Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Albino Squirrel posted:

- Nurse practitioners can do pretty much everything a family doctor can, for about a third of the cost.

Excellent effortpost.

One of my pet peeves is the inability to go into a doctors office and just see a nurse for quick recurring minor health issues. There are lots of little things that don't require a doctor. Seems like a huge waste of time for everyone involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Slightly Toasted posted:

Winnipeg just finished building a new stadium a couple years ago. And did such a lovely job that it's been literally falling apart and cracking at the foundation since.

Now provincial NDP is getting ready to throw another $35 million at it.

Don't worry the $35 million will be reimbursed by ***INSURANCE*** claims.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Unfortunately doctors have historical privilege in being a protected class of elites. Doctors were children of the upper class exclusively. They still have a lot of entitlement issues and don't think of themselves as middle class trades workers who independently contract (aside from salaried positions).

They will join us soon on the bottom. I look forward to their bullshit tax privileges being removed. Bullshit corporations of one where they pay their family members with shareholder dividends to avoid taxes.

My favorite poo poo is when they whine about needing their massive salaries because of their long training and student loans. Well guess what poo poo-lords, the rest of us have long training and student loans as well and it entitles you to nothing. What's concerning is that nobody fails out of med school once they get in despite their admission being evaluated based on academics while their new training is as a clinician. You can't tell me that the intake exams and interviews have 100% success rates; the lovely ones just end up being family doctors that horribly mismanage people in a remote community.

A large majority of Canadians work double jobs or harder for longer than doctors for a small fraction of the pay with none of the hushed tax advantages that allow them to make mid six figures and only pay 0-20% tax.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 31, 2015

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

cowofwar posted:

They will join us soon on the bottom.

My favorite poo poo is when they whine about needing their massive salaries because of their long training and student loans. Well guess what poo poo-lords, the rest of us have long training and student loans as well and it entitles you to nothing.

A large majority of Canadians work double jobs or harder for longer than doctors for a small fraction of the pay ...

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

cowofwar posted:

Unfortunately doctors have historical privilege in being a protected class of elites. Doctors were children of the upper class exclusively. They still have a lot of entitlement issues and don't think of themselves as middle class trades workers who independently contract (aside from salaried positions).

They will join us soon on the bottom. I look forward to their bullshit tax privileges being removed. Bullshit corporations of one where they pay their family members with shareholder dividends to avoid taxes.

My favorite poo poo is when they whine about needing their massive salaries because of their long training and student loans. Well guess what poo poo-lords, the rest of us have long training and student loans as well and it entitles you to nothing. What's concerning is that nobody fails out of med school once they get in despite their admission being evaluated based on academics while their new training is as a clinician. You can't tell me that the intake exams and interviews have 100% success rates; the lovely ones just end up being family doctors that horribly mismanage people in a remote community.

A large majority of Canadians work double jobs or harder for longer than doctors for a small fraction of the pay with none of the hushed tax advantages that allow them to make mid six figures and only pay 0-20% tax.

It's not often that you see an entire post that is wrong but here we are. The dividends don't make a huge difference, here's an example. Yeah, they can dividend out to family members but so can any small corporation and you still need to pay corp tax on that at a minimum. I don't think it's the huge tax loophole you're making it out to be.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ikantski posted:

It's not often that you see an entire post that is wrong but here we are. The dividends don't make a huge difference, here's an example. Yeah, they can dividend out to family members but so can any small corporation and you still need to pay corp tax on that at a minimum. I don't think it's the huge tax loophole you're making it out to be.

gently caress me, it's so close that it's almost like someone planned it to work out that way! :v:

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Ikantski posted:

If you split that with your spouse it's effectively income splitting and saves a lot of money. That's not the scenario shown in that graphic.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

lol I found the source you used for that and you purposely used the only graphic that potentially proves your point while intentionally leaving out the one that doesn't:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Ikantski posted:

No.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/income-splitting-used-by-high-income-professionals-for-decades-study/article24583084/

Also here are the rest of the figures from the site you pulled that shows huge tax savings through incorporation and income splitting.

http://professional-edge.ca/2013/03/06/income-splitting-with-a-professional-corporation-can-save-you-thousands/

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
"Professional corporations paying dividends to doctors and their family are a huge tax dodge and all doctors should go against the wall!"
"Actually, the tax rate on dividends for corporations of that size is such that you save only minor amounts of money over the same amount as salary, here is a chart that specifically highlights this"
"Yes, but when you add INCOME SPLITTING* to that they become a huge tax dodge!"

Never change, CanPol.

*that program that nobody mentioned today until someone got called on their shitpost and that the incoming government has specifically promised to kill

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Dallan Invictus posted:

"Professional corporations paying dividends to doctors and their family are a huge tax dodge and all doctors should go against the wall!"
"Actually, the tax rate on dividends for corporations of that size is such that you save only minor amounts of money over the same amount as salary, here is a chart that specifically highlights this"

Never change, CanPol.

*that program that nobody mentioned today until someone got called on their shitpost and that the incoming government has specifically promised to kill
Tax dodging for doctors is inclusive of both dividends to shareholders and income splitting.

A Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian. Taxes in Canada are levied on an individual basis and there shouldn't be different rules for different people.

Most Canadians cannot income split but professionals who have incorporated can income split. Why is this? Is this fair?

I benefit from this shenanigans, however just like how I use my TFSA because it is in my best interest, I do not support it because it is not in the best interest of the country. Same thing with preferential tax policy for professionals. When we have kids my wife can income split with me while I take time off, but if she wanted to do the same I wouldn't be able to income split with her. That doesn't make any sense. And so because I did not support the CPC's income splitting policy for everyone because it allows tax avoidance I therefore do not support income splitting for professionals for the same reason.

All Canadians should be subject to the same rules; giving privileged rich people preferential treatment is not in the best interest of the country.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 25, 2017

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Brannock posted:

Unironically by far the best thing you can do for the future of the planet is to adopt instead of spawn. Plus doesn't it seem vaguely selfish to create an entirely new child when there are so many children out there that need families?

As someone currently trying to adopt a kid, seriously gently caress you.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

cowofwar posted:

Tax dodging for doctors is inclusive of both dividends to shareholders and income splitting.

A Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian. Taxes in Canada are levied on an individual basis and there shouldn't be different rules for different people.

Most Canadians cannot income split but professionals who have incorporated can income split. Why is this? Is this fair?

My wife is a doctor, my step-father is a doctor. I benefit from this shenanigans, however just like how I use my TFSA because it is in my best interest, I do not support it because it is not in the best interest of the country. Same thing with preferential tax policy for professionals. When we have kids my wife can income split with me while I take time off, but if she wanted to do the same I wouldn't be able to income split with her. That doesn't make any sense. And so because I did not support the CPC's income splitting policy for everyone because it allows tax avoidance I therefore do not support income splitting for professionals for the same reason.

All Canadians should be subject to the same rules; giving privileged rich people preferential treatment is not in the best interest of the country.
Yeah, this. As a doctor I've been able to income split all along (but haven't been organized enough to do it until last year). It's ridiculously advantageous to my family to have my wife as a shareholder getting dividends in my PC, especially now that she's off work with the kids. It probably shouldn't be allowed; if you got rid of the ability of professional corporations to income split you'd remove most of the 'unfair' tax advantages, as the corporate tax + personal income tax is set up to be roughly equivalent to plain income tax.

That being said, I'm not altruistic enough to *avoid* this form of income-splitting while it's available. Hooray for hypocrisy!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dallan Invictus posted:

Never change, CanPol.

Actually cowofwar and others have been very consistent in their criticism on this issue. For example, the post you're talking about had this line:

quote:

Bullshit corporations of one where they pay their family members with shareholder dividends to avoid taxes.

which is exactly the problem. Income splitting here is not done via the Cons' tax scheme but by creating a corporation for your doctoring practice, giving equal shares to all your family members, then paying 100% of your income as dividends equally to everyone. That means a family of six can each claim $50,000 (well, technically around $43,300 after small business corporate tax) as their net taxable income rather than one person claiming $300,000, which saves them a shitload of money in personal income taxes, as illustrated in RBC's chart.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

PT6A posted:

Calgary "bans" it too, but it's still here. Apparently the drivers risk being fined by Bylaw Services.

Edmonton regulates it and allows Uber somewhat, and the cabbies threw an absolute shitfit over it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

PT6A posted:

No one except Saskatchewan gives the faintest gently caress about CFL, just so you know.

The calgary stampeders games seem pretty full.

I live in Saskatchewan and I hate the riders. I am loving the schadenfreude of seeing people's reaction to the Riders ridiculously lovely season.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Dallan Invictus posted:

Never change, CanPol.

jesus christ you are a very confused individual

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

vyelkin posted:

Income splitting here is not done via the Cons' tax scheme but by creating a corporation for your doctoring practice, giving equal shares to all your family members, then paying 100% of your income as dividends equally to everyone. That means a family of six can each claim $50,000 (well, technically around $43,300 after small business corporate tax) as their net taxable income rather than one person claiming $300,000, which saves them a shitload of money in personal income taxes, as illustrated in RBC's chart.

I did miss that angle to his post, unfortunately, so thanks to you both for setting me straight. One thing the chart doesn't appear to account for (though the website mentions it on another page) is that income split to minor children is automatically taxed at the top marginal rate so your average family will top out at row 2 on that chart - particularly since professional corporations usually only let you issue shares to immediate family (though I suppose Dr. Doe could decide to fund their feckless adult children and ensure they don't work or earn any other income for the tax savings, if they are bound and determined to gently caress with the CRA)

But:

Albino Squirrel posted:

It probably shouldn't be allowed; if you got rid of the ability of professional corporations to income split you'd remove most of the 'unfair' tax advantages, as the corporate tax + personal income tax is set up to be roughly equivalent to plain income tax.

The ability of professional corporations to income split mostly comes from a) the ability of professional corporations to exist at all (since the point of a corporation, liability shield aside, is to issue dividends to shareholders) and b), the ability of professional corporations to issue shares to non-professionals (which varies from profession to profession and province to province but has predictably been on a liberalizing trend in the past decade or so).

Rolling that back means you then run into "every OTHER independent contractor/small business owner is still able to incorporate, issue shares to family members in a much less restricted way, and income split", which then bounces back to a) (and you probably can't fix a) without some much broader tax code reforms or restrictions on the use of the corporate form at all, which I am sure very few ITT will mind but does mean it is not really strictly about Those drat Doctors anymore but rather about Those drat Small* Business Owners in general).

(*by which I mean "employing only a handful of people")

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 31, 2015

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

edit: double post, bleh.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 31, 2015

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 26, 2018

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

PT6A posted:

Just heard in the pub: "didn't they discover insulin to help fight polio."

Burn this fucker to the ground...

Everyone's well concerned about global warming, but does anyone stop to think that the annihilation of our species could be for the best?

To be fair, if I had a few pints in me and no medical training, my memory of Canada heritage minutes might start to get blurry at the edges.

Nine of Eight fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 31, 2015

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Ikantski posted:

You neglect all the benefits of having a corporation, you can deduct pretty much everything. Other posters have pointed out that you can income split between family members, consider some families have more than 2 shareholders :ssh: Paying family members 40-50k means they pay basically nothing in tax, which you then funnel into a 'family' account afterwards.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 26, 2018

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

:2bong: TRUDEAUUU :2bong:

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Some analysis from CBC on electoral reform:

Justin Trudeau's electoral reform plan needs to 'get going' posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/justin-trudeau-electoral-reform-first-past-the-post-1.3292694

Justin Trudeau has pledged that 2015 would be the last time Canadians elect a federal government using the first-past-the-post system. But if the prime minister-designate is truly committed to electoral reform by the next election, the clock is ticking.

While it may not seem like one of his more pressing issues, Trudeau has said he would introduce legislation on voting reform within 18 months of forming a government, based on the recommendations of an all-party parliamentary committee to study alternative voting systems, including proportional representation and ranked ballots.

That timeframe may be overly ambitious, suggests David McLaughlin, who was deputy minister to the New Brunswick Commission on Legislative Democracy.

McLaughlin figures it would take at least a year to conduct that kind of a review, with a countrywide referendum possibly following in the second year. And that doesn't include the time it would take to actually pass the legislation.

But a change to Canada's voting system does not necessarily require any constitutional considerations — only an amendment to the Canada Elections Act through Parliament. Trudeau's majority government has the votes to pass this, but the amendment would still likely entail parliamentary hearings and face opposition from the other parties, in particular the Conservatives.

'He's got to get going'

If a new system is chosen, new electoral boundaries would likely have to be drawn, a process, depending on the change, that could take a year. Not to mention the time Elections Canada would need to launch an information campaign.

'In my mind, it is simply anti-democratic to allow a minority to rule over the majority.'
– Prof. Andrew Heard, Simon Fraser University

"If he wants to do it, he's got to get going," McLaughlin said.

Trudeau could save time and forgo a referendum. And electoral reform initiatives in Ontario, B.C. and P.E.I. in the past have gone down to defeat.

"I think that would tell us how committed [Trudeau] is to it. Because if he goes the referendum route, it pretty much says he wants it to fail," said York University political science professor Dennis Pilon, an expert in electoral reform.

The incoming prime minister says he would introduce legislation within 18 months of forming a government, based on the recommendations of an all-party parliamentary committee to study alternative voting systems.

It's a fair question, as the Oct. 19 Liberals may not be as excited about electoral reform as the Oct. 18 Liberals. Changing the voting system may have seemed like a swell idea at a time when winning a 184-seat majority was a pipe dream. But a change in the system, for example to full proportional representation, would mean a net loss of about 50 seats for the party.

There are benefits to the current plurality system. It produces more stable governments, more parliamentary majorities — which in turn make governing more effective and productive. A switch would likely create more coalitions and increase the frequency of elections.

'Profoundly unfair'

But advocates for reform, like Simon Fraser University political science professor Andrew Heard, say the current system distorts election results, since the share of seats a party wins is seldom proportional to its share of the votes.

"This is profoundly unfair. A multi-party system like ours also means that a party can command a majority in Parliament despite winning only about 40 per cent of the vote. In my mind, it is simply anti-democratic to allow a minority to rule over the majority," he said.

Trudeau has indicated his support for a ranked ballot system, where voters pick the candidates on a ballot in order of preference.

In this system, all the No. 1 choices are added up. If a candidate has a majority after the tally, they are declared the winner. If not, the candidate with the lowest vote total is knocked off, and their votes for other candidates transferred based on the ranking preferences. A winner is declared when a candidate finally reaches a majority.

The problem, suggests Heard, is that "by the time you get to third and fourth preferences you're getting a pretty tenuous connection to somebody."

Proportional representation, where parties are awarded seats based on the popular vote, is often seen as the most fair, the most truly representative of the voters' wishes and the approach most championed by smaller parties. It works quite simply — receive 40 per cent of the vote, receive 40 per cent of the seats.

Detractors say it opens the doors to too many fringe parties although this can be remedied by setting a threshold, meaning a party would have to attain a certain percentage of the popular vote in order to get any seats.

Many political scientists seem keenest on the mixed member proportional (MMP) system, like they have in Germany and New Zealand, which combines proportional representation with single member ridings. Voters would be asked to vote twice: for the candidate and for the party. So if a party won 20 per cent of the vote, but its candidates only won 15 per cent, the party would top up its representation in the House with extra MPs.

There are different ways that could be done, but if the extra MPs are drawn from party lists, some argue it could create a two-class system of representatives — those who were actually voted in by the public and those chosen by the party.

"The plurality system undeniably benefits the Conservative Party at this particular junction," Pilon said. "Right now, the problem for the Conservatives is they don't have as many vote switchers as other guys"

"So the ranked ballot would benefit the Liberals the most because it would funnel support from both directions to that party. Proportional representation would definitely benefit the NDP and the Greens."

That last part is really interesting, although I'm not sure what "proportional representation" means in this context (I'm guessing MMP?)

Trudeau unlikely to change voting system, say political scientists posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/trudeau-proportional-representation-voting-system-1.3280995
"the libs have a majority so why would they change anything?"

It will be interesting to see what kind of commitment is made. I imagine if they're serious about this, they'll have something to announce on or near November 4 when Trudeau announces his picks for cabinet.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

a primate posted:

That last part is really interesting, although I'm not sure what "proportional representation" means in this context (I'm guessing MMP?)

Sounds like it. The Greens would gain a lot of seats especially from MMP I think.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
If a plebiscite on electoral reforms fails, isn't that democracy in action? I find the logic of "we must reform the system to be more representative/democratic, but we mustn't ask the people what they think of this plan" to be a little peculiar.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Jack of Hearts posted:

If a plebiscite on electoral reforms fails, isn't that democracy in action? I find the logic of "we must reform the system to be more representative/democratic, but we mustn't ask the people what they think of this plan" to be a little peculiar.

A referendum is just a backdoor to having to do anything. The Conservatives will funnel gobs of money into the no campaign, the Liberals will halfheartedly throw a bone to the yes side, and the FUD campaign from right-leaning groups will shut it down. Then Trudeau is free to say "the people have spoken" and drop it.

I'd love to be wrong, but the status quo has been pretty good to the Liberals over the decades. With the Conservatives in disarray looking for a leader to replace Harper and the NDP crushed in the last election they're learning to love FPTP all over again.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Jack of Hearts posted:

It's easy to game a referendum. Set a threshold above 50%, word the question misleadingly, load the ballot with too many similar options to dilute the voice of one kind of voter, etc. Then, when the status quo wins, shout that democracy has prevailed!

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Jack of Hearts posted:

Sometimes in a democracy, for the good of the nation, you need the politicians do what a majority of the people do not want. For example, a 2013 poll suggests 63% of Canadians support reinstating the death penalty. Should the government therefore do it?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Jack of Hearts posted:

There is a reason why we do not generally practice direct democracy in Canada: people are fickle idiots.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Lassitude posted:

Sometimes in a democracy, for the good of the nation, you need the politicians do what a majority of the people do not want. For example, a 2013 poll suggests 63% of Canadians support reinstating the death penalty. Should the government therefore do it?

Tsyni posted:

There is a reason why we do not generally practice direct democracy in Canada: people are fickle idiots.

These sentiments don't easily square with the idea (expressed by political scientists in the article) that electoral reform would be good because it made the system more democratic. FPTP actually seems like a decent system for people who are basically distrusting of democracy.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Jack of Hearts posted:

These sentiments don't easily square with the idea (expressed by political scientists in the article) that electoral reform would be good because it made the system more democratic. FPTP actually seems like a decent system for people who are basically distrusting of democracy.

Electoral reform would be good because, depending on the proposed system, you are not throwing your vote away potentially. This is more democratic and I support that. Allowing for a more proportional representation doesn't necessarily mean that you'd be dealing with the same problems as direct democracy, because people will have to work together more and compromise and hopefully crazy-town views get weeded out.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

a primate posted:

Proportional simply means any system where the seat count is tailored to match the popular vote shares. There's different ways to do it.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Electoral reform is going to be Trudeau's Guantanamo Bay. Still waiting for obama to close gitmo lmao

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Jack of Hearts posted:

Well, it's more democratic in that the views of the people are more generally represented. So the Greens getting 7% of the vote and yet only having 1 representative wouldn't be the case anymore with MMP or whatever. Which is more democratic. But I don't think those political scientists would go so far as to say that the ultimate in democracy, which is just having referendums on everything and going with the majority vote, would be good. People are stupid pieces of poo poo, and sometimes they need to be dragged kicking and screaming into the correct course of action. Electoral reform won't change that.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Referendums on taxes are democratic too, but it is a good way to ensure you never increase taxes as well.

Not everything needs to have a vote.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

It would be trivially easy to dead-cat the conversation around electoral reform and make a great many people vote against their own best interests because of fear or prejudices or ignorance or whatever.

He said he'd do it, he has the mandate, there's no reason for him to gently caress around with a "Mother May I" referendum unless he actually wants the plan to fail.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Putting a new voting system up to a referendum allows for a tremendous amount of water-muddying. When the UK tried it, there was a deluge of ads inaccurately claiming "Under AV+, the loser can win!!". Imagine trying to explain to your confused uncle that no, transferable/preferential votes never move the last-place candidate into first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Why does everyone think that a referendum would fail?

Wouldn't people who vote care enough about voting and elections to want to change the system?

I think I am being naive here