Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Master Twig posted:

The idea of being fashionably late to a party.

I'm hosting a Halloween party tonight. Over 20 people are coming. The party was set to start 10 minutes ago, and there is nobody here yet. I wanted it to start at this time, but I guess if I wanted that I should have set the time an hour earlier. But then people would complain about me starting it too early.

If someone tells me a party is starting at 9, I'm there at 9. Then other people START arriving at like 9:45. It's loving ridiculous, and I refuse to change.

KoB posted:

People that arent on time for their poo poo. I work in a real estate office and the agents are constantly late for everything. If I hired an agent that was frequently late I would fire their rear end immediately. I dont think the owner has ever gotten here before her appointment started.

One of my friends was having a weekday get-together at a bar that was supposed to start at 10pm. A bunch of her invitees were like, "Uh, I have work, can we make this a little earlier?" so she changed it to 9pm. Then she arrived literally at 9:59, as I was leaving. Why the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

bradzilla posted:

I know smoke alarms are supposed to be life-savers, but they're just loving annoying the other 99.999999999999999% of time that nothing is going on. Cooking something greasy/slightly smoky? Sound the loving alarm. Oh you haven't pressed my button in a week? Better chirp loudly until you press the test button to confirm that I still work. Low battery? Better make a loud chirp every 30 seconds until the battery is changed, starting at 3am. This is what is pissing me off, because the people in the upstairs unit had one of their smoke alarms doing the low battery chirp, but it apparently wasn't loud enough to wake them up to turn it off. So I got awoken around 4am and once I noticed the chirp I couldn't get back to sleep. I also couldn't identify the source, so went around standing by each smoke alarm in my unit and the basement trying to figure out which one was making the noise. Luckily I can go into work whenever I want because that poo poo drives me loving nuts.

I've probably replaced the batteries on a smoke detector unit at least 20 times in my life. Only on one single occasion has it been outside the midnight-4am time window. It's infuriating. Especially because some units signal the other units in a house when one is low, so you have to stand there in your underwear at 2am in the morning and try to figure out which one is beeping 0.1second before the others.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Someday a smoke detector might save my life but until then, gently caress them forever, and then gently caress them forever after that because they will ruin the rest of my life that they saved. They are awful.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Nest makes smoke detectors that you can turn off with your phone and instead of chirping they send you a text that you should replace the batteries.

When we finally buy a house those are the first things getting installed.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Nest makes smoke detectors that you can turn off with your phone and instead of chirping they send you a text that you should replace the batteries.

When we finally buy a house those are the first things getting installed.

I didn't know how badly I wanted this until now. I will be investigating this product immediately.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

You will 100% ignore that text message until it starts beeping anyway as a backup.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

teenytinymouse posted:

You will 100% ignore that text message until it starts beeping anyway as a backup.

I feel like avoiding the chirps would be adequate motivation to replace the batteries when it texts you.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Someday a smoke detector might save my life but until then, gently caress them forever, and then gently caress them forever after that because they will ruin the rest of my life that they saved. They are awful.

Smoke detectors really make you consider the difference between being alive and living.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Baldbeard posted:

I've probably replaced the batteries on a smoke detector unit at least 20 times in my life. Only on one single occasion has it been outside the midnight-4am time window. It's infuriating. Especially because some units signal the other units in a house when one is low, so you have to stand there in your underwear at 2am in the morning and try to figure out which one is beeping 0.1second before the others.

Makes me SO glad I have a small apartment with like 2 smoke detectors (one by the kitchen/living room, one in the hall by the bedroom/bathroom). My folks have that whole "one chirps, all chirp" setup in their house and it loving sucks rear end. They usually have me change them because their ceilings are like 10' or something, and at least 3 of them are in lovely places by stairwells or otherwise not easy to reach. I feel worse for my older brother, he's got a couple rooms in his house with vaulted ceilings. Guess where the detectors are? Yep, almost the highest spot on the wall, where his tallest ladder (I think a 15-20 foot) just barely reaches it.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
ironically the one time my house actually did catch fire the smoke alarms never went off

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Being ignored. If you've played Fire Emblem Awakening, I'm loving Kellam. I often have to shout over others fifty times to get a word in edgeways in conversations I'm theoretically already a part of, I have multiple distinct memories of school in which I was the only student with my hand up and I still wasn't called upon, and even half of my posts here I swear get completely passed over, including posts where I directly ask a question. :mad: I wouldn't mind so much if it hadn't been happening my whole life for irritation at it to build up.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

AlphaKretin posted:

Being ignored. If you've played Fire Emblem Awakening, I'm loving Kellam. I often have to shout over others fifty times to get a word in edgeways in conversations I'm theoretically already a part of, I have multiple distinct memories of school in which I was the only student with my hand up and I still wasn't called upon, and even half of my posts here I swear get completely passed over, including posts where I directly ask a question. :mad: I wouldn't mind so much if it hadn't been happening my whole life for irritation at it to build up.

Maybe it's because you make fire emblem analogies.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Stoatbringer posted:

Mrs Stoatbringer does this.

:) I think we should paint the hall yellow, don't you?
:haw: Okay, I agree. I'll do that.
:) Because it hasn't been done for years and is looking a bit shabby, right?
:haw: Yes, I'll paint it.
:) And I think it would look really nice with a new coat of paint. So should we paint it?
:haw: Yes.
:) We've probably got some paint left, what do you reckon?
:haw: For the fourth time, yes!
:) There's no need to snap, I just wanted to know if you think we should paint the hall?
:haw: Argh! :shepicide:

Think Ive cracked it. Your wife doesn't want to paint the hall. She wants to talk to you.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

AlphaKretin posted:

How is a video game your only frame of reference for "being ignored"

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Come on guys it was supposed to be a humorous exaggeration about exactly how much I get ignored. Sorry for wanting to make my post more interesting than the first two words. :shrug: First thing my mind jumps to because, I don't know, this is a forum with lots of people that plays video games and I might have just come from a thread about one != only frame of reference.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

AlphaKretin posted:

I dressed as Donnel for Halloween, and I appreciated your analogy. Coincidence? :tinfoil:

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Dr Scoofles posted:

A few mini peeves.

Books that are released as hardbacks and no other format is available. I'll be reading the latest release reviews and go 'oh wow that book looks great' but it's only hardback. I loathe hardbacks with a passion because they are heavy and a pain to read when laying down. So I don't buy. In this day and age who the gently caress holds off on e books?

This a million times.
Who the gently caress buys hardbacks anyway??
I want a book to be portable, I want to be able to read it anywhere, carry it easy, ram it in a bag or drawer etc.

Why do I have to wait months to buy it in soft back???

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

AlphaKretin posted:

Come on guys it was supposed to be a humorous exaggeration about exactly how much I get ignored. Sorry for wanting to make my post more interesting than the first two words. :shrug: First thing my mind jumps to because, I don't know, this is a forum with lots of people that plays video games and I might have just come from a thread about one != only frame of reference.

Maybe people ignore you cause when you finally get attention you turn into a weenie.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
"Do you remember my name?" stuff. Like I met you at a party months ago/for 3 minutes/while meeting 30 other people, throw me a bone. I have garbage memory and my job involves talking to hundreds of people, and the fact you remember mine isn't super impressive.

I actually bring this up because someone handled this perfectly yesterday. I was answering the door at a friend's Halloween party and introduced myself to someone I met before. Instead of being being a jerk about it, she said "I'm Ann, I think we met before, at (place)?" which was graceful and appreciated.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Thin Privilege posted:

Bright lights. Mother. loving. Bright lights.

It's always on a one lane road, too.

I'm thinking of starting this: pulling over so they can get past and then pulling behind them and turning MY brights on.

I hate brights too, just about everywhere it's a mix of

- People with brights on, mid-day
- People with no lights on after dark
- Normal people who use lights correctly

I've often toyed with the idea of installing some kind of flip-up mirror in my back window, between the rear speakers. Flip a switch and blind the motherfucker behind you with his own lights.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Breath Ray posted:

She wants to talk to you.

Yes. About paint, and the application thereof. :)

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I hate when people don't close their parentheses. My mental narration as I read switches into a different tone of voice (sort of a this-is-an-aside delivery) when I'm reading parentheticals, and if there's never a close-paren it messes up my reading of the whole paragraph.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

This a million times.
Who the gently caress buys hardbacks anyway??
I want a book to be portable, I want to be able to read it anywhere, carry it easy, ram it in a bag or drawer etc.

Why do I have to wait months to buy it in soft back???

It's because of the way book profit/loss is calculated. At the moment (for some books and publishers) almost all production costs are calculated as part of the hardback as though it were the only edition. That makes paperback and even more so ebook releases seem wildly profitable and makes the accounts of publishers look healthy. I forget the exact details because tbh it's dull and won't make it less of a peeve, but I wrote my masters on this sort of thing. If it helps it's non-tenable so in 200 years maybe paperbacks will be released first.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Price matchers at the checkout line.

Every single grocery store should have one or two lines that are exclusively for price matchers. It's fine that some people want to save a few pennies on milk and produce, but when I get behind someone that has a two foot stack of ads from other stores and proceeds to price match every. single. item. in. their. cart. I just want to scream.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Grocery stores allow price matching? :gonk: I'm not trying to say my experience is universal, just that I'm grateful this is case, but in my experience only hardware stores and the like where things are generally more expensive and there's less foot traffic give such promises. Is it just part of the customer is always right poo poo or baked into (I'm assuming) US retail law?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

AlphaKretin posted:

Grocery stores allow price matching? :gonk: I'm not trying to say my experience is universal, just that I'm grateful this is case, but in my experience only hardware stores and the like where things are generally more expensive and there's less foot traffic give such promises. Is it just part of the customer is always right poo poo or baked into (I'm assuming) US retail law?

'The customer is always right' is not law. It's an old saying from Dale Carnegie about how to effectively run a business. Assholes customers drive it into the ground in the hopes of getting free merchandise or service.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Khazar-khum posted:

'The customer is always right' is not law. It's an old saying from Dale Carnegie about how to effectively run a business. Assholes customers drive it into the ground in the hopes of getting free merchandise or service.

I know it's not, that's why I was asking whether the issue was because of that or law.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

On-ramp meters and, more specifically, the people who can't seem to figure out how they work. The signs tell you what to do and they're rapid enough that it's real easy to accomplish a smooth zipper merge. But no matter what, they get utterly clogged and become the worst part of your commute.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Techno Remix posted:

On-ramp meters and, more specifically, the people who can't seem to figure out how they work. The signs tell you what to do and they're rapid enough that it's real easy to accomplish a smooth zipper merge. But no matter what, they get utterly clogged and become the worst part of your commute.

There was one on my previous commute that allowed two cars per green. The sign was teeny-tiny, and most only allowed one car per green, so despite efforts from those of us in the know and city planners who planned it that way, slack-jawed yokels would always go one per green. Then they would stare at those of us going two per as if we had offended them personally.

I'd blame the signage being too small, but these assholes could have had a goddamn billboard with "TWO CARS PER GREEN" on it and they'd have still stopped.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

:poland: :poland: :poland:
There's a number of on ramps here that are about one hundred feet from the off ramp, meaning the merge lane is incredibly tiny. Its frustrating that you only have a tiny window of opportunity to merge on to the highway and only if traffic is light enough to let you through. If nobody lets you through you either have to stop and wait (which of course there is absolutely no room for) or take the off ramp and find the next on ramp.

This isn't terrible, except for last week when a god drat limo driver not only wouldn't let me merge, but changed lanes to get off and basically used the length of the limo to almost run me into the wall. It might not have been intentional but it was a pretty lovely thing to have happen.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
On ramp meters that go past rush hour times, like 10:30 am when there's no traffic so it's totally useless. I just blow straight through them in that case.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

The Blue Pyramid posted:

There's a number of on ramps here that are about one hundred feet from the off ramp, meaning the merge lane is incredibly tiny. Its frustrating that you only have a tiny window of opportunity to merge on to the highway and only if traffic is light enough to let you through. If nobody lets you through you either have to stop and wait (which of course there is absolutely no room for) or take the off ramp and find the next on ramp.

This isn't terrible, except for last week when a god drat limo driver not only wouldn't let me merge, but changed lanes to get off and basically used the length of the limo to almost run me into the wall. It might not have been intentional but it was a pretty lovely thing to have happen.

We have a lot of town car and limo drivers where I live and work, and without fail they are always the ones clogging up the left lanes going 60, or just generally not going with the flow of traffic. They tend not to be totally useless--ie, they usually pay attention and tend not to get lost or be on their phones--but they just do NOT follow the flow of traffic. It's really disruptive and borderline dangerous. When they get really bad (like in your example) I have to wonder if they've got a passenger or if they only act like jerks when they're alone.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Here's one for today: people who call out "sick" on our busiest work day of the week. Five people are not at my job today and my boss is livid. Especially frustrating as we just had a meeting on Friday where everyone was told its the beginning of our holiday season and callouts are only OK if you're legit ill.

Yay extra work to cover for lazy assholes :mad:

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

The Blue Pyramid posted:

There are too many really tight cloverleaf on-ramps with very small merging lanes here in the cities, meaning that my little shitbox car sometimes barely makes it to highway speed. Rush hour it's not always bad because traffic is moving slow enough but under normal conditions I always feel like an rear end for merging at that "just barely the speed limit" pace.

The meters are also really arbitrary here. Sometimes they'll be on at 3:00, other times they'll still be off at 5:00 and no one really knows what to do. If there's no one on the ramp I'll usually just ignore it since it flips so fast.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

You Are A Elf posted:

Price matchers at the checkout line.

Every single grocery store should have one or two lines that are exclusively for price matchers. It's fine that some people want to save a few pennies on milk and produce, but when I get behind someone that has a two foot stack of ads from other stores and proceeds to price match every. single. item. in. their. cart. I just want to scream.

:siren:Walmart:siren: has a website where you upload your receipt # and they price match everything you bought and will give you a gift-card for the difference if there are lower prices in other nearby chains.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Websites like Wikipedia and YouTube that have separate URLs for their mobile layouts. You already have to automatically detect that the device is a phone to redirect them to that address, just make it a part of the main site like everyone else and stop making it a pain to share links from a phone. :mad:

E: VVV The situation that inspired the post just now was actually Wikipedia.

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 23:23 on Nov 2, 2015

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
if you actually use the "share" functionality built in to the site it will give a youtu.be shortened link that works on both devices

i assume the people who made it have a pet peeve of people not using it right

if we're editing posts now the way wikipedia does it actually is stupid and misread your post and i agree with you

arnbiguous has a new favorite as of 23:50 on Nov 2, 2015

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
The "share" functionality exists only to generate more site metrics and wall-in users and the standard link should always work no matter the device. That's my pet peeve.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

bucksmash posted:

Here's one for today: people who call out "sick" on our busiest work day of the week. Five people are not at my job today and my boss is livid. Especially frustrating as we just had a meeting on Friday where everyone was told its the beginning of our holiday season and callouts are only OK if you're legit ill.

Yay extra work to cover for lazy assholes :mad:

I feel your pain on this one, happened all the time at a couple call center jobs I had way back when. Assholes like that are the reason everyone else gets paranoid taking a sick day (or vacation) and why places can be super strict about doctors notes and proof of illness. Then again, if management had a backbone they could just write those 5 dickholes up, but I doubt it would help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Where I work used to be draconian about attendance. For example they fired a guy for "attendance issues" after he took a week or so off for being unfortunate enough to get sick and then break a bone in a way that required surgery immediately afterwards (of course they fired him and terminated his insurance before he went in for said surgery :toot:). New management took over and we actually had to have a staff meeting where they said it was okay and actually encouraged for people to stay the hell home when they're sick.

People who still come to work anyway while horribly ill and contagious despite being told to keep their germs at home can eat a bag of dicks. Your job is not so vitally important that the company will implode if you're not there for one day.