like getting the T-34-100 but I think I'll hold off on it for now. I might whale some more gold tomorrow or something.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

My premium time from last year's sale runs out in like 2 weeks. I've been hoarding gold since then so I decided that instead of re-upping with another year I'd just buy a talisman on my La-9, Tempest Mk II, and grab the US Ki-61. Good stuff.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Won 20, lost 1, goon squads best squads. I also ended up with a match where I never got a kill so the last match was a bit more tense. 50 matches to go :toot:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Heliosicle posted:

Won 20, lost 1, goon squads best squads. I also ended up with a match where I never got a kill so the last match was a bit more tense. 50 matches to go :toot:

I'll be on around the same time tomorrow, if not a bit earlier. After the second half of this officer, I only have a commander left but that just means I have to steal more kills.

On a serious note that 3 kill qualifier sucks.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 31, 2015

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Commander seems like "AB planes only or gently caress off", really.

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010

Mazz posted:

I'll be on around the same time tomorrow, if not a bit earlier. After the second half of this officer, I only have a commander left but that just means I have to steal more kills.

On a serious note that 3 kill qualifier sucks.

I might need to join you two if I'm around tomorrow. Trying to herd cats in Arcade solo is a pain.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

The heck is so different about Realistic Air that so many people go bomber? In Arcade few people pull them unless they have nothing left.

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014

Mazz posted:

Strafing? Or bombs and rockets too?

Primarily staffing. I'm finding it's a lot of fun doing gun runs at ground targets.
I figured the Ho229 would be mentioned but frankly I'm a looong way from having tier 5 vehicles, though steadily making my way there. I'm just starting research tier 4 German, and Brit. Any recommendations for some fun ground attack in the interim?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Xerxes17 posted:

I nabbed a year of premium then put a talisman on my T-10M and T-54 Obr.51 because I want to quickly spade both and use them to fill out the rest of the tree.

I don't really feel like grabbing any prems for USA or Germany with tanks or planes. I've already got a talisman on the Tiger H1 and I haven't gotten far enough up the American tanks that it's worth it to put a talisman on anything.

Vaguely feel like getting the T-34-100 but I think I'll hold off on it for now. I might whale some more gold tomorrow or something.

There's also Russian Christmas as another opportunity for premium time.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
There is a way to see the total amount of silver lions ever earned over the "career", anyone remember how to find it?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

ArchRanger posted:

The heck is so different about Realistic Air that so many people go bomber? In Arcade few people pull them unless they have nothing left.

That's actually why, bombers are just so bad that no one wants to play them in arcade so everyone who does want to play bomber migrates to RB. This is especially true in arcade where a P-47D is likely a better bomber and still capable of killing things/not being killed. Most of these people (me included) are incapable of playing sim for one reason or another so RB is where they hedge.

Also, due to damage/flight mechanics bombers have a better chance to score a lucky kill in RB as compared to AB.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Mariguana posted:

:911: P-47 because literally tons of bombs/rockets and more .50 cals than you'll ever need.

:godwinning: Fw190 because it's basically a German P-47 with cannons. You can mount rockets on these and set them to airburst right over the tank for an insta-kill. :supaburn:

:ussr: IL-2 because its basically a flying tank which I think may be the actual nickname for it irl iirc...?

:britain: Typhoon because its basically a British P-47 with cannons.

:japan: When it comes to actual strafing with guns, the premium F4U Corsair is the way to go simply because of the American .50s and even though it doesn't have bombs it is the closest you'll get to flying a P-47. See a pattern yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3liEhZszwUM

edit: Really though American planes in general are great for air-to-ground stuff in every way while every other nation has planes that can carry bombs that are good enough to grief any single player controlled tank. There are some oddball options to check out if your aim is good, like the Yak-9T and many other hard hitting large caliber guns but you really need to be on point with your tank game so that finding the right angles isn't going to be an issue when you're literally flying through the sky dealing with far more important things than simply hitting your target.

Here's what I mean by Yak-9T btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8T9iCf9X6k

Thief fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 31, 2015

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A1j3U6dG0k

PenguinScotty
Nov 13, 2012

Hotpants Icecream
Saw that i could get the T-34E package discounted through Steam, so i used some of the Steam money i had from selling crap and grabbed it.

Made a quick 3.7 Line-up for RB and went nuts.

Out of those games, i got instagibbed twice when i wasn't top tier, had only one close match and the rest were just steamrolls, especially against Germany only.

This thing is ridiculous... If you have some steam money or 13 bucks to throw into the wind, get this thing. It's also nice getting 2k GE as well as 30 days of Premium.

Finally, i have embraced glorious Mother Russia.

PenguinScotty fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 31, 2015

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

won a battle reward for 1,000,000 silver lions.

nice.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcALHK_lvM4

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9nKg6XRdF8

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014

Thunderbolt it is then.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Yeah the T-34E is an absolute monster.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm looking that the J2M premiums for Japan. How do they fly and which one should I be looking at?

Personally I'd recommend the J2M4 Kai over the J2M5 (30mm), if you're planning to get one.

The J2M4 is armed with quad 20mm Type 99 mk1 cannons, that you see on Zero's etc, with 800 rounds of ammo. This is the fast firing, low velocity (~550m/s) version of the cannon. Being all the same type of cannon makes them easy to all get on target at once however. You've got enough ammo to just spray around all over the place if need be.

The J2M5 is armed with dual 30mm Type 5 cannons. These are the nasty guns you see on the J7W, Kikkas and R2Y2s. The tracer belts are entirely HEF-T, pack a solid punch and have brutally high velocity of about 950m/s. Unfortunately you only get 84 shots with it. That's enough to take down a few planes if you have good aim, but if not you're going to have a bad time.

The powerband of the 5 is more relevant to warthunder, but you'll barely notice the difference in speed/acceleration most of the time, unless you go up super high at which point the J2M4 is like a rocket. They both climb about the same to warthunder relevent heights. The J2M5 however is a lot heavier with those cannons and compared with the agility of the J2M4, it is noticeably heavier and less responsive. A little bit more sluggish.

Now if you're looking simply to speed along research points for the jets, you might be better off talismanning an N1K or something. That being said, the J2M4 is a pretty good plane these days, and rakes in money and RP. If you like the J2M3 then the J2M4 is pretty much more of the same, if not slightly better, and all the premium bonuses.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
when did they compress the jet tiers? I got matched with sabres in my 1st meteor and then against f80s in my yak17

it sucks

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Oct 31, 2015

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
September. They did some weird stuff with high end tanks and jets. For jets they basically got standardised by error into set BR's.

WW2 jets to 6.7, good WW2 jets and early postwar to 7.0, good postwar jets to 8.0, korea jets to 9.0.

I'd actually say so far, playing jets it feels like an improvement most of the time, if only because it's undone a bunch of USA's questionable BR's, but it definitely has problems. The Yak jets got screwed because they really deserved to be at about ~6.0 or where ever they were before and got shafted up by the new standardisation.

Also the super-prop/Jet boundary is kinda screwy

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fauxtool posted:

when did they compress the jet tiers? I got matched with sabres in my 1st meteor and then against f80s in my yak17

it sucks

Actually they didn't really compress them with two exceptions - Yaks and F2 sabre. The rest of the jets got scrambled across 9.0 to 6.7.

Sadly, Meteors got scrambled to 8.0 for some completely bizarre reason and Yaks obviously don't belong to any rank with other jets. So yeah, don't fly Meteors and Yaks.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Received nothing but backup planes from those witch cauldron ground target hunt reward boxes :gaijin:

Those backups are five for whatever plane you're flying, so if you have a high tier nonfighter you want backups of for loving about with, get the 50/100/150/200 ground target kills with those.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

BBJoey posted:

God's Work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrLk4vdY28Q

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

So I haven't played the game for a while and I just logged back in to find I've got 1600 GE, there's a big sale on and I have no idea what to buy. I'm not that high, really only t3 in British/Soviets, tend to like playing Arcade cause I'm a pubbie. Are there any good options out there? That 20mm cannon mustang looks cool..

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
^^^ I've heard good things about the Soviet P-47

So for the next wager I was thinking if we do planes we could do 10 of the 109's, from the B-1 to the G-10. Then the Yak's up to the Yak-3 and a couple of Lala's to mix it up. Tank's I'm not sure but I don't really fancy another 20 matches in a T-34-85, BR 7.0 US tanks might be good but I haven't unlocked the T32 yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Heliosicle posted:

^^^ I've heard good things about the Soviet P-47

So for the next wager I was thinking if we do planes we could do 10 of the 109's, from the B-1 to the G-10. Then the Yak's up to the Yak-3 and a couple of Lala's to mix it up. Tank's I'm not sure but I don't really fancy another 20 matches in a T-34-85, BR 7.0 US tanks might be good but I haven't unlocked the T32 yet.

The T32 would definitely be the strongest 4 platoon, but the M46, M41A1 and M36 are all solid at that tier. I'd love to play that simply because it means we all come back in the best ground attack planes in the game. I've played like 600 matches at this tier in the last month and I still find it the least boring of any in the game.

Any Russian high tier is okay as well, as long as you have some 200+ pen guns. If we all bought T-34-100s like we should of, that tank at 6.3 is a lot of fun.

Hell, with a good platoon even KT(H) and Panther IIs are a good option, you just have to go into it thinking you're going to be the reason the team wins or loses.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 31, 2015

• Locked thread