Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm getting to the point where I actually have to start paying attention to gear choices; on an arsenal merc, is it better to have 220 comm gear, or 216 raid gear with the set bonuses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm getting to the point where I actually have to start paying attention to gear choices; on an arsenal merc, is it better to have 220 comm gear, or 216 raid gear with the set bonuses?

Set Bonus always. You just need the Armoring to get it.

Each level of a Set Bonus is basically a ~3% increase in power so full Set Bonus is basically an extra slot of gear.

Edit: most HM/NiM content is tuned assuming you have the Set Bonus.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Also 216 raid gear will have better stats in every measurable way. It's kind of stupid. Token gear is really really useless if you raid at all.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Hm, I was going to transfer my 50 over, but I think I'll just start fresh and be a Jedi this time~

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Finally I'm ready to start chapter three on my first character....at level 61!

Also I bought 5 of the alliance packs last night and lord help me I can feel myself falling into the gambling demon's embrace.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Oh, are most of the goons Sith? Is playing Republic going to affect my ability to go do stuff?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sith guild had like 45 people yesterday, Republic had 7.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Deviant posted:

Oh, are most of the goons Sith? Is playing Republic going to affect my ability to go do stuff?

Most goons have a Republic alt or four, but yes we're primarily active Imp-side. Every once in a while someone in TNG suggests doing something Republic-side which leads people to change over to their alts. Goon Squad is almost entirely alts of TNG goons.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Most goons have a Republic alt or four, but yes we're primarily active Imp-side. Every once in a while someone in TNG suggests doing something Republic-side which leads people to change over to their alts. Goon Squad is almost entirely alts of TNG goons.

Well, guess I'll get used to hex icons and the color red, then.

Edit:

A few other questions:

- Are the speeder speed increase from cartel coins account wide?
- Is there any way to transfer my 65,000 credits from my republic character? Is 65,000 even a lot any more?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 31, 2015

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Deviant posted:

A few other questions:

- Are the speeder speed increase from cartel coins account wide?
- Is there any way to transfer my 65,000 credits from my republic character? Is 65,000 even a lot any more?

1) If you're referring to the boxes on the character perks screen, no - they're per character.
2) Yes - just mail it. The game allows cross faction mailing between alts on the same server.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Jedi posted:

1) If you're referring to the boxes on the character perks screen, no - they're per character.

"Legacy Perk: improved speeder piloting" in the cartel shop. Not sure what you're referring to.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Deviant posted:

I'm not done with the expansion stuff yet and I've got 200k from the story and trash already.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Deviant posted:

"Legacy Perk: improved speeder piloting" in the cartel shop. Not sure what you're referring to.

Those are per-character. You can train each rank for free if you wait a few more levels, but those give you early access on a specific character if you care. It can be fun zooming around the starter worlds on a speeder or having rank 3 way earlier, but it's kind of frivolous. The normal level requirements are way lower than they used to be.

The stuff that gets unlocked legacy-wide has its own section in the legacy menu that's pretty clearly labeled, and it tends to be super expensive. Everything else is per-character.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Bruceski posted:

Legacy bound, because they know it looks fantastic. The "flaw" here is that you can delete a 60 and get the character token back, as well as porting to your house/legacy storage from inside Chapter 1.
Is this considered an exploit or am I encouraged to do this?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pretty happy with my latest costume

The animation for priming shot even kind of looks like :ocelot:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

You better be spamming /doubleguns everywhere

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

vanbags posted:

Is this considered an exploit or am I encouraged to do this?

Think it falls under the "technically an exploit but no one will do anything about it"

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
With PvP gear is Expertise ignored in the stat budget? If I have a piece of 204 rated pvp gear will it be greatly inferior to a piece of 204 pve gear outside of pvp?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oh Snapple! posted:

You better be spamming /doubleguns everywhere

I don't know if I have that emote but I will make it a priority to get it, thank you.

Medullah posted:

Think it falls under the "technically an exploit but no one will do anything about it"

Speaking of doing things it feels like you aren't supposed to be able to do, apparently 208 offhand barrels you buy with common crystals can be placed into mainhand weapons. Don't know if that will last forever, but it's certainly nice to have now.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

vanbags posted:

With PvP gear is Expertise ignored in the stat budget? If I have a piece of 204 rated pvp gear will it be greatly inferior to a piece of 204 pve gear outside of pvp?

Normally yes but the 208 new pvp gear seems identical to the 208 PvE gear.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So I finished the class quest a year or two ago and dropped the game. I logged back on, but wasn't sure how to continue the story line post 50. I am really only interested in the story and I would like to play through the last two expansion's stories before moving onto KotFE. Do I just go to Illum and that will take me through the story? Every post 50 guide I have found is very confusing. Does anybody have a simple guide that will tell me how best to play through the story and ignore all the other stuff?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

D-Pad posted:

So I finished the class quest a year or two ago and dropped the game. I logged back on, but wasn't sure how to continue the story line post 50. I am really only interested in the story and I would like to play through the last two expansion's stories before moving onto KotFE. Do I just go to Illum and that will take me through the story? Every post 50 guide I have found is very confusing. Does anybody have a simple guide that will tell me how best to play through the story and ignore all the other stuff?

Ilum is post chapter 3, then Makeb can start at 51, then Shadow of Revan can start at 53. Ziost is the prelude to KOTFE and starts at 60.

All optional but I recommend doing at least once to see the stories.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Medullah posted:

Ilum is post chapter 3, then Makeb can start at 51, then Shadow of Revan can start at 53. Ziost is the prelude to KOTFE and starts at 60.

All optional but I recommend doing at least once to see the stories.

Awesome thanks! I read somewhere that you should finish the Corellia quest line before starting Illum as it plays into all the post 50 content. Is this true/worth it?

Also, I don't need to subscribe until it is time for KOTFE right? I can do the first two expansion stories without subscribing?

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 31, 2015

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Just to be clear (as you said outside sources can be a mess), you need to sub to get access to the expansion stuff, but even a referral week-long sub will unlock it for you permanently.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Just to be clear (as you said outside sources can be a mess), you need to sub to get access to the expansion stuff, but even a referral week-long sub will unlock it for you permanently.

All the expansions or just KOTFE?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

All of them.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bruceski posted:

Has anyone confirmed this? I read on Reddit it doesn't work

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

If you INSIST you can buy the other expansions, but you get them with subscriber status so I wouldn't recommend it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Medullah posted:

I got my access to the expansions via a referral subscription, and can still access them now that it lapsed. Unless I'm some loophole because I was subbed when FE was launched, I'm living confirmation.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Medullah posted:

I just used the referral link in the OP. It says:

"7 days of subscription level access with unlimited ability to play all game missions including Warzones, Flashpoints, and Operations up to Level 50 as well as full access to convenience features."

Which leads me to believe it isn't true. Going to go to Illum, we will see if I can access Makeb at 51 with just the referral subscription trial.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
According to the PTR there's a hidden achievement for getting Marr's influence to 50 and it also grants a legacy title. No one knows if it's actually in the game or not. I'm awfully tempted to try it.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Next question. I have queued for Galactic Starfighter a few times but have yet to get put in a match. Does nobody play it? I wanted to check it out...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Thumbtacks posted:

According to the PTR there's a hidden achievement for getting Marr's influence to 50 and it also grants a legacy title. No one knows if it's actually in the game or not. I'm awfully tempted to try it.

Supposedly removed from the PTS early on.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
That's just what they want you to think.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

D-Pad posted:

I just used the referral link in the OP. It says:

"7 days of subscription level access with unlimited ability to play all game missions including Warzones, Flashpoints, and Operations up to Level 50 as well as full access to convenience features."

Which leads me to believe it isn't true. Going to go to Illum, we will see if I can access Makeb at 51 with just the referral subscription trial.

The website is filled with old and out-dated information. For instance on one screen you can see that 12x EXP for story missions is still active, and another has a picture of the physical authenticator that you can't even get anymore. When they originally made the referral message the max level was 50 so my guess is they never bothered to proof-read it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Bruceski posted:

Smuggler -- Veteran Targeter's

Imperial Agent -- Veteran Targeter's

That's not a typo, Republic and Empire factions use the same gear it just looks different based on who's wearing it. If my Trooper wears the BH's stuff it's Trooper armor.

These are the only two good looking ones, really... I guess the Knight one is cool. It's a shame they didn't make them universal and did that faction poo poo like they do on so much other stuff... I'd have loved to deck my Jugg out with that Smuggler armor. :smith:

EDIT:

And again, for those coming back, use a Referral code to get free poo poo!

http://www.swtor.com/r/TkMbdV

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Ya'lls got a serious case of butter face up in here. I spend an inordinate amount of time making sure my faces look nice and match their voices somewhat.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

D-Pad posted:

Next question. I have queued for Galactic Starfighter a few times but have yet to get put in a match. Does nobody play it? I wanted to check it out...

As I understand it Starfighter has an incredibly low user base, and that low user base stuck it out until they ground their ships to max level.

The problem with that second part is that matchmaking is bad, and newbies routinely get paired with these veterans, and the upgrade disparity is huge. So newbies get blown away and don't stick around to get better, and the cycle continues.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

D-Pad posted:

On JC, it's usually taken me anywhere from 10-30 minutes to get in a match after queuing up.

Also, it's not really worth it despite my initial excitement :( It'd be a bit better if I could use my joystick at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So, some Marr news.

He does not have audio if you click on him or if you give him gifts (ungrateful bastard) but he does have combat audio and audio for sending him to sell your trash, which is funny.

He loves Technology gifts (go figure), so Self-Learning Fabricator Matrix is the way to go. Got him to 20 already just from common crystals.

• Locked thread