Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i think a lot of people still look down on keyboard controls because of how prevalent ghosting was in keyboards in the past

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

SM64Guy posted:

i quit shovel knight like halfway through because none of my controllers worked except my 360 pad and the kb was giving me fits

the xbone controller has a much better dpad but their shoulder buttons are still messed up. those snes controllers with the iron man color scheme look really good.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Action Tortoise posted:

the xbone controller has a much better dpad but their shoulder buttons are still messed up. those snes controllers with the iron man color scheme look really good.

ive thought about an xbox one controller because while the ps4 controller works fine for a lot of modern games they still have fuckin xbox prompts

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
it's ok. feels much better than my logitech controller, but that one can switch between direct input and xinput so i never had to worry about using joy2key for most older games and emulators. WiiU Pro controllers feel the best overall imo but i don't know how much of a difference it makes that the triggers aren't analog if you're not using it for racing games.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

smh if you dont know the layout of every major controller by heart and get confused by prompts different than your controller

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Bolverkur posted:

smh if you dont know the layout of every major controller by heart and get confused by prompts different than your controller

the xbox one and ps4 both have a black background with a blue x rear end in a top hat

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i hate that both the ps4 and xbox one controller have stupid names for their start and select buttons, so like in game tutorials have to have fuckin pictures of the ps4 touchpad in the middle of text

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

SM64Guy posted:

the xbox one and ps4 both have a black background with a blue x rear end in a top hat

xbox X is square is nintendo y

ps X is xbox A is nintendo b

nintendo X is xbox Y is triangle

apply yourself and all games will kneel before you. namaste

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Try as I may, I still can't 100% Super Metroid in under an hour of game time. loving 1:02...

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Controller will always be preferable, but for poorgamers it's entirely doable with keyboard.

I think people exaggerate Phantoon a bit, he's not really that hard even if you fall for his dirty super missile trick

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

He's super easy with the right charge combo iirc

farsel
Aug 4, 2007

Um, I don't ever recall Super Metroid getting a release on PC?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

i didnt even know those were in the game my first time through, i was blown away when i looked at a guide and samus has all these secret ultimate finishers

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

You still have to aim them right, its harder than it looks. The charge combos have some weird rear end trajectories.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Other than grappling being a little hard at first playing on keyboard really isn't hard. I can wall jump & stuff just fine. What is a mockball

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Benny D posted:

Other than grappling being a little hard at first playing on keyboard really isn't hard. I can wall jump & stuff just fine. What is a mockball

you use a little trick to keep your speed out of a jump in morphball mode, it comes in handy for some puzzles and lets you get some important items early

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

i didnt even know those were in the game my first time through, i was blown away when i looked at a guide and samus has all these secret ultimate finishers

me neither (I think the title screen demo shows them off though) and I've still never actually felt compelled to find a use for them

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Benny D posted:

a running jump-to-morphball trick. it allows you to get super missiles without fighting the plant boss, among other things. its cool

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I think the only sequence breaking I ever do is the really basic stuff like getting stuff early via wall/bomb jumping, the other tricks are way beyond my skills.

poo poo, now I really want to play some Metroid. I think I'll start with Zero Mission.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

In Training posted:

Should clarify it would be replaying them all

warning: even though it's a classic castlevania game, circle of the moon is pretty bad.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
i like circle of the moon, despite its flaws

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really wish there was an even half assed graphically updated metroid 2 port. Color game boy is just not quite enough for me, but the idea of landing on the metroid home planet and fighting evolved metroids to wipe out all of them is extremely my poo poo

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

a bunch of free metroid 2 remakes popped up for a bit hyping themselves up but none of them ever came out

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Metroid 2 is alright

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

warning: even though it's a classic castlevania game, circle of the moon is pretty bad.

I played CotM for the first time this year and enjoyed it a lot actually. It's the only SotN style game where the platforming is actually challenging at times. Plus getting a dash early on really helps. I don't like the final boss, though.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I played SotN for the first time a couple of years ago and I couldn't really get into it. I dunno, the controls felt clunky compared to SM I guess

I really need to play Zero Mission though

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I played SotN for the first time a couple of years ago and I couldn't really get into it. I dunno, the controls felt clunky compared to SM I guess

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ralp posted:

I really wish there was an even half assed graphically updated metroid 2 port. Color game boy is just not quite enough for me, but the idea of landing on the metroid home planet and fighting evolved metroids to wipe out all of them is extremely my poo poo

Gotta be patient for that one guy to complete the remake. Return of Samus is cool because it's stuck in a transfer stage between the NES original and the SNES masterpiece. It has that complete lack of player guidance but gains some of the interesting power ups. Metroid 2 is actually the first one to have the Spider Ball, which could be used on any wall. I think this one gets passed over a lot and it never got the Zero mission treatment. You can currently by this on the Nintendo eshop

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

RIP AM2R. has a great demo but when you have to use the spiderball to crawl every pixel of a huge rear end room to make progress lol

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It seems like the guy or team is still working on it. The last post on their dev blog is from4 days ago

quote:

JanusOctober 27, 2015 at 4:04 AM
Thanks for the update mate. Keep up the good work.
Could you please send me your paypal email or a bitcoin address? I would at least buy you a bear.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

frank.club posted:

It seems like the guy or team is still working on it. The last post on their dev blog is from4 days ago

oh good, I had thought that stalled out :)
I read about Metroid 2 in Nintendo Power 1000 years ago and the only thing I remember is thinking how crazy the spider ball power up sounded, you can stick to and roll on any wall, any ceiling? Wow, sounds super easy, I thought.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I really need to play Zero Mission though

I have a weird hangup with SotN. I love Aria of Sorrow and I am sure I will like SotN someday but the RPG item and equipment management part always makes me go, "ugh ok, I don't want to sort through menus right now and figure this out, I'll continue this later" and I never do. Like as a whole it's obvious that there is a ton of game there but it's daunting to try to get into all of it. If that makes any sense.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The same sort of happened to me because I played the others first. It really shows that it was the first one of its kind since the whole rpg-ish part isn't really too fleshed out yet. I still powered through it because I loved the graphics and music (and the goofy sounds and voice of course) and it's still an amazing experience. If some mod rebalanced some of its flaws it could be basically a perfect game.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ralp posted:

oh good, I had thought that stalled out :)
I read about Metroid 2 in Nintendo Power 1000 years ago and the only thing I remember is thinking how crazy the spider ball power up sounded, you can stick to and roll on any wall, any ceiling? Wow, sounds super easy, I thought.

It's not an easy game. Killing metroids allows the remainder to evolve into alpha and so on metroids. The Queen is probably one of the hardest 2d bosses.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I recently played through mp1 again and went to try 2 for the first time and didn't really enjoy it. It's good and all but after 1 it feels like a letdown. It just seems a lot more linear and the atmosphere isn't quite as good. Also I feel it looks worse in many ways from a design point of view

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

my morning jackass posted:

I recently played through mp1 again and went to try 2 for the first time and didn't really enjoy it. It's good and all but after 1 it feels like a letdown. It just seems a lot more linear and the atmosphere isn't quite as good. Also I feel it looks worse in many ways from a design point of view

Yeah I am not a very big fan of 2. I like 3 more than 2 because they tried something somewhat different and the control scheme + heavier focus on action was neat.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

my morning jackass posted:

i played 2 on the wii collection and got like halfway through until i realized that on the wii version normal is actually easy and i got really mad and quirt playing it. i'd been wondering why it was so easy too after everyone said it was hard

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

very few games hold a candle 2 the holy grail of gaming that is MP1. MP2 is good but full of weird poo poo like dumbass backtracking segments, and while the music is really good the areas are devoid of life or anything interesting until like the last 30% of the game when you get to the ghost in the shell cyberpunk city

metroid prime 3 just loving nags you constantly with story and tutorial poo poo, and also has a pretty bizarre backtracking quest

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Prime 2 is second only to Super for me. I love everything about it, especially the focus on awesome grueling boss battles. I think it's the pinnacle of the series in terms of boss fights. All of the main area bosses are incredible, and the final bosses are masterpieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

here you are, at the space pirate base, everything has been leading up to this moment: poo poo is about to get real. btw go right back to the area you just beat and are probably sick of and get the spiderball

• Locked thread