Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Starved hound

Nailed it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I think the important thing to take away from this is a huge chunk of control over systems that were previously hardcoded into the engine is now being put into the hands of the modders, who will be free to tinker with the guts of the game until it stops being an absolute chore to play.

All sorts of things that either required knowledge of arcane wizardry or were downright impossible to implement cleanly like mechs/vehicles, weapon categories, and unique monsters are apparently going to be a snap to add and tweak, which is a godsend if the end product ends up being unsatisfying (which is a near-certainty by this point).

More moddability is almost always a good thing, and if it's made easy enough that even a computer-illiterate moron like me could do it then it should lead to some interesting results, if what's already been made is any indication. They're giving us the option to throw out every stupid choice they've made and replace them with our own stupid choices, and in all honesty that's probably the best decision they could have made at this point.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Cicadas! posted:

I think the important thing to take away from this is a huge chunk of control over systems that were previously hardcoded into the engine is now being put into the hands of the modders, who will be free to tinker with the guts of the game until it stops being an absolute chore to play.

The Minecraft approach, they call it.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Cryohazard posted:

The Minecraft approach, they call it.

They will be so lucky, unmodded minecraft is a massive chore to play, some of the modpacks are fantastic especially multiplayer. Nothing like having craftable ICBM rockets to rain down on other players and start a huge cold war as everyone either hides or tries to secretly build bigger nastier rockets until someone gets bored enough to launch one and MAD craters half of the server. (this was a lot more fun to play than it sounds)

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Kea posted:

They will be so lucky, unmodded minecraft is a massive chore to play, some of the modpacks are fantastic especially multiplayer. Nothing like having craftable ICBM rockets to rain down on other players and start a huge cold war as everyone either hides or tries to secretly build bigger nastier rockets until someone gets bored enough to launch one and MAD craters half of the server. (this was a lot more fun to play than it sounds)

That sounds great. What mod pack is that?

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

neurotech posted:

That sounds great. What mod pack is that?

Was the old Voltz pack, but its for an older version of minecraft, the ICBM mod itself is abandoned but some guy has just started working on updating it again.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Cicadas! posted:

i feel a mysterious sense of deja vu

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
same as it ever was

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Afraid of Audio posted:

same as it ever was

Same as you ever were, same as starbound.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
As the days go by!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

This is not my beautiful thread

This is not my beautiful game

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
As the days go by!
Starbound isn't finished.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This game's on a roooaaad to nowhere...

In all honesty, those update plans look great, and I'm all for Steam Workshop support and easier multiplayer. Those two things, along with easier modding for you crazy modders out there, will change this whole drat thing.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the last time they reworked combat they SAID it'd be engaging and tactical and poo poo but we ended up with slow backwalking and energy drain

so yeah until I see it in action, and it turns out to be cool? I don't trust it.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

ScorpioMajesty posted:

As the days go by!

Babe Magnet posted:

This is not my beautiful thread

This is not my beautiful game

remove the starbound from the bottom of the ocean

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

My god! What have I done!?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

easier modding for you crazy modders out there

I'll believe it when I loving see it

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
You may find yourself
Living in a wooden shack
And you may find yourself
On another RNG world
Behind the wheel of a large space ship
In a beautiful thread
For a beautiful game

As the days go by
Starbound isn't finished
As the days go by
Chuckle fish is going under
Getting grim creeped again!
After the money's gone
Once in a lifetime
This game might have been good

you may ask yourself
How do I work this
And you may ask yourself
Were is that feature you promised
And you may tell yourself this is not my beautiful game
This is not a beautiful thread!

As the days go by
Starbound isn't finished
As the days go by
After the money's gone
Once in a lifetime

Starbound still isn't done X6

As the days go by
Starbound isn't finished
As the days go by
After the money's gone
Once in a lifetime

You may ask yourself
What is this terrible thread
And you may ask yourself
Were did the fun go
And you may ask yourself
Is it good?... Is it bad?
And you may say to yourself
My God... What did I buy?!

Starbound still isn't done X6 until fade out

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Starbound: A good example of why Steam Early Access is bad.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Excelzior posted:

the last time they reworked combat they SAID it'd be engaging and tactical and poo poo but we ended up with slow backwalking and energy drain

so yeah until I see it in action, and it turns out to be cool? I don't trust it.

Energy drain wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that if you do anything at all that uses energy you end up dry for over half the fight. You can't even get two shots out of your gun without getting tired. It's like "hey guys we made this cool game with procedural guns (that all suck horribly and you can't even use)."

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

maybe this update.... will be good ?? :shobon:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

PSYCH !!

chucklefish is TRASH baby !!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

oddium posted:

PSYCH !!

chucklefish is TRASH baby !!

:eyepop:

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
As an aside to the topic but related, I felt interested in another game published by chucklefish called interstellaria, don't make my mistake, I have no idea how good the game is because the interface and controls are trash, whoever designed it should be drug out into the street and shot.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Kea posted:

As an aside to the topic but related, I felt interested in another game published by chucklefish called interstellaria, don't make my mistake, I have no idea how good the game is because the interface and controls are trash, whoever designed it should be drug out into the street and shot.

That was actually made by a goon. And I agree. I gave up during the tutorial because gently caress that incomprehensible mess.

I backed it during the Kickstarter, just like Starbound. :suicide:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

That was actually made by a goon. And I agree. I gave up during the tutorial because gently caress that incomprehensible mess.

Wow, that game looks like a hot mess.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Well according to my steam I have played about 70 hours of Starbound, I think I paid around £7 or so for it originally so ten hours per £1 isn't too bad but yeah, I dont think i would be as annoyed if Starbound didn't have so much potential.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Starbound was the first early access game i bought and it put me off EA for three years until a couple weeks ago when i got Darkest Dungeon, which is a very good game.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
That patch looks promising, and sounds like a combination of "we know this poo poo is inadequate, so we're making it better" and "we realize that the minecraft/terraria/elder scrolls approach to modding is actually really good when your team is bad at engaging content, so we're making that easier".

I dont have comprehensive knowledge of Starbound's history, but if they make progress on both they could be on the right track.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Kly posted:

Starbound was the first early access game i bought and it put me off EA for three years until a couple weeks ago when i got Darkest Dungeon, which is a very good game.

Broforce is excellent, though no longer in EA. Even when it was, it kicked rear end.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Running With Rifles was also really good EA

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

nuclear throne is also a good early access title

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

nuclear throne is also a good early access title

yes. i didnt buy it myself but some one gifted it to me and it is very good too.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Neurolimal posted:

"we realize that the minecraft/terraria/elder scrolls approach to modding is actually really good
Terraria is the odd one out of that group because modding it is actually super unintuitive and difficult and you can't do much at all.
If modding in Terraria was as open and easy as modding in Starbound it would be loving incredible though.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, most of what people can do for terraria is make set adventure maps, which...isn't exactly a great replacement. i'm actually amazed that some sort of update wasn't put out to make modding actually possible. it's the one thing that has kept minecraft relevant all these years.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

Terraria is the odd one out of that group because modding it is actually super unintuitive and difficult and you can't do much at all.
If modding in Terraria was as open and easy as modding in Starbound it would be loving incredible though.

Yeah Starbound allready has a lot of help, the thing with Minecraft was that it was never designed for mods either, as far as I know people just decompiled it and worked with the obfuscated code as best they could.

Talking of modding starbound I noticed that the quest script seems pretty simple, I dont really know lua but im horribly tempted to slap together a randomly generated quest system that rewards materials/patterns/pixels, they would just be fetch quests but still. On the other hand what with the random updates Im not sure Im willing to put any time into something that may be incompatible soon.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

yeah, most of what people can do for terraria is make set adventure maps, which...isn't exactly a great replacement. i'm actually amazed that some sort of update wasn't put out to make modding actually possible. it's the one thing that has kept minecraft relevant all these years.
I'm still boggling over how cool Terraria would be if it was as moddable as starbound or minecraft. There would be no need for Starbound at all, you could just throw in extra dimensions/planets and new races and poo poo into Terraria. Starbound would be like, Starb-extraneous. Starbunecessasry. I'm still working on it.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

I'm still boggling over how cool Terraria would be if it was as moddable as starbound or minecraft. There would be no need for Starbound at all, you could just throw in extra dimensions/planets and new races and poo poo into Terraria. Starbound would be like, Starb-extraneous. Starbunecessasry. I'm still working on it.

I havent played terraria in ages, feature wise how much richer is it than Starbound?

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Redigit's gone on record saying that he'd like the final major update for Terraria to include a modding API, so it could happen.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Honestly, I think one of the main issues with Starbound right now is that they haven't gone far enough into random generation. Sure, they have random monster appearance and stats, but all their attacks, abilities, and otherwise interesting features are chosen from a canned list. The same goes for the special weapons, which have random stats that ultimately become meaningless beyond the DPS, and their special abilities are chosen from the same canned list which means you keep running into the same five features all the time. They really ought to focus on making those special abilities more variable and subject to procedural generation, and the only reason I can think of to avoid it would be because it could be hard to balance or something :shrug:? But even still, it could potentially be done in a fair and balanced manner with time and effort. I don't understand why this hasn't been thought of at any point of Starbound's development.

I hope this will end up being something that the modding community will fix, but only time will tell if that's a likely prediction or just hopeless optimism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
What I want to know is why there focusing so hard on mele combat in a space game. I know light sabers are cool and all but the game plays more like a tereria 2 with planet hoping than how I invisioned "starbound" would pay. I thought mele weapons were a early game thing that was supposed to be replaced with lasers and rockets and jet packs, oh my! It just feels too midevil.

• Locked thread