Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Tahirovic posted:

Their MM sucks and the high tier playerbase is simply too small because this game is a boring, grindy mess. Does anyone here actually enjoy tier7+ ?
Only because I'm playing fully upgraded Iowa :unsmith: But I haven't played for about a week because game got boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Aesis posted:

Only because I'm playing fully upgraded Iowa :unsmith: But I haven't played for about a week because game got boring.

Know the Iowa, love the Iowa

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Tahirovic posted:

Their MM sucks and the high tier playerbase is simply too small because this game is a boring, grindy mess. Does anyone here actually enjoy tier7+ ?

My only tier 7 and 8 games are with the Atlanta and Tirpitz, respectively, but I find them enjoyable. WOWs isn't something I'll play for hours, but it's enjoyable, but I really like ships, so there's that. My only real gripe is the credit grind in higher tiers. Like someone else said, I can put up with the XP grind, but the Tier 7-10 ships' credit requirements are ridiculous.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Yeah, you gotta play with premium account and ships to get enough credit for Tier 8+. When I got my Iowa I sold NC, but was still lacking credit for upgrades and 1 module so I had to sell NO as well. And this was even when I was playing Tirpitz occasionally.

And then there's huge spike in repair bill. NC was about 110k credit for full repair but Iowa is about 160k. Doing average is a guaranteed deficit if you die :v: Even if you do well, if you're using 'gold' consumables (22.5k credit each) then you could still end up with deficit if you die. Basically you're expected to gain 205k credit per game to break even if you ever happen to die with 2 gold consumables (Damage Control + Repair). This is why at Tier 9+ games nobody wants to die and so everyone (apart from CV) plays even more passively.

I heard Tier 10 repair bill is the worst though, about 250~300k credit for death.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Zao is about 240k to full repair after sinking if you use the repair cost flag (I always use the repair cost flag). With premium account it's not TOO bad. I haven't played it recently since I've got other games and don't play enough to justify a premium account right now.

Also today I citadeled a Wyoming with my Köningsberg somehow.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

wdarkk posted:

Also today I citadeled a Wyoming with my Köningsberg somehow.

Was it far enough away that your shot hit the deck? The Wyoming has crappy deck armor.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

El Disco posted:

Was it far enough away that your shot hit the deck? The Wyoming has crappy deck armor.

I think it might have been the conning tower, I was aiming at the superstructure and was about 7km from it.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Tahirovic posted:

Leveling the Iowa was a lot of fun. But once I got t8 in the US and IJN cruiser line I lost the will to play because of the credit grind. Now I just pop on every couple of days and play a few rounds and log off. If they had brought in any new BB line I probably would have stuck around, or if they hadnt made the Tirpitz so drat expensive. I would have bought one for $20-30 mayyyybe 40 but 60-70 was way to high for a virtual boat.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 31, 2015

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

DurosKlav posted:

Leveling the Iowa was a lot of fun. But once I got t8 in the US and IJN cruiser line I lost the will to play because of the credit grind. Now I just pop on every couple of days and play a few rounds and log off. If they had brought in any new BB line I probably would have stuck around, or if they hadnt made the Tirpitz so drat expensive. I would have bought one for $20-30 mayyyybe 40 but 60-70 was way to high for a virtual boat.

Im pretty drat cheap but yeah at $25 or so I would have been really tempted to get a Tirpitz if only to get a German captain trained up. But hey, even at what I consider a ridiculous price point they obviously sold an assload of them.

I know the average player isnt all that good, and the Cleveland is used as a crutch but holy hell why are Destroyers so willing to charge right at one? Just had a game where I killed all four DDs on the other team (and then their New Mexico and carrier) on my way to an easy Confederate badge. If they do end up nerfing AFT and let us re-spec, I think there will be a new wave of bitching when people start to take Demo Expert on that thing and cause 10+ fires every match.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Lakedaimon posted:

Im pretty drat cheap but yeah at $25 or so I would have been really tempted to get a Tirpitz if only to get a German captain trained up. But hey, even at what I consider a ridiculous price point they obviously sold an assload of them.

Ya I dont fault anyone for buying one. Its just well out of what I personally would be willing to pay for an ingame item, especially as even then my interest in playing was starting to wane.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Ibuki purchased. Fitting this thing out was not cheap urgh. At least with 19.2km range it won't be as bad as I feared - I didnt know about the range increase module originally.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Lakedaimon posted:

Ibuki purchased. Fitting this thing out was not cheap urgh. At least with 19.2km range it won't be as bad as I feared - I didnt know about the range increase module originally.

Its not an option for IJN CAs until T9, I believe. IIRC the only ships with access to it early are the US BBs, at T5, but in return, US BBs don't get access to the accuracy increasing mod till T9.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I wish it was as cheap as the type 1 version the US BB's can get ouch!

The Yorck must be tough to get through. First time I had one in my sights 5x Citadels and I dropped him like 1st hour French.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Hazdoc posted:

Its not an option for IJN CAs until T9, I believe. IIRC the only ships with access to it early are the US BBs, at T5, but in return, US BBs don't get access to the accuracy increasing mod till T9.

The Arkansas gets access to the accuracy mod, in case you feel like dropping 3M on that thing.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

El Disco posted:

The Arkansas gets access to the accuracy mod, in case you feel like dropping 3M on that thing.

Oh yeah, Arkansas Beta is unique in that is has access to all of the mods a T9-10 ship can get, including reload speed and concealment. Whether you actually want to drop a mint on it is up to the player, though.

I don't have an Iwaki Alpha, but it would be interesting to know if it gets the same treatment.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Haven't played since march. JP still the best for DD? How do the countries fare for the rest of the ships?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Zotix posted:

Haven't played since march. JP still the best for DD? How do the countries fare for the rest of the ships?

Japanese everything except carriers is pretty good. The carriers are OK at mid tiers. Also the German cruisers are massive glass cannons right now. I'm not sure if them fixing how high they ride in the water will help much.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So JP cruisers are in a pretty solid place? Last I played I was basically JP BB and US Cr lines. Looking to mix things up this go.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Zotix posted:

So JP cruisers are in a pretty solid place? Last I played I was basically JP BB and US Cr lines. Looking to mix things up this go.

The Tenryuu is meh (heavily outclassed by the St. Louis, good anti-DD), the Kuma is GOD INCARNATE (I am biased), the Furutaka has been buffed and isn't quite as bad as it used to be, but still pales to the Omaha. The Aoba is a fairly good ship, but outclassed by the very problematic Cleveland, the Myoko is an excellent ship and dunks all over the Pensacola, and the Mogami is good enough to be a rather problematic ship. The Ibuki is... not that great, but still arguably better than the US T9. The Zao has the fastest torpedoes in the game, and is a fairly good ship. Not the DPS monster of the Des Moines, but its fairly sturdy and has better ballistics, and you'll scare any BB in torpedo range shitless with the possibility of 76 knot torps screaming at them.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Zotix posted:

Yeah, I feel like they're the best-balanced line (outside the Mogami, which makes the Cleveland and Atlanta jealous).

EDIT: Hazdoc scooped me but I'll also point out the Zao is AMAZINGLY tough for a cruiser. I've gotten about as many dreadnought medals from it as I have all battleships combined.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Hazdoc posted:

I don't have an Iwaki Alpha, but it would be interesting to know if it gets the same treatment.

It does not, but it gets more slots than a normal tier 4.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

DurosKlav posted:

Leveling the Iowa was a lot of fun. But once I got t8 in the US and IJN cruiser line I lost the will to play because of the credit grind.

I think a lot of us did that, I stopped at North Carolina and Ibuki.
The annyoing carriers (seems to be fixed), "sniper meta" and massive credit grind got the best of me.

And since I don't play enough to justify buying premium anymore, I can't play those high tier ships.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I think I'm starting to hate the Nagato even more than the Colorado. I didnt think it was possible for that to happen. I'm guessing their gunners and the Colorado had a prewar exchange program going on because its just as bad at hitting poo poo at the Colorado.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 31, 2015

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

DurosKlav posted:

I think I'm starting to hate the Nagato even more than the Colorado. I didnt think it was possible for that to happen. I'm guessing their gunners and the Colorado had a prewar exchange program going on because its just as bad at hitting poo poo at the Colorado.

You got the hull upgrade? It gets better with the hull upgrade, the shells pen more easily (I think, it sure feels like that).

PUT ON SECONDARY BOOSTING MODS AND WADE INTO BATTLE

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Hazdoc posted:

You got the hull upgrade? It gets better with the hull upgrade, the shells pen more easily (I think, it sure feels like that).

PUT ON SECONDARY BOOSTING MODS AND WADE INTO BATTLE

Ya I got all that. I admit when it does hit, it hits like a freight train its just a lot of those times those shells are flying into the next state.

Of course right after I post that I have a great game in the Nagato. I got a double strike from knocking a Colorado down to a few hundred health under 3km and then blowing him away with secondaries as I dunked an Aoba. Plus right before that my secondaries detonated a destroyer. I had 4 kills and 3 were from the secondaries finishing people off.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Somehow I got a citadel hit on an Arkansas with my Karlsruhe. I didnt see where the shot hit but it was like a miracle. The other miracle is im like halfway to the Konigsberg and still sane.

Ibuki not treating me very well so far 0-5 so far.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Lakedaimon posted:

Somehow I got a citadel hit on an Arkansas with my Karlsruhe. I didnt see where the shot hit but it was like a miracle. The other miracle is im like halfway to the Konigsberg and still sane.

Ibuki not treating me very well so far 0-5 so far.
Ibuki isn't a bad ship, it just feels like a Myoko with 20% better numbers across the board. I actually prefer it in a tier 10 game rather than the tier 8 games I keep getting because it just doesn't carry well against North Carolinas and Tirpitzs.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

cheese posted:

Ibuki isn't a bad ship, it just feels like a Myoko with 20% better numbers across the board. I actually prefer it in a tier 10 game rather than the tier 8 games I keep getting because it just doesn't carry well against North Carolinas and Tirpitzs.

0-6 now, but at least in that game I got a Confederate and did like 130k so it wasnt my fault we blew it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Lakedaimon posted:

0-6 now, but at least in that game I got a Confederate and did like 130k so it wasnt my fault we blew it.

My Ibuki had a 42% win rate (although that was back before carrier balance was a thing). I also had about 20k less average damage than my Mogami.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
I like the....Colorado? :stare:

so far it feels like a New Mexico with a 19km range... which isn't a bad thing?

Tell me again why I should I hate it? :v:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Kerrow posted:

I like the....Colorado? :stare:

so far it feels like a New Mexico with a 19km range... which isn't a bad thing?

Tell me again why I should I hate it? :v:
Slow as gently caress, inaccurate guns compounded by going from 12->8 main guns.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

cheese posted:

Slow as gently caress, inaccurate guns compounded by going from 12->8 main guns.

At least the AA on the third hull upgrade isn't bad.

So in the Karlsruhe, I only got two citadel hits ever, both against carriers when specifically shooting at their engines. First game in the Konigsburg, 3 citadels. I would have gotten more if I hadn't spent most of that game blowing up destroyers. It sure feels nice having AP that can penetrate ships with more than 12mm of armor.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

DurosKlav posted:

I know the feeling. Both the Nagato and the Colorado fall into a real lovely place in the battleship meta. If you end up as top tier in a tier 5/6 game you're going to have a good romp, nothing is armoured enough to stop your 16" shells. But if you get up-tiered to a tier 8/9 game you're so hosed its not eve funny. You're slow, too lightly armed, and not armoured enough to stand up to the the tier 8/9 guns. Only 25k more to go!

Orgytron
Aug 11, 2007
That being the case, is there a reason why someone wouldn't just do only ranked battles in the colorado? The worst you're going to come up against are other colorados that way.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

El Disco posted:

At least the AA on the third hull upgrade isn't bad.

So in the Karlsruhe, I only got two citadel hits ever, both against carriers when specifically shooting at their engines. First game in the Konigsburg, 3 citadels. I would have gotten more if I hadn't spent most of that game blowing up destroyers. It sure feels nice having AP that can penetrate ships with more than 12mm of armor.

On the other hand, tinfoil armor - I've had a 140mm secondary Detonate a Konigsburg. Both me and the captain of it were rather surprised, before wry jokes were cracked. At least, I hope it was one of the 140s rather than a 127...

Admittedly, this may not be a problem limited to the Konigsburg in the German line.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
EU is selling the Imperator Nikolai I, a t4 Russian BB. Can anyone tell me about it?

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

:frogsiren: FREE STUFF ALERT

hi goons - there's an alienware promo going on for NA duders at

https://na.alienwarearena.com/giveaways/world-of-warships-bonus-code-invite-code-key-giveaway

500k credits, 3 days of premium and an aurora - if you already have the aurora it gives you 3.3m credits instead. :)

edit: i might be wrong but I think you get the port slot too even if your boat gets liquidated

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Nov 1, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

All out! There are no more keys left in this giveaway! :(

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Just got one, they added more.

Tried to get two different codes, seems to only let you apply one... so happy November.
WRTW5-2BR4H-PMN4A-VBVC3

jownzy fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Nov 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psy.Che
Feb 23, 2011
With all that talk about the Mogamin being overpowered - I suck really hard at it. I'm not particularly good at this game and I'm sitting at 50% winrate, but I appear to be extremely bad at playing the Mogami with 25% winrate across 60ish games. Help please!