Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'll add another vote for condiments. Sriracha is an easy one, though a little set with multiple sauces would be a really pro move. Variety is nice. And air fresheners are always great, especially if you've been dumping hot sauce on everything you eat.

Depending on the size of the box and how tight you can pack it, a memory foam mattress pad is an amazing quality of life improvement if he doesn't have one. I never went all out with rack mods, but a foam pad is one that I'm always going to bring with me.

I Amazon Primed myself a 1/2 inch thick memory foam pad. Best investment ever. Only downside was if I tried to roll over without paying attention my shoulders would hit the rack above.

Still worth it. Just make sure its a really skinny foam pad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
I finally managed to snag a top rack and boy is it an improvement. No more stuffing my excess possessions into the coffin and struggling to close it! Also I now have a desk and a my cube has its own outlet (also it's own cable hookup for some reason) located on the bulkhead instead of the pway.

Basically anyone telling you to not get a top rack is probably just trying to get it themselves.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

CMD598 posted:

Basically anyone telling you to not get a top rack is probably just trying to get it themselves.

The only reason not to is if you're working night check and want to actually sleep. Also didn't realize carrier berthing didn't have fans/vents. Gator Navy: 1, Carrier Navy: Infinity

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I think the Ford is supposed to be the first carrier that has gator navy improvements like rack fans and poo poo.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

orange juche posted:

I think the Ford is supposed to be the first carrier that has gator navy improvements like rack fans and poo poo.

Half the racks do half the racks don't, all will by psa (lord knows thanks to testing poo poo broke in new and innovative ways)

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
By the time Ford is fully operational I expect berthings to look exactly the same, as in I expect zero improvements.

In other news there were apparently too many AMs signed up in 2013, so anybody know how life as an IT is?

DuoGodOfDeath
Feb 20, 2007

CMD598 posted:

so anybody know how life as an IT is?

No alcohol allowed in the barracks so pretty awful at times.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

So ... I have a retired master chief of the old radioman rating at my church. He takes a lot of pride in his service without being moto.

So my question is what do you call a retired master chief? Plain Chief seems kinda lame. He's a really nice old guy so nothing insulting.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LingcodKilla posted:

So ... I have a retired master chief of the old radioman rating at my church. He takes a lot of pride in his service without being moto.

So my question is what do you call a retired master chief? Plain Chief seems kinda lame. He's a really nice old guy so nothing insulting.

You call him gary or whatever his name is. If you want to call him master chief, call him master chief.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Alternatively, Moses.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LingcodKilla posted:

"hey dickbag" will most likely work

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Boon posted:

Alternatively, Moses.

Is that an actual thing? I've never talked to a MC at work in anything less than a 100% formal manner. Only Seniors who we call of course "Senior".

He's been a really neat story teller about the ancient radio systems that's still the basis of what they are teaching about in A school NKO classes.

ded posted:

"hey dickbag" will most likely work

Since he's my family's deacon I guess Deacon Dickbag would be good.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 1, 2015

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LingcodKilla posted:

Is that an actual thing? I've never talked to a MC at work in anything less than a 100% formal manner. Only Seniors who we call of course "Senior".

He's been a really neat story teller about the ancient radio systems that's still the basis of what they are teaching about in A school NKO classes.

The appeal of interacting with a retired anything will continue to diminish until it flattens out at some value less than zero

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

The appeal of interacting with a retired anything will continue to diminish until it flattens out at some value less than zero

This is gonna sound crazy but talking to your elders can make them really happy. The dudes in his 70s.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

LingcodKilla posted:

Is that an actual thing?

Depends how well you get to know him

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Just call him by his name dude, he's retired. Don't be weird you dope.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Holy crap guys. Not everyone is bitter about their career! He greets me from across the church as "Boot!" And asks me how my terrible reserve career is going. He retired in the 80s and genuinely likes to chat my ear off about inconsequential interesting stuff.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Obviously they didn't Navy right as they aren't bitter, constantly drunk and also already dead due to the service

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

Obviously they didn't Navy right as they aren't bitter, constantly drunk and also already dead due to the service

True,true. Honestly the 60s 70s and early 80s sounded terrible especially with the lack of easy (comparative) communication home.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Weight that with positives, like higher death rates meant more promotions. Also you could still beat the poo poo out of people for being slapdicks, or alternatively be beaten. I mean, whatever

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 1, 2015

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LingcodKilla posted:

True,true. Honestly the 60s 70s and early 80s sounded terrible especially with the lack of easy (comparative) communication home.

A lot of people enlisted for just this very reason.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

You think they made Chief, let alone Master Chief, by wanting to spend prolonged time with their wife and kids?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mr. Nice! posted:

You call him gary or whatever his name is. If you want to call him master chief, call him master chief.

Just reiterating. Master Chief or Name are both completely acceptable and appropriate.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LingcodKilla posted:

Holy crap guys. Not everyone is bitter about their career! He greets me from across the church as "Boot!" And asks me how my terrible reserve career is going. He retired in the 80s and genuinely likes to chat my ear off about inconsequential interesting stuff.

Then call him Master Chief? He will probably get a kick out of someone using his title.

We have four on our ship and I call them all Master Chief on the radio and by their first names in person. So navy isn't as uptight about ranks as marines are.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Was a silly question anyways. I've been on a first name basis for at least ten years.

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013

CMD598 posted:

By the time Ford is fully operational I expect berthings to look exactly the same, as in I expect zero improvements.

In other news there were apparently too many AMs signed up in 2013, so anybody know how life as an IT is?

Yes, pretty sure we're both in the same airwing, hit me up on the boat and i'll answer whatever questions you have

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Then call him Master Chief? He will probably get a kick out of someone using his title.

We have four on our ship and I call them all Master Chief on the radio and by their first names in person. So navy isn't as uptight about ranks as marines are.

They only let you call them by the first name because you're a jarhead. A regular sailor would get the poo poo chewed out of them.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Chuckle posted:

Yes, pretty sure we're both in the same airwing, hit me up on the boat and i'll answer whatever questions you have

I was gonna ask our guys, but my smoke breaks have been a lot less frequent lately (what with actually flying) so I haven't seen them much lately.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

ded posted:

They only let you call them by the first name because you're a jarhead. A regular sailor would get the poo poo chewed out of them.

They let me call them by their first name because everyone in the Chief's Mess goes by first name. Even so, jarheads are much more formal about stuff. No one but the CO calls anyone by their first name (at least on the ground side) and everyone else still calls him sir.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

They let me call them by their first name because everyone in the Chief's Mess goes by first name. Even so, jarheads are much more formal about stuff. No one but the CO calls anyone by their first name (at least on the ground side) and everyone else still calls him sir.

I never met a chief that wouldn't freak out about that. You are not seeing something normal.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

ded posted:

I never met a chief that wouldn't freak out about that. You are not seeing something normal.

When in Rome I guess... It was a little weird to me since I had to learn all the CPO rates, first, and last names because they all went by different things depending on who I was talking to. So it was either BMCS, Senior Chief Smith, or Joe depending on the situation. It took me almost a month to get most of the stuff down and then a bunch of people PCSd.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ded posted:

Chiefs always refer to each other by first name so :shrug:, at least over here in Japan it seems.

Same with officers etc.

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013

CMD598 posted:

I was gonna ask our guys, but my smoke breaks have been a lot less frequent lately (what with actually flying) so I haven't seen them much lately.

yeah, just swing by our shop, ask for the LPO and i'll answer any questions

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

ded posted:

What? No, that's normal. In the mess we're people, theoretically. Mostly we're dickbags but we're dickbags on a first name basis and with more lumpia than the rest of the crew. :chiefsay:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

poopkitty posted:

What? No, that's normal. In the mess we're people, theoretically. Mostly we're dickbags but we're dickbags on a first name basis and with more lumpia than the rest of the crew. :chiefsay:

All of my chiefs are pretty good, with the exception of my Admin chief, he's just weird. We had a 30 minute conversation where I am positive he did not understand what I was trying to talk to him about.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Hekk isn't seeing anything crazy. He's allowed into the mess and poo poo is different in the treefort.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Mr. Nice! posted:

Hekk isn't seeing anything crazy. He's allowed into the mess and poo poo is different in the treefort.

Oh I see. He's a jarhead brownshirt. Got it.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

orange juche posted:

Same with officers etc.

In case anyone's curious, generally only seniors refer to their juniors by their first name. The lines get blurred when you're talking about JO's (and staff corps types) though so Ensigns and JG's will be on a first name basis, and even some Ensigns, JGs, and Lieutenants depending on the exact situation, but once you start getting past that level it's exceedingly rare for juniors stationed at the same command to call an O4+ by their first names.

Also, Officer FITREPS are also generally written using first names, ie: "-BACK STABBER: Joe is one of the best Lieutenants I've ever observed at throwing his peers under the bus, promote now!".

Feel free to resume rack chat now.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Dear Cyber Awareness Dev Team: please let the game include an option to be even meaner to the stupid looking fucker who asks to use your BlackBerry to check his email. I hate his idiot face and I'd never let him touch my phone even if it were allowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Applewhite posted:

Dear Cyber Awareness Dev Team: please let the game include an option to be even meaner to the stupid looking fucker who asks to use your BlackBerry to check his email. I hate his idiot face and I'd never let him touch my phone even if it were allowed.

What do you mean there's no option to punch him in his lovely face? It's what i'd do if I caught a fuckhead trying to swipe my phone irl.

• Locked thread