Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Rice just comes in various degrees of quality and price, which are usually connected.

I would have never guessed it either before I bought some really cheap knockoff basmati and it completely dissolved into flavorless mush.

I'm not sure the crappy cheap rice is treated in any special way, it's just really low quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Yeah I knew the stuff was probably going to be awful but I bought it anyway because I'm an idiot.
The good news is that with some properly stir-fried chicken you can make even terrible rice edible! Just a quick marinade with a little garlic&ginger, light soy, sesame oil & shaoxin rice wine, veggies were yellow pepper & courgette + green onion, and a good load of garlic & ginger... finished with more soy and a dab of chilli bean paste.

Actually probably the most satisfied I've been with a regular stir-fry I've made. I don't very often have the time to do one, so I haven't really graduated beyond the basics of stir-frying, but this came out drat well - despite the Chinese girl from a few rooms down having managed to scrub off the seasoning from the bottom of my wok. Secret was, like the OP says, not too much marinade and let the meat sear when you first put it in, before you start to stir-fry it.
Only thing was I didn't have any chicken broth to add at the end when I put the chicken back in and added the soy & chilli bean, so I didn't really get much sauce. I presume I could just use water, maybe with a bit of cornflour?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Could it have been parboiled rice? That stuff never comes out very ricey. I only use it for emergency quick meals that are going to be drowned in a sauce or something.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just make congee out of bad rice. It's the lowest effort. I guess you can make bad rice alcohol out of it too :henget:

Go for quality Japanese rice or rice aimed for the Japanese market. It tends to be pricier but quality is amazing.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Japanese rice is hobbyist rice. Not even kidding. It's like the micro-brew of rice. Old guys who cultivate half a paddy part-time make Japanese rice.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 27, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Japan still doesn't export rice do they?

edit: google seems divided on this issue. But I had always read that Japan didn't allow rice exports.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

caberham posted:

I guess you can make bad rice alcohol out of it too :henget:

Oh my god why haven't I been doing this

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Japan still doesn't export rice do they?

edit: google seems divided on this issue. But I had always read that Japan didn't allow rice exports.

You mean imports?
They ban imports as protection for their industry.

Though I have to say I've never found exported rice either. I bought some Japanese branded rice from my asian grocer, ended up being rice from USA. But I haven't looked very hard to make sure some rice I buy is from Japan, because it's not that important to me. I was just suprised due to the brand and where I bought the rice that it was from the US, distributed in Australia by a Japanese food company/dristibuter.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Actual Japanese rice can get really pricey and is kind of rare or even non existent in the US. :fuckoff: fancypants super markets in East Asia do stock Japanese rice or maybe that's just a Hong Kong/Taiwan thing because everyone is a weaboo.

Japanese style Nishiki rice grown in California isn't too hard to find. Japanese style rice tend to get a little starchy or mushy so add a dash of vinegar to your rice cooker/pot.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Oh my god why haven't I been doing this

Oh no what have I done :ohdear: Maybe you can make awesome booze with rice and erase its stigma. Breweries in East Asia sometimes use rice instead of wheat/barely to cheat. I do suspect that's how Budweiser is made as well.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I mean rice adjuncts is a well known technique but not done in this sort of fashion AFAIK

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Well, ended up making my standard chicken fried rice with it and it turned out OK. The hob I'm using is electric so it's never going to be quite the same as in my old place, but the thing's powerful enough that if I let the wok heat for a few minutes it still gets a bit of that wok hei going on.

Anyone in London got a favourite Sichuan place they'd recommend? Half the people on my floor in uni accommodation are girls from the province.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

We can't get Japanese rice over here, but Korean is decent as well. They're basically the same anyway.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

El Grillo posted:

Anyone in London got a favourite Sichuan place they'd recommend? Half the people on my floor in uni accommodation are girls from the province.

Oh no be careful of electrical fires from all the hot plates :ohdear:

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
If you want good Japanese style rice just look for anything labelled koshihikari rice, it's the same strain that is grown in most Japanese rice paddies. From my experience most Korean supermarkets stock Korean brands of this type of rice that have no noticeable difference to anything you'd get in Japan.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Anyone here made doubanjiang before? Any preferred recipes? I'm not quite sure which chilies I should use (fresh ones, obviously).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Good doubanjiang ages for literally years. Even a real basic one is six months minimum. I think that's one of those things like soy sauce where it's just not worth the trouble.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

El Grillo posted:

Does anyone know the secret of why cheap supermarket brand rice tastes so bad? Want to do some egg fried this eve, went to waitrose looking for long grain but they didn't have any branded stuff, just their own long grain. Assumed it couldn't be tescos level of bad but drat, it's just the same. How do they even achieve the weird taste of cheap rice, what do they do to it?

e: correction, it tastes of nothing but leaves a really weird aftertaste. And it doesn't fluff up at all.

eine dose socken posted:

Rice just comes in various degrees of quality and price, which are usually connected.

I would have never guessed it either before I bought some really cheap knockoff basmati and it completely dissolved into flavorless mush.

I'm not sure the crappy cheap rice is treated in any special way, it's just really low quality.

By far the number one selling rice in any Chinese supermarket (in the US where they can afford it) is Thai Hom Mali (Jasmine) rice. Thailand is somewhat careful about what it will let bear its little ag label so just look for that.

Seriously the whole wall behind the registers will be bags of Family Elephant or any other Thai jasmine rice and then way over on the edge they'll have one pitiful row of something else.

I assume its covered in this thread already but Thai people rinse their rice very thoroughly before cooking it, the water runs almost clear. (Or they rinse it in a pail and then use the ricewater to purge oysters).

raton fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 1, 2015

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's hairy crab season :swoon:

Someone smuggled in a whole bunch from their private crab pond in China

Not too big not too small

Of course the gonads are the best part

I'm pretty slow and can only eat one, it gets a bit too rich for me

Then we had the best fried Yang Zhou fried rice in the world using sand shrimp. Guo Fu Lou restaurant - Hong Kong

Everything is cut into super fine pieces. Apparently the trick to adding the egg to your stir fried rice is to trickle it into the wok. Even the char siu is chopped into super bits (I assume food processor)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Good doubanjiang ages for literally years. Even a real basic one is six months minimum. I think that's one of those things like soy sauce where it's just not worth the trouble.

I've got a fermentation pot I'm not gonna use for a while, and I've always wanted to make it, so I figured why not.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

caberham posted:

Everything is cut into super fine pieces. Apparently the trick to adding the egg to your stir fried rice is to trickle it into the wok. Even the char siu is chopped into super bits (I assume food processor)

Nah you can dice that fine with a knife with a little practice. Food processor is likely to make unsightly shreds.

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green

El Grillo posted:

Try Sichuan Folk or Bar Shu.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

What am I looking for in a Chinese soup spoon

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Porcelain instead of metal? vOv

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

I like the metal soup spoons, they are cheap and indestructible.

Look for stainless Thai brands like Zebra.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

What am I looking for in a Chinese soup spoon

Chinese soup, probably.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

eine dose socken posted:

I like the metal soup spoons, they are cheap and indestructible.

Look for stainless Thai brands like Zebra.

Sacrilege. You are not running some cheap rear end food stall. Porcelain or bust when it comes to Chinese soup spoons.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Porcelain, metal, bunch of loving snobs. Plastic all the way.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I just drink from the bowl.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Porcelain or plastic, because metal utensils make the food taste like metal, it's awful.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Porcelain, metal conducts eat too well, plastic can be sharp and nasty and come on have some respect for yourself. JK but seriously get porcelain even if no one will ever respect you especially not yourself.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Metal utensils are kind of Korea's thing so maybe you can get some metal Korean soup spoons.

Metal flat chopsticks are literally the worst.

Jeoh posted:

I just drink from the bowl.

This is the correct answer, tho.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Use metal chopsticks to eat soup diet works.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

El Grillo posted:

Well, ended up making my standard chicken fried rice with it and it turned out OK. The hob I'm using is electric so it's never going to be quite the same as in my old place, but the thing's powerful enough that if I let the wok heat for a few minutes it still gets a bit of that wok hei going on.

The most 'welp this may as well have been teleported in from china' Sichuan I've been to in London is Chili Cool near Euston. Bonus you can have a pint or two at the Euston Tap or Cider Tap before or after.

Bar Shu and Ba Shan (Ba Shan is Hunanese so a little different but I actually prefer it; get the braised cabbage) are both great but much 'fancier'. The only thing that makes Chili Cool feel fancy is that the restaurant (not hot pot) side has a weird back area that is kind of a glass covered gazebo. Try not to be sat there because it's real hard to get the staff attention.

I haven't obviously tried every sichuan or sichuan like in London but these really loving own. Go to these go go go.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

NLJP posted:

it's real hard to get the staff attention.

So authentic! :swoon:

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
My favourite Cantonese place virtually throws your plate at you and try to walk away after you have only ordered 1 dish for 4 people.

tilp
Apr 7, 2010
Has anybody ever managed to find tian mian jiang in London? I have looked and looked but to no avail. What's the closest substitute here?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

tilp posted:

Has anybody ever managed to find tian mian jiang in London? I have looked and looked but to no avail. What's the closest substitute here?

hoisin sauce comes close i guess?
korea has something called "chunjang" which according to wikipedia is their tianmianjiang

Ebbinate
Oct 26, 2002
Slide Ruler

tilp posted:

Try crushed yellow bean sauce, it comes in cans.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Jeoh posted:

hoisin sauce comes close i guess?
korea has something called "chunjang" which according to wikipedia is their tianmianjiang

I have actually used chunjang as a substitute for tian mian jiang before in twice cooked pork, and it turned out fairly well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

NLJP posted:

The most 'welp this may as well have been teleported in from china' Sichuan I've been to in London is Chili Cool near Euston. Bonus you can have a pint or two at the Euston Tap or Cider Tap before or after.

Bar Shu and Ba Shan (Ba Shan is Hunanese so a little different but I actually prefer it; get the braised cabbage) are both great but much 'fancier'. The only thing that makes Chili Cool feel fancy is that the restaurant (not hot pot) side has a weird back area that is kind of a glass covered gazebo. Try not to be sat there because it's real hard to get the staff attention.

I haven't obviously tried every sichuan or sichuan like in London but these really loving own. Go to these go go go.

Awesome! Another one to add to the list, along with My Old Place. Thanks for all the recommendations folks! Chinese food is becoming a major feature of my first year in London, and it's great.
Went to My Sichuan a few weeks back and it was cool but I left the Chinese girls I was with to order, and they got some moderately far out blood-based and offal-based stuff. Turned out to be too much for me, so I stuck with the rest which was fine but not quite enough for the raging appetite I get when confronted by good Asian food... will have to go back and get them to order slightly more conservatively next time (the frogs legs were awesome though).

Bar Shu I've heard of and is definitely on the list, but probably only for a special occasion looking at the price.
The place they've been going to a lot (haven't been with yet) is this: http://www.honglingjin.co.uk/98887.html
It's another home-style one aimed at Chinese living in London. Looks loving amazing from the photos they've shown me so at some point I'll check it out with them.