Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I've got a 228i loaner car while my car is getting fixed. Are all new BMWs this chintzy? This is the cheapest interior I've ever experienced. If I paid $36k for this like the sticker on it says, I'd be pissed.

Sadly, it seems like almost all new cars have taken a dive in interior material quality. Hard plastic panels, low quality door cards, fake aluminum trim, high-gloss surfaces that show every fingerprint and speck of dust, and lovely bright blue lighting everywhere. Not to mention the travesty that is most infotainment systems and the disappearance of real buttons for touch screens.

I was just at the auto show a few weeks back, and my E46 has a better interior than almost anything on the market under like 60k, including the new 3/4 series. I feel the same way about my parents' 2003 Acura TL-S, much nicer interior than almost all new cars despite being over 10 years old. It's pretty sad when you walk away from checking out 100 new cars that you can go buy today, and only like 3 or 4 of them priced under 50k hold any appeal at all.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This thing is just leaving me wishing I had my 135i back.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

SuperDucky posted:

Please take pictures, I'm sure CAtuned will be there and I'm huge fans of their work. (look for the nearly laguna seca blue e30)

I almost bought an e30 from Igor and a coworker actually did buy a euro e30 from them, good people

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Guinness posted:

Sadly, it seems like almost all new cars have taken a dive in interior material quality. Hard plastic panels, low quality door cards, fake aluminum trim, high-gloss surfaces that show every fingerprint and speck of dust, and lovely bright blue lighting everywhere. Not to mention the travesty that is most infotainment systems and the disappearance of real buttons for touch screens.

I was just at the auto show a few weeks back, and my E46 has a better interior than almost anything on the market under like 60k, including the new 3/4 series. I feel the same way about my parents' 2003 Acura TL-S, much nicer interior than almost all new cars despite being over 10 years old. It's pretty sad when you walk away from checking out 100 new cars that you can go buy today, and only like 3 or 4 of them priced under 50k hold any appeal at all.

Its all about tech these days. Sadly, the way technology moves, I feel like any car you buy, the tech will be horribly out of date in 2-3 years, which I guess is the right time for some one to buy a new car.

Though my recent comment, I did notice that E46/E39 interiors have been holding up extremely well and still look fantastic. I still say to this day BMW's height was the late 90's/early 2000's. Best interiors, and handsome looking cars. The E39/E38/E46 family are about the best looking cars on the road today, IMO.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The only thing I'd want from my car right now is to be able to play audio over bluetooth. Other than that, I don't want any fancy technology poo poo. I've got my satellite radio and I can play music off a USB drive. I don't need a crazy screen showing album art and maps and poo poo.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I bought http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTC450-Bluetooth-Hands-Free-Input/dp/B009NLTW60 for my 135i

I have the non nav pro radio upgraded with an added amp line level converter and new underseat subs and it sounds great.

That little dongle always connects to my phone when I get in. Starts auto playing music and I can skip tracks with a little Bluetooth button I bought

http://www.amazon.ca/Satechi%AE-Bluetooth-Button-Series-Samsung/dp/B00RM75NL0?th=1&psc=1

I keep that on the e brake bear the back to skip and play tracks. Best $80 I ever spent to add Bluetooth

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Cojawfee posted:

The only thing I'd want from my car right now is to be able to play audio over bluetooth. Other than that, I don't want any fancy technology poo poo. I've got my satellite radio and I can play music off a USB drive. I don't need a crazy screen showing album art and maps and poo poo.

The GROM BT module works pretty well if you've got an e46.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Though my recent comment, I did notice that E46/E39 interiors have been holding up extremely well and still look fantastic. I still say to this day BMW's height was the late 90's/early 2000's. Best interiors, and handsome looking cars. The E39/E38/E46 family are about the best looking cars on the road today, IMO.

Agreed.

However, BMW and other German brands except Audi seem to have created two classes of interior. The 5,6,7 series cars all have awesome high quality interiors while the 2,3,4 seem to have fallen off. One of the Roundel editors noticed the same thing. Makes sense sorta. Gotta get people to move up.

I will say that while the luxury brand interiors have been moving down rent, the non luxury segment has been moving in the opposite direction.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cojawfee posted:

This thing is just leaving me wishing I had my 135i back.

I feel like BMW's interior quality has been on the decline for a while. Part of the reason I ended up in another E46 over an E92 is that I really, really hated the interior. I thought it was just me being grouchy at first, but even the friend I had with me for the test drive commented on it. It feels weird to say anything has a lower quality interior than a car where the pillar fabric likes to randomly fall off.

Edit- The F30 loaner I got a while ago when I was in for my airbag recall seemed alright, though.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 30, 2015

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I've got the exact same thing in my E46. It's cheap, simple, and works great through the aux input of the factory head. I mounted it on the left side next to the stereo. I popped off the dash trim (super easy) and ran the wires underneath. It puts the controls in a convenient location, the mic in a good place for voice pick up, and is overall pretty discrete. As an added bonus, its cig lighter power plug doubles as a powered USB port for charging.

I did have to add one of these, the E46 stereo is apparently extremely sensitive to electrical noise and will cut off the aux input if the signal is anything but perfect. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EAQTRI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

Guinness fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 30, 2015

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Paradoxish posted:

I feel like BMW's interior quality has been on the decline for a while. Part of the reason I ended up in another E46 over an E92 is that I really, really hated the interior. I thought it was just me being grouchy at first, but even the friend I had with me for the test drive commented on it. It feels weird to say anything has a lower quality interior than a car where the pillar fabric likes to randomly fall off.

Edit- The F30 loaner I got a while ago when I was in for my airbag recall seemed alright, though.

:confused: the e9x interior quality shits ALL over a F30's, which just seems cheap and chintzy.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Guinness posted:

I've got the exact same thing in my E46. It's cheap, simple, and works great through the aux input of the factory head. I mounted it on the left side next to the stereo. I popped off the dash trim (super easy) and ran the wires underneath. It puts the controls in a convenient location, the mic in a good place for voice pick up, and is overall pretty discrete. As an added bonus, its cig lighter power plug doubles as a powered USB port for charging.

I did have to add one of these, the E46 stereo is apparently extremely sensitive to electrical noise and will cut off the aux input if the signal is anything but perfect. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EAQTRI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

Yea you might need a ground loop isolator. The bmw pro radio uses fiber to get to the built in amp so this isn't much of a concern in newer cars but depends on what radio you have

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
After about 10 months of searching I finally replaced the lovely goddamn saturn astra that my parents sold me to replace my wrecked aw11. At 4k CAD and a Saturd I think e46s are probably the best bang for buck ultimate driving machine on the market. It's a 330i with 88k miles, virtually no rust and every option other than the LSD.

It will be carrying me through a salty Canadian winter so I'm thinking that sourcing an LSD and dumping a load of Krown on the body when the subframe comes out would be a good idea.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-transmission...gationFlag=true
The ad says this will work with the car, but I thought id post it here to check before I buy something that might not fit the car.

As far as maitenance goes I'm covering the basics, but the shifter is a piece of hot garbage that feels like it's made of dry twigs, so that is being upgraded. I'm also chasing an oil leak that I think is just the valve cover dripping onto the exhaust manifold because the smell comes and goes quickly but has that really intense burning motor oil smell. When I have a chance to put it up on the hoist I'll confirm the source.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Nah don't waste your money on a UUC setup, they are way too expensive for what you get. There's a cheapo option of using a 550i shifter with ZHP knob on ECS tuning, seems to be a good option and that's what I will be putting on my 330i.

Clutch stop is not really needed but maybe you've tried one in the past and liked it? You should be able to remove the CDV from your clutch line without buying anything.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I also like the stuff these people make http://www.akgmotorsport.com/catalog/catalog.php?maincat=e46 which has a way cheaper shifter part than the UUC.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Im working at an indy bmw shop, so ill be getting dealer price on the UUC parts which will make the whole order be around 400 USD. Ive also installed a few on 135i's and 1m's and I really like the way it shifts.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
A UUC drain plug hosed the threads in my mom's N52 X5. I will be removing all of the ones I have in my cars now.

Mind you, I am a Peachtree CCA member and know all of those guys. When I buy bought parts from them I'd just go straight there. I cannot recommend you put any of their parts on your vehicle, they're just poorly engineered.

Also, for fucks' sake even if you ignore this warning, just put powerflex in your lollipops, christ.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I'm a big fan of the cae shifter. Seems mental to spend all this money on a 330 though. Could have put it towards an m.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Lightbulb Out posted:

I also like the stuff these people make http://www.akgmotorsport.com/catalog/catalog.php?maincat=e46 which has a way cheaper shifter part than the UUC.

Wow, that is a way nicer product. Thanks for the link!

Bape Culture posted:

Seems mental to spend all this money on a 330 though. Could have put it towards an m.

You're right, I shouldn't spend $500 to fix the broken parts on my car and should definitely sell it and also clear out my bank account, TFSA and cash savings to buy a $20k used car that requires $200 oil changes.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

TWSS posted:

Wow, that is a way nicer product. Thanks for the link!

You're right, I shouldn't spend $500 to fix the broken parts on my car and should definitely sell it and also clear out my bank account, TFSA and cash savings to buy a $20k used car that requires $200 oil changes.

I know. Or you could just do your own oil haha.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Bape Culture posted:

I know. Or you could just do your own oil haha.

7l of gulf 10w60 and a filter isn't much less than 200 CAD

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Wow Canada has clown prices when I do my oil with the recommended castrol poo poo it's about 60 quid. 200 dollar oil changes? That ain't me.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Brock Landers posted:

Agreed.

However, BMW and other German brands except Audi seem to have created two classes of interior. The 5,6,7 series cars all have awesome high quality interiors while the 2,3,4 seem to have fallen off. One of the Roundel editors noticed the same thing. Makes sense sorta. Gotta get people to move up.

I will say that while the luxury brand interiors have been moving down rent, the non luxury segment has been moving in the opposite direction.

I've noticed this poking around the dealership waiting on parts. The F30 3 series has a better design than the E90 but looks/feels very cheap and definitely nowhere near as solid as the E46; the doors were so light on the F30 I thought I could break them, but the E46 doors have a nice heft to them.

In contrast, the F10 5 is just as good as the E39 if not better, lots more attention to detail and higher quality materials.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

TWSS posted:

After about 10 months of searching I finally replaced the lovely goddamn saturn astra that my parents sold me to replace my wrecked aw11. At 4k CAD and a Saturd I think e46s are probably the best bang for buck ultimate driving machine on the market. It's a 330i with 88k miles, virtually no rust and every option other than the LSD.

It will be carrying me through a salty Canadian winter so I'm thinking that sourcing an LSD and dumping a load of Krown on the body when the subframe comes out would be a good idea.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-transmission...gationFlag=true
The ad says this will work with the car, but I thought id post it here to check before I buy something that might not fit the car.

As far as maitenance goes I'm covering the basics, but the shifter is a piece of hot garbage that feels like it's made of dry twigs, so that is being upgraded. I'm also chasing an oil leak that I think is just the valve cover dripping onto the exhaust manifold because the smell comes and goes quickly but has that really intense burning motor oil smell. When I have a chance to put it up on the hoist I'll confirm the source.

UUC shifter is a poorly designed part (just like most other UUC products, avoid). lovely rear end set screws that can and will break. Delrin carrier bushings, a new pivot cup, dssr and a 550i shifter will be about 95% as tight as any aftermarket kit. The ZF gearboxes actually have quite a bit of internal slop that you will never get rid of.

Also, that isn't an LSD. There was no factory LSD for an e46 non-M ever.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Yes Cooling God? You rang?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

TWSS posted:

Bwahaha I knew you couldn't escape BMW ownership. Once you saw my E34 it was all over and you didn't even realize it.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

GD oil pan gasket

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Hey, so my E36 just developed a strange problem. The light switch turns the headlights off but won't turn off any of the dash or console lights. Additionally, I get the buzzer when I remove the key (That normally only sounds when the headlights are on when the key is out). Anyone seen anything like this before? It's already drained my battery once now in the week it's been doing it.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You should get a jap car.

Hrm, I really like my new (to me) 118i.

Yeah but something like a WRX has so much power. We live in Australia, Subaru parts are dirt cheap and everyone can fix them.

Yeah, I know. Just doesn't do it for me though, I could with more power and I might trade up in capacity.. But I don't think I want any other car.

Is it a front wheel drive? No, it's rear. Oh. How big are those tires on the back? 245s. Oh. Is that a 6 speed gearbox? Yep. Oh. Where is the spare? They don't have one, it has run flats. Oh. Does your phone plug in? There is an integrated Bluetooth carkit. Oh. Is everything in there black leather? Yes. Oh. Has that got a skirt kit or something? No, it comes stock like that. Oh.

My new BMW owning experience.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Infinotize posted:

GD oil pan gasket

Yours too?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Man, maybe I'm biased but it really seems like the e82 135i will stand the test of time. I really love mine and they have so much potential. They made a shitload of e9X m3s and you can swap over pretty much everything from one, and from what I heard doing an S65 swap isn't even that bad. They weigh around the same as an e36 m3, similar dimensions, still have hydro power steering

I'm almost done getting my e30 back on the road but I keep thinking about what I could've done to the 135i with the money.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I may be biased as well. It's my favorite BMW so far and I want to buy more of them. They were made in about the same quantity as the E9x M3, so as few as you see now, there are just going to be less and less as the years go by. Even now people have not even heard of a 1 series. I think in several years it's going to be a "what kind of BMW is that" kind of car. I can't stop staring at mine and having to drive this 2 series is agony knowing there is a better car out there.

If I ever become rich, look out because I'm going to have:

My current 135i DCT
128i slicktop with a manual
135i with manual
1M
E82 with an S65 swap
E82 with LS2 swap

I want every 1 series I can get.

Edit: poo poo, I forgot I need both an N55 and N54.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 1, 2015

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

The 1 series has grown on me a lot more recently. It's a well proportioned car and a pretty good value. I've had pipe dream thoughts of getting my E36 M3 in better shape to sell off and hunt down a 128i 6MT as a replacement. They can be found for a song, and arguably will be more reliable than the M3, similar power/weight/size and the comforts that come with a newer car.

None of that is a reality until the M3 is where I want it to be though. It also delays the real plan of getting an E90 M car in the next ~2 years too.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I absolutely loved my 128i.

But. When I get another 1 series, it will have a turbo. Hopefully enough will be in enthusiast hands shortly, that all of its integrated electronics will be more easily accessible by owners (and maybe it is now, I haven't kept up). At the time, the only option was sketchy grey market Chinese.

I mean, the radio display died and it took the dealer several hours to get the body computer to accept a new OEM radio unit. It's like all the stuff old guys believed about computers making cars impossible, finally came true. That weighed more heavily than anything on my decision to sell.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Party Alarm posted:

Man, maybe I'm biased but it really seems like the e82 135i will stand the test of time. I really love mine and they have so much potential. They made a shitload of e9X m3s and you can swap over pretty much everything from one, and from what I heard doing an S65 swap isn't even that bad. They weigh around the same as an e36 m3, similar dimensions, still have hydro power steering

I'm almost done getting my e30 back on the road but I keep thinking about what I could've done to the 135i with the money.

They only sold about 25,000 E9x M3's in north america, which granted, isn't a boutique car number but it's hardly like you can get a S65 + drivetrain out of every pick-n-pull in the country or anything. It isn't like buying an LSx. You'll need the brakes as well. What's the widest tire you can stuff under a 1-series?

Assembling a homebrew M135 piecemeal seems like a lot of money and effort and potential for poo poo to go wrong when you could, y'know, just buy an E9x M3 and take 400 pounds off it so it weighs exactly the same as the 135i and learn to live with the fact it's such a giant car at a whole 3" wider than a 135i.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is that all? The E90 M3 feels like a loving huge car compared to the older cars when you're driving it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

If you're building a pointless Frankenstein car why would you give a poo poo about messing with the arches? Just bolt something on and run 13Js.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

BlackMK4 posted:

Is that all? The E90 M3 feels like a loving huge car compared to the older cars when you're driving it.

If these specs are to be believed, which I didn't see any wild objections to when I was looking it up.

F80/E92
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=925930
Weight: 3483 lbs
Width: 71.7 in / 1821 mm

1-Series:
http://www.autoevolution.com/cars/bmw-1-series-coupe-e82-2010.html#aeng_bmw-1-series-coupe-e82-2010-120i-6at-170-hp
Weight: 3075 lbs
Width: 68.8 in OR 1748 mm

I think the E92 feels tiny for the size of the power it makes, I was expecting a much bigger 'muscle car' feeling before I actually drove one myself but then when I brought mine home, discovered it's shorter and narrower than the 'midsize economy sedan' it replaced in my garage.
It's bigger than the E30, sure, but it's smaller than a 3rd-gen Altima.

e: My other old car is a '85 Volvo 240 so if you want 1" thick doors and 70% of the cockpit-being-glass design, I'm down with that idea too. I know which car I'd rather be in a crash in though.

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 1, 2015

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You've got all the M3s which have the engine, plus there are going to be crate engines around to cover all the cases where an S65 might get blown and they had to do a replacement. There are enough of engines to go around if one is so inclined to get one. Though, an LS2 swap would definitely be more economical. Probably the better upgrade as well. As far as upgrades for an E82 go, you've got the N54/55 with a tune which can get you near 400HP/400ft/lb. There's the LS2 which is also around 400hp/400ft/lb. Then you've got the S65 which is only around 400HP/300ft/lb. Doing the S65 swap is really only about the cool factor of making a small M3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Only one of those engines revs to 8400 safely. There is definitely something cool about that, but yes. If you're going to ruin your car by putting a weird engine in it, might as well go LS2 because then someone else on the planet might have an idea how to help you fix it when something inevitably breaks/quits working correctly.