Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
You know, I could just shrug off the whole legendary weapons thing because at least it adds variety to enemies. But they've also coupled it with shiity higher health and damage resistance so gently caress it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

SunAndSpring posted:

You know, I could just shrug off the whole legendary weapons thing because at least it adds variety to enemies. But they've also coupled it with shiity higher health and damage resistance so gently caress it all.

Weird complaint.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Weird complaint.

Albino scorpion

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Weapon Sadistics is a new term and I'm officially adopting the word.

Kind of worried how borderlandsy those supposed legendary weapons will be, but I wonder how SURVIVAL difficulty works. Is it just straight EVERYONE CAN DIE, YOU NEED TO EAT ETC from New Vegas or is it just limited ammo and a lot of loving legendary beast spawns? Also worried if the settlements will be really demanding to maintain without high level perk stuff or the possible CHA perk where you can name someone a sub mayor of the town/city.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Legendary weapons, you know, weapons with names and unique abilities. You know, the ones from Fallout 3 and New Vegas.
They were probably forgotten since the ones in New Vegas are boring and add nothing but higher damage and you cannot even put mods on them.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
With the right mods you can mod them :haw:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm going to attribute "Legendary" weapons to a translation thing. The game will have unique named weapons taht are generally pretty good, like previous fallouts.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, more than likely it's a translation issue and they're just the uniques from the previous games. I suspect higher difficulties will work like Skyrim, so just added damage/health to NPCs to make them hit harder and take more punishment. I hope the Survival thing is actually cool and works like the survival mode from NV, at least.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

According to the info dump, I doubt that is the case unless they actually removed old-style unique weapons (which would make sense, what with the nonsense crafting system) as the weapons are described as "like a regular weapon, but with a little star next to the name".

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
20 bucks says Legendary Weapons and Enemies have no real distinction from their baseline asides from higher stats; a Legendary Raider looks and acts as a normal raider with the only distinction being that he has a better gun that looks no different from a regular gun and you'll need to shoot him for a week to kill him.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

According to the info dump, I doubt that is the case unless they actually removed old-style unique weapons (which would make sense, what with the nonsense crafting system) as the weapons are described as "like a regular weapon, but with a little star next to the name".

Skyrim had a difference between named (special effect or specific location), unique (only one with that appearance), and artifact(unique look and unique effect).

I feel like this is an extension of the foremost. Uniques are essentially whatever the player creates, and artifacts are probably still around since both FO3 and FONV are kind of defined by them. The only reason to explore every building is because one of them might have that rad item or interesting journal entry.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

SunAndSpring posted:

20 bucks says Legendary Weapons and Enemies have no real distinction from their baseline asides from higher stats; a Legendary Raider looks and acts as a normal raider with the only distinction being that he has a better gun that looks no different from a regular gun and you'll need to shoot him for a week to kill him.

What about poo poo like those Legendary Deathclaw or giant bloatfly from New Vegas? They could also be special/supersized models.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Bholder posted:

Legendary weapons, you know, weapons with names and unique abilities. You know, the ones from Fallout 3 and New Vegas.
They were probably forgotten since the ones in New Vegas are boring and add nothing but higher damage and you cannot even put mods on them.

You single out the ones from NV as boring? The ones that actually had unique models and skins?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

How much do you want to bet the legendary enemies are actually called "Legendary ______"

No backstory, nothing special, just legendary as a prefix and bonus stats

don't take this bet

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

At base I actually kind of like the idea. As long as the spawn rate is low enough that it's a fairly rare event, say one out of every ten groups, it'd be a nice way to spice things up especially if they're relatively difficult to distinguish from regular Raiders. And as far as the "Legendary" weapons go, I would actually prefer that they just be a better version of a basic weapon with no special perks added. If that's the case I won't feel like I have to go out and hunt down enemies until I get that lucky drop of the Ham Fistor, which is the best Unarmed weapon in the game because it has a special trait that make it crit for 10x damage. It'll just be a nice bonus if it happens to drop a better version of a gun I like.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

If they are just normal weapons with bonus stats then every time you use a normal weapon instead of a legendary then you are being suboptimal. As opposed to unique weapons where there may be a tradeoff to using them where standard weapons are still desirable. YOU MUST PLAY IN THE MOST EFFICIENT MANNER.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Mortimer posted:

How much do you want to bet the legendary enemies are actually called "Legendary ______"

No backstory, nothing special, just legendary as a prefix and bonus stats

don't take this bet

Literally every RPG does this so if you don't like it don't pretend Bethesda created the idea.

One thing I noticed from the E3 video is that it seems there are no restrictions on mods other than your perk rank. If that's true, you could stick some ridiculous mods on weapons that make no sense, like a laser shotgun with a sniper scope. On the reputation thing, Skyrim had a hidden reputation for NPCs, they didn't really use it for anything other than determining if a dead NPC would send you inheritance. The mercs coming after you for stealing was a single time scripted event, although strangely it was not always the owner of the item you stole that sent the mercs after you. You could steal something in Riverrun and one of the kids could put a hit out on you even though they don't own any objects. I never bothered with the editor so I don't know how it worked.

Edit: Update from the dude talking about the game. https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/3r1nzg/spoiler_this_time_info_xpost_from_rf04/

quote:

UPDATE!
The fight, as I say, is far better. It has small imperfections like that I find exceedingly difficult scoring with small enemies (mole rats, poisonous flies, etc.) that seem to impact the box too small. Leaving that aside, it is a joy. For me, the best of the game. base Armas time I seen some 12-15 but modifications crazy. Each gun can easily have 25 to 30 pieces that alter your stats and one 10 mm gun. You may end up being radically different in all respects to another. What the game is specified that "slows healing." Will zones. The areas of "open field" are brown and roll Fallout 3, there are other radiation that are shades of green and others. Yes surprised me greatly to see the main city, next to Megaton, has colorful lot (hey, do not talk about colors to Viva Piñata, just what you see in any game realist). I greatly appreciate the variety and I think a tremendous step forward.
24 hours (yes, I've been playing a tad now) and just found a 10mm pistol (the first gun that you see in the game) that looked and played like any other weapon of the game. I could not have created it because there are changes restricted to the level corresponding to the crafting of weapons (there are 4 levels) Perk and I have none. The progression and variety is crazy about. Of course, I do not like how it is implemented in the inventory. Example: If a gun is an improvement on the barrel and the stock, inventory listed as "[kickback Culata] [Long Canyon powerful] 10 mm gun." and when the screen Pip-Boy so small makes all weapons or pieces modified armor are cut, do not see your name and you have to give to R3 to see what specifically. Also, you can find 18 guns they leave very little in statistics but very different in name and aesthetic can roll over and lose time more than one account. It costs a little catch him point to the new system but little by little easier seeing what it's worth and what not.
Answer to: Have you seen many bugs?
The "typical" bugs no, no. Yes it happened to me that I had to swallow 2 or 3 times the same dialog or dialog options that put simply "Show?" and it had nothing to do with what he said (which lacked a system that I like very little). Little thing more.
UPDATE 2!
His answer to, Is the movement fluid?
The movement, jumping and others is much more comfortable, yes. And the VATS is not essential. I think they have found a perfect point where FPS lovers can pull in that way and F3 and such by VATS. I use it because I love it but I think it is very viable to play without him but, of course, is something that makes things and, yes, at high levels see it very helpful. There is little to do but I will say that I love animations and sounds reload all weapons, much more elaborate and currados that F3.
His answer to questions about the perks, hacking and picking locks
A marvel. I do not miss in all the F3: this is much more comprehensive, deep and have constant feeling of improvement and change. You can overwhelm a bit and requires some planning but it seems a step forward in the making. Great. No. Both they go by levels (Basic, advanced, expert and master) and some can from the start but others need perks. That is, to access the expertise you need four points in that perk that, in turn, requires 3 or 4 intelligence. It's a shame but you can not access them without perks. Yes. There are many small houses that do not require any large cargo but the building itself. Loads from buildings are not too heavy but quick trip themselves are a bit heavier.
His answer to a question about the armour system, power armour, weapons, etc.
For now, as with weapons, I have not seen a huge variety but having so much differentiate modification. Of course, by the time I seem all very feuchas (as in F3, really). The system is not bad but can do something cumbersome and I think the moment of truth, does not contribute enough to justify that "additional complexity". Also, what I said above about the names of the modified weapons also applies here and see at a glance what each thing is impossible. In addition, there are pieces that are above chest but can get a boost and do not allow others to have that reinforcement and not specified anywhere, is much more cumbersome than it should. And the power armor seems very cool as functionality but I loved her as usual armor F3. Here are special suits that are used as a vehicle: you find them, you get in and you can use it but when you want to switch or leave salts thereof and leave at that particular site. It gives more power armor package to because it is more powerful and "unique" but remains waaaaay comfort.
UPDATE 3!
His answer to a request of an in depth description of the settlement system:
They are an important pillar of the game. And this can charm many and greatly annoy others. To me, I love this kind of issues "micromanagement" in RPGs or adventure (Monterrigioni villa in AC II, for example) seems a tad more cumbersome and "deep" account. Mind you, I think phenomenal that many options are given but many missions and goals pass around subtracted weight to what I care of a one and RPG Fallout. On the operation: there are an awful lot of areas around the world that have a red table workshop, both occupied and free. Once you access the workshop (if you are occupied by good people, you have to make a typical mission to help with any problems) you can do what you saw in the demo: demolish everything you get it and build. I finished not convince you, in the completeness of the method, can remove houses and everything in a second and get a lot of materials. Leaving that aside, you have to keep many or few humans have with food, water, energy and beds. And it is not bad because a good defensive structure, still, some times you get so typical and cumbersome message "are attacking X" and you have to go take a cable (not mandatory). I say, it is very complete and if you find an area you like you can spend hours and hours to leave "cute" and take there your base, people and others but I think it is not implemented in the best way and perhaps exploited too . Any more specific question, I am here

Yaos fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 1, 2015

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Decided to play some New Vegas, made a new character, killed one Cazador and snuck past the rest, with a stealthboy while avoiding a bandit camp a fully grown deathclaw spawned within 20 feet of me. After loading my game due to an inexplicable decapitation I continued north and shortly found that my guns only fired in vats but would expend ammo and alert enemies while firing no energy blasts whatsoever. Eventually got into vegas and used my last stealthboy to remove the van graff's entire inventory, good times.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
So you do need to upgrade the lockpicking/hacking/etc perks to get at the master locks. Had a feeling they would do that if every perk has ranks.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

reddit guy posted:

Minigames for unlocking doors and terminals are exactly the same as in Fallout 3.

:barf:

Welp, I guess I'm skipping out on this game, because gently caress that poo poo.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

:barf:

Welp, I guess I'm skipping out on this game, because gently caress that poo poo.

Normal people like it. I'm sure you would prefer lockpicking from Assassin's Creed where you just hold down the use button.

In case anybody missed it, the dude leaking info said he only ran into some dialogue bugs but nothing else.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
9 more days of bullshit.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Somebody pointed out that the player character is standing in water and not getting any rads, indicating Project Purity helped out Boston as well.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I wonder if "Survival" is like Hardcore mode in New Vegas, as in, will add the need for eating, drinking and sleeping. There's been mods I think even reaching back to Morrowind which added this, but it was always kinda badly balanced if the world wasn't really designed for it. Well probably not. Apparently though you have to supply people in the settlements with food and water?

I love how the power armors are basically handled like walking tanks and not like another piece of armor, that's pretty much what I always imagined them to be like since FO1, but well that's not exactly news - you could see bits of that in that E3 video. Reminds me of that mod for New Vegas which added a lot of technical depth and upgrades to the power armors, even though that mod kinda didn't blend in well with the game.

This weird focus on settlements is kinda strange, if they'd asked me how FO4 will look like after FO3, that's like, the last thing I would've put on that particular list. Seems like they looked at the most popular mods for their other games - player managed settlements were always quite far up on top on that list.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yaos posted:

Normal people like it. I'm sure you would prefer lockpicking from Assassin's Creed where you just hold down the use button.

No, I would prefer a variety of minigames that are fun rather than tedious. Perhaps with skill rewarding elements such as opening a locked container on first try giving a chance to result in more loot.

Note that "minigame" contains the word "game", and games are supposed to be fun. Did you find lock picking fun in FO3/Vegas/Skyrim?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

No, I would prefer a variety of minigames that are fun rather than tedious. Perhaps with skill rewarding elements such as opening a locked container on first try giving a chance to result in more loot.

Note that "minigame" contains the word "game", and games are supposed to be fun. Did you find lock picking fun in FO3/Vegas/Skyrim?

Lockpicking 'games' are never fun

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

enraged_camel posted:

It wasn't, but it's functional and makes sense.

The hacking minigame I got used to it and I kinda liked it actually

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

Yes.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bholder posted:

They were probably forgotten since the ones in New Vegas are boring and add nothing but higher damage and you cannot even put mods on them. :downs:
Like the ones in Fallout 3. Except those didn't even have unique skins.

Rinkles posted:

You single out the ones from NV as boring? The ones that actually had unique models and skins?
The concept of "leveled merchants" that don't give him .50 caliber ammo at level 1 and ammo-rich faction merchants is alien to bholder, much like anything resembling balanced game design.

Yaos posted:

Somebody pointed out that the player character is standing in water and not getting any rads, indicating Project Purity helped out Boston as well.
The entirety of fallout 3 must have happened in the space of a month then, which is pretty funny.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Nov 1, 2015

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

It's good to already see that the story will be a complete waste of time

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I'm not really sure what a better lockpicking game looks like? I mean, I only really have the worse one from Oblivion to compare it to, though. I actually kinda like the word-puzzle hacking minigame though v:shobon:v

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The entirety of fallout 3 must have happened in the space of a month then, which is pretty funny.

Doesn't this game take place after FNV, which was a few years after F3 anyway? Something about Bethesda's ban on prequels.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 1, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I guess a more obtuse system from the early Splinter Cell games? I mean the Oblivion style lockpicking is old as poo poo, but it's probably better to keep it simple and stupid at that point than try something different and probably only make it worse.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The Fallout 3/New Vegas lockpicking game is real good though. It feels really fluid and when you get the feel for how it works you can do them hella quick and feel like a pro. Hacking is kinda cool but it takes a while if you are unlucky.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Lock picking doesn't need to be any more "fun" unless you mean trying to decide what magnitude of explosive to place on a container to breach it without destroying the contents.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

this looks like mafia, or like deadly promonition

drat ... just drat. I know it will be diff on the PC but this is unacceptable bethesda :(

maybe dynamic shadows is a perk on the console version :devil:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Inverness posted:

Lock picking doesn't need to be any more "fun" unless you mean trying to decide what magnitude of explosive to place on a container to breach it without destroying the contents.

Sorry but we've established that using explosives to open containers is bad game design.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Pwnstar posted:

Sorry but we've established that using explosives to open containers is bad game design.
Todd sees through your lies.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Wolfsheim posted:

Doesn't this game take place after FNV, which was a few years after F3 anyway? Something about Bethesda's ban on prequels.
They said specifically 200 years and not "after New Vegas" and the game starts on October, whereas Fallout 3 started in August. While the East Coast BOS would be the more interesting iteration to show in Boston (considering you can side against them), if they are there it means Daddy's Girl/Boy's adventures took the entirety of the span of a month, with about a couple weeks margin of error for the East Coast BOS to arrive in Boston, which either demonstrates their hyper competence or the incompetence of the Capital Wasteland's inhabitants (most likely the latter)

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 1, 2015

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So nobody spoiled the perk chart yet? How difficult it is, damnit?

I need to start planning my character in advance, I am obsessive about character creation - considering that skills are no more and you don't NEED 8+ intelligence, and most stats look to have solid perks all the way through, I can't really spot any "dump" stats besides maybe endurance (rad resistance, more hit points... who cares just stuff more drugs down your throat you pussy)

I think I want to get real involved with the new settlement thing (hoping it's not like in that Assassin's Creed where you had to run back every 5 minutes to defend your poo poo for zero reward) and weapon modding, so at least 4 strength + 6 Charisma + 6 Intelligence for the mod/settlement perks, and the rest 3

then improving agility/perception/luck with levelups to get combat ability up to speed will require at least 2-3 points each if not more so 6-9 levels unless bobbleheads are easy to find + getting the actual perks - my guess is that level 25-30 will be the sweet spot to get a truly complete character

I'm pretty sure I won't have time for multiple playthroughs so I don't want to overspecialize and miss tons of content because I can't pick locks / pass a speech check / can't mod stuff or build my settlement up

Luckily you can kind of skip damage buffs and combat perks, or just grab a couple and call it a day, because those just make the game easier but don't lock much content away.

HATE GATED CONTENT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scinon
Jul 23, 2006
Now with 2% more atoms!

Jury-rigged pip boy here I come!

• Locked thread