Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hammer/shield is pretty great too though, you send whole rats flying around while getting to bonk em on the head every now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

John Dyne posted:

A similar question is what the hell the bar by the staff itself means. It doesn't look like it correlates to the indicators, since I can fill up the bar by my staff and vent before hitting the indicators, and that bar stays full. I thought it was a heat indicator for when you're not using the staff but it seems to drain much slower than the overcharge bar.

I think that's an indicator for how much heat is in the section that can be vented safely, to let you know when you're in that part and can start running the fire-vent cycle.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, the bar on the weapon indicator is the safe zone.

explosivo posted:

Hammer/shield is pretty great too though, you send whole rats flying around while getting to bonk em on the head every now and then.

Yeah, but Any any shield set can send rats flying and the hammer pulps rat heads far less often than the Axe takes them, it feels like.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

The one handed hammer for the dorf is amazing. Fast attack that deals a bunch of damage that sends rats flying.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There is nothing funnier than having a vermin swarm come up over the walls on Ramparts at you as a shield character. Just send all the rats right back off the wall in a great waterfall of squeaking.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I admit, I sometimes do stupid things and overextend myself in an attempt to shield-push rats off cliffs. They make such amusing screams as they fall. :allears:

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Nothing kills Stormvermin like sheer drop.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
PSA: do you see multiple stormvermin (like 3) running in to engage you while fighting a horde? Just loving bomb them, save the time and life. To be fair I've really only seen this happen on the crescendo events and Wheat and Chaff though.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
PSA: Always check behind you. Like, make a habit of it. Too many goons I've grouped with just like sprint ahead and ignore anything that's past. This isn't L4D - those 2 - 3 random clanrats chasing us WILL stab you in the butt at the worst time, or make the guy at the back of the group lose health dealing with it. Always be checkin your butts and killing rats that chase.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Fishstick posted:

PSA: Always check behind you. Like, make a habit of it. Too many goons I've grouped with just like sprint ahead and ignore anything that's past. This isn't L4D - those 2 - 3 random clanrats chasing us WILL stab you in the butt at the worst time, or make the guy at the back of the group lose health dealing with it. Always be checkin your butts and killing rats that chase.

Yeah real talk keeping things off your rear end is way more important in this than in L4D. If I recall, you could maybe outrun the infected in L4D, but these loving skaven can and will run your rear end down. Better to deal with them now than later.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
I swear I saw someone playing Markus last night and he had some kind of skull-face-helmet-thing going on. I haven't seen any images of it elsewhere.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Syrant posted:

I swear I saw someone playing Markus last night and he had some kind of skull-face-helmet-thing going on. I haven't seen any images of it elsewhere.

Yep there's a death knight of morr helmet.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rayjenkins posted:

Yeah real talk keeping things off your rear end is way more important in this than in L4D. If I recall, you could maybe outrun the infected in L4D, but these loving skaven can and will run your rear end down. Better to deal with them now than later.

I believe they actually speed up if they're behind you.

Skaven love stabbin' backs.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

xthetenth posted:

Yep there's a death knight of morr helmet.

Kruber's entire regiment was wiped out by a necromancer casting Purple Sun. I'm pretty sure Kruber personally gutted the bastard.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Night10194 posted:

I believe they actually speed up if they're behind you.

Skaven love stabbin' backs.

It is very easy to lose someone who's only slightly behind because he keeps getting hit by random chasers - especially on 'escape' parts of missions (Ramparts, Enemy Below, etc). Don't ignore that poo poo.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I admit, I sometimes do stupid things and overextend myself in an attempt to shield-push rats off cliffs. They make such amusing screams as they fall. :allears:

One of the funniest moments I had in the beta was on Supply and Demand when I lagged behind slightly at the burning grain silo. Half the team is already on the top floor as I enter the silo and someone kicks a clanrat down from there. I just hear this long scream, look up and get to watch the Clanrat fall the last few meters and go splat on the ground right in front of me. :haw:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Syrant posted:

Might've been me.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Might've been me.

MEDIOCRE

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Might've been me.

Good to see Rattleshirt is still finding work in the fantasy genre.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Witch hunters, elves, bright wizards, and drakefire dwarves make good rearguard checkers because of the easy, cheap ranged weaponry so if you're playing one of those just keep an eye on the back and tossing shots back. BW especially because the fireball can clue the rearmost person to spin around, too.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Ravenfood posted:

Witch hunters, elves, bright wizards, and drakefire dwarves make good rearguard checkers because of the easy, cheap ranged weaponry so if you're playing one of those just keep an eye on the back and tossing shots back. BW especially because the fireball can clue the rearmost person to spin around, too.

Literally anyone makes a good rearguard, if they're actually looking. Not making GBS threads on you, just saying that if anyone at all is actually paying attention and communicating while doing rearguard duty, then you're golden.

Personally, I'm partial to the BW with beam staff, or a dwarf with a grudge-raker and +100% ammo mag size.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Fishstick posted:

They literally spawn directly behind you half the time

it is the dumbest loving thing

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Coolguye posted:

They literally spawn directly behind you half the time

it is the dumbest loving thing

They don't? They spawn in the periphery, but you have plenty of time to react. Nothing to blame but yourself.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Why does the join on player or accept invite not work anymore? Even though I tell it not to, it always loads the launcher. Then the launcher does not load the game I tried to join. And I have to watch the intro. And also I have to rejoin and reload the inn again.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You can skip the intro movie by holding enter or space.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Rayjenkins posted:

They don't? They spawn in the periphery, but you have plenty of time to react. Nothing to blame but yourself.

Yeah they most certainly do. They also do what you said but surprise surprise spawns are hosed right up in a bunch of places.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Nightmare W&C, Nightmare White Rat :smithicide:

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I got myself a master crafted repeater pistol and I can confirm what everyone in the thread says: the repeater pistol is hot garbage. If the elf shortbow is the pistol from Doom, the repeater pistol is an unberserked fist.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Rayjenkins posted:

You can actually watch them spawn in Directly where you were standing not more than a second ago when you look backwards sometimes. So, yes, they do. They will quite literally pop into existence from nothing within stab range of your anus. Pucker up.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

grimcreaper posted:

You can actually watch them spawn in Directly where you were standing not more than a second ago when you look backwards sometimes. So, yes, they do. They will quite literally pop into existence from nothing within stab range of your anus. Pucker up.

That's different from spawning behind you in a hidden fashion. I won't deny that they might spawn in front of you. This game is certainly not perfect. My point is more that you should keep an eye behind you. I won't defend the spawning mechanics in the game, but I will state that you can guard against them easily.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Trueflight bow is giving me grief. Like, there's 300 rats, and I don't care about any of them. There's a ratling gunner on a roof killing everyone. I need to hit him, specifically. I lock on, he is glowing red as the god damned sun, my arrow goes 20 feet out and turns hard right to do loop de loops around the rear end in a top hat common nobody rats between us.

What the gently caress is this bow even for if not specifically hitting the thing that's lit up?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
look the arrow has ADD and an urge to kill

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I know its trash anyways, but apparently the increased zoom trait doesn't even work, judging by these two green handguns I have for the soldier.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Gimnbo posted:

I got myself a master crafted repeater pistol and I can confirm what everyone in the thread says: the repeater pistol is hot garbage. If the elf shortbow is the pistol from Doom, the repeater pistol is an unberserked fist.

Is that the one for Kruber? I got that the other day and I'm pretty sure I hate it. No damage to speak of and it doesn't ever seem to hit anything.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

PantsOptional posted:

Is that the one for Kruber? I got that the other day and I'm pretty sure I hate it. No damage to speak of and it doesn't ever seem to hit anything.

For the Witch Hunter. It's even worse than Kruber's.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The obnoxious thing is that in theory the repeaters should be very good horde shooters and if you get bloodlust or regrowth on them (or better, both) they'd be utterly fantastic for regenerating a little health in between set pieces. Their alt fire fucks up specials pretty nicely from up close, so you're not even really sacrificing much there.

The issue, of course, is that every loving repeater in the Empire appears to have been tested by Elmer goddamn Fudd and will fail to hit rats even though they're completely inside the reticle for no apparent reason.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I think I realize why I like Axe+shield so much better than the swords/hammers/maces. The shield already gives plenty of multi-target smashing. The axe itself is great for chopping up individual dudes and specials, since it has armor piercing and decent damage even on normal attacks. I think all the other shield weapons don't have armor piercing on normal attack, but instead can hit multiple enemies.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The charged attack on shield weapons is actually really great against Stormvermin because while it takes a bunch of whacks to kill them, you can basically stunlock them and open them up to your buddies or wear them down yourself.

Honestly, the charged shield attacks are just fantastic in general.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, its great for stunning them. I find I can usually get in a quick axe chop between stunning bashes on Stormvermin.

I really like HW+Shield. Of course, I also like 2handed hammers too, but I find I take more damage using them since I get so much more aggressive with wading into rat packs with huge swings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I had a mission where I wasted 350 rats, nearly double what any of my allies did, primarily by wading into swarms of clanrats/slaves and just shield bashing over and over again to send them all flying. Axe and shield dwarf is the best dwarf, and the axe is strong enough to serve against poo poo like the Rogre.

At the same time, nothing is more satisfying than an orange double hand axe with Heroic Killing Blow having a chance to just remove a rogre.

• Locked thread