Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

pile of brown posted:

Kobe beef comes from a specific breed of cows that have been raised a certain way in one province of Japan (kobe) and slaughtered under specific standards by one of two certified slaughterhouses in Kobe, Japan. It's relatively recent that any beef whatsoever, Kobe or not, was permitted to be imported from Japan and the amount of actual Kobe beef imported from Japan, to this day, is very small. It's a buzzword used to sell whatever beef product at an insane premium and it's only permitted because the US has no respect for foreign copyright laws.

Articles:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BO7mIPHNDduftDg
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...At4KYS1c1GhWx1g

Canada too!. It's become a running joke between me and my bro who is a sous in Vancouver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Hed posted:

Overheard in the kitchen yesterday (we were just dining there after they opened):

:chef:: (to customer-facing service manager lady) so why are you wearing the chef jacket?
:j:: well, I have to go up to the customer's tables to deal with issues and they respect me more if I have this on

it's sad but i feel it's true, generally speaking.

which makes it even sadder when you think about the current back of house pay situation.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Hed posted:

Overheard in the kitchen yesterday (we were just dining there after they opened):

:chef:: (to customer-facing service manager lady) so why are you wearing the chef jacket?
:j:: well, I have to go up to the customer's tables to deal with issues and they respect me more if I have this on

This is hilarious because a chef jacket in and of itself means exactly nothing to anyone who has actually worked in full-service foodservice.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

3 resumes sent out, I send all my college applications tomorrow, and I will show up in person on Tuesday to all the places I applied. Last night I had a call party of 33. They where celebrating a retirement and the entire party was booked through me. I pick their wine, built their menu, and set the pacing.

Kitchen threw a ticket away and then tried to blame me.

Waiters on a different PDR where mad that I was making money and convinced management to pool us.

Im out. Spoon is unemployed.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey I got a question for you commercial types, what sous vide equipment do you guys use in a restaurant?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Secret Spoon posted:

3 resumes sent out, I send all my college applications tomorrow, and I will show up in person on Tuesday to all the places I applied. Last night I had a call party of 33. They where celebrating a retirement and the entire party was booked through me. I pick their wine, built their menu, and set the pacing.

Waiters on a different PDR where mad that I was making money and convinced management to pool us.

Again, I'm always shocked but never surprised at management's ability to gently caress over their best and brightest. Good riddance to that shithole.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Steve Yun posted:

Hey I got a question for you commercial types, what sous vide equipment do you guys use in a restaurant?

Circulator

Vac Sealer

Morbid Fiesta
Dec 20, 2008

Secret Spoon posted:

My condolences.

I'm leaving my current job as well. I put in my two weeks as a courtesy last week, in my contract I can terminate my employment at anytime. Provided I want to render myself ineligible for rehire by the company I work for. Which is fine by me. Spent my day off at a 12 hour stage in the kitchen I really want to work at and knocked it out of the park.

I'm going to tell my current boss after service tonight I can't do the full two weeks and that it's been real, it's been a pleasure, but I can't say it's been a real pleasure. Adios.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Secret Spoon posted:

I completely back you on walking out, what they did is theft in any terms but legalese.

I Am curious, where I serve you start with a cash bank you bring in. The computer system processes all of your rings, what checks are paid with CC or cash, etc. so at the end of a busy night I'll have a good chunk of cash and a printout that tells me what I owe back to the store for cash sales. Do you guys not do this? I ask because in your shoes I'd have collected every bit of cash off of the table, added it to my cash wad, and walked. If they want to split the fruits of my labor among people who didn't invest, they can do it out of their pocket. Just a curiosity for me, regardless I give you respect for walking. It's difficult to do (which companies exploit) and hopefully someone there will shortly have the self-awareness to realize just how badly they screwed up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vorenus posted:

I completely back you on walking out, what they did is theft in any terms but legalese.

I Am curious, where I serve you start with a cash bank you bring in. The computer system processes all of your rings, what checks are paid with CC or cash, etc. so at the end of a busy night I'll have a good chunk of cash and a printout that tells me what I owe back to the store for cash sales. Do you guys not do this? I ask because in your shoes I'd have collected every bit of cash off of the table, added it to my cash wad, and walked. If they want to split the fruits of my labor among people who didn't invest, they can do it out of their pocket. Just a curiosity for me, regardless I give you respect for walking. It's difficult to do (which companies exploit) and hopefully someone there will shortly have the self-awareness to realize just how badly they screwed up.

Actually, depending on where he lives it might be theft in legalese too. Unfortunately, if they paid with a credit card it's pretty likely the restaurant owed him money at the end of the night.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

What's PDR?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Secret Spoon posted:

Jesus, good on you for walking!

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

PDR= Private Dining Room, its lingo for a party room, sometimes used instead of "booked by event coordinator".

They paid with a credit card, and it was absolutely illegal here. This happened Thursday and instead of throwing a poo poo fit Thursday night, I talked to the management, said that if anything like that happened again I would be out no warning and I would put a phone call into their bosses and the board that owns the company.

The next night they sat me three tables of deuces, then blamed me for it being around the restaurant. I literally told no one but my brother. The whole staff was talking about it. At this point I kind of lost it and said what was probably my resignation.

"What? What did you say to me? Dude, one, I havent talked to a single person on your staff about anything not guest focused tonight. If this poo poo is floating around, its not my fault. My advice? You don't want this kind of stuff getting talked about? Don't break the law, and don't gently caress your servers. I'm sick of every time something happens here you come to me like its my loving fault. Wine gets stolen, its my fault. A guest loses it and says they wont come back? you actually blamed that on me, IT WASNT EVEN MY TABLE. And now this poo poo? Dude, gently caress you."

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah that is to much stress to deal with. gently caress that noise.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Turkeybone posted:

Ha actually no he's fine and owns a little killer bbq joint and whiskey bar in Baltimore. :3

No joke your old place has slipped like mad in the last few years. It used to be the place the girl and I saved up to treat ourselves too, now it barely registers. It's not bad per see but the menu has lost the imagination and gotten really safe imho.

The bbq place is good, not just "MD bbq" good, but the pulled pork is still Yankee as gently caress, but I suspect the market will not accept the proper stuff as it looks like hot garbage. They do an old fashioned variant that haunts me, I have all the ingredients at home, but can't replicate it.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Turkeybone posted:

All the fancy Sazerac bourbons went out today (Buffalo Trace antique, pappy van winkle etc) -- only like 25 restaurants in Manhattan got the coveted 23yr -- 1 bottle each. Ugh.

The 23 year is nowhere near as good as the 20, either.

I remember when you used to be able to buy a bottle of Pappy 20 in February for msrp. I think I bought my current bottle in 2011, also for $95. It's great bourbon, but I don't think a bottle is worth $500 or whatever the current street price is.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

bunnielab posted:

No joke your old place has slipped like mad in the last few years. It used to be the place the girl and I saved up to treat ourselves too, now it barely registers. It's not bad per see but the menu has lost the imagination and gotten really safe imho.

The bbq place is good, not just "MD bbq" good, but the pulled pork is still Yankee as gently caress, but I suspect the market will not accept the proper stuff as it looks like hot garbage. They do an old fashioned variant that haunts me, I have all the ingredients at home, but can't replicate it.

More details on the old fashioned please.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

drgitlin posted:

The 23 year is nowhere near as good as the 20, either.

I remember when you used to be able to buy a bottle of Pappy 20 in February for msrp. I think I bought my current bottle in 2011, also for $95. It's great bourbon, but I don't think a bottle is worth $500 or whatever the current street price is.

Imho bourbon is best as a young spirit.

The Maestro posted:

More details on the old fashioned please.

It is simple as hell, Billit Rye, Luxardo cherry, citrus bitters, flamed orange twist, sugar cube. Muddle the cherry, cube, and bitters, it looked to be about 3oz of the Rye, then flame and twist, in a rocks glass over ice. It must be the specific bitters or just mad skill as I cannot get it to taste so loving good at home. Everything was perfectly balanced with just a perfect amount of grit from the sugar. I had like 5 of them. Four because I wanted them, the last to see how it was made.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Ew, muddled cherry.

Perhaps they were using the luxardo Morlacco cherry rather than maraschino?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Vorenus posted:

This is hilarious because a chef jacket in and of itself means exactly nothing to anyone who has actually worked in full-service foodservice.

It means someone's smart enough to keep their arms covered when working with sharps and hot fats. :v:

Head Movement
Sep 29, 2008

Turkeybone posted:

Ha actually no he's fine and owns a little killer bbq joint and whiskey bar in Baltimore. :3

That's sound awfully like a place down the road from me. Is that Blue Pit BBQ & Whiskey Bar?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Secret Spoon posted:

PDR= Private Dining Room, its lingo for a party room, sometimes used instead of "booked by event coordinator".

They paid with a credit card, and it was absolutely illegal here. This happened Thursday and instead of throwing a poo poo fit Thursday night, I talked to the management, said that if anything like that happened again I would be out no warning and I would put a phone call into their bosses and the board that owns the company.

The next night they sat me three tables of deuces, then blamed me for it being around the restaurant. I literally told no one but my brother. The whole staff was talking about it. At this point I kind of lost it and said what was probably my resignation.

"What? What did you say to me? Dude, one, I havent talked to a single person on your staff about anything not guest focused tonight. If this poo poo is floating around, its not my fault. My advice? You don't want this kind of stuff getting talked about? Don't break the law, and don't gently caress your servers. I'm sick of every time something happens here you come to me like its my loving fault. Wine gets stolen, its my fault. A guest loses it and says they wont come back? you actually blamed that on me, IT WASNT EVEN MY TABLE. And now this poo poo? Dude, gently caress you."

Report them to the Dept. of Labor, poo poo's not cool man.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Ew, muddled cherry.

Perhaps they were using the luxardo Morlacco cherry rather than maraschino?

I like a muddled cherry as it removes the temptation to eat it immediately.

Also, I didn't know anything bout no Luxardo Morlacco cherries. Google only shows that in relation to a liquor they make?

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

bunnielab posted:

Also, I didn't know anything bout no Luxardo Morlacco cherries. Google only shows that in relation to a liquor they make?

They are black maraschino cherries. They are amazing, I highly suggest grabbing a small jar of them if you ever do a cocktail party. I love em for my Manhattans, and sometimes Ill have one after a negroni.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Secret Spoon posted:

They are black maraschino cherries. They are amazing, I highly suggest grabbing a small jar of them if you ever do a cocktail party. I love em for my Manhattans, and sometimes Ill have one after a negroni.

Do they actually taste like cherries instead of whatever the hell maraschino cherries taste like?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Hahahahahahahahaaaaa oh Halloween! Mid-dinner Rush, I go to the kitchen and ask why I have an appetizer at 18 minutes and two entrees at 25 minutes, kitchen says "oh sorry we'll get right on that"

*two minute pause*

"We don't have any bills for what you just asked for, so uuuuhhhhhh...."

I ask if the printer is out of paper

*blank stare*

The answer is yes, and it has been for the last 30 minutes. How am I the only person that noticed this???? Thank Christ I was short shift tonight.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

Hahahahahahahahaaaaa oh Halloween! Mid-dinner Rush, I go to the kitchen and ask why I have an appetizer at 18 minutes and two entrees at 25 minutes, kitchen says "oh sorry we'll get right on that"

*two minute pause*

"We don't have any bills for what you just asked for, so uuuuhhhhhh...."

I ask if the printer is out of paper

*blank stare*

The answer is yes, and it has been for the last 30 minutes. How am I the only person that noticed this???? Thank Christ I was short shift tonight.

how the gently caress do you not notice that you have no tickets coming for thirty loving minutes in the middle of dinner

like what are they actually doing during this entire time

thirty minutes is a goddamned eternity in the kitchen

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Secret Spoon posted:

Google is failing me, help a brother out.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

bunnielab posted:

I meant perhaps they were using that liqueur instead of the maraschino liqueur... It sounded like you were saying they used the maraschino liqueur in the drink? Could also have been a griotte cherry, kirsch cherry or amarena if you meant the actual cherry that was muddled and not a liqueur.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I meant perhaps they were using that liqueur instead of the maraschino liqueur... It sounded like you were saying they used the maraschino liqueur in the drink? Could also have been a griotte cherry, kirsch cherry or amarena if you meant the actual cherry that was muddled and not a liqueur.

Oh, I got you. It was a jar of Luxardo cherries dude reached for, not a liquor. Now, who knows what was in that jar, but that is beyond me.

Also, it is like 1am and I am standing alone in my kitchen with a mediocre drinking wondering where I went wrong.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...roductads-plaid

Naw, you are right. it was a jar of Luxardo cherries.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Hauki posted:

how the gently caress do you not notice that you have no tickets coming for thirty loving minutes in the middle of dinner

like what are they actually doing during this entire time

thirty minutes is a goddamned eternity in the kitchen

Sometimes I'm just stuck swimming in a sea of assholes.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Head Movement posted:

That's sound awfully like a place down the road from me. Is that Blue Pit BBQ & Whiskey Bar?

Indeed it is -- Dave might still remember "Turkeybone" (it was my yelp handle too) but if not, well, oh well -- no real names here :p

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Mezzanon posted:

Sometimes I'm just stuck swimming in a sea of assholes.

He's an rear end in a top hat sir, gunners mate Philip rear end in a top hat.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

bunnielab posted:

Imho bourbon is best as a young spirit.

It is simple as hell, Billit Rye, Luxardo cherry, citrus bitters, flamed orange twist, sugar cube. Muddle the cherry, cube, and bitters, it looked to be about 3oz of the Rye, then flame and twist, in a rocks glass over ice. It must be the specific bitters or just mad skill as I cannot get it to taste so loving good at home. Everything was perfectly balanced with just a perfect amount of grit from the sugar. I had like 5 of them. Four because I wanted them, the last to see how it was made.

I'm willing to bet it's two dash fee brothers orange bitters into the sugar, one maraschino luxardo, muddle. Try 2 - 2 and 1/2 ounces bulleit rye. Orange peel gets a twist and a wipe around the mouth of the glass so you get the oil.

If it's a good bar, they are using clean ice. Try using filtered water to make your ice, as the hard water at home might be throwing your flavor off.

E: I bet if you straight ask the bartender how they make it, they will tell you. I love having guests sit near my well and ask me how make such and such. It's one of the best perks of the job!

Secret Spoon fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Nov 1, 2015

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
So we're doing a week-long celebration of our most popular/well-known menu item, the Reuben. I think this is the third year we're doing this? Anyway last year's Monday total was $4.4k, and yesterday we did $11k. The owner had no idea how to react, and we had more tickets then there are seats in the restaurant for 4ish hours. We ran out of loving fries and loving dill pickles which, even with that unexpected (and frankly unbelievable) surge in business, shows a major lack of foresight. Then again we were also getting to go orders which weren't supposed to be happening. Too many details to share but oh my godddd

Did I mention it's a week-long event? And that was day one? I'm currently dreading finding out if I'm losing my only day off because we need the staff support.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

So we're doing a week-long celebration of our most popular/well-known menu item, the Reuben. I think this is the third year we're doing this? Anyway last year's Monday total was $4.4k, and yesterday we did $11k. The owner had no idea how to react, and we had more tickets then there are seats in the restaurant for 4ish hours. We ran out of loving fries and loving dill pickles which, even with that unexpected (and frankly unbelievable) surge in business, shows a major lack of foresight. Then again we were also getting to go orders which weren't supposed to be happening. Too many details to share but oh my godddd

Did I mention it's a week-long event? And that was day one? I'm currently dreading finding out if I'm losing my only day off because we need the staff support.

Sounds like your menu should have only one item.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Can I get a picture of this Reuben?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
That must be a great loving Reuben.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009