Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
[b]I Raphus C Oath 3 Boyz, 28mm GW[:/b]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germ
May 7, 2013

:siren: OATH COMPLETE!!! :siren:

I’m claiming the Technical Challenge for the black and white gargoyle/shadow demon.

Here are some shots of the Wave Serpent. I had intended to use an airbrush on it, but I didn’t make it past basecoating the charcoal color before I caved in and painted the rest by hand. It was super fun to paint – all those smooth curves and big flat areas were perfect for practicing thin layers and trying to smooth my blending.

Everything is magnetized, with the option of switching between the underslung shuriken cannon or the shuriken catapults.

Here is another min-sized squad of jetbikes. I’m varying the red sripes between squads to make them easier to tell apart on the battlefield.

And finally, here’s the gargoyle. I can’t say that I’m happy how it turned out, but I stuck with black and white (no greys that I didn’t mix myself) and tried to avoid drybrushing. Stuff like this reminds me of how often I rely on bright color, contrast, and extreme highlighting in my models, and how I could use some more practice with basic shading.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I, Schmetterling, hereby Oath for the month of October one Malifaux Seisin

It's a ghostly spirit, and my Kirai crew is black and white (with a splash of red) so it should be perfect for the challenge.

I didn't realise my bf's keyboard was so grosssssssss

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

:skeltal: Oath Complete :skeltal:

3 big skeleton dudes, most likely to be used as Wights in KOW

A big-rear end Zombie Dragon, possibly also to be used in KOW when I get around to making a base. I love the 'stupid dog sticking head out of the window' expression the scultor gave him too :3:

Theme Jurnal is the fact they're all undead dudes, plus the Wights have some spooky pictures on their shoulder pads.

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 31, 2015

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Oath Complete!

The big fella is of course my Hades:

The Infantry are my Valkyries with their chunky jump packs:

Finally is my jurnal entry, what could be spookier than Scooby Doo?

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Oath complete!

Claiming I Rolled a 6! for these objective markers.

For Journal this Orc Shaman has dressed up as a spooky ghost for Halloween.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Oath Complete!

I'm claiming jurnal on the middle guy and slightly considering a black and white army because that was a fun thing to paint. I suppose a black and white with more predominantly white scheme might be a pain, though.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Oath Complete! -- although it looks like my oath has not actually been accepted yet.

Jurnul for the spooky skull and skeleton arm on the base.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Oath Complete!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oath Complete!

Sigvald the Magnificent

Sigvald the Magnificent (in my messy garage)

Major Prime Victoria Haley

Past

Present

Future

Dark Elf Standard

This month's Theme is the dark elf standard - it's a Medusa's skull! But why are the snakes still alive?!
(It's actually an old-school template from the 4th ed army book that I painted over and re-drew the lines.)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

OATH COMPLETE

Claiming the challenge with all my evil armoured warrior dudes painted up like :ghost: spooky ghosts :ghost: to pull double duty as Wights in Kings of War, and Wraiths in Frostgrave

Because I don't own a smoke machine, you get spooky colours courtesy of my Ikea LED light bars instead

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

TRICK OR TREAT! We've got some prizes to give out, so best of luck to you in winning some on Halloween!

:siren: AUGUST PRIZE DRAW :siren:

The winner of the SPRINGER-PINSEL brush pack is: NESBIT37!

The winner of the TROLL TRADER & TTCOMBAT brush holder is: PYROLOCUTUS!

And now the GRAB BAG prize!
The winner of the GRAB BAG prize is: JERRYLEE!

We have albums going for both the US-based and the UK-based prize pots! So here's who you will contact for your choice of prize:

If you live in North America, you are choosing from Iris of Ether's prize pot - click here to see what's in there!
If you live in Europe, you are choosing from Krushgroove's prize pot - click here to see what's in there!
If you live anywhere else, you may choose from either prize pot.

To CLAIM your prizes, click here and go to the bottom of the first post in the Oath Thread Season 6 thread.

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

MORE PRIZES!!

:siren: SEPTEMBER PRIZE DRAW :siren:

The winner of the SPRINGER-PINSEL brush pack is: COUNTERSPIN!

The winner of the TROLL TRADER & TTCOMBAT brush holder is: UGLEB!

The winner of the GRAB BAG prize is: BOBFISH!

We have albums going for both the US-based and the UK-based prize pots! So here's who you will contact for your choice of prize:

If you live in North America, you are choosing from Iris of Ether's prize pot - click here to see what's in there!
If you live in Europe, you are choosing from Krushgroove's prize pot - click here to see what's in there!

To CLAIM your prizes, click here and go to the bottom of the first post in the Oath Thread Season 6 thread.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Oath Complete!

Claiming theme challenge: put something spooOOOOooky on your model! As skeletons are not spooky but in fact are awesome bros I painted a super spooky ghost on one of their shields.

(I feel many people oathing missed the challenge this month, it is not paint a spooky model, it's paint something spooky on your model. I hope that misreading doesn't hurt their scores.)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Indolent Bastard posted:

(I feel many people oathing missed the challenge this month, it is not paint a spooky model, it's paint something spooky on your model. I hope that misreading doesn't hurt their scores.)

Yeah, that's why I made doubly sure with the spoooky shoulder pad designs on the wights :)

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Krushgroove specified the challenge a while ago. I bolded the last bold part.

krushgroove posted:

OK, so here's the Challenge for October!

October: The month of horror movie releases and Halloween!
  • technical challenge: paint a 'classic' scary monster, like Frankenstein, the Creature from the Black Lagoon, etc. - but in black and white!
  • theme challenge: put something spooOOOOooky on your model!

:siren: :siren:I need to amend this :siren: :siren: as the "'classic' scary monster" is unintentionally too limiting in the scope of models. Please update the technical challenge to:
  • technical challenge: paint any monster model in 'classic' black and white, just like Boris Karlof's Frankenstein, the Creature from the Black Lagoon, or giant ants - those classic movie monsters from the 40's, 50's and 60's!

To answer the specific questions (which is fine! questions are good!):

I think you mean 'is it enough to paint a ghost model, skeleton model, mummy model, etc, or must we add something (as in sculpting?)' - if this is the case then:
YES - you can paint a ghost, skeleton, mummy or other stereotypically 'spooky' to claim the them challenge
OR - you can convert a model, for example to look like a slashfic horror victim or as Michael Myers or Freddie Krueger or other horror villain
OR - you can...I dunno, paint a spooky ghost on the side of a flyer model or something like that
OR - do whatever you think is within the theme of the challenge. I don't want to be extremely limiting here because of the breadth of games that are represented, and the various themes that people have for their army. It's up to your creative input to come up with something that fits within the theme challenge.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Oath Complete

Click for links to bigger!

This guy came out blurry on the wide shots, and I liked the way he came out. Very Voldemort/Nosferatu.

October theme challenge: Spooky werewolves and vampires, oh my~

Bonus Scary bit: When you are happy with a face and then you see the blown up version...
*Canned-Scream-SFX*

Where did that hair come from!?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

October Oath

I oath five stands of Epic Eldar rangers.

OATH COMPLETE

No bonuses or theme this month.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Oath Complete!

Claiming the spooky jurnal for the conversion work. If a Space Marine can be spooky, I think this one is.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Oath Complete!

This month was actually a lot of fun for me. Decided my black and white "horror" Journal would be from the point of view of the poor mooks in old samurai movies. The board game these are for have all the samurai in either passive or alert status, and the ninja switches between hidden and spotted. Black and White should give it a pretty fun effect on the board. :)

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

oh hey I actually did it. *Oath Complete!*

(click for bigger pictures)

the Charger

Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Pistoleers

Horgenhold Forge Guard, half of the unit painted tan like they are on the box, half painted Breast Cancer Awareness pink

3 Thrall Warriors

the three random Mordheim/Warhams figures

the full oath

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
(Low effort)Oath complete:

Jurnal is the skull face paint on the Boyz.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Oath Complete!

Claiming Jurnal for Duke Anton, as he's a werewolf and all.

Camera really cooperated this time.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
OATH COMPLETE

I was worried for a while that these weren't going to turn out competently, even for tabletop purposes, since I was racing to finish them before the deadline. It didn't help things when my wash came out way darker than I'd thought it would (I was trying to use some cheap inks). I ended up having to do a highlight pass at the last moment, which I'd been hoping to get away without doing on the rank and file of this army. But it didn't take very long and I like the way it came out overall!

The Challenge is, of course, the fact that these are spooky skeletons. But if you're the sort of fuddy-duddy who doesn't think regular skeletons are that spooky, just take a look at that guy in the front left. See that? That's right, his hood is empty. He's a HALF-SKELETON, HALF GHOST. Which I think we can all agree is 3spooky5us.

:ghost: :hb: :quig:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Oath complete!

This is a spooky little spirit guardian with some spooky lanterns sitting on a very spooky tombstone! Challenge complete!

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Oath Complete!

My spoooooky black-and-white Seishin is ready to scare the children of Malifaux for the Challenge.

Bonus pic with a flame for colour, to prove it's actually all b&w

Crab-Stuffed
Jul 24, 2006

Long-time fan, eager to contribute! Good luck everyone!

Alright, let's do 'dis... !

I, Crab-Stuffed Mushrooms oath these 10 Nyss Hunters from Privateer Press for the month of November:

Crab-Stuffed fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 1, 2015

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I Ugleb, hereby oath for the month of November:

One Medusa with Triton-X dropship for Dropzone Commander, 10mm scale by Hawk Wargames
Four Neverborn from the Malifaux Two Player Starter Set, 32mm scale by Wyrd Miniatures.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

lovestick posted:

TRICK OR TREAT! We've got some prizes to give out, so best of luck to you in winning some on Halloween!

The winner of the TROLL TRADER & TTCOMBAT brush holder is: PYROLOCUTUS!

The winner of the GRAB BAG prize is: JERRYLEE!

I must be blind because I don't see Iris of Ether's email. Or am I just supposed to e-mail Krushgroove even though they won't be the one sending my prize?

Also, how many picks do I get from the grab bag? I seemed to recall that it was divided into "large" or "small" picks and you got different combinations of them or something, but I don't see that spelled out anywhere.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Apparently I didn't learn my lesson last month, because I, drgnvale oath for the month of November 42 mantic skeletons:

Maybe the real reason GW killed off WHFB is that the studio painter's carpal tunnel claims were making insurance too expensive?

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

JerryLee posted:

I must be blind because I don't see Iris of Ether's email. Or am I just supposed to e-mail Krushgroove even though they won't be the one sending my prize?

Also, how many picks do I get from the grab bag? I seemed to recall that it was divided into "large" or "small" picks and you got different combinations of them or something, but I don't see that spelled out anywhere.

You can contact me at schaffnc at gmail.

Regarding pick sizes, any special rules like that were when I hadn't realized the prize pool would need to extend longer than a year. :shobon: So pick maybe one box set, or a few smaller sets of minis, and we'll call it good.

Edit: I also just deleted a bunch of the 'CLAIMED' photos from the thread to make it easier to navigate through.

Iris of Ether fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 1, 2015

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Hey goons, so I posted my Oath complete pics in the wrong thread, whoops! :derp:

Weirdo posted:

Oaf Complete! I tried a tutorial for metallic painting on the bull, and while it's a little messy, I like how it turned out. Pumpkin beholder was tricky since I forgot how fussy orange paint can be, and the Necromancer half-orc is a great little mini. Also next month I've gotta get a lightbox.

BOO!

Had fun painting them, I'll have to be more careful next time.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I, Lord Aba, pledge for November more Super Dungeon Explorer schtuff from Soda Pop 28?mm chibi scale (1 Witch Beatrix, 1 Pumpkin dude, 6 ghosts)

Free hand leaves / skulls incoming.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 1, 2015

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Ah hell, I didn't put my username in my pictures. Is there a way I can take care of that?

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

Signal posted:

Ah hell, I didn't put my username in my pictures. Is there a way I can take care of that?

And with that, everyone who participated for the month of October completed their oath!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Iris of Ether posted:

You can contact me at redacted.

Regarding pick sizes, any special rules like that were when I hadn't realized the prize pool would need to extend longer than a year. :shobon: So pick maybe one box set, or a few smaller sets of minis, and we'll call it good.

And just e-mailed you. Thanks for the quick answer!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I, nesbit37, oath for the month of November 1, 28mm birch tree giant by Shadow and Flame, 7, 28mm Bugbears in Bones, and 96, 10mm, rohan infantry and archers by copplestone casting.

lovestick posted:

Yay!

BobFish
Jan 16, 2004

Believe: The Sequel - This time it really will happen

lovestick posted:

MORE PRIZES!!

:siren: SEPTEMBER PRIZE DRAW :siren:

The winner of the GRAB BAG prize is: BOBFISH!

Hooray! Email sent!

My wife laughed at me when I said I had oathed to paint some models. Now lets see the look on her face when even more models turn up at the house! :ohdear:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I, Pierzak, oath the following:

2 Guilangs, 3 Daofei, 1 Foxtrot - all Corvus Belli/Infinity
5 resin alien egg markers - I think by Thor Miniatures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I, Grey Hunter Herby oath the following 4 Guild guys from the Malifaux starter set - 28mm Wyrd Games.

Going to give myself an easy month.

• Locked thread