Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

Krispy Kareem posted:

Counterpoint.

Oh wait, you did say sane.

DING!

As for the NSX, that was a revolutionary car for Honda that put them in the upper echelons. It wasn't some POS tarted-up econobox, and that V6 was a twin-turbo 24-valve exclusive to the NSX, not some force-fed Accord engine.

I would say the "parts-bin sports car" concept could certainly apply to the Fiero, which was a conglomeration of corporate assets.

The_Raven has a new favorite as of 19:54 on Oct 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Sometimes when I want to torture myself I listen to AM radio. Most ads there are fairly inoffensive (buy gold, reverse mortgages, etc.) but these drat Feed The Pig ads are the most out of touch pieces of poo poo I've heard.

http://www.feedthepig.org/about-us/psas#.VjEcTyslkwc

They basically boil down to "Young people aren't saving money. It must be because of all the fancy vacations they're taking!" :fuckoff:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'd genuinely go for the opposite approach.

Previa_fun posted:

They basically boil down to "Young people aren't saving money. It must be because of all the fancy vacations they're taking!" :fuckoff:

It's because a lot of the people behind them know bougie/new money kids who are taking vacations and it colors their perception of what most young people are doing. Alternatively they're actually targeting those bougie/new money kids specifically because gently caress if poor people saving is going to benefit them at all.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mind the walrus posted:

I'd genuinely go for the opposite approach.

I remember watching this skit the first time a long long time ago.

I really miss all those great SNL commercials. Happy fun ball, etc.

A chameleon car would be a pretty cool gadget for a Bond film too. They had that one invisible car and that's a bit ridiculous, but a car that makes itself look like garbage? Totally plausible.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

A chameleon car would be a pretty cool gadget for a Bond film too. They had that one invisible car and that's a bit ridiculous, but a car that makes itself look like garbage? Totally plausible.

poo poo, my '94 Ford Ranger does this by itself and I'm not even a secret agent :colbert:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The_Raven posted:

DING!

As for the NSX, that was a revolutionary car for Honda that put them in the upper echelons. It wasn't some POS tarted-up econobox, and that V6 was a twin-turbo 24-valve exclusive to the NSX, not some force-fed Accord engine.

I would say the "parts-bin sports car" concept could certainly apply to the Fiero, which was a conglomeration of corporate assets.

I may have been joking. The engine was from an existing family, at least. Although it was completely re-engineered and possibly the first example of V-TEC (I don't give a poo poo about Honda, so I don't know).

The Scion FRS / Subaru BRZ was actually aiming for the entry-level sports car market. I'm not sure how it's been doing, but I've heard they're a hell of a lot of fun. It was a brand new engine, too. 200 HP out of a 4-cylinder without turbo is not bad at all.

22 Eargesplitten has a new favorite as of 20:52 on Oct 28, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I may have been joking. The engine was from an existing family, at least. Although it was completely re-engineered and possibly the first example of V-TEC (I don't give a poo poo about Honda, so I don't know).

The Scion FRS / Subaru BRZ was actually aiming for the entry-level sports car market. I'm not sure how it's been doing, but I've heard they're a hell of a lot of fun. It was a brand new engine, too. 200 HP out of a 4-cylinder without turbo is not bad at all.

I see a ton of those BRZs around, I didn't realize they were so cheap. Seems like a fun car.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The Chrysler 300 isn't cheap but drat if I don't see a lot of them made to look like Bentleys

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I just got a new iPhone and when I type, "come" auto-corrects to "Coke". Coke the gently caress on :v:, "come" is a really goddamn common word and pretending a brand name is moreso because they paid you :20bux:, in a way that interferes with my use of the phone, is a loving dick move that achieves nothing but making me resent both companies. I know I'll still wind up buying their poo poo :negative:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

The_Raven posted:

Uhhh no it wasn't - it was a fantastic engine when it came out but it was never turbocharged.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

AlphaKretin posted:

I just got a new iPhone and when I type, "come" auto-corrects to "Coke". Coke the gently caress on :v:, "come" is a really goddamn common word and pretending a brand name is moreso because they paid you :20bux:, in a way that interferes with my use of the phone, is a loving dick move that achieves nothing but making me resent both companies. I know I'll still wind up buying their poo poo :negative:

Doesn't that make it a successful move in marketing?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Doesn't that make it a successful move in marketing?

I'm assuming you referring to my last comment, that's despite, not because of the issue I mentioned.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

AlphaKretin posted:

Man, El Chapo getting bold with his marketing decisions.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

dissss posted:

Uhhh no it wasn't - it was a fantastic engine when it came out but it was never turbocharged.

Yeah, Honda don't really do turbos.
If you followed F1 this year you'd realise that. :v:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

That'll be fixed in the next iPhone version. Upgrade as soon as it's out.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

The Chrysler 300 isn't cheap but drat if I don't see a lot of them made to look like Bentleys

The car was created to look like a Bentley.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

dissss posted:

I stand corrected.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

A Rover P5 was the main influence, strangely enough.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Anti-smoking commercials have been trying really, really hard to appeal to the youth demographic lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4srWvLXZRw

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Ugh these Truth ads are soooo dumb, there's no way they're actually doing anything other than wasting cigarette company money :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Yeah but people put aftermarket grills, headlights, rims, etc. on them a lot

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sleeveless posted:

Ugh these Truth ads are soooo dumb, there's no way they're actually doing anything other than wasting cigarette company money :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Come on, did you actually watch the video that I linked or did you just assume that I'm being an rear end in a top hat?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Wanamingo posted:

Anti-smoking commercials have been trying really, really hard to appeal to the youth demographic lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4srWvLXZRw

Reddit: The Movie

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Sleeveless posted:

Huh, what's up with that mid-'90's spike?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Friends. Chandler bing made smoking cool again

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Wanamingo posted:

Come on, did you actually watch the video that I linked or did you just assume that I'm being an rear end in a top hat?

He's been on an inflammation spree lately.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

catlord posted:

Huh, what's up with that mid-'90's spike?

90s 'tudes. Too busy being cool and extreme to care about health.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zaphod42 posted:

90s 'tudes. Too busy being cool and extreme to care about health.

Didn't DARE have some kind of weird opposite effect when it came to drug consumption?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The White Dragon posted:

Didn't DARE have some kind of weird opposite effect when it came to drug consumption?

All it did was make drat sure kids had heard of drugs and make it very clear that this is something you rebellious teenagers who have been proven to be more likely to do something they're told not to shouldn't do.

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 09:51 on Nov 1, 2015

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

My favorite memory of "anti-drug" stuff in school was in seventh or eighth grade when they held an assembly in which a cop told us (among other things) that listening to music while you're high on weed is the most loving amazing experience you will ever have, but, uh, that's not a good enough reason to do it or anything.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

AlphaKretin posted:

All it did was make drat sure kids had hear of drugs and make it very clear that this is something you rebellious teenagers who have been proven to be more likely to do something they're told not to shouldn't do.

And teaching kids exactly what to expect when they inevitably try said drugs.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The White Dragon posted:

DARE talked about peer pressure a lot and managed to make it sound like literally everybody but you, yes you, personally were doing drugs and you shouldn't give in when they inevitably pressure you to try some things. They managed to make it sound like drugs were so incredibly popular and everybody just did nothing but drugs at every party ever.

Instead of steeling their resolve and denying drugs a lot of kids just gave in the instant they were offered because gently caress, if everybody else is doing drugs I might as well too. The other snag was that they also grossly exaggerated the bad effects of drugs and made it sound like you'd painfully die slowly then explode if you so much as looked at a joint. So everybody tried drugs, nobody exploded, and everybody went "drugs aren't so bad, I guess."

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

What do "religious" schools/private schools do for DARE programs?

I can only imagine its like the homeschooled girls textbook that's in gbs...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740333&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

stringball posted:

What do "religious" schools/private schools do for DARE programs?

I can only imagine its like the homeschooled girls textbook that's in gbs...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740333&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Trust me - we had the same DARE crap everyone else did. Assemblies in 6th-8th grade and again all throughout high school - bring in the dog and the hard-rear end looking cop, bring in some recovering addicts to tell you how their lives fell apart, and bring the suitcase to show you what all of that poo poo looked like. Follow up by being threatening about jail time and dropping out of school and living on the streets, and make everyone recite a pledge.

Don't forget the most important part - every single time you go anywhere social, you will be pressured into using multiple drugs by multiple people using multiple tactics. You have to train yourself to say no from every angle!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
For the longest while I never knew what DARE was because the schools in my local area just ignored it completely in favor of an anti-molestation thing they did for ages. It had a puppet mascot and everything, and we'd have to do weird flash card exercises where the teacher would tell a story about some dumb kid who got molested by his neighbor because he wanted to pet the dude's imaginary puppies and we would have to point out what that kid did wrong. They basically taught us, from the ripe age of five or six, that every adult we meet would want to rape us. It was really awkward to have a hand puppet tell us people wanted to rape us, then have to explain what rape was because we were kids and didn't know poo poo.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
DARE also crossed over into Australia - given "drugs" also included alcohol. Alcohol is so ingrained into the Australian mindset that you are a complete wuss if you didn't sneak off into the bushes with a smuggled out six-pack before you were 15 to awkwardly sample beer.

In the few cases where I've seen DARE work it creates people who have a paranoid revulsion to anything drug or alcohol related which would make a hardened rechabite look at you as if you were mad.
I knew someone who just went on and on about how alcohol is a poison and that a casual beer would lead immediately into binge drinking and everything you saw on the ads. Also the idea that weed would immediately invoke a schizophrenic reaction.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

I just remember that our dare division that was ran by the sheriff had a really really cool tricked out bigass Hummer that a high up drug dude owned and the moral was your cool Hummer will be stolen from the police if you deal drugs

This was Arizona by the way, and it was a cool Hummer too though

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I think a huge problem with DARE is how early they give their little presentations. They presented to my classroom when I was like 8, and then I didn't get offered any drugs until like ten years later (at which point I said yes :420: ). When I was 8, I had barely even heard of most drugs.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't remember much drug talk. Our school was all about HIV over and over and meeting people with HIV every year for like 7 years. When I was in 6th grade I assumed every girl had AIDS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Learning about STI's at the dawn of the internet made for some :stonk: viewing of diseased genitals filtered through 8/16bit gifs and kinda kept you wary of sticking your dick into everything.