Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Did they ever state why they never will bring back Super Adventure Box? World 1 was awesome, but World 2 was a step in the wrong direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011
I'm a spooky fucker.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phoix posted:

Yeah, this was kind of crazy to me. I expected way more out of the weapon/armor sets for a full priced expansion. It felt kind of gross that they immediately had new sets in the cash shop.

Honestly, this is part of what's been killing the game for me. The endgame is all about pretty princess dress up, but everything cool is either three years old or in the gem store. It's lovely.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Harrow posted:

Honestly, this is part of what's been killing the game for me. The endgame is all about pretty princess dress up, but everything cool is either three years old or in the gem store. It's lovely.

there is going to be new skins in the raids. also my scrapper helm is cooler then any medium armor in the game TYYM.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

malhavok posted:

The elite specs should have had full armor sets like the revenants got. That would have been awesome.
And make them collectables that you have to farm 6 different currencies + 3 mastery languages + endless mob killing to get? :v:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Four observations that may or may not help people:
  1. Experience boosters!!!! Love them, use them!!!! If you have a bunch of old boosters lying around, repackage them with boost enchantment powder into enchanted boosts. These let you pick which kind of booster you'd like to use. There are two kinds of xp booster: the old, cruddy kind that only gives +50% xp from kills, and the heroic one they added a little while back. The heroic boost gives +50% from all xp sources as well as a killstreak buff. If you use the CoF farm I mention below that killstreak is actually super good. These two boosters stack with each other, and the celebration/birthday booster further stacks with those. Additionally, if you have a pile of laurels in your wallet, you can buy boosters from the laurel guys functionally identical to the heroic xp booster (these stack with the old xp boost and the celebration boost but not the heroic one).

2. Tyrian masteries: If you're weird like me and like farming (rip Pavilion) the "CoF farm" that has been mentioned is insanely good xp. Grab 3 - 4 other people, head into CoF 1, and start mowing down the cats that spawn after the boulder hall. If you're using all of the above buffs, food, and a potion, they're worth nearly 2k xp per, and they spawn a dozen at a time. With everybody running around the braziers and barfing out AoE you get 100k xp every 10 - 15 seconds. To compare, a dungeon path gives 66k after the nerfs. Bring some friends and have a couple beers or smoke some weed, I actually had quite a bit of fun running around with Kes and Crono and Demaga flailing at cats. We maxed out all three Tyrian paths after... probably 10 hours total?

3. Tyrian masteries, again: You absolutely don't need to do the ridiculous stuff like buying all the cultural armor or owning all the fractal weapons (speaking of which fix my collection Anet argh). It takes 49 points to max out all the Tyrian lines, which sounds like a lot, but most of the veteran GW2 players in GOON logged in on launch day to 50+ points. Looking at it now, there are 61 points available in total, so even if you plan on maxing out all three lines there's wiggle room to pick and choose which ones you want to earn. If you have LS2 playing through the episodes gives a mastery point each, I think.

4. HoT masteries: Play the adventures!!! There are several in each of the first three zones and a bunch of them are really goddamn fun and pretty easy to get gold in. They reset daily, and the very first time you hit each respective rank (bronze, silver, gold) in each respective adventure you also get a huge xp bonus. Again, pop a heroic booster! That +50% makes a HUGE difference and the adventures are a great place to spend them. The wiki has all of their locations. Neither the wiki nor the in-game interface gives a very good explanation of what each adventure entails, so start it, run around a little to get a feel for what you're supposed to be doing, then give it a couple proper goes.

Personally, I aim for gold in: Beetle Feast, Wings of Gold, Drone Race, Salvage Pit (this one is SUPER easy, especially if you're the only one in there), Tendril Torchers, and the Ley-Line Run. I usually get silver in Sanctum Scramble, Floor Is Lava, and Bugs in the Branches. The other ones I haven't really bothered with. Skaazi likes Fallen Masks but that's locked behind Exalted 2 so I haven't really tried it. Getting gold in adventures is mainly figuring out the most efficient route with the most shortcuts possible, and once you get it once or twice it's usually pretty easy to replicate.

Anyway this is a lot of words I hope it helps somebody :toot:

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I can't find enough tendrils in tendril torcher to gold.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

They're tricky. There are a bunch blending into the big vines lining the path beside the airship. If you like bug me today and I'll show you my route. :)

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

So is the mistward armour only available to revenants? I like it, but rev wasn't really my thing.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I would think that once you unlock it you can use it on any (heavy armor) character.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
I've found the best way to stop a Druid from healing is to just 100-0 them.
I recommend using a Chronomancer.

http://gfycat.com/WelldocumentedAgedHoverfly

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

MooCowlian posted:

So is the mistward armour only available to revenants? I like it, but rev wasn't really my thing.

Once you unlock the weapon skins you can use them on any other heavy class like any other armor.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
If you want good experience for the HoT masteries, try finding an organized Dragon's Stand map. Tons of veteran+ mordrem mobs spawn in each lane and there's good guides out there already to get the gist of what to do.

That and the final boss fight in the map is pretty cool.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
Hearts never bother me, but leveling my rev made me hate a good chunk of them, i think the adventures are meant to be there to give the feel of the hearts that are more then killing mobs and picking up items like the combat training in queensdale and the stealthing one in blaze edge, and the aventures are all well done and i enjoy them more then hearts.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

You know what I want? I want GW2 to copy Destiny's "strike"-type mini-dungeons. It's almost what Fractals are, but clearly Fractals aren't worth putting actual work into, so let me give ArenaNet an idea that will require even less work. I'll call them "Missions."

Basically, just make them strings of like 3-5 encounters, balanced for five players, ending with a cool boss fight. As long as each encounter is distinct and cool on its own, we don't really need more. And I say "encounter" because some of them can be mini-puzzles or jumping/gliding/bouncing challenges. Go ahead and reuse open-world areas and scale-up some reused Living World season 2 and HoT story boss mechanics (because some of those are really neat). Put a few of them in each zone. Give each of them like one skin that is a random drop and can only drop from that Mission, and then have them give some sort of currency we can use to buy ascended armor (so we can "gear up to raid").

I'd have a lot of fun with that, I think, and I imagine they'd take an order of magnitude less work than new Fractals or dungeons would. They don't even really need new voiced lines or anything. I just want some fast, fun 5-person stuff to do in HoT.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 31, 2015

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Solumin posted:

I would think that once you unlock it you can use it on any (heavy armor) character.

But I have to actually be a revenant first? That sucks. Booo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Has anyone started crafting the new HoT precursors yet? Part of me hopes that the new legendaries will be less about gold. The expensive precursor crafting tells me that ArenaNet wants to keep the original legendaries primarily as shows of wealth, but maybe the new ones don't have to be. :shobon:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The first books for the new legendaries aren't in game yet.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ah, that'd do it.

More time for me to foolishly hope!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

ApeHawk posted:

If you want good experience for the HoT masteries, try finding an organized Dragon's Stand map. Tons of veteran+ mordrem mobs spawn in each lane and there's good guides out there already to get the gist of what to do.

That and the final boss fight in the map is pretty cool.

If you want a real lovely experience, do this, but crash during the very last boss phase, and receive no reward whatsoever, because the game makes no effort to keep track of your pre-crash progress. :argh:

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Kajeesus posted:

If you want a real lovely experience, do this, but crash during the very last boss phase, and receive no reward whatsoever, because the game makes no effort to keep track of your pre-crash progress. :argh:

Yeah if you are going to attempt this at all step one if turning all your settings down to the bare minimum. Step two is praying to the arena net gods you don't crash anyways. Step three is find a group and hope you can get back in your instance after crashing.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

My friend invited me to a map that was gonna start the final DS meta-event. I got completion but didn't have enough crystalline ore to purchase the inscription. Who knows when I get the next chance to finish it!

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Finished the storyline, last mission dragged a bit, although opening my Victor's Cache and not getting a vision crystal wasn't particularly great. Even if it was, despite the wording, RNG. Which it shouldn't be.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Finally got gliding and bouncing so the game is a little bit less of a pain, although I still ended up rage quitting when trying to do a story step and a mushroom bounced me straight up to an apparently immortal frog and I died a million miles away from the nearest waypoint. I'm sure I'll get back to it eventually but drat if this convoluted vertical map combined with the lovely mobs and sparse waypoint placement doesn't do everything possible to make me want to stop playing constantly. Here's a free tip Anet: inconvenience is not the same as challenge. Mad about games. :saddowns:

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

mind the walrus posted:

I don't know if guides are even out for the Tyria points yet. Other than map completes I'm not even sure how you get them (and if you're doing precursor stuff you probably already map completed)

Yeah, I'm not sure completing the maps actually gives them. I'll try to work on a higher level one to see what it does.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:rolleyes:

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

I was just thinking I should go get some Dragon's Stand cheevos before the hardcore asks for this.

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010

What world is he living in where every random map you join will be a success instead of some poo poo with a half hour left on the timer and 2/5 people at maybe one outpost.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Germany, from the look of it.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

word of warning to all you goons who want to make one of the new stat set armors: a full set takes 1,200 flax seed so start saving it

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
Are any of the new stat setups cool? I've been as happy with my assassin's gear on scrapper as I was power rifle, so I haven't really looked into them. I did find some book to let me craft minstrel chest pieces in some ship wreck pod, though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Monowhatever posted:

word of warning to all you goons who want to make one of the new stat set armors: a full set takes 1,200 flax seed so start saving it

That's not true. I'm in the middle of crafting the Marauder set right now, it takes 3 Ebony Orbs and 30 Barbed Thorns for the new mats per insignia, then a standard orichalcum/leather/gossamer set for the two armour components, then discover recipe as normal.

vvv No, what he said isn't true, I'm crafting a marauder set right now and it doesn't take any flax

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 31, 2015

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Monowhatever posted:

I guess ill stick with berserker.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

brainSnakes posted:

Are any of the new stat setups cool? I've been as happy with my assassin's gear on scrapper as I was power rifle, so I haven't really looked into them. I did find some book to let me craft minstrel chest pieces in some ship wreck pod, though.

Marauder's (Power, Precision, Ferocity, Vitality) and Viper's (Power, Condition Damage, Precision, Condition Duration) are both looking really good. Minstrel (Toughness, Healing Power, Vitality, Boon Duration) was popular in PvP until it was banned, afaik.

They provide an interesting balance between the old 3-stat sets. Marauder's is basically Berserker x Valkyries, for example, while Viper's is great for hybrid builds. The added condition duration and boon duration on the other sets are really nice for some builds, too.

Here's a full list: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3pwdzu/new_stats_and_specialization_runes/

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
Oh, very cool. Marauders is what i use in spvp and also what my trinket stuff is already statted as. I may have to look into that.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
gently caress reddit and gently caress those idiots who want bad event design to be even worse.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's not true. I'm in the middle of crafting the Marauder set right now, it takes 3 Ebony Orbs and 30 Barbed Thorns for the new mats per insignia, then a standard orichalcum/leather/gossamer set for the two armour components, then discover recipe as normal.

vvv No, what he said isn't true, I'm crafting a marauder set right now and it doesn't take any flax

oh! thats wonderful news then I've been making a commanders set which takes the flax

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Monowhatever posted:

oh! thats wonderful news then I've been making a commanders set which takes the flax

Is that the Rytlock skin one? I heard it takes the Linseed Oil mat. The regular exotic set doesn't, it takes whatever the insignia is and the normal armour components for level 80 exotics, Marauder needs 30 barbed thorns and 3 ebony orbs per insignia.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

malhavok posted:

Pretty much feels like cheating. I'm sitting here reading all the complaints by people about hot stuff bring too hard while thinking "you mean you can't solo champ hps?". Also I just realized last night I was still wearing my pre order level 1 ring.

Man ya'll making me want to level a necro now just for reaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is that the Rytlock skin one? I heard it takes the Linseed Oil mat. The regular exotic set doesn't, it takes whatever the insignia is and the normal armour components for level 80 exotics, Marauder needs 30 barbed thorns and 3 ebony orbs per insignia.

im not totally sure if it's the Rytlock skin one (I'd like it to be) but for the commander insignia you need: 5 gossamer patches, 5 ectos, 1 charged thorn, and 3 maguuma burls. it should take the oiled components (which take 5 linseed oil each) but I've hit a snag because it seems you can't discover the recipe.

• Locked thread